Back To Square One

Melody's Review Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Back To Square One
Title: 10/10
At first your title didn't make sense to the story but when it was explained in the end, it suddenly made sense. That, in turn, made the beginning of the first chapter make sense, leading it to be a nice circle and getting rid of any errant questions that were raised from the first part of the first chapter.

All in all, your title was rather clever.

Plot: 19.5/25
Believability
7/10
This plot follows a "perfect girl" and a "delinquent". That, in itself, is a little far fetched. Those two groups really don't interact within a high school dynamic, even if they bump into each other in the library. Yes, they would talk briefly but after that they would probably go back to being in their separate groups. Other than that, the high school setting was well played out and read like they were actually in one.

However, Sana living by herself raises doubts for it to be completely believable. When in high school you cannot live by yourself as you need a legal guardian, unless you are eighteen. The fact that she lives in a house alone is very questionable because at the very least, she would have a caretaker there with her.

Originality
2.5/5
The plot couldn't be called original for two reasons. One; in the foreword you did say that it was going to have the anime feel due to one anime. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean it's based off of an anime, however, it was implied. Two; there are multiple fics based off of a school romance involving a smart girl and a bad boy. That's the most common thing for people to write about which, makes every other story seem unoriginal unless they really work at making it different.

Sadly, this plot did not.

However, the use of the carvings of Japanese and French on the table with the book acting as a translator was quite clever.

Setting
10/10
The setting is the stereotypical high school in an anime. It played out well and the details of the setting were rather well done.

Characterization: 05/35
(Presentation: 3/5 | Development: 02/10 | Diversity/Purpose: 00/20)
Sana
To be blunt, Sana is a Mary Sue. The whole "good-girl-turned-bad" is one of the biggest tropes in fan fiction and, quite honestly, overdone. Not to mention the fact that she's pretty, rich, has absent parents, has a life threatening disease, and is one of the three smartest girls in the school. She's perfect in every sense of the word and this remains constant throughout the story, making her unlikable to many people.

It would probably have been better if she grew from this mould that was set in the beginning of the story and into her own character, but, she stayed little miss perfect. Hence her nickname in the story, one would think. Yet, if she despised that nickname, then it would be a natural reaction to shed the habits that led to it. Sana was the same throughout the entire story, leading it to be the same story.

Jeongguk
Jeongguk is the bad boy that every girl fantasizes about. "Tough and cold to every one but me.". The typical delinquent that is seen in almost

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter