Stage 2: Numb

Stages Of A Broken Heart

It has been a week or so, since that night. You still feel the painful wounds of your heart, barely even healing. You still cry at night when you are alone. You don’t know what the heck is happening to the world outside because you keep yourself locked inside your room. You distance yourself from your friends, trying to keep communication to a minimum. You just wanted to be with yourself, to recuperate from all the things that had happened.

Seconds turn into minutes, minutes into hours, hours into days, days into weeks, and weeks into months.

You find yourself curled up into a ball in the corner of your bed. Your pillow wet from tears. After what it seems like forever, you go out of your wretched room. You find out that a month has already passed. You feel light-headed, probably due to lack of proper nutrition. You grab a bag of chips on the cupboard and eat.

You hear your phone ringing. It’s a message from one of your friends. She asks you to open the door, and so you do. She checks on your condition. She says you’ve grown thin, you laugh at her statement. You ask her if she could go with you to the park. She asks you why, you just smile at her. Honestly, you don’t know why. You just wanted to go out, and that was the first place that came into your mind. She agrees to go with you, so you get up, take a shower and get dressed. You lock your door behind you and take a taxi to the park.

The park hasn’t really changed. The flowers, the grass, the smell of the air, all were still the same. You breathe in, filling your lungs with fresh air. You smile as you savor the moment of your mini-freedom. You and your friend walk towards the ice cream shack. You buy your favorite vanilla scoop with cherries on top, again you smile. You feel like nothing has happened, nothing has changed.

You find your way walking towards that bench you sat on that day, that very bench where everything started. You find it, still in the same place. But something was different. There were two people sitting there. One was a boy, and the other, a girl. The girl’s head was rested on the boy’s shoulder. It looked like the perfect romantic scene from a movie. You smile.

Then it hits you.

You realize that, that boy was him. He was with another girl. You mouth gaped open and your breathing became shallow. Then, he pulls her face just inches from his. You hold your breath. He smiled at her, then… then… he kissed her lips.

Your heart stopped beating.

Your friend immediately pulled you out of the scene. She pulled you far away from that sight, yet the image was forever imprinted on your mind. You sit down and you wait for that sound, that distinct sound of your heart breaking. You have heard it so many times before. Now, you wait for it, one minute, two minutes, three, ten, and then twenty… nothing, nothing at all.

You can’t feel anything, not even your friend pulling hard at your wrists. You can see them turning red, but you can’t feel the pain that it should give you.

Your friend takes you to a taxi. You find yourself feeling light-headed again. You remind yourself to breathe; breathing did help in lessening your light-headedness. But your heart, your heart still didn’t move.

Your heart grew numb, and there’s nothing you could do….

 

-------

 

A/N: Hello there, thank you for reading & subscribing to this one. It will end soon though, but don't worry. A sequel will be up soon, I promise. The sequel will be written my a dear friend of mine, so watch out for it! :Db