Flying, deep in the night

Look Up at the Stars

The first day of work at the hospital turned out to be nothing short of a pain in the . Since he was still a new doctor, per the hospital's requirements, he had to work for six months in the ER before he was allowed to transfer to another department. In the eight hours he spent on call, he’d stitched up skin from every bodypart one could name, delt with a old women who thought she was dying when really all she had a was a cold, and almost yelled at a mother who insisted on getting her son tested for HIV, something that was virtually impossible for him to have, when her son had been pretending to be sick the whole time. As much of a headache he had, there was one thing that never left him mind, the restricted room.

The way humans were, the more you told them not to do something, the more they wanted to do it. For some reason, whatever was behind it almost seemed to be calling to him open the door and for a moment, he had the urge to go over there and try every single combination he could think of until the door opened. Common sense and the previous doctor’s words were what held him back. And of course the fact that he would probably never past that door without anyone noticing.

Sungmin sighed as he collapsed into the large squashy chair in the hospital lounge. It was going to be another long day.

 

Flashback

Three years, two months, and five days ago

“Doctor, his heart stopped!”

The head nurse shouted as they pushed a gurney with an unconscious boy into the ER.

“Bring me the paddles! Quickly!” The doctor bellowed back, catching a glimpse of the boy’s face amidst his scramble to save the boy’s life. Perhaps it was his pearly skin, or his perfectly proportioned features, but for some reason, the doctor felt a need to revive the boy; it was far too early for someone so pure to leave the world.

 

He leaned down closer to the boy, so close that if the boy had been breathing, he would have been able to feel it. Carefully, he pushed aside the boy’s matted brunette bangs, revealing his pale and clammy forehead. Even though the boy’s eyes weren’t open, the doctor could feel himself slowly getting pulled closer and closer with imaginary strings so strong that it became impossible to resist. As he moved in impossibly closer to the boy’s slightly parted, lush lips, the door to the ER flew open as the nurse ran in with the defibrillator and he forcibly snapped himself back into reality.

 

“Set. Charge. 480 volts!” The doctor pressed the paddles into the boy’s chest, feeling the jolt on his hands at the same time it passed to the boy’s heart.  The boy’s back arched upwards from the force and his body momentarily left the bed before crashing back into it a second later. There was no response.

 

“Set. Charge. 700 volts!” The shock was slightly stronger than the first one and the boy’s body flew a little higher than before crashing back again, this time causing the bed to quiver under the impact. There was still no response.

Not ready to give up, he prepared for a third try.

 

“Set. Charge. 1000 volts!” Nothing.

But the doctor continued, trying a fourth time, a fifth time, a sixth time. By the seventh time, he wondered if his actions were helping at all. By the eighth try, he was ready call the time of death. By the ninth try, the monitor sprang to life. The beeps were music to his hears in comparison to the high screech of the flat line. He sighed in relief as he watched some of the color flood back into the boy’s cheek, listening to the steady beats of his heart for a few minutes. Resisting the urge to caress his cheeks, he turned to the head nurse.

 

“Have you found out who he is? We should probably contact his parents.”

“I have, sir. His name is Cho Kyuhyun.”

The doctor raised his eyebrows as he frowned at the familiar name.

“That Cho Kyuhyun?”

“Yes, sir. His father is Cho Seunghyun.”

 

Cho Seunghyun, president of YG corporation and longtime rival of SM entertainment in the medical industry. Those two companies are the owners of the two biggest hospitals in the Korea. Cho Kyuhyun, although chose to become a lawyer, is his only son and therefore is next in line to inherit YG.  Kyuhyun is known to the world as a genius, quite possibly one of the smartest people in South Korea, therefore him taking over YG would be SM’s worst nightmare.

 

After much thought, the doctor traced his finger over the “SM” embroidered at the corner of his doctor shawl as he made a decision.

 

“Head nurse Jung, from now on, you and I will be the only ones who know that Cho Kyuhyun is alive. Please tell his parents and the boy that brought him here that Cho Kyuhyun died of a heart attack.”

The nurse shifted in her spot, unsure whether or not to follow the doctor’s orders. The doctor, detecting her uneasiness, placed his hand on her shoulder and leaned his head to speak into her ear.

“Nurse Jung, you already got yourself into this, so don’t expect to be able to step out anymore.  Take care of that boy and keep your lips sealed. If you try anything, I won’t be able to guarantee the safety of your family.”

“Sir, I’ll do my best.”

 

The nurse bit her lips as she bowed to the director of the hospital standing before her.

 
 
 
I hope this update cleared things up a little although its super short. I'll try my best to make this a little less confusing. Happy Reading and feel free to comment!