Chanyeol: Present

Wolves and Thieves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am gathering myself, ready to leave the booth to go back to the counter, get myself a drink and then head out, but I am stopped by the commotion of a girl’s scream splitting the bar’s calm atmosphere into pieces. Before I know it a guy has a gun and is waving it around like a . “Well someone’s gonna kill that guy tonight.”

 

D.O has a hint of amusement laced in his voice, but I am not taking this as light heartedly as him. Neither is one of the guys at the counter. As soon as the man with the gun drags the girl outside with some other men following, the guy at the bar runs out. I am tempted to follow them but D.O grabs my wrist. “Considering your line of work I expected you to be a bit more observant.That guy who went out there can handle it.”

 

I put on my best mom voice. “How do you know that?”

 

“His friend at the bar didn't blink an eye when he left. He’s not that drunk to just let him go out there, unless he knows he's safe.”

 

It is an explanation, but I learned the hard way that your assumptions and guesses don’t always end up right. “That might be true but then again it may not be-”

 

There’s the sound of a man's screams from outside and I swear D.O’s eyes get a glint of satisfaction in them.

 

“I’m still going out there.”

 

D.O releases his hold on me. My steps are light as I bound out the entrance of the bar. Once on the street I find six dead bodies and a crying girl. The guy from the bar seems to have left the scene.

“C-Can you help me?”

 

It's the girl. Her face is beaten badly along with every other part of her body. I crouch down next to her and put my arm around her shoulders, trying to give her condolence. I see flashing on the wall next to us and see that the Enforcers have already been called, they should be here very soon.

“Someone will be here soon, they can help you better than I can” The girl only nods and I let go of her shoulders.

 

I was right about the Enforcers. The sirens fill the night and with me regularly participating in outlawed activities they're not people I want to run into. I look for an escape and see the stairs that are on the side of the apartment complex next to the bars building. I quickly jump onto a trash can and reach for the stairs railings. I heave my body up and place my feet onto the stairs. I don't waste time climbing them to the roof top.

 

The roof is empty with me as an exception. I kneel over the edge of the roof and intently watch the Enforcers handle the leftovers. From here I get their conversation about what to do with the bodies, and then what their further instructions are. Some of them are going to take the bodies to the outlands while the others will go back to the bar and ask around for information on what happened.

 

After they leave I decide it's time for me to head out too. I would prefer not to go back onto the street so I take instead to roof hopping. I switch myself over into my stealthier type of behavior and run across the cracked pavement of the roof.

 

I haven't had to jump a roof in a while and I must admit it has its own strange appeal. The cold wind for once feels nice against my skin,everything seems open and free when you're forty feet above the streets.

 

In just this short time I’ve traveled over two rooftops, one that someone painted a beautiful woman on and the other had a garden growing fire bugs. Never knew rooftops could be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter