20 Years Later

Coincidence or Fate?

"Rae, wake up!" I jolted awake as my best friend, Jenna slapped my arm. 

"Ah! What?" I yelled still half asleep. 

"It's 8:45." After hearing that I jumped out of bed and ran get ready to leave.  

"Why didn't you wake me earlier?!"

"I tried, but you wouldn't get up."

"You know I can't be late today."

"I know, why do you think I kept waking you up even when you wouldn't get up the first 15 times? Let's go!" She said.  I finished getting ready and ran out the door.  I prayed that traffic wouldn't be too terrible because the Good Lord knows that Los Angeles traffic is the absolute worst....looks like I learned my lesson, wake up on time.  After sitting in traffic for what seemed like 5 years, we finally made it to work.  Crap. Everyone was here already.  We crept our way in and as I was almost to my desk--

"Oh look who finally made it." Crap. 

"Good morning, Jim."

"How is someone as talented as you in translating 4 different languages always so late for everything?"  I just flashed my brightest smile at him and he just laughed. Jim was really a nice guy, too nice sometimes.  It wasn't hard to figure out why his wife always had the latest fashion. "I had something very important to tell you and you come in late."

"Sorry, I knew you were going to tell me if I got the job or not today so I had a bit of trouble sleeping." The truth usually works with Jim so that's always a bonus. 

"Well if you're going to be late to work here, how am I going to trust you to be on time being a translator for the client in South Korea?" Jim said with a slight smile.  It took me a few moments, but finally-

"Wait, does that mean?" Jim nodded his head. "I got the job?! I'm going back to Korea?!" 

Jenna jumped up, "I can't act like I didn't hear that! You got the job!!" We both celebrated as if we had won the lottery.  Finally all the studying and translating for so many clients day and night, I finally get to go back. 

Jim handed me a envelope and inside were the tickets I needed, "Oh yeah, and also you're going to have to keep that tattoo covered up.  We all like it here, but we aren't exactly sure how they would feel about it over there so just keep it professional.  The client is a very high profile client and can't afford any trouble.  The agency asked that we look as clean and professional as possible when working. " I looked down at the tattoo I had gotten on my wrist of a dove, THAT dove. 

"Of course." 

The days couldn't go by fast enough.  Packing was such a drag, but I had to get it done some time. I had waited 20 years to go back and the time was finally right.  Again, I looked at my dove and of course, I couldn't help but think of Yoon Dong Gu and the memories I shared with him, but it had been so many years, that he became onlya fond memory to me.  He was, after all, my first love. When I was 16, I realized he wasn't coming for me and I would never see him again and even if I did, I wouldn't recognize him.  I didn't want to find him. I just wanted for so long to go back to the country my parents loved so much.  

The plane ride seemed to be so much longer than 12 hours. It seemed as though we'd never land, maybe I was just nervous. Walking out of the airport was like a dream, I couldn't believe I had finally made it back.  Of course, my phone rang as soon as I took it off of airplane mode.

"Hello?" 

"Rae Salas ssi?" He asked in Korean.

"Yes this is her." I answered back.

"Rae Salas ssi? I understand that you have just landed in Korea, however, we need you to come in right away.  The client is coming into the office for the first time in a long time for a meeting and this would be a great opportunity to introduce you to everyone at once."

"Ah Alright, of course. I'll be there right away."

"Please hurry.  We will reimburse you for the taxi when you arrive.  Thank you." He hung up.  Without even having the chance to change or wash up, I had to rush to meet the client.  What kind of person makes everyone around them drop everything their doing and run to their assistance? Whatever, as much as I wanted to complain I wouldn't, it took me so long and I've gone through too much to not be excited to go into work whenever I'm needed. 

I finally reached the building and bolted towards the elevator, but there were so many people trying to get in.  I slipped through and squeezed a spot in the elevator. I had to figure out a way to get out quickly before everyone else.  1st Floor. 4th Floor. 9th Floor. Finally the 15th floor, I squeezed through everyone again and found myself being pulled backwards until I rammed into someone. I finally came to my senses and looked up....

"Aren't you being a little rude?" He asked in a voice that was hard but soft at the same time.

N..n..no...no way.

"Excuse me."

Impossible.

"Can you not hear me?"

I can't pull myself to speak.

"Hey."

It's him.

"Can you not speak Korean?"

 

 

 

Yoon Dong Gu.