Chapter 4

I'll Be Right Here

It was their first day in college and Taeyong was driving them towards their university; Ten was looking through the class schedules he received a week before and groaned in frustration. “I barely have breaks” he whined, “and your class ends an hour early before mine” he pouted while shoving his class schedule inside his bag. “Yeah, I saw your schedule…your last class ends at 7:30 in the evening same as Jaehyun, Yuta, WinWin and Hansol hyung’s but your schedule is heavier though you don’t have Saturday classes unlike me” Taeyong pouted, “well, I can always stay at the library and wait for you until your class finishes” Ten said while taking a bite of the sandwich that Taeyong had prepared for him in case he gets hungry in between classes. They had their car parked on the university’s huge parking lot and headed towards the entrance where they saw Kun and WinWin talking to each other in the own language, the couple waved at the Chinese couple before stopping in front of them. “Heard that we’re going to have dinner together later” Kun said, “yeah, after the others’ 7:30pm classes finish” Taeyong answered. “I have Business Law for my first class” Kun sighed dreadfully, “same here…I saw all of our subjects, but…” Taeyong sighed as well “Tae, my first class will start in a few minutes” Ten said while checking the time on his watch. “I’ll take you then” the older smiled, “I’ll take WinWin to his first class too then I’ll meet you in our classroom in 10 minutes” Kun waved at the two of them.

 

“I’ll see you later~ text me when you’re bored” Taeyong said as he stopped outside Ten’s classroom for his first class, he pecked his husband’s lips and the younger smiled and nodded before going inside. It was only a couple of hours throughout their first day and Ten had already gained new friends like that tall boy named Kim Mingyu who kept on sticking to him throughout the last two periods of their classes. Taeyong on the other hand was relaxed since he had the same classes as Doyoung, Johnny, Taeil and Kun. He and Ten kept on exchanging text messages, the younger kept on complaining how some of his professors were terrifying but Taeyong would always encourage him from time to time. “Who are you texting?” Mingyu asked while they were on their way towards their 3pm class, Ten just smiled at him before entering their classroom. Mingyu stopped on his tracks and placed his hand on his chest. His heart was beating abnormally fast as the scene of Ten smiling at him kept on replaying on his head.

 

“Remember to pass your plates on Wednesday before this class ends” their professor reminded them before dismissing them. Ten groaned loudly as he slumped his bag on his back, “who the heck gives their students work on the first day of school?” Ten whined while walking outside of his classroom, Mingyu ran after Ten when he saw that the latter had already left him. Ten was talking to someone on the phone and he couldn’t make the most of it, but he heard Ten saying ‘I love you’ before ending his call and he felt a pang of hurt on his chest. He shook those feelings off and grabbed Ten’s shoulder, “where are you going? I’ll take you there” Mingyu smiled. “Ten!” heard voices yelling, the latter turned around and saw his medical friends running towards him, Yuta raised his eyebrow at Mingyu who still had his hand on Ten’s shoulder “Hey Ten” Jaehyun smiled at the shorter guy, “I just found out that our classroom is literally just 2 classrooms apart” Jaehyun smiled. Mingyu cleared his throat, “Hi I’m Mingyu” Mingyu offered his hand, “riiight” Yuta answered before slightly taking Mingyu’s hand off Ten’s shoulder making Mingyu scratch the back of his neck. Jaehyun excused himself as he picked up his phone to call Doyoung, Yuta was trying his best to make Ten avoid Mingyu’s advances. Hansol and WinWin saw that and quickly fished their phones to text Taeyong, every time Mingyu would try to talk to Ten, Yuta would casually in. Mingyu crossed his arms, ‘the heck are these guys doing?’  he thought. “Ah Ten! Where’s your ring?” Yuta asked while pointing at Ten’s empty hand, “oh… I took it off because we had to do a few drawings earlier and it was kind of uncomfortable” Ten explained and fished out his ring from his pocket before sliding it onto his ring finger again. “Nice ring Ten!” Mingyu exclaimed, “oh! It’s a very special ri-“ “Taeyong gave it to him! Speaking of Taeyong, I can hear his voice right now” Yuta had cut the younger off. “Really? We should go, the others are probably hungry now” Ten smiled and turned to Mingyu. “See you tomorrow Kim!” Ten waved at him, “See you then, Lee!” the latter replied as Ten walked out of the building with his friends.” Who’s Taeyong?” Mingyu muttered.

 

They were eating Korean barbecue for dinner and they were all talking about their first day, Ten was sulking because no one can relate to what he’ll be sharing since none of them took Architecture. He kept on poking on his meat absentmindedly while listening to their friends’ chatter; Taeyong had fed him a wrap seeing that the younger didn’t have the appetite to eat. “How’s your day, Ten?” Taeil asked making the younger look up to him, “first day with homework load” Ten pouted, “I knew no one in class but there’s this guy who approached me and befriended me, his name is Kim Mingyu and he kept on sticking with me the entire day…it was quite uncomfortable though” Ten sighed before poking his meat again, “What homework do you have?” his husband asked him, Ten leaned his head towards Taeyong’s shoulder and sighed, “drawings…plating…it’ll be passed on Wednesday though but I have to get the materials immediately” he said while unfolding a piece of paper from his wallet giving it to Taeyong. “Let’s buy them tonight after we eat, okay?” the older pecked his lips and Ten smiled. “Use our card” the younger reminded him, “of course baby…” the older grinned. The two made a joint bank account because Ten can’t trust himself with money and he just spends it on useless things that’s why Taeyong is in-charge of holding their money. “I can already feel Ten’s sleepless nights with his major” Kun teased while eating a piece of meat. Taeyong hummed, “I’ll make sure he gets enough sleep so he won’t get sick” their friends cooed at them, “you’re disgustingly sweet. I hate this!” Yuta crossed his arms while Hansol wrapped his arms around the younger’s waist. They enjoyed their dinner together catching up with each other but soon they had to go home because of their classes.

 

With their class schedules being unfair to them, the group of friends rarely met each other for the past months except for their boyfriends and husband who they practically need to see or see every day. Mingyu kept on sticking with Ten and the shorter still felt uncomfortable, Mingyu was touchy towards Ten and he’d glare at Ten’s friends whenever they’d meet in the hallway or whenever Ten would spare a minute to talk to them. Taeyong didn’t have the chance to meet Mingyu but he was already annoyed whenever Hansol, Yuta, Jaehyun or WinWin would tell him how Mingyu acts around with his husband. Ten would lightly complain as well, but the latter was too nice to even ignore a friend who approached him when he was alone during the first day of school after Taeyong had dropped him off. As the subjects grew harder for them, Ten and Taeyong had spent sleepless nights either studying or doing plates. Taeyong’s mother would visit the two since they had told her that they sometimes forget to eat because of too much studying and school work and sometimes they’d just grab off something from the fridge and eat them. The finals before their 2-week break had its hand clasped around their necks, the couple who even stayed at the same house rarely talked to each other except when they would greet their ‘good mornings’ or ‘good nights’ their ‘I love you’ which they would never forget despite the lack of communication. How the two would cuddle when they go to sleep after studying and doing their home works and projects.

 

Taeyong was writing down his answers on his answer sheet after doing the calculations on the clean spare paper he had prepared, he was thinking really hard of what the answer could be. He’d close his eyes and he’d remember Ten, his husband who studied with him. Who gave him mock exams when they were both studying, how the younger would complement him whenever he got the right answers and how Ten lift his spirits up whenever he’d get them wrong. They would casually video call their friends to catch up even just for a short while before hitting the books again. “Alright, please submit your answer sheets together with your scratch papers” their professor said as the bald old man was indicating that their test was over, Taeyong abruptly stood up and handed his papers to the old man up front before heading out. Doyoung came after him, as they waited for the others to finish. “Finally! 2 weeks of no math, no scary professors…I can finally cuddle with Taeil hyung” Johnny said while hugging his older but shorter boyfriend. “I don’t have to wake Ten up early and feel sorry about it because he needs a lot of rest” Taeyong said as they went to the building where their boyfriends were still having their exams. “Speaking of Ten, he looks kind of thin lately. Stressed too~” Taeil commented. Taeyong sighed and nodded, “his classes are killing him but you know Ten, he kills all that stress with positivity. And he’s on full scholarship that’s why he has to keep his grades high up” he sighed. “Ten’s freaking rich…why did he even take the scholarship?” Doyoung asked, “Correction dummy. Ten AND Taeyong are freaking rich yet they want to keep on saving money by spending less. Like did you check their joint bank account? I went to withdraw money with Taeyong last time and that amount of money in there was no joke!” Kun said while flailing his arms. “Guys please, stop exaggerating. We just don’t want to spend money too much” Taeyong explained. “Tae let’s be realistic…for what are you guys saving for anyway? Ten doesn’t pay anything on his tuition, he just has to buy those expensive materials…your parents and Ten’s father pays for your tuition fee and bills because they say that it’s still their responsibility since the two of you are still studying”  Johnny said, “just…it’s hard to explain” Taeyong said as they stopped outside of Ten’s classroom Johnny and Taeil stayed with him as the others went to wait outside of their boyfriends’ classroom. Taeyong spotted Ten who still had a lot to answer from the looks of it, the younger scrunched up his nose. The older took out his phone and zoomed the camera towards his husband who was concentrating on his exam and took the picture, “damn aesthetic” Johnny commented while taking a peek at the picture “sad you can’t have babies though” he added “neither do you” the then stuck out his tongue to the taller. Taeyong noticed Ten stand up and passed his papers to their professor but when he thought that the younger had finished his exam, he thought wrong. Their female professor gave Ten a blank canvass and the later went out with his materials leaving his bag behind, “Ten!” Taeyong called out, the younger stopped in his tracks and smiled at his husband, “hey wait…I’m sorry I just have to do this last part of the exam then I’m off” Ten gave the older a peck on the lips before running out to the field with his canvass, a couple of charcoal pencils and eraser. Ten hasn’t come back yet and for almost an hour, Jaehyun and the others were already finished with their exams and they were currently waiting for Ten. The other architecture students already came back and passed their drawings but Ten was still nowhere to be found. Minutes had passed and they saw Ten running back to their classroom, his hair was disheveled and his body was sweaty like he had run a marathon or something. He went inside their classroom just as Mingyu was about to submit his work, Ten smiled at their professor before handing his work. He bowed at her before grabbing his bag and went outside to greet his friends but before that, Mingyu called him. “Ten!” the latter grabbed Ten’s shoulder and the shorter flinched a bit, Taeyong saw that and he clenched his fists tightly. “Wanna hangout sometime? I have a couple of weeks off and I won’t be able to see you” Mingyu pouted, Ten blinked and looked at Mingyu. “Can I have your number? We’ve been friends for some time now and I…I want to get to know you more” Mingyu blushed and Taeyong rolled his eyes, the taller held his phone out in front of Ten but the latter hesitated a bit. Taeyong grabbed Mingyu’s phone and typed some numbers before giving it back to Mingyu, “that’s Ten’s number now, happy?” he said with a slightly irritated voice. Mingyu smiled happily and thanked Taeyong before leaving; Ten was dumbfounded as he stared his husband in disbelief “why did you-“ “that was Taeyong’s number he saved” Johnny cut him off. Ten sighed and sat on the floor to rest, “does anybody have an alcohol or something?” Ten asked while trying to remove the dirt of the charcoal pencil off his hand, Taeyong sat down beside his husband and dampened his handkerchief to get rid of the dirt off the younger’s hand. Their professor walked out of the classroom with a few canvasses on her hand, Ten quickly stood up and offered his professor some help which the teacher gladly accepted. He went back to the classroom and grabbed the rest of the canvasses, as Ten walked with his teacher the old woman smiled as Ten’s friends followed them. “You have a really handsome husband, Mr. Lee” the woman commented, “h-how did you-“ “my husband was your high school math teacher, your husband talks a lot about you he said. We even went to your wedding, it was huge I must agree. One of the biggest yet simplest wedding with full of sincerity I’ve seen” his professor showed Ten a picture of her and his husband, “oh! Mr. Kang!” Ten exclaimed and his professor smiled at him. “My husband kept on talking to me about your drawings and he was excited when he saw your name on my class list” the woman recalled as they stopped in front of the faculty room. The professor turned around and thanked Ten’s friends and husband for accompanying them, “ah Ten, I almost forgot. I want to feature your drawing in the school’s exhibit, is that okay?” Ten smiled widely and nodded, “of course…yes please. It would be an honor” Ten jumped and clapped his hands excitedly. “Excuse me professor, but what did Ten draw?” Doyoung asked curiously. The teacher revealed Ten’s drawing to everybody and they all looked at it with awe, “she told me do draw something that inspires me… I ran to our old school and sat on the field while picturing us and the kids inside my head playing on the field happily during our last day” Ten told them. “It’s a very simple yet meaningful drawing” the teacher told them before heading inside the faculty room with all the papers and drawing filled canvasses.

 

Everybody had a well-rested first week of break, Taeyong and Ten took the liberty to sleep through the day during the first three days and the next days were filled with cleaning up their house and doing their groceries. Jeno, Jaemin and the other kids visited the couple whenever their classes would finish and the two would welcome them with snacks and would offer them help with homework. Doyoung and Jaehyun visited the two after getting some rest on their own. Hansol and told everybody that he and Yuta will be spending their break with Hansol’s parents in Busan. WinWin and Kun went back to China to rest with their families. Johnny and Taeil had their ‘spontaneous dates’ as Johnny would call it, planned up. Ten was sleeping when the light on Taeyong’s phone went off for the nth time, the younger groaned and grabbed his husband's phone before shoving it under their pillows as the younger snuggled up to his husband, “please just tell Mingyu that it’s you whom he’s texting with and that we’re married…” Ten whined half asleep, “I don’t want him to ruin our precious sleep because we won’t be getting a lot of it when the new semester starts” he grumbled. Ten was right, the start of the new semester was only around the corner and they only have this time to rest, Tayeong got his phone from under his blanket and texted Mingyu to meet up with him tomorrow. He would just tell Ten that he’ll go to the market to buy more food ingredients for their dinner then meet up with Mingyu for a few minutes.

 

It was past one in the afternoon and Ten was going back to their bedroom to take a nap, he sat on their bed and looked at Taeyong who dressed up in his favorite black skinny jeans and black hoodie. He turned to sit beside his husband who was lying on their bed while hugging their pillow, “I’ll go out for a while to buy some more ingredients for our food, okay?  Is there anything that you want me to buy for you?” the younger shook his head and smiled at his husband. “Just be careful” he said before pulling Taeyong down to kiss his forehead, “I’ll be going then” Taeyong said, he grabbed his car key, phone and wallet before heading down and out of their house. Mingyu was waiting for him at the café in the nearby market, the poor boy didn’t even know that it wasn’t Ten to whom he was texting but his crush’s husband instead. Taeyong entered the café and saw the Mingyu perk up and frown as he didn’t see Ten, Taeyong greeted Mingyu and sat down in front of him. “Ten won’t be coming to see you…I forbade him too” he lied a bit; he couldn’t forbid Ten to meeting anyone as long as that person doesn’t flirt with him. “Why would you forbid him? You’re just a friend to him” Mingyu sounded a bit angry, the latter clicked his tongue “because I am Ten Chitapphon Leechaiyakul-Lee’s husband” Taeyong answered in a cold manner. “M-married? Ten?” the taller stood up and slammed the table using his hands causing some of the customers to look at him, Taeyong seemed unfazed. “Lies! How can Ten be married? He’s too young!” Taeyong raised his eyebrows, “wow for having a crush with my husband for a while now, you’re quite stupid. How could Ten have a Korean last name when he’s Thai? Did you ever think of that?” Taeyong crossed his arms and shoved an envelope on Mingyu’s chest. Taeyong crossed his chest as the latter opened the envelope and saw their wedding pictures, his eyes widened, “wanna see more? Come to our house then” the older said, “I…I…” Mingyu couldn’t find the right words to say, “Please stop being touchy with Ten and stop glaring at my friends. You can be FRIENDS with my husband” Taeyong said emphasizing the word friends, “just stop being clingy with Ten, he’s uncomfortable” he said while he was putting the pictures back inside the envelope. Taeyong stood up and took his leave telling the latter that he had to buy something for Ten before going home.