I'll Sing You

18cm

"Okay, so here's the plan," Soonyoung walked back and forth across the park bench, expression completely serious, "We're going to get one of those time-turner thingies from that documentary."

Minghao and Chan blinked, exchanging puzzled glances at each other. "Erm, what documentary...?" Junhui ventured, actually scared to hear the answer.

"You know, that documentary about wizards in England or something."

"Hoshi, that's n-"

"Hush, I'm trying to think. All we have to do is get a plane, fly to Europe, get our hands on one of those, then voila, everything is going to be fine!" Soonyoung threw his arms up in the air triumphantly as the rest of the unit watched him with horror in their eyes as it began to dawn on them that their leader was being a hundred percent serious and may actually fly out on his own if he had to. It was only three days after their last trip to the coffee shop with the whole group, and Soonyoung had already fallen deep into the abyss known as insanity. The manager had informed them about their "preview space", basically the area where they can set up a preview for their solo stage showcase, and apparently it was the park Soonyoung had insisted on going to a couple days ago.

Well, now that they were there, none of them were quite sure what to do. They were supposed to present their preview by the end of this week, but they had a couple of disagreements regarding which segment to present.

"We should go with the dark concept, everyone likes some manly, powerful dance moves!"

"It's the park, there are going to be kids there, the music might scare them."

"We're not trying to attract kids though."

"Still, think of the children, Soonyoung."

"I agree, powerful dance moves attract attention easily."

"You just want an excuse to show off your b-boying, Minghao."

Junhui sighed. They figured they would have a clearer idea if they physically went down and checked out the space themselves, but... having a "dance battle theme" did seem quite intrusive to the park's peaceful atmosphere. He and Soonyoung agreed that a gentler and smoother theme would fit more, but... so far, there was nothing they could come up with that wouldn't make people simply walk away or fall asleep.

So that's how they ended up here, with Soonyoung losing his mind on top of a bench, an unhappy Minghao and a pouting Chan sitting at his feet, and just a completely lost Junhui; at least that wasn't anything new.

...Oh, why does Soonyoung think a time-turner would solve their problem? That's right, aside from deciding what they should prepare for their preview, Soonyoung apparently promised Seungcheol that they'd show up for their interview in the afternoon this time, overlooking the fact that they were supposed to dedicate their afternoon to "secret rehearsals".

"It wasn't just any promise, it was a pinky-promise." Soonyoung had tried and failed to explain. They figured they should resume their activities with the group sooner or later or else someone was definitely going to catch on, especially Seungcheol.

"Admit it, he brought Seokmin along and you fell for his puppy eyes."

"W-what does Seokmin have anything to do with it? Are you trying to be funny? Well, you've failed! Haha, and that's why you're not part of BooSeokSoon!"

"...I don't think that's-"

"Back to practice!"

Anyway, that brings us back to the present with the Performance Unit trying to juggle two problems at the same time. Junhui was starting to worry that none of them would be able to focus on the interview later on if they continued to fry their brains like this. Clearly they weren't getting anything out of just sitting around and feeding each other's anxiety.

"Guys, why don't we... call it a day?" He expected the others to protest more, but they were surprisingly compliant. Maybe the heat was getting to them in addition to the stress... it was nearing noon after all.

The four shuffled back, tired and dejected, to the dorms where a van was waiting outside. Junhui blinked in confusion. Usually there should be more than one... there was no way they could fit thirteen people in there after all.

"Hurry up, where were you guys?! The interview is starting!" A staff waiting in the van shouted at them from the window.

The boys' eyes grew wide as they realized they had spent way more time than they thought pondering in the park. You have got to be kidding me.Junhui gritted his teeth with annoyance as he scurried into the vehicle with the others. Coming late to an interview means letting down their leader, the whole group, and the staff members that worked so hard to match their schedules and organize everything so that they can just focus on... well, showing up on time for one thing.

Once safely buckled up, Junhui leaned against the window and sighed. Everything seemed to be getting more and more helpless.


"Where are they?!" Seungkwan's tone seemed exasperated, but there was more worry than annoyance in his voice. The group had managed to stall some more time for the Performance Unit by suggesting that the interviews go by units. However, now that both units have gone, the situation seemed more urgent than ever. The present members were all gathered in the waiting room, waiting as the staff prepared the set-up for the last unit.

Thankfully, the Performance Unit arrived just in the nick of time and were ushered on stage immediately before anyone could confront them about their lateness and potentially wrangle the truth out of them. Seungkwan certainly didn't seem like he was going to rest until a full explanation was given as he glared at the screen in the waiting room, ready to pounce on the dancers as soon as they were done.

"He looks tired." Jihoon noted, his eyes glued to a particular member as he watched the filming from his spot.

"He?"

"They look tired." Jihoon corrected himself almost too hastily.

Jeonghan snorted. Could this kid be anymore obvious? He couldn't deny it though, the dancers did seem abnormally out of stamina, that was particularly odd for them given their role in the group. Usually they were the last to give out during full rehearsals.

"All right, gather around, children." Jeonghan called, clapping his hands and scooting his chair over to the long table set near the center of the room. The other members began to follow suit obediently, though not exactly in an orderly manner. The mother of the group gently placed a hand flat against the table, "This thing with the Performance Unit... I'm sure we've all noticed it."

Nods of agreement all around the table.

"Now, does anyone have any idea at all what is up with that?"

No response.

Jeonghan glanced over at Seungcheol. Surely as the leader he would have some information, right? Sadly, that wasn't the case.

"I figured they'd eventually explain to us-"

"Eventually is not enough! It's actually starting to show physically that they're overworking! The amount of times they need to excuse themselves from whole group events is getting ridiculous!" Seungkwan cut in, not sugar-coating the agitation in his tone, "We need to get the truth out of them. I don't care by what means."

Seungcheol sighed, knowing very well that Seungkwan had a point, but he wanted to trust that Soonyoung knew what he was doing, that thePerformance Unit knew what they were doing. "Well... if it will make everyone feel calmer... I guess Jihoon and I can try talking to Soonyoung during our next production meeting. You know, start small."

"And if that doesn't work?" Wonwoo inquired, concern clear in his voice despite the usual lazy tone clinging on.

"Well... let's just say more drastic measures will be taken." Seungcheol promised.

The room began to grow quieter afterwards as everyone gradually returned to their original positions, not noticing that the Performance Unit had slipped out immediately after receiving an okay for their segment, racing back to the practice as fast as they could for rehearsal.

By the end of the day, Soonyoung couldn't even get himself to stay awake during the production meeting, forcing Jihoon and Seungcheol to postpone it to a later date.

"So... about the drastic measures-" Seungcheol began as he and Jihoon stared down at Soonyoung's snoring figure that had barely made itself onto the bed.

"I got it."


Junhui slipped out to the park early in the morning, thinking maybe he'd be able to think of something better on his own now that it was quieter without the constant bickering that has been occurring for the past few days within the unit. He felt vaguely concerned about it, but at the same time, he was certain that it'd take more than just a challenge like this to actually break their bond, everyone was just pressured at the moment... that's all, he hoped.

As he came closer to the bench they were "hanging out" at the day before, he noticed that someone had beaten him to it. A very familiar someone.

"Jihoon!" Junhui called out, mostly in surprise but he couldn't hide the delight in his voice as well, which he regretted slightly. Wonwoo was right, he was hopelessly obvious about his affection towards their vocal leader.

"Hey." Jihoon's voice was calm, but his eyebrows raised slightly from surprise upon seeing his fellow band mate, his hand gently tugged out his earbuds.

"I didn't know you come here." Almost by reflex, Junhui took a seat next to the smaller man on the bench, the atmosphere definitely felt more relaxing in comparison to the last time they interacted, which seemed so far away now that he was reminded of it.

"Yeah... it's a nice place for song inspiration, actually. The studio's too cooped up, the dorm is too noisy, same goes for the coffee shop." Jihoon watched as Junhui nodded in understanding, his eyes looking at him intently, the usual Junhui look, to be honest. Whenever he was in a conversation with someone, Junhui would make sure to put all of his attention on his partner, no matter how unimportant or short the topic was. Jihoon knew very well that anyone talking to Junhui would feel, well, special, and in that sense nobody was; Jihoon couldn't help himself from sharing the same feeling, however.

Junhui smiled knowingly, he loved it when Jihoon talked to him about his plans for new songs, their seemed to be so much passion in his eyes whenever he brings them up. He could tell that Jihoon genuinely loved and put immeasurable effort into his works. "The new piece you're working on... what is it?" He prompted.

"It's... not exactly a new piece, it's more of an arrangement. I just finished the instrumental yesterday, and I was thinking about giving it a demo reel with the vocal unit members later." Jihoon explained, offering Junhui one earbud, which the latter took compliantly.

As the music played, Junhui's eyes widened at the familiar tune, "Adore U?"

"Yeah, mellowed down."

"It... sounds like something the vocal unit would sing at the other two unit's funeral."

"...What?"

"I'm kidding with you." Junhui laughed, feeling sweat forming beneath his palms from the awkwardness. Why would he say something so stupid? He was usually good with this stuff, or at least he was trained to be good with compliments, for fanmeets and such. "...Would you sing a part for me?" Junhui asked as the instrumental continued to play from Jihoon's phone. He cringed slightly when the latter shifted away and looked up at him with confusion in his eyes. "I mean, I... it might be easier for me to envision it if you give a little show of how it'd sound like with lyrics." He quickly explained lamely, eyes darting around for any sign of the infamous guitar Jihoon used as a self-defense weapon.

After slight hesitation, Jihoon looked around, making sure that no one else was around them before rewinding the instrumental, singing from the first verse and up to the first chorus to Junhui softly, but his voice rang clearly in the dancer's ears, he could feel a slight warmth engulfing him as he closed his eyes, listening intently to the voice he adored so much. Slightly shy from singing out loud in a park, especially to Junhui, Jihoon eventually stopped, pausing the instrumental, then hurriedly grabbing back his earbuds and putting away his phone, ears slightly red.

Junhui watched his actions curiously, finding Jihoon's surprisingly sheepish actions to be endearing. Gently leaning forward so that they were making eye contact again, Junhui breathed out in almost a whispering tone, "I really like your voice."

"I should hope so, or else my position as the Vocal Unit's leader would be greatly questionable." Jihoon attempted to hide his embarrassment with (what appears to be) confidence.

"Mhm." Junhui hummed nonchalantly, not missing the slight redness that was starting to spread on Jihoon's cheeks. Man, he's cute... I wonder if that happens whenever he gets complimented?

"...You're not a bad singer yourself. I know I don't give you a lot of lines, but..."

"Don't worry, I know it's not your decision alone. Besides, I'm perfectly happy as long as I even get a part in your songs." Junhui smiled.

Jihoon was relieved to see that his usual positive energy had returned, he was starting to miss it, and he was smiling back before he could notice himself.

After a moment of silence between them, Junhui finally stood up. "I guess I have to go now. The others are probably starting to wake up. Come to think of it, you're usually one of the last ones to wake up... Don't tell me you just hang out here early in the morning, go back, fall asleep again and refuse to wake up to our calls?" He raised an eyebrow suspiciously at the other man.

"You're overthinking it."

Junhui laughed, jogging back towards the dorm, throwing one last sentence over his shoulder, "This was nice."

"...I really meant it, you know." Jihoon called after him before he could disappear completely out of earshot.

"What?"

"...I really like your voice, too." Jihoon wasn't sure if the dancer heard him or not, and if he did, he certainly didn't show it.


It was finally the day the Performance Unit were expected to present their preview. As the four stretched in the park, ready for their brief show, Soonyoung couldn't help praising Junhui, "I'm surprised you were able to come up with this idea, I mean, we were all so stressed that we failed to see that the answer was much simpler than we thought."

"Yeah, stress does that to people." Chan muttered unhelpfully as he swung his arms loose in large angles.

Minghao rolled his eyes, but in a playful manner.

"All right, you guys ready?" Soonyoung walked over to the CD player.

The other three gave him a nod.

Soonyoung quickly went back into position after starting the music. A tune familiar to all of them started playing, a tune that brought back memories of their debut, their anticipation, anxiety, and bliss after giving all they've got to present an enjoyable performance. It wasn't anything fancy, the important thing was that they showed the audience how much fun they were having performing, so much that it was contagious, and hopefully by the end, everyone would have a smile on their faces.

Sure enough, their performance attracted a crowd in no time, captivated by their smooth movements, quick and playful banter with each other in-between choreography changes, and their ever-changing expressions which fully conveyed how much fun they were having just doing what they do best. Performing.

"Is that... Adore U?" Hansol stopped walking, a juice box in hand as he tried to peer over the crowd. "Interesting, what exactly's going on though? Mingyu-hyung, can you see?"

The tallest of the boys glanced over, "Oh, hey, it's Minghao and everyone else!"

"Glad to know the only name that exists to you is Minghao's." Jihoon grumbled, still in a foul morning mood (Junhui was right about certain things). He could barely see the performance as he tried peeking through the gaps in-between people, but the crowd seemed restless due to the influence of the Performance Unit's passion.

Adore you!

From the brief flash from his peek-gap, Jihoon could have sworn that he saw Jun point to him for the final chorus, but then again, how could he possibly seek him out from this crowd? It was just a coincidence, or rather, wishful thinking.

"When did they plan this?" Hansol let out a low whistle as the performance ended, cheering and clapping along with the crowd, "I mean, was this the thing that was keeping them busy?"

"I sure hope so. I mean, now that it's over they'll be able to do stuff with us again, right?" Mingyu said, sipping his drink nonchalantly.

"'Do stuff'... you seriously couldn't think of a better word choice?" Jihoon sighed. It would be nice if it was as simple as that, but somehow he could feel that it wasn't it. Why would they work so hard over such a small "gig"? Also, why didn't they tell them? Instead of solving his worries, he felt that they increased.

He watched as the Performance Unit smiled, waved, and thanked everyone for watching as they cleaned up the area. Letting out another sigh, Jihoon turned his focus to one particular tanned dancer, "Well, at least he's smiling..."

"Chan! That was amazing!" Hansol called, running over to ruffle his boyfriend's hair affectionately, "You're amazing." He gave such a cheesy grin that Jihoon almost gagged. He was used to Hansol being a fellow cringe-partner whenever the others were being extra extra, but he's slowly starting realize that Hansol was probably the king of cringe worthiness, especially around Chan.

"Yeah, good job." If Mingyu were a cat, he'd be purring, but he's a giant puppy so instead, he immediately looped his arms around Minghao's waist, rubbing his cheek against the top of the shorter's head eagerly. "Wish you had told me beforehand though."

"You'd just make a big deal out of it... like now." Minghao replied, clearly not matching Mingyu's enthusiasm, but nonetheless allowed the shower of affection.

Junhui looked up from his spot, his expression almost expectant as Jihoon made eye contact with him.

"Erm... yeah, that was cool." Jihoon said stiffly, half-stumbling awkwardly towards Soonyoung and giving him a halfhearted pat on the back.

Back towards Junhui, Soonyoung gave Jihoon a skeptical look, amusement gleaming in his eyes, "Really? I was the coolest? Aw, thank you, Jihoonie."

"Forget I said anything."

"Come oonnnn~" The contrast between their members' stage personality and actual personality was shocking sometimes.

Junhui forced himself to keep up his smile while mentally trying to hypnotize himself into thinking that there were more awkward things that could happen, he shouldn't feel awkward now. And he was right.

"It's okay, Jun. I'm sure you can find yourself a romantic partner soon, too." Wonwoo said in a mockingly comforting manner, slinging an arm around the older's shoulders.

"Right, thanks...?" Junhui was slightly shocked to see him there, he hadn't noticed his presence at all even in the small group that happened to catch their performance. He was getting way too good...

"We're not romantic partners." Jihoon quickly denied.

"Sure, sure~" Jihoon scowled, wondering why Soonyoung was being so unhelpful today. Wasn't he the one who's been telling him to go after Junhui ever since he figured out his crush?

"Is something wrong with you and Seokmin? Because if you're trying to play the jealousy card, find someone else." Jihoon hissed in Soonyoung's ear.

Instead of replying, Soonyoung simply copied Wonwoo, slinging an arm around Jihoon's shoulders.

Chan darted his eyes between the two "couples", it was obvious what the two "wing-men" were trying to do, and he could almost see the sparks flying between the four as the awkwardness sunk in deeper. Shrugging lightly, Chan began to head back to the dorm with Hansol still clinging to him, muttering things about giving the younger a massage later, wondering if age somehow also increased oblivion towards mutual affection.