[3]

violet fingerprints over bleeding youth
 

3.

 

 

“How many moles do you have? You have a lot there,” Seulgi said out of the blue when they were lining up to do a basketball threepoint, Wonwoo standing in front of her.

“You’re creepy. How would you know?”

“You’re standing in front of me and it’s visible in my line of vision. So obviously, that’s why I can see it,” Wonwoo’s cheek reddened as he found himself getting embarassed at her remark, and he hadn’t gotten himself a haircut.

“You have one in the nape of your neck here, and the other behind your right ear—“

“Seulgi has one too!” Soojung beamed from the line beside them, sounding a little bit too proud of her friend’s hidden feature. “But it’s a secret between the two of us, so no one will ever see it.”

“It’s no longer a secret since you said it, Soojung,” Seulgi shook her head disapprovingly, hair tied into a high bonytail, slender white neck coming out of her loose collar P.E sweatshirt, arms crossed over her chest. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Wonwoo grinned, smile teasing and absolutely not Seulgi’s favourite. “You’ve seen two of my moles, I’ll get to see yours too right?”

“From the sound of it, it’s not something you can just leisurely take a peek, Wonwoo,” Mingyu’s eyes drifted from Seulgi to Wonwoo. “From the sound of it.”

“Never,” her eyes rolled to the back of her head, ears heated and somehow seeing her acting that way, it made him even more curious to see that birthmark of hers.
 

Æ

 

Now, they were in their second year, and even though Soojung didn’t say it out loud, she knew these group of four would separate sooner or later. It was nice while it lasted, Soojung thought, days of knotted hair from searching materials for their History project, sitting together on canteen, knowing each other that Wonwoo was in the basketball team while Mingyu belonged to the soccer one.

Soojung and Seulgi didn’t really belong anywhere, like always. They still laid on the meadows in their uniforms after school, Seulgi tucking purple flowers to Soojung’s ears as many as she could and Soojung blew petals into Seulgi’s face whenever she fell asleep there. It was a sanctuary too dear for them to let go. They never told anyone about this, not even Mingyu and Wonwoo. Soojung didn’t need to say it to her that she refused the past to be repeated again. Seulgi just put two and two together and it always made sense.

It wasn’t like Wonwoo and Mingyu always sat together with them. They had their own group of friends and both Soojung and Seulgi drowned herself in each other’s eyes whenever they passed them because making eye contacts and assuming they wouldn’t turn their way could hurt.

It only hurt the other two boys instead most of the times, because whenenever they passed by each other, they would always had their eyes drawn to them. Mingyu to Soojung and Wonwoo to Seulgi. It was all for the intentional reason for recognisiton of something that they were more than just past classmates. 

Wonwoo, despite his rough exterior, was softer than he looked on the inside.

They did separate on eight grade. Soojung made some new friends, but their amount could never measure up to how big Seulgi’s part was in her life. They never stopped going to the meadow after school, but they stopped sitting with Mingyu and Wonwoo.

They didn’t really pay attention to them anymore, perhaps they have gained another set of girls to fill their empty spaces in group projects again.

Hair swaying left and right, brown tresses brushing black ones, Soojung and Seulgi chatted merrily while heading to a convenience store, right after they hung out on the meadow on their own as always. They looked so shamelessly pure and dainty, flower petals stuck on uniforms, ears and hair, they left marks of the Earth’s beauty trailing behind their steps

“Soojung? Seulgi?” They didn’t realize that they were walking to a bunch of boys from their school. Mingyu.and Wonwoo were standing between all of them. Their heads snapped to them, eyes widened in alarm making the petals fell to their shoulders.

“Your hair,” Wonwoo trailed on his words and his eyes stuck and glued to Seulgi’s face slowly contorting from happiness to a calm and wary one. “You are all covered in petals.”

“Where did the two of you came from?” Mingyu looked down at the purple flower tucked in Soojung’s right ear. He decided violet was her colour from that day. Her eyes were glued to the friends surrounding them instead. She felt suffocated all of the sudden, the attention was overwhelming.

She hastily touched her hair (her habit when she felt uncomfortable) finding the flower on her ear still there. She felt embrarrassment seeping into her skin she wanted to disappear and she quickly took it off and clutched it in her palm, hurting it in the hope it would kill her shame away. “Just some place away from here.”

“And we’re going home,” it was a lie, their home was on the opposite direction but it wasn’t like they wanted to join in their crowd. Too many boys surrounding them sounded irritable. Meeting Mingyu and Wonwoo were already a huge load on their shoulders. So they parted ways, not waiting for the group to part and walked around them.

“You’re friends with them? What’s with those flowers on their uniforms anyway? What a bunch of freaks,” one of his friends complained, and Mingyu only glanced at him for a glimpse, hiding a dark look behind his face because those girls were actually very nice and rare to find, so sincere and honest yet at the same time, covered themselves from the two of them with something they refused to let down.

Wonwoo laughed it out loud, but there was no humour in his voice, “-says the one who sneaked one different gundam to school everyday,” a loud ‘ooooh” echoed through them all, the boy’s ears heating up and Mingyu and Wonwoo nodded to each other with slightly coy smiles, knowing full well these guys wouldn’t get away from them if their ears caught any sound of them spreading words of these girls in foul and horrid sentences.