Jongin: Present

Wolves and Thieves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While I’m walking back to the Dal I see the figure of a man walking slowly towards me. I don’t think he sees me so I step back into the shadows in attempt to not be seen. At that moment the small tracking device in my pocket begins to beep. “What the hell…” I mutter, looking at the thing.

 

The device’s screen reads in red capital letters, TARGET WITHIN RANGE. TARGET TAGGED. “What?” I whisper, looking up at the man who is investigating the things around us while he walks towards me. “Coincidences, man, they’ve got a sick humor to them.” I murmur.

 

I quickly jump up to the half broken ladder above me which leads to the roof. I pull my body up and begin to climb up. I watch as the man looks at all of the dead bodies and the girl on the ground. He is quick to dart to her side when she inhales deeply. He mutters something that I can’t quite understand. He kneels down next to the girl and begins to have a conversation with her. Damn, she shouldn’t be straining herself talking. It could kill her. He looks around and suddenly the sound of the Republic’s Enforcers’ sirens fill the air. The man quickly leaps onto a trashcan and onto the stairs of the apartment building above them. He climbs up the stairs onto the roof across from the one I’m on. I watch him watch as the Enforcers begin to inspect the bodies. “The girl is still alive, the rest are dead!” calls one of the Enforcers to the others.

 

The Enforcer who appears to be the leader of the others calls out to them. “You two, get the girl back to medical, the rest of you gather the bodies and take them to the outlands, leave’ em for the Skags.”

 

“What are you going to do sir?”

 

“Get a drink, ask a few questions. Everyone clear on their jobs?”

 

The Enforcers all nod and begin doing as they’re told. With a matter of a few minutes they’re all gone and my target stands up and begins to run away, with incredible silence. I stand up to follow him and then I remember a drunken Taemin back at the Dal. “Fu-” I say under my breath as I pull out my burner phone. I text Taemin quickly, ‘Enforcer headed to Dal. Get out.’

 

Just then I hear breathing behind me. I turn around my hand on the hilt of Gleipnir. “Way ahead of you brother.” Taemin smiles as he speaks.

 

His smile is quickly erased however, as he notices the blood on my arm. You got shot in the forearm? Why would you do that?” Taemin almost yells. He's still drunk. “They were so perfect…”

 

I pull my arm from him and look at him quizzically. There's definitely something seriously wrong with my friend. “You should go, your target is getting away.” Taemin says.

 

I shake my head and then leap from the roof to the stairs. My miscalculation at how far the distance between me and the stairs led me to have to grasp at the metal bars of the railing and pull myself up the hard way. When I finally get myself onto the stairs I can hear Taemin laughing on the other side. I groan and jump up to the roof. I look around for any sign of the man, there’s nothing. I tagged you my friend, you can’t hide now. I think looking at my tracking device. It says he’s only a few yards ahead of me. Then I realize he’s on the roof across from me. “Damnit.” I say to the thought of having to jump from roof to roof again. I up my dislikes and leap from this roof to the next, this time more successful than the last. I continue to run towards the edge in absolute silence. When I reach it I jump and do a somersault as I land. I see my target who was staring up at the sky turn to me. I can’t see his face as it’s too dark, but it doesn’t matter, I don’t like to know the faces of who I kill anyway. It’s easier to sleep at night when there are less faces haunting your dreams. He opens his mouth as if to speak but quickly closes it as I pull out my two swords and approach him. “Well .” he says.

 

I try to ignore the familiarity in his voice. “Did Onew hire you?” he asks.

 

Again the sound of his voice enters my head. Who are you? I questio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter