A Family Took 4, 10, 11, 12, 13 Years To Complete.

13 Is A (Fun) Crowd

As a kid, Joshua thought he knew what a family is. Someone who shared the same blood. At least that's what his parents told him. That belief has almost been crushed when the news of his parent’s death comes. At that time, Joshua isn’t old enough to understand the concept of death but he's old enough to understand that his parent is never going back, ever. The family he knew is only his parents so there's nobody else who shares Joshua's rare blood right? Wrong because apparently Joshua's mom has a sister who would care for Joshua. A four years old Joshua move across the country that night.

When Joshua first saw his aunt, he thought she was pretty albeit a little manly and flat-chested. Until the social worker spoke. "Joshua, this is your cousin Jeonghan, he'll help take care of you with his mom." Joshua's a bright kid, he noticed the 'he', and oh well.

It turns out that living with Jeonghan and his mom isn’t that bad. True, Jeonghan's mom is rarely home and Joshua spend most of his time in a friend's house and alone, partly to grief partly because both are gone most of the time. Jeonghan said that he spend most time outside the house because the last year of high school is hard and Jeonghan needs to study with his friends. Joshua learned how to take care of himself, at least small things which seems big for a four year old. That year Joshua becomes more mature then other four years old.

A month after Joshua's arrival, a fight between his aunt and cousin happened. Joshua's going to have another younger cousin or he could call the baby 'sibling' Jeonghan said when Joshua asked. When Joshua asked how he's supposed to feel, Jeonghan said bittersweet with a pained smile. Joshua just nod numbly.

5 months later, the baby was born. It was a 7 month old premature. Jeonghan didn’t know his mom was pregnant for already two months when she break the news. The boy was named Jihoon. 

6 years later, Jeonghan has become the owner of his newly made coffee shop. Jeonghan's mom has also died 8 months ago. But this particular day, Jeonghan's ex has asked to meet up. Jeonghan wouldn’t refuse, she still hasn’t paid some of her debts. Joshua actually doesn’t want Jeonghan to go, but he's already leaving. All Joshua could do now is huff like a child he is and cuddled Jihoon, who Joshua now have a habit of calling Woozi. Why Woozi? Simple, it's because Jihoon first word was juchi or something which Joshua mistook as Woozi, another reason is because Jihoon's bite marks, Jihoon is a violent little baby, which after being implanting teeth marks to Joshua's forearm looks like a woozy zigzag, Woozi. While the six year old continue to doze off in his arm, Joshua took a glance at the man in the room corner. A friend of Jeonghan. He's boring but he's a very good cook. Although Joshua oppose the idea of him being here, Joshua can’t wait for lunch time to come. As Joshua continued burying his head to Jihoon's hair he could at least thanked Jeonghan for allowing Joshua's bestfriend, Taehyung, to come play no matter how weird Taehyung is and how messy the house is going to be.

Taehyung failed to show up, so Joshua sleeps with Woozi. When Joshua woke up, there's bite marks on his arm and Woozi is calmly playing his toys on the floor making whoosh sound from his mouth every two seconds. Two voices rang from the kitchen and his stomach growled, he wants lunch, and he wants Jeonghan's friend cooked lunch. But then he realizes that there is soft snoring from his aunt's room. And that the two voices he heard weren’t from Jeonghan and Jeonghan's friend, it was Jeonghan's voice with another person whose voice is very high pitched and childlike. That day, ten years old Joshua become the older brother of three kids instead of just one.

 

Most days, Joshua very much enjoy his time alone, he loves his siblings but he wants quiet times too even though he spend most of his break time watching them, but he usually postponed getting out of school, but today he literally rushed outside of the gates searching signs for either his parent figure or his siblings. But Joshua is particularly searching for one sibling, someone who got into a fight. Joshua found all three of his siblings with Jeonghan, and another guy with three kids and both are happily chatting. The three pair of kids also seemed close and enjoy each other company. Joshua stared at his happy sibling, sullenly he stalked back into the school library and sit, staring at his phone waiting for Jeonghan to call. Joshua hated his siblings, they took Jeonghan's attention away not only from Joshua but from Jeonghan's work too. Those three kids are also a burden for Joshua to take care of. He wishes that they're gone but that's never going too happened so Joshua decided that he will walk slowly to annoy the kids. But when Jeonghan called, Joshua find himself running anyway, worried that his siblings have been waiting for too long.

Joshua started to make other friends than Taehyung, granted most are younger and is his siblings' friends, Joshua doesn’t actually mind and actually liking the thought of living his lost childhood with his younger friends. The three he saw with his siblings are actually nice kids and better friends.

Joshua and the other six kids was brought by Jeonghan to the park Seungkwan and Seungkwan's friend, Vernon had that fight. The park was amazing! That's what Joshua would use to describe the park with his limited vocabulary, amazing which means a wonder and the park is a wonder. While his sibling and newly made friends play on the playground, Joshua stood by the side and watch the surrounding scenery. He looked past the bushes and shudder. At the age of eleven, Joshua was sure there was some pair of eyes behind those bushes, four more accurately.

It was a month after the mysterious eyes that Jeonghan and Seungcheol decided to move in together. They said that it's because of the kids whining to be together, but Joshua heard rumors that his old apartment building is going to be tore down so he guessed that there are other reasons than just that. The seven boys has really become true siblings in everything but blood, although Joshua doesn’t liked the fact that he got 6 boys to take care of now. But Joshua does enjoy that there is six kids that adores him like an idol, it gives Joshua motivation to have the best grades which is necessary considering Joshua's going to middle school next year. But even though the six kids is what motivate him to study harder, they are also the same person who makes him loses concentration in studying, always asking him to play with them. But Joshua is thankful, they reminded him that he need to relax too, always making sure he's not stressed from every impossible homework. At the age of eleven, Joshua claims six boys as his little brother, his family. He feels that he's missing something though.

Joshua celebrated his birthday two weeks after moving in. He's twelve now and Joshua would like to think that he's mature.

 

A month after moving in, some strange things happened. On a Saturday evening Joshua finished his group study. He exited the library laughing with his friends who ran ahead towards their parents car, Joshua walked calmly toward his cousin and Seungcheol. Up until now Joshua still isn’t sure what he should call the both of them. Jeonghan is Joshua's cousin and Seungcheol is Jeonghan's friend so calling them hyung would be the right thing but that doesn’t seem to fit. Call them ajae or uncle also seems weird. Joshua wished he could be like Jihoon who is Jeonghan's brother who could call Jeonghan Appa or Eomma as the six kids like to call Jeonghan for his beautiful long hair. And he actually wished that he could call Seungcheol Appa like the other kids do, but unlike with his mother, Joshua still remember his father, although it's on a single thin thread waiting to snap. So calling Seungcheol Appa is a no for that would be awkward. Up until now Joshua would usually use a mumbled hyung or just a tug on the sleeve. Anyway, Joshua gets alarmed when he saw both Jeonghan and Seungcheol being extra conscious and checking their pockets every minutes. Joshua just wonders, he doesn’t asked.

Seungcheol has also acted weird when he came home once, he keeps on looking at both of his hands and checking his pockets. Joshua heard Jeonghan asked that night about Seungcheol's weird behavior and that Seungcheol has done it since break time at Jeonghan's shop or at least that's when Jeonghan noticed. But before Joshua can heard what Seungcheol said, he fell asleep right on top of his math textbook.

Jeonghan doesn’t act weird, but Joshua would count pulling Seungcheol for a quick talk after he got home is weird. Joshua quickly follows. 
"The kids that helped you to the bus stop was the kids who helped us with the thief right?"
Bus stop? Thief? Is that what made Jeonghan and Seungcheol so jumpy at the library?
"They came to my shop today, you know how quiet a coffee shop is in those hours right? The kids came to my shop today. The four of them dance right in front of the shop and suddenly it's crowded again! They dance, which was pretty cool for small kids like them."
"They kind of fill the cash register to the max. And it also kills boredom."

Jeonghan and Seungcheol continue talking but Joshua isn’t paying attention anymore. Joshua's to busy trying to conclude all of this. So apparently, Joshua conclude, there's four kids that helped Jeonghan and Seungcheol that day when he was studying with his friend, both of them were probably robbed and the four kids helped them. And then Seungcheol was helped to get to the bus stop by the four kids, but that doesn’t explain why he keep checking his pocket. And today the same four kids helped Jeonghan with his shop. That's all Joshua got but he's missing something. Wasn’t the two boys that Seungkwan and Vernon helped on that fight called two other boys? Joshua hurries to Seungkwan to make sure. On the age of twelve Joshua make a great detective.

So apparently there was two boys who went with the two kids that got pushed down. Joshua thought hard. What does it have to do with Seungcheol and Jeonghan. They, as in Jeonghan, Seungcheol, Joshua, and the other six kids are walking to the park, each exited in different ways. His siblings are probably excited to play, maybe the swings or the slide or the puzzle, each having different thoughts. Seungkwan and Vernon admitted to Joshua that they wanted to see the boys they save which is the reason they're excited, although both are starting to lose hope. Jeonghan and Seungcheol are probably excited to just chat at their usual bench. And Joshua is excited to see the scenery, which reminds him of the eyes behind the bushes. There was four pair of eyes, if Joshua remember correctly, and the height would have been perfect for a standing or a crouching kid in Seungkwan and Vernon's age. Does that mean they saw Jeonghan and Seungcheol with Seungkwan and Vernon and draw conclusions? Before Joshua could elaborate that thought, he heard four pair of feet padding across the ground.

 

Joshua looked up to two boys hugging Seungkwan and Vernon, both who are hugging back at the same ferocity. Behind the two unknown boys are two other boys. The four unknown boys ran after a quick bow and a thank you. Joshua quickly follows them with his eyes, when he saw Jeonghan and Seungcheol waved towards the kids, he knows it’s the truth without proof. The proof he needed come towards him fast though, as Seungkwan, who is dragging a surprised Vernon with him, told him how happy he is seeing that both the boys he save are well. As Joshua looked at the excitedly jumping Seungkwan and the smiling Jeonghan and Seungcheol, Joshua knew something will happened to the four boys. And it will be good for them, hopefully.

Joshua sat under the tree a little far away from the playground where his siblings and the four boys are playing. He's reading his favorite manga now instead of watching the scenery, they have been going here a lot. And they have been playing with the four boys a lot, Joshua keeps on the sidelines though. Joshua noticed that the tallest among the four have been close to Jihoon, seemingly enjoying talking while sitting on the swings. The one with the small eyes has also been close to Jihoon when he found out Jihoon enjoy music a lot although a bit differently where one sings and one danced. But the small eyes seemed to be closer to Seokmin and Seungkwan and causing mayhem, not a single second past without puns, gags, and laughs when the three are together. The one with the cute voice seemed to take a liking hanging out with Mingyu although both fight like cats and dogs. But Mingyu still prefers Wonwoo and cute voice still prefer the smallest boy within the four. The smallest and seemingly the youngest of the four has been the one who stick to others first, he sticks to Seungkwan and Vernon, mostly Vernon and jokes a lot. The same with the cute voiced one though, youngest would prefer cute voiced than Seungkwan and Vernon. Joshua suddenly felt a tap on his shoulder. Joshua saw the youngest of the four shyly pointing to the toilet. Joshua saw the other three boys busy with other things. Cute voiced and Mingyu is cutely arguing again. Small eyed is busy laughing. Tallest is busy talking with Jihoon, waving his hands excitedly. And when Joshua looked questioningly at the youngest, the youngest said.

"I shouldn’t go alone. And hyung is lonely."

Joshua blinked slightly and stood, holding his hand out for the younger to hold. Joshua walk with the boy in silence until Joshua asked what the younger name is. The boy answered that his hyung won’t let him tell. That's when Joshua noticed the boy's cowlick and when they reach the toilet. Joshua waited outside for the boy while thinking. And when the boy when outside, Joshua told him that he'll call the boy Dino. They boy just nodded excitedly, agreeing to the idea. When Dino says "thank you Oshua-hyung", Joshua can’t help the happy feeling in his chest even when the pronounce is incorrect.

When Joshua and Dino reach the playground again, Joshua is quickly ambushed by cute voiced. The smaller boy hiding behind Joshua with a giggle, hiding from Mingyu apparently. And when Mingyu come closer, Joshua was surprised to hear the cute voice addressed him. "Joshi-hyung! Up! Up!" And Joshua did lift him up, the boy is so light, Joshua thought of a person on diet. Up in the air, the boy who Joshua would call as The8 or diet as it sounded similar, quickly did a raspberry blow towards Mingyu. Joshua let him down a few minutes later when he felt his arms are about to collapsed. Mingyu and The8 quickly ran away giggling.

