Behind The Act (ft. Jonghyun and Kibum of SHINee)

The Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Please know that before you continue, child abuse is hinted in the chapter as well as a triggered trauma attack. Please take this as a warning if you are sensitive to these types of topics.

Behind The Act

"Kibum, is time to get up." A soft voice fills the dim room, as the early morning sunlight peeks its way through the small cracks of window shutters. A short, blonde and brunette male is currently sitting on the side of the bed his hand down the back of small lump underneath the black velvetly blanket. "Go away~~" A harsh groan escapes from the form below while the owner of the voice shifts away from the pestering gesture. "Kibummie, come on or else you'll be late for cl-"

Before the male is able to finish his sentence, the covers are thrown to the side as the hidden male sits up quickly. "I told you not to ing call me that, Jonghyun." The male known as Jonghyun, widen his eyes as the latter glares that him in annoyance. The boy's feline eyes appearing more sharp than normal. Jonghyun pulls away with his hands up. "Woah didn't mean to make you upset. I forgot Kibum." "Key" The glaring boy snaps, before pushing Jonghyun, who is a bit shorter than him, aside. "Fine, Key. I don't know why you have to get so worked up over a nickname. That's what friends do." Jonghyun whines a bit in rejection, as he watches the younger boy make his way to the door. He stands to leave as well when suddenly the taller boy turns around.

"We aren't friends." Key growls, vemon laced into each word, before he turns to leave, leaving behind his sadden caretaker.

________

"So your telling me that he said all that and you didn't reprimand him at all Jonghyun?" Jonghyun sighs as he shakes his head. "Jinki hyung, you have to understand that Kibum isn't like any of the other newcomers. I feel something off about him. He already doesn't seem to like me, I don't want to strain our relationship anymore than what it is." Now it's Jinki's turn to sigh, rubbing his temples in deep thought of the situation. He's one of Jonghyun's closes friends, having been his previous caretaker for two years, before accepting a position as one the student counselor as Jonghyun became a caretaker. He smiles at all the good times he's had while being the puppy dino's guardian. 

"I know you are trying to get through to him Jonghyun, but one day the time will come where you will have to discipline Kibum. I know by experience how hard it is to be in the position of authority when the time came around. Remember the first time where I had to spank you? Trust me, I didn't want to go through with it as much as you didn't want to." Jonghyun nods in understanding. "It did open my eyes to see that you were doing this for my benefit hyung, and it goes to say that if you weren't as firm with me in the past I would have never changed my downward ways." He admits while looking up to his hyung. Jinki smiles while patting his back.

"I'm very proud of how far you have came Jjong. Now I have something to share with you. I was looking into Kibum's file and I noticed something that caught my eye." Jonghyun perks up at the mention of the boy he is caring for. Jinki pulls out a file from the draw of his desk, before opening it to show Jonghyun. The file reads "Kim Kibum" in bold letters. "See right here, it says that Kibum has spent majority of his childhood being brought up by his grandmother in Daegu, however seven years ago she had passed away. And he was adopted by a wealthy American family in the United States. I'm guessing that is why he is a English major. But the interesting part of this is that Kibum has a juvenile record of running away." 

Jonghyun looks to his hyung in confusion, yes the information was shockingly new, but it doesn't explain why Kibum acts the way he does towards him. "So what does that mean hyung? I mean to do with me?" Jinki sighs while shaking his head." I honestly don't know, why he acts that way towards you. I wish I knew to help you more, but right here is another interesting part. Kibum was sent here, because of a incident that happened at his school in America. It says that he was caught with an outstanding truancy record, 63 to be exact. However it was never reported to the police." Jonghyun's eyes widen in shock, not expecting that of the younger boy.

"Kibum? No he doesn't seem like the type to do such a thing. He seems so dedicated towards his studies.I don't believe it." Jinki's face softens at the distress boy, he pulls him into a hug. "Shh don't worry Jonggie, I'm sure there is more to what happened. The reports seem so vague. But I just wanted you to know more about him, that way you can get a better perspective. From what you've told me these pass few months about him, aside from his attitude he seems pretty self dependent. His grades are all up, he's organized, not a trouble maker aside from the back talk to the teachers. He's not like the others and he doesn't seem like the type to play hooky ." 

