Bowed

13 Is A (Fun) Crowd

They never knew when this thing between them started. They just keep coming across the same pair of shoes, the same size, maybe a little dirtier each time, and then one day, they looked up. Maybe that's when it started, keeping their head down walking in the orphanage getting pushed by others, and noticing each other's shoes. When they look up, it's a little weird but 4 pairs of eyes met and they walk to the canteen together, again putting their little heads down but this time with a small smile which they rarely have. That’s when they know that they have someone to talk to. When each would helped each other ran away from punishment and mean kids, that’s when they know they have found a brother in each other. Then they started laughing at the orphanage backyard, sneaking out every night, seeking wonders that denied others who don’t chase it. Their orphanage is located faraway from town and being raised here since birth, none of the four boys really know what it's like. So in one of their usual sneaking into the night, they brought everything they have, which isn’t much, in a satchel. They looked back at the orphanage once and bowed, it was nice living there. They scurried to town with no navigation the skyscraper and the endless road being their only help. Even though they're young, they have a logical and mature side of themselves having been raised in a hard environment. They managed to adapt to the city life and lived quite comfortably most nights considering that they're runaways, kids’ runaways. They learn to pickpocket and also fight and flee, mostly flee since they have a small frame. But that doesn’t exactly explain how 10 year olds Jun and Soonyoung, 9 year old Minghao, and 7 year old Chan found themselves under Seungcheol and Jeonghan's care, a couple made of angels that put the four boys under their hidden wings.
 

Actually, it does started there, somewhere between their thievery and playtime. It has become a routine for them. Wake up, eat breakfast, pickpocket in the most crowded avenue on the north side of the town, eat lunch downtown, play on the mostly abandoned park on the south side of town, eat dinner somewhere, and sleep. Sleeping is either in the abandoned building on the west side or the cheap inn on the east side whenever they could afford it. Sometimes, they didn’t steal people's money. They earn it in a more legal way, like putting on a street show, they would do a freestyle dance that they learned by watching music MVs on advertisement boards or other streets performers. Other times they would use their dance as a form of distraction to grab wallets with their chubby small hands. They're not beggars, the workers at the orphanage always complains about beggars being annoying, but they aren’t beggars, they work hard for what they earned although it's illegal, or get police chase as their young minds would tell.

They live this way for a year until an accident came. But that accident will lead to a bigger fortune that they won’t ever regret.

 

One afternoon, they have just finished their lunch, just 2 burger for 4, and decided to play in their park. Unfortunately, that usually quiet park are occupied by students, they play anyway. Jun and Soonyoung decided to get an icecream to share while Minghao and Chan decided to play around. They did nothing wrong really, but something happened anyway, like getting bullied by school kids. Both of them being thin and small people would certainly think that they could escape easily, but being thin and small certainly doesn’t helped as much as peoples think. Two boys push them down. Getting beaten certainly isn’t rare when you live on the streets, but usually, there's Jun and Soonyoung to help them, both who are physically stronger than Minghao and Chan. One of the boy managed to punch Chan's tummy once before two other boys came, one have chubby cheeks while the other have a foreigner look. Chan and Minghao actually thought that both the cubby and the foreign would beat them up too, but the chubby one throw a punch towards their attacker. Minghao hurriedly helped Chan to leave while calling both theirs other two companion to leave, both hurriedly helped them and forgetting their ice cream.

The four of them never actually leave the park, they just hid behind the thick bushes.
 

And that was the first time they saw them, the couple of angels, and it certainly won’t be the last time they saw them. And no, it is not a cliché love story. They saw their savior, ok that's exaggerating, helper with their parents. The two are brothers? Twins? They don’t look alike and they doesn’t seem to inherit their looks from their parents? Adopted maybe? Lucky them. Their parents also seems a bit off, they look like a good pair, but if you pay attention (not too much, just as much as an 8 year old could muster) they seemed awkward, like really awkward. But they are the people who raised their helper, so the four boys print the two faces to their head and ran off. Each knowing that they owe the two something, a thank you gift.

The next time the four boys saw the couple, it was back at the park. But now, instead of 2 kids, there's 7. And instead of an awkward atmosphere, the two adults are casually chatting while watching the kids play by the bench. They actually wanted to play there and they have no problem by sharing but one of the kids, one who seemed older than the rest stared to where the four hide and that scared them. They bowed out of respect and asking mercy than turn towards the park’s exit. The four of them quickly left and decided to spend their evening jumping over the western side of town flat short roof buildings.

The first time they repay the debt was on a quiet Saturday. The 7 kids weren’t with the couple and both of the adults are leisurely walk down the sidewalk chatting idly, a huge difference than the first the four boys saw them. They are so relaxed they fail to notice a pickpocket took the longhair’s wallet. So the 4 kids ran forward laughing, a small plan to get the wallet back. Soonyoung ran ahead, just below the couple's intertwined hand gaining their attention. Minghao followed next and bumped to the pickpocket. Chan follow not too far behind, faking surprise and tripped over the man's bag and spilling its content. Jun came next, helped Chan and subtly kick the longhaired adult's wallet towards its owner. The four of the stop for a short while to bow and mumble a rushed apology and continuing their run. The apology was for the thief but the bow was directed towards the couple.
 

The second time they repay their debt was on a Thursday morning and directed toward the puppy eyed adult. At that morning it was obvious that he was antsy. Unlike the first time where they followed him, this one meeting is perfectly a coincidence. The four of them were using the morning crowd as the perfect place to hunt people's wallet. Slipping between adults legs, Jun was the first to notice the puppy eyed man. Jun quickly take another man's wallet and waved for the others while nodding his head towards the puppy eyed. Jun was sure Mr. Puppy eyes sees what Jun did as Jun saw him reach for his pocket, making sure his wallet is safe. But then all of the four boys get in front of the adult and bowed. They then proceed to take said adult's hand to drag him faster toward a bus stop, where the man followed blindly in confusion. Then they quickly left. They were pretty sure the man recognized the four boys. And Jun can’t helped but laugh about the man’s confused face, he’s pretty sure his laugh made the man more confused.

The third time they repay their debt was on a Wednesday morning and directed towards the longhaired. It was that quiet time between the shop's morning rush and lunch hour. Which basically means an empty and boring time for shop's worker. Soonyoung was the first to notice the longhaired adult and his boredness. Minghao was the one who pointed out the 'Owner' position in the longhaired badge, printed in large size and bold. Looking at the few strays of people around the place they decided to help the shop come to the peoples’ focus. So they cross the street, stand outside of the shop, planned a speed choreo, and dance. The owner first thought was that it was rather annoying that some kids decided to have a show in front of his shop. But then it was quite entertaining and customers began to fill in, some ordering then searching for a seat where they could watch the amazing performance while some decide to grab a snack and continue watching outside. When the shop has been crowded, the boys stop, looked past the window and right towards the owner. Then they bowed and leave. They swear that beneath the man's confused, amazed, and grateful expression, they saw recognition. And they’re actually glad an angel or two remembers them.

The fourth and last time they repay their debt was afterschool on a Friday and directed towards the kids. That day, the adults and their 7 kids are heading towards the park, intending to play before going home. The 4 boys are however playing on the playground. When the problem-made family enters the park, the two adults claimed the nearby bench while the kids walk towards the playground. The chubby boy who helped them before was the one who first noticed the 4 boys, he quickly dragged their other helper and ran towards the playground. Chan and Minghao quickly leave what they were doing, Chan leaving the swings while Minghao went down the fire pole. Chan and Minghao quickly ran towards their helper and hug them. Behind them, Soonyoung and Jun approached and smiled warmly. When Chan and Minghao finally let go, the four runaways bows and exclaim a quick thank you, running while waving to those behind them. Their helper returned their wave and smile happily. When the 4 boys ran in front of puppy eyed and longhaired, they saw understanding, gratefulness and a single wave per individual.

They always thought that it would end after that. Their debt, in their count, is paid, they don’t expect anything else. But when they came back to play, they found themselves engulf between 7 kids asked to play together. Their childish mind won’t refuse. The 11 of them play until sundown. And when the adult couple asked for their names, the 4 runaway are too tired to form a fake name, so they say the truth.

When they found the two adult, Seungcheol and Jeonghan they had learned, with what seem to be a social worker in the morning, they weren’t too surprise and are prepared to run. But if the sight didn’t surprised them, the question from the social worker did. A single group hug was all the answer needed for the eleven words question. 

"Do you kids want to get adopted by these lovely couple?" 
 

The answer is of course, yes. They wouldn’t mind, as long as it’s the angels. They let go of the couple step back and bow. The debt is an infinity, and it will keep on growing. But they won’t mind that the most that they could do right now is accept. They bow towards the couple for the last time as stranger. They bow again as a family. 13 members of a nuclear family is a crowd, but they won’t mind.


Yeaaaaaaay! 17 Subscriber for a Seventeen fanfic. Come on let's go! 10 more comments for the vocal unit (Joshua) ver. and 8 more subscriber for the hiphop unit ver.