The next who came to him is small eyes with Seokmin and Seungkwan. "Joshua-hyung! Seokmin and Seungkwan said that you have a funny gag. Show me!" And Joshua did no matter how embarrassing that is. But he enjoyed the boy's laugh, every boys' laugh, and he would do everything to hear it all again and again.

When the tallest approached him, Joshua has once again settled against the tree and continue his reading. Suddenly his source of light is blocked and he looked up to see tallest leaning in front of him. "Joshua-hyung. Isn’t that the new chapter of One Piece? Can I read it with you? Please." And Joshua just patted the ground beside him. Both exited to have someone with the same interest.

Jeonghan and Seungcheol is planning something. Apparently they wanted to get the kids' names. Fortunately for Joshua, the den is right next to his room. So Joshua doesn’t need to go sneaking to know the plan, he just needed to lean on his wall. Joshua liked to call Jeonghan and Seungcheol's plan as 'Plan Sugar Rush' and he's excited for it, he wanted to complete his family as soon as possible. 

Although he's excited for Plan Sugar Rush, he can’t help but feel guilty, he's sure the four will be totally exhausted. And Joshua isn’t sure where they sleep at night but Joshua wanted to make sure they made it wherever they spend the night safely. So when the plan is on the run, Joshua gave his ice-cream to Seungkwan while Joshua spend the whole time under his tree. After Jeonghan and Seungcheol got their names and are planning to go home, Joshua excuse himself for a bit to buy four ice-cream to the four boys with his own money, then he joined the others.

Jeonghan and Seungcheol began to have stacks of work to do. Both almost having no time to play with the kids. When his siblings complained to Joshua about their parents work, Joshua just smile. "After this, I'm sure you guys wont regret letting them do their work in peace. The faster the better. And I'm sure you guys are going to like what's going to come." The kids stop complaining then, they decided to just play alone instead. Joshua decided to give them a hint when he figured the time is near. "Let's go and clean up the empty beds and that one empty room." The kids having getting the hint got excited and clean the room, some giving their plushies and stickers to decorate the room. When Seungcheol looked questioningly at him, Joshua smiled and nod his head. Joshua agreed to this idea very much. 

Mingyu approach Joshua one day asking if the boys from the park are really going to live with them. Joshua said yes, it actually depends on if they agreed but Joshua's not going to tell Mingyu that, plus he's pretty sure they would agree.

They did. When Joshua went home after tutoring his friends, it was rowdy even from outside. Joshua said a quiet 'sorry' for his neighbor and went inside. His siblings, now ten instead of six, who are playing what seems like tag quickly paused and look at him. Ten different voices of "Joshua-hyung" rang trough out the house and Joshua like this melody very much. The kids all play with him excitedly excluding two of the newest addition, Minghao and Chan, who are still shy. Joshua doesn’t mind although it does hurt a bit. But when night comes, Joshua found his blanket being tugged, "Joshua-hyung, sleep with us." And Joshua did, leading Minghao and Chan to their room and putting the bed together, then they slept. Joshua liked this very much. At the age of twelve, Joshua accepted four more sibling. At the age of twelve, Joshua like the fact that he has ten little brothers.

 

Joshua woke up to four cute voices of the four youngest members in the family. "Joshua-hyung! Wake up!" They staged whispered, Joshua did wake up only to pin his four siblings to the bed and cuddled up to them. They squealed happily and Joshua would have slept again if it wasn’t for the sudden burst of his door and his three more excited siblings to jump on top of him. His last three siblings calmly walked up to the bed and sat down. The next to come is Jeonghan and Seungcheol with a cake, cheese cake, Joshua's favorite. The number thirteen stand proudly on top of the cake, slowly melting for the fire on top. "Happy birthday Joshua, Happy birthday Joshua." And twelve important people sang to him that morning. Pushing his siblings from on top of him, Joshua ran to Jeonghan and Seungcheol waiting embrace after Seungcheol put the cake down on top of Joshua's study table. The hug was warm and inviting, like seriously inviting ten more people to join the hug, and ten more people did join the hug. Between his Jeonghan and Seungcheol's chests and his siblings arm, Joshua uttered the words he wanted to say for a long time. "Thanks mom, dad."

At age of thirteen, Joshua finally fully accepted his parent figure and call them accordingly. At the age of thirteen, Joshua's family is complete.