Chapter 2

Theft in the Dark

Tao listened with intense focus to the the casual chatter of the party happening on the balcony below. He stayed hidden behind a chimney as he perched on a section of the roof quietly. Tonight was the night he planned on scoring enough riches to finally give himself a content life while the wealthy had their superfluous ball. What was there left even to celebrate in such an abysmal world of ruin? Was it a birthday? Why would anyone celebrate being born into hell? He briefly pondered their reasons for such an extravagent event with much loathing for them, but soon brought his thoughts back to his mission. His breath slowed in attempt to mask his presence with silence. He remained calm, focused, and disciplined as he waited for the guests to leave the balcony. As the chatter started growing faint Tao leaned in a little closer to listen. He heard the door shut, but was everyone really gone? With patience he waited an hour until he was almost positive that all the guests had gone back inside the mansion. Once he felt it was safe to make his move his feet stepped softly on each shingle of the roof. Too much preasure would break them, so he had to be extremely careful.

His breath hitched when he heard the scuffle of a person moving across the dusty stone floor of the balcony. Tao suddenly became anxious as his whole body came to a halt just when he had been ready to jump down onto the balcony. He sat frozen on the edge of the roof, since he was unsure if he had been spotted. It was like there was a snake coiling itself around his heart and lungs. It squeezed tight before burrowing deep into a hole in his heart. Just as he was about to retreat back behind the chimney a hand reached up to cup his face during the stillness. He had been caught. "State your purpose for intrusion", a strong voice demanded as the hand pulled Tao's face closer for further inspection.

A sly smirk flashed upon Tao's face. He knew the other was trying to intimidate him with his tone, but he would not be walked on. Never would he let that happen again. Although surely his mouth would get him killed one day for what he could not bite his tongue on. "My purpose is to liberate the wasted spoils of the undeserving", he answered with a smug look glued to his face.

Kai pulled the intruder down harshly from where he had settled himself in wait for strike. "Who are you to say who is deserving?", he growled with an unamused expression that stretched over his whole being. It was shown clearly in the way he so roughly handled Tao. He shoved him to his knees and gripped tightly a fistful of the criminal's hair to hold him steady as he looked at the tattoo on his nape. Kai his thumb before rubbing it against the ID number there. He knew from experience that it must be fake. The ink faded with ease to reveal that the intruder had changed the six in his ID number to an eight. Most likely Tao is an illegal or a criminal on the run he figured. Tao struggled and squirmed in Kai's grasp, but he had met his match. He could tell by the lightness of his steps that the man had similar training to that he'd received. That's how he'd been so quiet at first he was undetectable even to his heightened senses. Kai got him in a chokehold during the struggle. Since Tao didn't want to risk the definite possibility of losing a fight he decided to play dead for the time being. As the grip tightened around his neck, Tao took this as a perfect opportunity. He had learned to slow his breathing and lower his pulse for emergencies such as this, so that he could fake being unconscious. Tao slowly went limp in the man's arms. His breathing slowed to a quiet and steady pace and the one who held him seemed to be buying it. After he felt his pulse being taken, he stayed limp as the other man laid him down.Tao listened intently and kept calm. "Where is Kyungsoo?", the man asked and then there was a pause. When Tao heard a loud muffled response he knew it must have been a conversation over hand radios. There was only so long he could keep the act up before he actually became legitimately unconsious, so Tao was having an internal debate about just when he should make his escape. "Well go get him! Now! I want him in FKS within the next five minutes or I'll tear you to ing pieces! Do you understand?", Kai yelled into his radio. After he got a response, the static over the radio ceased, because he had turned it off.

When he eventually turned his radio back on and heard that Kyungsoo had been successfully transported to the safezone Kai felt relieved. It's his job as the governor's head of the guard to make certain the governor and his son, Kyungsoo are the first to be taken to safety in the midst of a crisis. "There is an intruder up on the balcony that I apprehended. He is unconscious, but will not remain so for long. Come fetch him and throw him in a holding cell. I want guards on him every second of the day as well. Quickly now.", Kai's voice was completely serious and commanding, leaving no room for error or incompetence. When his orders had been recieved and confirmed by his guards, he sighed and looked down. His fists clenched and his eyes widened. The intruder had disappeared without a sound. Guards then burst onto the terrace with guns held at the ready as their eyes scanned the area for threats. "Damn.... I want every off duty soldier on a manhunt. He is very clever and dangerous. I want him found alive. His crimes are forging identification, entering the city illegally, and treason. I want him in a cell as soon as possible!", Kai sent his guards off on their mission and then headed back inside to join the party again. He could not have the public sent into a panic, so he tried his best to act as if everything was going smoothly. While the governor was secretly escorted to his personal bunker by the guards, Kai kept the guests distracted by capturing a few hearts with meaningless flirtation. Kyungsoo's welfare kept eating at him though throughout the night. He felt that he had to physically see that he was alright.

After the party drew to a close and he had bid the last guest a good night, Kai had his driver take him to one of many safezones. They put on respiratory masks before getting in the car, because this safezone was outside the dome where the air was so dense it is very difficult to breathe unless one is a mutant or has very strong lungs. He was a lot more calm when they reached the secret bunker-style underground base. Kyungsoo had named it "Fort Kaisoo", and Kai always called it "FKS" when around others since it was a bit embarrassing to him. What the letters stood for was their own little secret, so it made it a little more romantic in a sense anyways. He told his driver to wait for him while he went inside to check on the status of the base. Once inside, he took off the mask and searched the many large, spacous rooms for Kyungsoo. "Soo! Where are you....?", he called out, but got no response. "KYUNGSOO!", he yelled louder as his worry returned. Still, there was no response. He tried calling out many different times from many different rooms, but Kyungsoo was not here. Had he been lied to? His men had said that Kyungsoo had made it to FKS. Had something happened here then? Kyungsoo wouldn't just run off like that, so he had to have been taken. Kai clenched his fists as a rage started boiling within him. He felt he could easily murder whoever had taken Kyungsoo without even batting an eyelash no matter who it was. The incompetence of the men that lost him was even more angering. Kai rushed out of the base and back into the car. He coughed when he got back in the car, because he'd been in such a hurry that he'd forgotten to put his mask back on. "Take.... me back.... now....", he ordered the driver as he finally put his mask back on. All night he searched for Kyungsoo on his own, which stretched out through early morning as well without a trace of where he'd vanished to.

On the brink of exhaustion, Kai slumped down in the armchair in the corner of Kyungsoo's room. It was where Kyungsoo would sit and read by the light of the sunrise each morning. He remembered many times waking up from the absence of his presence in bed to see Kyungsoo bathed in the beautiful orange glow that enhanced his already handsome features. It was his favorite thing to wake up to, and it saddened him to think of how he wouldn't be waking to it in this soon to be morning. He downed some whiskey to ease his restlessness, then fell asleep in the chair for a few hours. Although his body so desperately needed it, he couldn't sleep long knowing his lover had been taken from him yet again.