Prologue 1

Theft in the Dark

"As a result of the recent nuclear attacks to neighboring nations by North Korea, citizens fear that it is only a matter of time until they attack their neighbors to the south. In an attempt to hit them before they can hit us, our president has approved of the first attack on the North"

Kris leaned back in his chair, taking long drags on his last cigarette while the radio gave news of the upcoming drafts. Once the cigarette had been burned until the last speck of white was gone he put it in the ashtray on the table in front of him, and turned off the radio. He just couldn't listen any further to the chaos that the world was coming to. Sure enough he would probably be drafted. Even though the draft is random that was just his luck. Besides, they would need all the help they could get. North Korea may have started the fight, but other countries were using the chaos to their advantage. They were starting to strike while countries were weakened by nuclear bombs. This sent the United Nations into an outrage, and so sides were already being taken. Even though South Korea had stayed neutral for a while the threat was all too real and could be felt all around the world. We were entering into WW III almost overnight as more countries joined the fight by the hour. He smirked as he thought of how long he had wanted to be a soldier fighting in a war for his country, and thought he should just volunteer if he was to be drafted anyway. Even though he wouldn't be fighting for China, South Korea had taken a very special place in his heart. All the friends he grew up with were here, and so he would fight for them. That night he packed up his things and left the town he'd grown to love for beds of dirt and the soothing sounds of bullets flying.

As he left he couldn't help remembering how much his best friend had wanted to be in the military too. He wondered if he would see him there. Although it would be nice to have a friend in the barracks to make the place seem not so ty, his friend had a family now. With a pregnant wife at home he had no business running off to be killed in the war. For Kris it was easy to leave though. He slipped away in the middle of the night, and no one cared. No one was bothering to even ask about his disappearance. That's how life is when you are completely alone. There is no one to mourn for him if he died. There is no one to arrange a funeral for him, or give a eulogy. If he died out there on the battlefield he would just fade from existence. Although those thoughts should've bothered most people they didn't bother Kris. They didn't bother him, because he knew he deserved this life. He deserved to be alone for the rest of his life.