Five.

Claws of Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up to the sound of a symphony. 

In the moments before I opened my eyes, I imagined (or was it dreamed?) sitting in some ridiculously luxurious concert hall with the sights and sounds of a full orchestra playing in front of me. I recognized it vaguely--it must have been Beethoven or Bach, maybe Mozart--as something common to movie scores and posh coffee shops, but for that moment I was in the glittering concert hall, listening to the instruments vibrate and quiver in tune.

“She’s in a coma, not a womb,” I heard a voice say, and I would have laughed it it felt like the emotion and will to do so weren’t so damned far away. The concert hall took on a reddish glow.

The music swelled, strings echoing a loud wind section, and then altogether stopped. 

“Hey!” another voice cried out, and I frowned to myself. I had been enjoying that.

“She’s awake,” the first voice came again, markedly deeper and gruffer than the other one, and I wondered what the hell that meant. Were they talking about me?

“Whoa. You can tell that?” the second voice came again. It was lighter and more feminine. It sounded as pleasant as it was shrill.

“Yep. Her breathing changed,” the deeper voice said. 

“That’s so cool,” the lighter one replied. “Wait. If she’s awake why isn’t she... awake?” 

The deeper voice chuckled, low and smooth. “You know that feeling when you’re in between being asleep and awake? Like when you’re super groggy, but you’re aware of yourself so you know you’re not sleeping?” the voice paused, and I assumed the second one nodded because the first continued. “It’s like that. She’ll come to soon enough. Don’t worry, Sangmi.”

Sangmi.

The name echoed around in my head for a few seconds. Sangmi. My best friend. She wasn’t answering her phone so I went back to the dorm and saw the construction--saw the tree fall--and then I-

Images flickered in my brain. Gray fur and deep eyes and claw marks and- 

“Wolf,” I gasped as my eyes flickered open. I knew where I was immediately. Blinding flourescents and and IV drip entered my vision and I frowned. 

“Yeonhee?” a voice called out from my side. I glanced over with a heavy head to see Sangmi and Chanyeol sitting still as statues. Sangmi fiddled with a CD player that I had no idea where she got, but she looked incredibly nervous. “What did you say?” she asked, and I furrowed my brows.

“What?” I shot back groggily. “I don’t know. What happened to me?” I asked, trying to sit up. The weight in my head was just too much and I plopped back down, clutching my skull.

“The nurse told us you got hit in the head and passed out. Some kid found you and carried you here,” Sangmi replied, looking a lot more relieved, but I didn’t mull that over for too long.

“Some kid? Did he have a name?” I questioned, greedy for answers I knew I probably wasn’t going to get.

“No. The nurse says he never gave

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter