When I Met Him

Coincidence or Fate?

Days seemed to drag and I could never quite understand what anyone was saying to me or asking of me.  Men and women in suits, ties, dresses, and uniforms came to me with questions. I wanted to answer, but nothing came out.  It felt as though every answer, question, word, and thought was stuck inside my head and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make words come out. The day after staying the night in the police station, I was sent to an orphanage where I was told that my family was trying to be reached, but because I wouldn't tell them my name or address, they were having a harder time. I knew they were trying to get me to speak up and I wanted to, but I couldn't.  Because I couldn't speak my actions were harmful to other kids.  I was always in trouble for beating the other kids up and none of the other orphanages would take me in so I stayed. 

Walking around, there were other kids playing, talking, and laughing.  I wasn't sure why, but I felt angry and sad to see them, however, my mother's last words to me kept replaying in my mind. I found a swing and sat there for a little while until I felt a push on my back and the swing began to move. I was startled and grabbed on as fast as I could and looked back at the source of where the push came from.  

"Do you not like to be pushed?  Oh wait, you don't look Korean.  Should I speak English...no I don't know English? Can you understand me?" More questions. I had too many questions asked of me already, I got up and walked away. "Hey, Kid! Wait! Don't leave." I could feel him coming closer to me so I sped up. Then he sped up. I took off in a full out sprint, but didn't notice the stick poking out of the ground.  I tripped and hit the ground. 

"Are you ok?" He grabbed my arm and began to lift me up, however, my reactions took over and I went to punch him.  Surprisingly, he dodged it and grabbed my hand twisting it behind my back. I tried my hardest to wiggle free, he was just too strong. "I'm 13, you know, I'm a whole lot stronger than you." He finally let me go and I ran away as fast as I could. 

Every day the same boy would follow me, without talking or interacting with me and when I would turn to look at him, he was always looking another direction. It happened every day from 12 to 2 and then I wouldn't see him for the rest of the day.  I didn't know where he would go, but strangely I would begin to look for him. Finally, one day I had enough, I wanted to know what this boy wanted and why he continued to follow me around. I stopped, turned and walked straight up to him. He didn't seems startled at all, he looked down at me and just smiled.

"So are you finally going to talk to me? Oh wait, I was told you don't speak, but at least you're paying attention to me now." What was he going on about? "I'm Yoon Dong Gu. But because I'm older than you, you can call me Oppa." I didn't want to call him anything, I barely knew who he was. "I know, I know, you don't know me so you don't want to call me Oppa, but if you don't say you don't want to call me that on the count of 3, you're going to call me that for the rest of your life." All I could do was stare at him. Could he read my mind? How did he say exactly what I was thinking? "Ready? 1. 2. 3! Alright, I'm Dong Gu Oppa now. I know your name is Rae.  My mom told me earlier." Mom? "Yeah, my mom. I come here with my mom and grandma to help out.  My mom and grandma are volunteers. I just come because I have nothing else to do at home." Surprisingly, my natural feeling of wanting to hit him like I had done the other kids wasn't there anymore. "Hm. So you're still not talking, huh. Well when I come everyday this summer, I'm not leaving your side till you say something to me." He smiled brightly, no one had smiled that brightly at me since my dad. I didn't know this boy at all, but I knew at that moment I never wanted him to leave me alone again.