Chapter 1

I'll Be Right Here

Waking up to the alarm that was set by him the night before wasn’t really new. He knew he had to get up; take a bath, then go to school or if he still has time, eat breakfast then go to school but his body wouldn’t cooperate. For some reason, his back and hips were killing him and his limbs where currently sore. “Ugh.” Ten groaned at the absolute pain he felt, “You’re already awake?” Taeyong smiled while making his way towards their shared bed to kiss Ten’s soft lips. “Why is my body sor- ugh I remember now” Ten slumped back down on the bed. “Hmmm since we both passed the university exams, we decided to celebrate” the older winked at his fiancé, his fingers tracing the marks he made on Ten’s neck and shoulders. “Very hot” he imitated Ten while chuckling as the latter’s face immediately turned beet red. “I need to go to school” Ten pouted while trying to sit up only to be pushed down by the older again, “what school? It’s Saturday. Silly Ten~” Ten face-palmed while checking his phone only to find out that it was right indeed. “Come on, baby~ lemme give you a bath” he picked up Ten and carried him towards the bathroom, placing him on the tub filled with warm water. Seeing the younger sigh in relief at the contact of the water made him happy that the younger appreciates even the littlest things he does. He stripped off his boxers and joined Ten to relax. “Just a week more before graduation and two weeks before our wedding~” the younger spoke softly as Taeyong was gently scrubbing Ten’s sore limbs. “Yeah, we’re almost there” he commented while looking at Ten’s warm smile.

They started their senior year fruitfully, having passed all the subjects and winning both of their team’s games. They had no problems except for the little squabbles they had due to the lack of sleep because of the university exams. Ten wanted to take Architecture so Taeyong’s mother helped him look for the best university in Seoul as Taeyong was planning to take over their and Ten’s family’s business that Ten’s dad had offered so he went for Business Management. They had spent cooped up inside Ten’s house which was currently theirs to own, studying intently with little-to-no breaks and so were their friends. They barely met on weekends except for when they were in school. Late in the evenings, Taeyong would hear Ten sob as the younger was complaining that he can’t do this anymore. The pressure was too overwhelming for the Thai boy. Ten came in 2nd place in the class ranking last year beating Yuta and Kun’s average with just a couple of points after Doyoung who placed 1st  which made Jaehyun so proud of his semi-nerd boyfriend. Taeyong would usually have Ten take a break from studying for at least twice a week being seeing the younger stressed and pressured like that really took a toll on the two of them. Taeyong took a big step and told his parents that he’ll start living with his fiancé but he’d still come home to sleep in his old house whenever he thinks that Ten needs some space alone. Although they may have taken the university exams already, none of them felt any assurance since they would receive the result before their graduation which would be posted on the school’s bulletin board and to those who’ll fail will the face utter shame and the harsh scoldings of their parents for disappointing them.

Mark, Jeno, Jaemin and Donghyuck rushed over to Ten’s classroom when they saw the exam results being posted. Jisung was still in middle-school so he won’t be able to be part of their plan thus making the youngest a little sour when Mark told him that they had planned on something to ease their hyungs when the results would be posted. Ten was reading a book whilst Yuta was busy bullying Doyoung with Kun. This year, they were scattered to different classes based on their final average last year thus making Doyoung, Ten, Kun and Yuta were in Class A while the rest where in B and Taeyong wasn’t amused at. Not at all. He tried to convince the teacher to switch him to Ten’s class but the teacher wouldn’t budge so he had no choice but to agree anyway. Ten yawned, he seemed unfazed but deep inside he was nervous because of how the results would come out. “Ten hyung!” he heard a familiar voice calling out for him from the front door of the classroom, he directed his gaze towards the door and saw Jeno’s head sticking while grinning at him. He mouthed a ‘what-are-you-doing-here’ to the younger, Mark and the others got inside from the back door and pushed their hyungs outside, “wait here” Jeno smiled before heading towards Taeyong and the others’ classroom. “What’s up?” Johnny asked while latching his arm around Ten’s shoulder only to be taken off by a possessive Taeyong. “We prepared something for the hyungs today, since it’ll be crowded for you guys to check on your exam scores. Jaemin did the honors of asking his dad about them” Donghyuck grinned while holding a fake microphone. “First, we need to get to the field because Jisung is waiting since he can’t come to the high school department’s building” Jaemin explained, the younger linked his arms with Hansol’s then started walking towards the direction of the field. “Ya, do you remember last Lunar New Year?” Johnny spoke up. “How could I now? We made Ten wear a hanbok for females with a matching red ribbon on his head…it was funny though, you gotta admit it” Yuta nudged Taeyong who had his mouth covered as he was preventing himself from laughing. Ten had his arms crossed, blushing from embarrassment while recalling that event, “it was because Donghyuck told his mom that Ten was a girl that’s why his mom had sent a hanbok for girls only for Ten” Taeil commented while showing them Ten’s picture in once again. Ten quickly took the older’s phone and ran towards the field as fast as he could so he can delete the said picture, as soon as his mission was done he then quickly returned the phone to the older and sat down on the bench. “Don’t worry Ten, I have a back-up copy in Yuta’s phone” Taeil stuck his tongue out and sat beside Johnny.

Jaemin held out some papers and highlighted a few names using his neon pink highlighter while the others went to get Jisung and some few other things. Donghyuck was playing with his fake red microphone, randomly humming some tunes. He looked at his hyungs who were busy with their own partners but something had caught his eye, he stood up and pointed at the people beside Taeyong and Ten. “Y-ya hyungs! Are you two dating?” shrieked making Jaemin stop from what he was doing so he could look at his hyungs. Johnny smirked and stood up, “guess we were caught red handed~” he said while holding his hands up in surrender. “What?! Since when?” Jaehyun stood up as well looking at a happy Johnny and an embarrassed Taeil. “Where you two even a thing?” Yuta snarkly commented, “I didn’t know that you and Hansol hyung were already together not until I heard you moan Hansol hyung’s name when I came to his house to borrow some notes. Psh…what? Where you two studying each other’s body parts?” Yuta gulped and buried his tomato-red face on Hansol’s shoulder. Hansol flicked Johnny’s forehead causing the tallest among them to whimper, “don’t you even know what privacy is?” Hansol rolled his eyes while cradling Yuta in his arms. “O~kay… I did not wanna hear that” Donghyuck was still covering his ears while his back was the one facing his hyungs. Taeyong slapped Johnny’s arm harshly, “Smooth move, Johnny. Now poor Donghyuck and Jaemin are scarred for life.” “Going back, since when where you guys together? How come I didn’t know about this?” Ten pouted cutely while crossing his arms. “Because Tennie pumpkin… It’s been two weeks since we’ve been together… we kept it a secret and we were going to keep it until graduation..aaaaaand~ we just want to take things slow” he answered proudly while slinging an arm over Taeil’s shoulder. “Very very slow…” Doyoung mumbled while taking off his uniform jacket. Jaemin stood up as soon as the other’s arrived with a few confettis on their hands and a cake. “I’ll announce them quickly” Jaemin said while snatching the microphone from Donghyuck’s grip, “for those who took the Business Management exam…I won’t mention your scores though” Jaemin said while shoving onto Donghyuck’s chest the other papers that he’d need after the first announcement. “Jaemin is very evil… I wonder how Jeno puts up with you” Donghyuck complained, “love is blind bro~” Mark commented while trying to block his face as Jaemin lifted his hand up gesturing that he’d hit Mark. Jaemin heaved out a sigh and looked at the paper, “they only took a hundred students among the 500 who took the exam for Seoul National University. Seo Youngho a.k.a Johnny” Jaemn snickered “hyung ranked 18th out of 100” they all clapped their hands, “Moon Taeil hyung ranked 15th, Lee Taeyong hyung ranked 10th , Qian Kun hyung ranked 2nd and Kim Dongyoung a.k.a Doyoung hyung is ranked 1st” he announced with a huge smile plastered on his face. Jaehyun stood up and hugged Doyoung then pressed his lips onto the older’s several times. “That’s my nerd!” Jaehyun fist pumped in the air proudly. “Next~” he gave Donghyuck the used paper and grabbed the rest of the papers. “for those who took the exam for the medical related courses….” Jaemin squinted his eyes, “ya! You all took the exams for Seoul National University?” the younger raised an eyebrow and their hyungs just grinned at him sheepishly. “Nakamoto Yuta hyung is ranked 3rd, Jung Yoon Oh a.k.a Jaehyun hyung is 8th and Ji Hansol hyung is ranked 9th aaaaand~ Dong Sicheng…who the he- Oh!  It’s WinWin hyung…my bad” Jaemin snickered. “hyung is ranked the 13th out of 100” Jaemin picked up the last paper. “I can’t read Ten hyung’s name like this…it’s too much~” Jaemin groaned then gave the paper to Donghyuck, the younger cleared his throat, “Ten Chittaphon Leechaiyakul…wow that is a mouth full~” Donghyuck chuckled, “anyway Ten hyung…” the younger seemed to frown, “I knew it…I wouldn’t pass” Ten buried his face on the palms of his hands, he wanted to cry right now. “Stop trolling Donghyuck! Ten hyung’s gonna cry” Mark took the paper from Donghyuck’s grip. “Ten hyung don’t cry…” Mark tried to comfort the older, “just announce the result dude” Johnny told him while rubbing Ten’s back soothingly much to Taeyong’s discomfort. “Ten hyung is actually ranked 2nd” Mark said making the other’s look at him, “seriously?” Yuta asked, Mark gave him the paper to confirm it. “Okay wow, Chittaphon is an official nerd right now” Yuta gave the paper to Taeyong, “Ten hyung surpassed Doyoung hyung’s score” Jaemin stated in a matter of fact while handing the papers to their hyungs. “Our hyungs are nerds” Donghyuck clicked his tongue, “you’re a nerd too, hyung” Jisung commented. “Soooooo~ what now?” Jeno asked while sitting on the grass, “hyungs blow the candles first” Mark said while lighting up the candles. Their hyungs got up and surrounded the younger boys as they were holding the cake, “congratulations hyungs~” the younger boys greeted them cheerfully as they blew the flames off the candles. They were currently seated on the ground, they were still on the field talking, “soooo~ medical hyungs…what do you wanna specialize in?” their youngest Jisung asked. “Hmmm…I will be a pediatrician” Jaehyun answered confidently while looking at Doyoung who was smiling at him. “Me and Hansol hyung had talked about this and I want to specialize in Internal Medicine…but Hansol hyung…” “I’ll be a surgeon” Hansol smiled while holding Yuta’s hand, “I wasn’t sure in what to take first…what to specialize. It was hard to think about it but now, I want to be a surgeon” he answered calmly. “I still don’t know…but I think I’ll be a cardiologist or an anesthesiologist” WinWin answered. “Ya! We can do this! We’ll survive college” Doyoung pumped his fist in the air as to give the others courage. “We will be successful!” Yuta cheered on. “For a brighter future!” Taeyong lifted up his fork while grinning widely.

Later that evening, Taeyong had made a very special dinner just for his and for Ten to enjoy. After months of ruthless studying, everything had finally paid-off and now they just have to wait for their graduation day. After having random conversations for dinner, Ten volunteered to wash the dishes as Taeyong went upstairs to clean their bedroom. When Ten was finished, he sat down on the couch and stretched his arms while stifling a yawn, he the TV to watch whatever was good on it. He then stood up and went back to the kitchen to grab a glass of water but then suddenly he felt a pair of strong arms being wrapped around his waist from behind. Ten smiled when he felt Taeyong’s lips brush on the back of his neck, “what are you doing?” the younger asked but all he received was more kisses being planted on his neck. He placed the glass inside the kitchen sink then turned to look at Taeyong who immediately ravished Ten’s soft lips. The younger was taken aback with his fiancée’s actions but he responded it all too willingly. Their kiss turned rough as Taeyong’s hand started had slid inside Ten’s shirt, the younger moaned at the sudden contact but he didn’t push him away.  They both went on until there were clothes scattered all over their stairs, he had pushed the younger on the bed before diving in to take Ten entirely. When they both reached their es, Ten was the first one to drift off to dream land with Taeyong following soon after cleaning up himself and the younger.

 

Ten’s father had arrived to Korea a couple of days before his son’s graduation, his friends’ parents decided to have dinner altogether to get to know each other as how their children were friends with each other. Yuta’s parents came from Japan as well as Kun and WinWin’s parents were there who came from China. “Congratulations on your sons’ wedding” Yuta’s mom congratulated Ten’s father and Taeyong’s mother. Taeyong’s father wasn’t present because he had a flight to take since the pilot in-charge was ill, “we’d be happy if all of you could come. Since the boys have been together for a long time and we also know each other for a while now…we should bond after their wedding” Taeyong’s mother said and Ten father couldn’t agree more. The parents were handed wedding invitations and continued their talk.

 

Graduation day had come and Ten’s father was nervous as Ten was the opposite. “Why did you bring your secretary with you anyway, dad? Mr. Pattanasuwon has many things to do in Bangkok, I mean look at the poor man…he’s still not used to being overseas” Ten asked while putting on his uniform jacket, “it’s a great opportunity, Ten. So he can experience the feeling of being in a foreign country” his father smiled at the latter. “Okay, I’m ready to go” he smiled, “wait Ten! Let’s take a picture first” his father stood beside him and posed for the camera that was being held by his father’s secretary, “selca now…” Ten looked at his father. “You don’t even take selcas” he commented but his father just smiled at him as they both posed cutely. “I’m happy that you didn’t question Taeyong hyung’s intentions when he proposed to me” Ten broke the comfortable silence as they were being driven towards Ten’s school. His father hummed and turned to look at him, “because I have seen the way he looks at you way before he became you boyfriend…it’s the exact same look that I used to give to your mother when I was still courting her. And he’s a good man who is raised well by wonderful parents.” “And I was raised by the most wonderful parents as well. Who supported me in everything I did. Who trusted me with so much” Ten said. “Your mother would be so proud of you, my son” his father replied.

Ten gave his father his personal copy of the program booklet when they arrived at school, Taeyong’s parents had just arrived as well by that time and welcomed them. “Ten, there’s so much Korean here…I don’t understand that much” his father looked at his son worriedly, “don’t worry, we’ll tell you if ever you don’t know” Taeyong’s father smiled at him and led Ten’s dad inside the auditorium. The students sat inside the auditorium by class, their parents were seated way back but nonetheless they were comfortable. “Did you tell your dad about your award?” Doyoung asked Ten who was busily taking selcas with Kun and Yuta, “nope…planned to surprise him” the latter smiled. “I heard that they will announce the students who were in the top 5 of every university exam they took. They will announce the rank and your major and the school you chose” Yuta stated, “they never told us that!” Kun exclaimed, “I heard it from the teachers earlier” Yuta answered.

The students went up on stage one by one as their names were called to get their diploma together with their parents; it was pretty overwhelming for some who had struggled to get through high school but it was all worth it. The announcement for the students who ranked the highest in their university exams were being called right now. Ten looked behind nervously; he hands were a bit cold. He bit his lip out of anxiousness but everything went away when he saw Taeyong giving him an encouraging smile, he smiled back then looked forward to listen to their principal talking. “To the students whose names are being called, please stand up so you’d be recognized” the principal adjusted his glasses and started with majors like Engineering, Information Technology, Mass Communication and Law. The all clapped their hands as the students stood up and bowed while their parents were wearing huge smiles on their faces. “Now for the students who took the exam for Business Management in Seoul National University…only 2 students out of the 27 students from this school who had taken the exam actually got into the top 5” he said while reading the names, “Qian Kun who is ranked 2nd, please stand up” Kun shyly stood up and turned around to see his parents smiling widely at him while clapping their hands after seeing Johnny’s parents explaining to his parents patiently in English. “The next one is none other than Kim Dongyoung who ranked 1st” the principal smiled and Doyoung stood up, he turned around to bow to his parents gratefully who supported him while hearing Jaehyun’s ‘that’s my nerd! That’s why I love him!’ he blushed at his boyfriend’s loudness and then went back to take his seat. The principal cleared his throat and all the students’ chatters had died down, “we only have two students left who had made this school proud, these students will receive a full scholarship if ever they’d want to proceed in the school where they took their exams” Yuta and Ten looked at each other, bewilderment in their eyes. Their hearts begun thumping loudly as they wait for their principal to start talking, “Nakamoto Yuta ranked 3rd is given the scholarship if he’d ever proceed to take the medicine related course in which he passed an above average score in Seoul National University” Yuta stood up and bowed at the principal before turning around to his parents, “okan! Oton! Maido ookini!” he thanked his parents in their Kansai dialect and bowed down to them respectfully, he looked up and bowed at Hansol’s parents as well as to Hansol, thanking them for supporting him in everything. Hansol clapped the loudest, while smiling proudly at his boyfriend. “And last but not the least, the student with the most incredible score among the students who took the exam in Architecture both for the written and drawing exams” the principal paused for a while trying to give some suspence, Taeyong’s father explained to Ten’s father word for word and the man nodded while listening to him. “Please stand up, the student who ranked 1st…not 2nd, there was a glitch with the result as you can see. He is given 2 scholarships to choose between Stanford or here in Seoul National University, please stand up so you can be acknowledged Mr. Chittapon Leechaiyankul” when his name was called, Ten froze on the spot. There was a glitch with the result, he was happy when he was ranked 2nd but this was very overwhelming. Yuta pulled Ten to stand up, “congratulations Ten” the older smiled at him breaking Ten from his trance. He turned around and saw his father in tears while clapping for him as well as Taeyong’s parents, he smiled widely at them. He placed his hands together as in prayer; the tips of his fingers had hit the tip of his nose as his head is lowered in a slight bow. Taeyong stood up and clapped proudly for his cute fiancé and everyone soon followed.

As the ceremony was about to end, Doyoung was standing on the podium giving is his speech as their valedictorian. Inspiring words were given and experiences were shared as to which the students had related. Tears were being shed as the feeling of Doyoung’s speech touched their hearts. When his speech had ended, he bowed down to the principal then went back to his seat giving high-fives to Yuta, Ten and  Kun. “Students please rise…” the students all stood up and sang their school’s hymn for the last time. “Congratulations students of batch 2016! You have graduated!” cheers of students roared around the auditorium, they exited the overly crowded auditorium with huge smiles plastered on their faces. “Ten!” Taeyong quickly ran to his fiancé amidst the crowd of people, he picked him up and spun him around then hugged the Thai boy. “I’m so proud of you” he said while cupping Ten’s cheeks before kissing him, the younger wrapped his arms around Taeyong’s neck and kissed him back as his eyes were fluttering close. As they were so into the kiss, they heard someone clear his throat and they turned to look at Yuta “public much?” the latter said while raising an eyebrow, the two just looked at each other then kissed again. “Let them have their moment~” Hansol said while wrapping his arms around Yuta’s waist as the older leaned in to kiss his short boyfriend. Taeil was watching their friends when he felt a hand on his shoulder, “we can do it too” Johnny told him then without second thoughts, Taeil initiated the kiss. Doyoung and Jaehyun just smiled at each other and shared a kiss as well while Kun just gave WinWin a gentle peck on the cheek making the younger smile. The two of them took out their phones and took pictures of their friends having a group make-out session in the almost empty auditorium.

They went out to the parking lot where they met their parents who were all waiting for them; Ten ran towards his father and gave him a tight bear hug. “I’m the proudest father ever, Ten. You gave me more than I expected” his father said as he kissed his son’s forehead, “thank you for believing in me.” “Your mother and Tern would be very proud of you as they have always been” the man said while cupping his teary son’s face. He wiped his tears gently using his thumb; Taeyong’s parents came and congratulated Ten. He gave them each a hug, thanking them for being his second parents.

Soon they all went to have their dinner celebration; their parents had agreed to celebrate together after the picture taking was done. The parents were happily conversing with each other and they seemed closer than before, the boys had invited the Mark, Jisung, Jeno, Jaemin and Donghyuck to their celebration so the whole group would be complete on their special day. All of them were having a great time, exchanging some embarrassing stories they had back in school. Everything had happened so fast for them but each memory they made were worth keeping.

 

A couple of days after graduation, Taeyong’s parents were to fly to Thailand to spend some time alone with Ten and to meet Ten’s family so that they’d get acquainted during the wedding. Ten’s father will stay with Taeyong and bond with him for the next three days before they exchange again. “No texting, no calling and don’t even think about opening your social media accounts. We’d know” Yuta said while crossing his arms, “just try it...nobody has ever died from missing too much” he continued. “And Ten, about your party. Johnny hyung and Taeil hyung are going there to supervise in case something happens” Doyoung told him while handing the latter’s luggage. Ten looked at Taeyong as they arrived in the airport, never did once Taeyong thought of letting go of Ten’s hand. He won’t be seeing the younger until their wedding and he thinks that it’ll drive him crazy. With a few words of encouragement from their friends, Ten was already going to board the plane. But before following his fiancé’s parents, he turned to Taeyong and shared a passionate kiss with the older before leaving.