Prologue 2

Theft in the Dark

Sehun sighed as he stared down at the deathly drop down below. He sat on the edge of the roof of his apartment building while a refreshing breeze blew through his hair. "Do I jump, or live to see the beauty from this world fade away?", he whispered to the breeze, and let his thoughts be carried away by it. Then he dropped the draft paper he had been holding, expecting it to glide down slowly until it rested on the concrete. However, the gentleness of the breeze quickly turned harsh and blew the paper back at him. When he removed the paper that hugged his face he examined the world once more. Down the street he caught a glimpse of a man beating a woman through the window of their house. "Perhaps the world is not as beautiful as I thought. Let it burn. If I burn with it then I hope I at least had fun in the process. If I live through it then I hope some real beauty may rise up through the ashes", he said softly to himself as he stood back up. With the draft paper clutched tightly in his fist, he headed back inside to pack his things. Although he hated the idea of being in a place where he was ordered around and forced to comply with every order, he really had no choice. It was either go to war or go to prison. Either way he would have to give up his freedom for a while.

On his way to the bus stop to meet his ride to the encampment, he stopped in front of the house where he had seen that man beating what he assumed to be his wife or daughter. Cautiously, he approached the house. Although when he walked up the steps and stopped in front of the door he was dumbfounded. What was he supposed to say? He couldn't just knock on the door and ask someone if they were abusing their wife or daughter or whatever. What if his eyes had only misunderstood what he had seen? Sehun raised up his hand to knock on the door, but couldn't work up the nerve to actually do it. Then the door suddenly opened and someone on their way out bumped into him. "Sorry!" he said immediately as he quickly became very embarrassed. He was on a stranger's doorstep without a reason and now he'd been seen, so that made him very nervous.

When he finally looked at whom he'd impeded, he was surprised by their unusual appearance. Upon first glance, the long hair with a bright pink bow in it, the short black dress, and the makeup would make him think that this was a girl in front of him. However, he saw through it when he paused to actually examine the facial features. He soon became sure that this was a man in front of him, and this man clearly did not like dressing this way. The man looked beautiful, but miserable, and it seemed like his black eye wasn't the only reason. "I don't mean to be rude, but that dress doesn't suit you. You really don't have the s for it", he said as a verbal wink to him to let him know that he'd figured him out. Then as Sehun leaned in a little to get a better look at his blackened eye his fist clenched tight around the handle of his duffel bag. He couldn't stand seeing someone being hurt like this. If this was someone he actually knew he would've gone straight in that house and fought the man that did this without holding anything back. "Run away with me to the military. At least there you'll get a gun and be able to fight back. They're so desperate these days too that they'll take anyone with no questions asked. Just tell the old man in there you got drafted, okay?", Sehun said softly to him in a whisper in case anyone else was listening in secretly. Then he handed the stranger his draft letter, and left to go catch his bus.