Jonghyun nods in agreement, thinking of everything he's learned of the boy. "I know hyung, I just don't know why he doesn't like people. Maybe I just have to leave him be, I mean he seems like he shouldn't be here at all." Jinki shakes his head in deep thought. "No Jonghyun, we need to look at the bigger picture here. Something is bothering the boy, once you think about it. He is hiding behind a tough persona that pushes away others. For some reason he is afraid to let people in. It's more than disciplining and asserting authority as a caretaker. Your duty is to help Kibum progress and grow from where he is now. Understand?" Jonghyun nods, standing to take his leave.

"You're right hyung, I need to approach this differently. I need to get back to the dorm, so I can cook supper for us. Hopefully, Kibum will eat this time. Thanks for the advice hyung." Jinki smiles while hugging his dongsaeng. "Anytime Jjong, take care okay? And let me know how things go. Goodnight kiddo." Jonghyun nods before leaving his previous caretaker's room, heading back to see if Kibum has returned.
________

Kibum sighs as he enters his room, today was horrible to say the least. He had been assigned a project in English class, with an overly excited boy named Taemin. Don't get him wrong, Lee Taemin is adorable he has to admit and some parts of Kibum loves how much innocence the 16 year old still has. He very much reminded him of himself, but he quickly remembers how cruel the world is. That even the most pure and innocent will be tainted one day. The only down side to the whole partner thing is that Taemin loves to talk, alot. Enough to tire the 17 year old out by the time he drops the boy off to his dorm, before returning to his own. As he enters, he is hit by a sharp burning smell.

"What is that?" He quickly walks into the kitchen only to find a short puppysaurus throwing a buring pan into the sink. As soon as the older boy calms down, he notices Kibum staring at him with his arms crossed. "What the hell are you doing? Trying to burn down the place?" Kibum crinkles his nose in digust as he looks into the sink, at a poor attempt of what looks to be pancakes. Jjong looks in embarrassment, as Kibum returns his glare to him. "Umm I was trying to cook us up some strawberry pancakes. I know how much you like them."

Although Jonghyun says it quietly, Kibum hears it loud enough to soften up. " You were supposed to grease the pan first. Have you ever made these befor- wait how did you know that?" Kibum looks to the older boy in confusion, his head tilting slightly. "I remembered when we first met, when we went to the cafe and how cute your pout was when they unfortunately ran out of strawberries. Jonghyun smiles cutely, causing the boy to blush. "I thought maybe you'll like them tonight, you didn't eat this morning and you left your lunch ticket here today. You must be hungry huh?" Kibum shakes his head and waves his hand. "No I'm fine, I snacked in English today. You go ahead and eat, I'll be going to bed."

Just as Kibum walks away, Jonghyun grabs his wrist. "Don't lie to me Kibum, I know you haven't been eating right these past few days. Taemin texted me and told me that you looked pale earlier and that your stomach was growling. Please eat something." Jonghyun says gently, sensing how much the boy has tensed. Halfway expecting the boy to curse at him whilst stomping away, Jonghyun is surprised when the younger turns around and nods meekly. "Fine I will make the pancakes, afterwards I'm going to bed. Go sit over there." Key points to the stool in front of the mini kitchen island. Jonghyun smiles cheekily while plopping down to watch.

"Woah you really are good at making those." The older boy's eyes sparkle in amazement as he watches Kibum spread out the batter with ease. The younger boy just nods in response, silently giggling at the gawking male. "How did you learn, to make these? You like cooking?" Jonghyun tilts his head as Kibum flips the cake, perfectly. "Umm I guess you can say that I've had a lot of practice. It's whatever though, eat up." He places a plate of neatly stacked hotcakes, toppes with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Jonghyun takes a small bite before jumping up. "Oh my goodness Key! These are so good, why aren't you majoring in culinary?" 

Kibum takes a seat a seat across from the latter, his plate piled high with strawberries. "Never thought about it. How can you not be tired to always asking questions? Don't you ever get tired of asking?" Kibum lifts a perfectly arched eyebrow, while bringing up a strawberry to his bow shaped lips. Jonghyun is taken aback once again, however he just grins and shakes his head. "No I don't, I really want to get to know you Kib- I mean Key. We have been living together for three months already, it seems we are more strangers than roommates." Kibum sighs in annoyance. "Look I'm only here because I was forced to come here. I'm not anything like those other guys. I was wrongly sent here."

Jonghyun frowns at the way Kibum, narrows his eyes at him. "Well according to your file, ditching school that many time isn't exactly something that schools should torelate." He mumbles under his breath, however Kibum catches it. Angrily he stands up, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter