Melody

Infinite Worlds
Melody
 

Prompter: xoxONEW

Layout: Drabble

Genres: Fluff, Romance

Rating: PG

Kinks/Warnings: N/A

Length: 1.2k w.

Time: 55 minutes

Prompt: Photo (above)

A/N: Added a bit of story, and they are older than perceived in the photo. This was fun and cute (omg the diabetes >.<) I really enjoyed writing this.


 
 
 
They said, ‘in sickness and in health’ when reciting the traditional wedding vows during the ceremony of marriage, and although Jongin appreciated everything his husband did, he was pleasantly surprised by the lengths he’d go through to make him feel loved.
 
When they first met, he wasn’t aware that this stranger would sweep him off his feet into a whirlwind of love, care, and happiness.
 
It was nine years ago when Jongin showed up for an audition for a musical in one of the local theaters within his community. Theater was his passion. There was nothing more satisfying than standing on a stage and entertaining others in the pose of another. Despite the challenging nature of the occupation, Jongin found absolute joy in being an amateur thespian.
 
The moment he entered the auditorium, there was already someone on the stage who was in the middle of an audition, stumbling over his words and obviously nervous to the core. The first word that surfaced within Jongin’s mind was cute.
 
The man before him was trying his very best, and his hard work and dedication were evident through his struggling performance. There was a small sense of empathy brewing inside of his chest for the stranger because Jongin had been in that position not too long ago.
 
After the man, who he had never seen before, finished his audition, he jetted off the stage and sat in a chair backstage. There was no other opportunity more perfect for Jongin, and he took the initiative.
 
“You weren’t as bad as you thought.” He said, occupying the empty seat directly next to the man.
 
“Are you kidding? I was drowning out there.”
 
“Yes, maybe, but one must first step inside the water in order to do that,” The man looked at Jongin in bewilderment, and he thought to elaborate, “meaning, you must first try to swim before you can drown. Looks to me that you’re simply wading, barely afloat. All you need are floaties.” The man giggled, actually giggled. Jongin’s thoughts momentarily paused as the sweet, angelic sound drifted to his ears.
 
“Your metaphor is so cheesy,” The man’s plump lips pulled into a tender smile.
 
“Well if cheesiness can get you to smile like that, then, it’s worth it.” Jongin earnestly gazed at him. The man looked up through bashful eyelashes, his circular orbs held a flattered luster, and the flush of his cheeks was a deep shade of pink.
 
“I’d say you were flirting with me.”
 
“Good, that means it’s working. I’m Jongin by the way.” He offered a hand, and the man took his palm in his own.
 
“Kyungsoo.” Jongin felt his heart leap when he was graced with a name to go along with that gorgeous face.
 
In that moment, he had no way in knowing that their lives would surmount to what it was now. They both are renowned actors for musical theater who work together in most productions. Within five years of their relationship, Jongin had proposed, and they instantly got married without much thought. There was no need for hesitancy because they knew how perfect they were for each other. A small house was bought resulting from their matrimony, and they lived together in a gated neighborhood.
 
Jongin was beyond content, he was undoubtedly happy. However, at the moment, he was also very, very sick.
 
“Jongin!”
 
“Yes,” He coughed, attempting to sit in their king sized bed, but collapsed back onto the mattress.
 
“Where did you put my special socks? I need them tonight for the group dinner!” Kyungsoo, not hearing the hoarseness in his voice, yelled from the closet.
 
“I think I put them with my socks, try the,” Jongin coughed roughly, “try the drawer on the right side of the dresser. “
 
“Found it!” Kyungsoo came from the closet hopping on one leg and putting the sock on the other, “Why are you still in bed? We have less than forty minutes to get ready.”
 
“I’m not feeling too well,” It was then that Kyungsoo noticed the paleness of his skin and the thin layer of sweat on Jongin’s forehead.
 
“Oh Jongin, how did you get sick?”
 
“Bad immune system,” Jongin shrugged subtly, “you know how I get after practicing for hours.”
 
“I keep telling you to take it easy baby, you know we’re getting older, we can’t practice like we used to.”
 
“Soo, we’re only thirty,” Jongin chuckled.
 
“No, you’re only thirty, I’m thirty-one.” Kyungsoo’s index finger tapped the tip of his nose, “I’ll be right back. Forget the dinner, my baby needs me.” Kyungsoo scurried out the room before Jongin could mutter a word. Jongin shook his head amusingly at his determined husband.
 
Soon enough, Kyungsoo had returned with a wet towel and placed it over Jongin’s forehead. The dampness from the rag felt good against his perspiring skin, making the heat radiating from the blanket seem cooler.  
 
“Kyungsoo, I think-” Kyungsoo was out of the door as quickly as he came, and Jongin wasn’t able to finish his sentence.
 
Minutes later, his husband returned with a bouquet of flowers that had previously resided in a vase on their kitchen table. Jongin arched a questioning brow.
 
Is he heading to a funeral? Jongin thought. Kyungsoo puzzled him sometimes, and he didn’t have any idea what went on through his husband’s mind. It was safe to say, that this moment could be added to his fictitious list of confusion.
 
“A flower here, a flower there.” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath as though he were making an intricate arrangement and looking upon his work methodically.
 
“Soo, I think you should go-” Kyungsoo had quickly sauntered out the room, and once again, Jongin’s words met the barren wall. It was ridiculous how fast his husband moved when he was on a mission.
 
The next time Kyungsoo entered their bedroom, he had a bowl of soup and a glass of water on a tray.
 
“Listen to me! Go to the dinner, Soo.” Jongin finally blurted, “I’ll be fine, okay.”
 
“But- but,” Kyungsoo mildly lifted his shoulders with a coy expression as he held the tray in his palms.
 
“Soo, I’m sick, not dead.” Jongin picked up a flower and weakly threw it at Kyungsoo’s chest. The purple lily floated to the ground, and their melody of chuckles flowed across the room. Kyungsoo placed the tray on the nightstand next to the bed and took a seat on the edge of the mattress beside Jongin.
 
“I just wanted to brighten you up with flowers, and make a good mood.” His fingers lightly ran along Jongin’s bang brushing it to the side.
 
“Is that what you were trying to do? Because I thought, I had died and gone to heaven.”
 
“Oh, you thought you had gone to heaven, huh?” Kyungsoo pinched Jongin’s nose between his knuckles and playfully scrunched his own nose to match the gesture.
 
“Of course. Heaven is the only place where I could meet an angel like you.” Jongin took Kyungsoo’s palm in his own and gently kissed the back of his hand.
 
“So cheesy.” Kyungsoo said, and there was that sweet, angelic giggle again. Kyungsoo’s voice reminded him of nine years ago. Jongin was certain that he would die from an overdose of cuteness, and he thought maybe the flowers weren’t a bad idea after all.