Stage 1: Pain

Stages Of A Broken Heart

 

It was a very normal day for you. The sun was up; birds were singing in the distance, everything was just in place. You see a couple of cumuli nimbus clouds hovering close, but still… everything was in place. Well maybe except for him.

You came to this park a little over 2 o’clock in the afternoon, now it’s 5 and there’s still no sign of him. You keep texting & calling him, but to your dismay, not even one answer. Yet here you are still, waiting for him to come. Not even one sign of impatience, you just sit here on your favorite park bench and wait.

Twenty minutes passes, still no sign of him. Twenty five minutes. Thirty minutes. Forty minutes. One hour. Where the heck is he? You sigh and stand up to stretch your strained legs. Out of the corner of your eye, you see him. You see him leaning on the street light. You smile as he comes towards you. As soon as he did, you hug him. But strangely, he doesn’t react.

“What happened to you? I was here all day.” you ask him. But he just gives you a cold stare.

“Let’s go have dinner, okay?” you say to him again. You tug on him, yet he refused to move.

“Is everything all right? Why are you not talking?” you asked. He gives you that stare again.

“Leave…” he muttered.

“What?” you asked in disbelief.

“Leave, I don’t want to see you. Leave.”

“What the heck is going on?!” you asked angrily. He glared at you and you shiver at that sight.

“I don’t love you… now go and leave…” he said firmly. You felt the whole world crash down on you.

“W-wha-what?” you stutter while tears were forming slowly at the corner of your eyes. This could not be happening. No, not now, not ever…

“You heard me, I don’t love you…” his words were more emphasized now. You refuse to believe him. This is just a dream, no. This is just a nightmare, and you need to wake up.

“I-I don’t believe you…” you managed to say. He laughed at you mockingly. You hear your heart crack at that moment.

“Believe this, I never loved you. Not even one bit.” He said.

 

 PANG.

 

It hits you like a speeding truck. This was not a dream, not even a nightmare. This was reality.

You slap him hard on his face, so hard that he even fell to the ground because of the impact. This was… this was… you can’t even find the words to describe what you are feeling right now. You run, run as far away as you can from him. Tears were now falling freely from your face. You can’t believe this, you just can’t.

I never loved you, not even one bit... You hear his words ringing in your ear. You try to muffle them with your constant screams & moans, yet it does little to help you. You are helpless, you are weak.

You cry, cry your heart out while you run back to your house. Your legs were hurting from muscle strain. But this was nothing compared to the pain that was emanating from your heart. It was like little shards of glass were piercing right through your insides. Piercing every artery and blood vessel, leaving you to bleed to what you call death.

You find your little box full of memories of him. All those letters, gifts, and little trinkets were mocking you. They reminded you of him, they reminded you of what used to be, they reminded you that us wasn’t us anymore. They were now separated into you and him.

You grab a picture from the box. You see the both of you happily smiling together. You wanted to tear every picture you have of him, but you can’t. You just can’t. It’s too hard for you. You never wanted his serene face to be destroyed. You give up. You scream and you cry harder.

He broke your heart into a million pieces that night. Yet strangely enough, you still love him with all those little pieces left. Curse your damn broken heart.