Reminisce - - the good ol’ days

Taken Hostage?!

               Back to the beginning. This is where it all started. The quarrels, the friends, the make ups and break ups. The summer time romances, slices of watermelon and drinking bubble tea. Those times when I put on that new swim suit and waded in the kiddie pool with all my friends. You know exactly what I’m talking about; elementary school. Don’t you just miss the dramatic life of a 6 year old at recess? Best friends with a guy in a moment, married to him in the next, and before the bell even rings for you to go inside, you see him playing with another girl at the swing set. Life was so cruel.

 

                “So here I am again . . ."  I thought as I walked around the playground. I trailed my fingers across the cold metal, remembering the blisters I got from the monkey bars and the dangerous games of marco polo we had at recess. “Pwahahaha”, I started to laugh aloud softly, remembering that one time where they kept calling polo and I managed to walk into - - -

                 *DRINGG*

The bell sounded, interrupting my thoughts.  

                “Time to go in kids!”, I called. I slowly turned my heel, making my way back inside. The brisk winter air was biting into my thin jacket, and I rubbed my chilled hands to warm them. As the kids started to walk in, I smiled at the ones holding hands as they entered the school. How sweet.

Where did Soo Min and Hae Won run off to, I began to think, starting to get a little jealous at the kids who were surrounded by their own friends. Here I was, walking alone, shivering and talking to myself. I must look like I’m crazy. I was stepping through the door just as they called my name out.

                “Min Ja!”

 I turned around a smile growing on my face, ecstatic. My friends? I thought, perking up.

                “Min  Ja. Wait up!” Soo Min cried while Hae Won panted out “Hold the door!” They slowly jogged to the door as I held it open.

                “Balli” I urged, feeling the cold air rushing in. The assistant teacher in the adjoining room gave me a look. I gave her an apologetic look as my friends loudly came in, stamping their feet to dust the snow off their shoes. As the door shut, I turned back to the assistant, putting my hands together for a sincere sorry.

                “Bian seon-saeng-nim” I said quietly. She nodded and went back to work.

I ushered Soo Min and Hae Won in past the inner doors.

                “Where did you guys go?” I asked somewhat resentfully.

                “Oh, nowhere in particular” Hae Won replied, a small smile growing on her face as she turned to Soo Min. They started to

                giggle.                

                “Yah” I cried, playfully smacking their arms. “How could you leave me to watch all the kids?!”

                “Oh, you were fine” Hae Won said through dying giggles. She flashed me a smile.

                “Aniyo. It was cold. All the kids had friends and I was alone“ I began, pouting, as they started giggling again.

                “Yah! Why do you keep giggling?!” I cried louder, turning away from them. They laughed louder and linked their arms

                through mine.

                “Min Ja, don’t be mad. We were just scouting out some guys for you.” Soo Min said playfully.

I soften up. “Really?” I asked. I looked around the halls. It was filled with people, children and adults alike. Today the school was filled with teachers, volunteers, and supervisors, trying to manage the upcoming festival being hosted in the school field. My gaze trailed from head to head until I caught sight of light brown mop of hair. Why do I always notice him. I quickly averted my gaze just as he raised his head, looking back to Hae Won.

 

                “Of course!” Hae Won replied “ . . . Well, after looking for some of our own.” They both laughed.

We continued to walk down the halls, our arms still linked. I smiled.

                “So . . . did you find anyone?” I asked, somehow finding that brown head in the crowd again. I could see the profile of his face, and his lips turned up into a little pout. How cute . . . AISH. Stop looking Min Ja I said reprimanding myself when I caught myself staring. I forecfully turned my head away from his direction.

                “Um yeah, you could say that” Hae Won said, her lips and maneuvering  through the crowd. “Let’s get something to drink though. All that scouting made me thirsty.” She dropped my arm and began to lead the way.

 

We angled ourselves to the gym doors where the drink machines stood. Scores of kids weaved past our legs and into the halls. It’s so hectic in an elementary school I thought.

 I wonder where Min Hi is . . .. My younger sister was nowhere to be seen. I stretched around the crowd, trying to find her wavy hair with a blue bow stuck on it.

                Nothing.

I sighed. Hae Won reached the drink machine and punched in B1 for a guava drink. It popped out the bottom and she grabbed it quickly. She punched the straw through the top and slurped the entire thing in one breath. Soo Min and I stood watching.

 

                “Ahh, that hit the spot” Hae Won sighed, content. “What anything?”

                “Sure. Whatever you like” we replied knowingly, handing her some change. Knowing Hae Won, she’d ask us for some anyways and finish most of it after grabbing us one, complaining if it didn’t suit her taste. So she punched in B1 for another guava drink and it popped out. She inserted the rest of the coins and looked through the case, indecisive.

                “Min Ja, what do you want to drink. There’s . . . peach juice or cappuccino.” She said pointing at E3 and A4.

                “Cappuccinio” I replied. I gazed over the crowd again looking for Min Hi’s blue bow. AH! MIN HI! Her small head bobbed through the hall stopping . . . at the brown mop of hair. D: I turned from Hae Won.

                “MIN HI!” I called. The brown head dropped to Min Hi’s height. OTOKE?! I wanted to rush over there and grab her. But wait . . . why would I have to do that. I tapped my foot nervously, waiting for her to walk away.

                Aish, why do I always notice him and why is my little sister talking to him. Honestly Min Ja, are you stalking him or something. Watching where he goes. Seeing who he’s with. Do I have a crush. NO. no. I don’t even know his name and he only stands out because of his hair. I kept staring. Min Hi, walk away. Balli. I felt butterflies in my stomach. AH! He’s standing. Good .. . and look, now he’s going into the washroom.

 I mentally slapped myself. Stop watching him Min Ja. I turned back to Hae Won.            

 

Quietly by my side Soo Min asked “what’s up?” noticing my inattention to Hae Won “exciting” choice of drinks.

                “No nothing . . . “ I said trailing off, continuing to watch my little sister. I raised my hand and she looked up. “Iliwa” I mouthed motioning for her to come. Her head bobbed in reply.

                “All right!” Hae Won punched A4 in and it dropped to the bottom. She handed us our respective drinks.

                “A delicious B1 guava drink for Soo Min, and a refreshing A4 Cappuccino for my lovely Min Ja” she smiled. We laughed at her joke and began sipping our drinks. As we turned away, I felt Min Hi rush into my legs.

                “Unnie!” she cried. I smiled, crouching beside her.

                “Min Hi, An nyoung” I smiled holding her gently. “Say hi to Soo Min and Hae Won unnie” she gave them a little wave and they smile back. “What have you been up to?” I asked.

                “Oh, just playing with some friends” she replied sheepishly. She looked down at her shoes smiling and began playing with something in her hands. It looked like some sort of candy. New friends?! I thought, thinking back to her recent encounter with him. Looking back at her face, I considered asking her about him but she happened to beat me to it.

                “Unni,” she whispered, looking up at me and began pointing in the direction of the washrooms “that oppa said he knew you.” She said, giving me a wide grin. I froze.

                “He did?” I said, acting calm even though I felt my heart beat irregularly. “What did he say?”

                “Mmmmm,” she thought aloud “he told me not to tell you and gave me this to keep his secret” she said holding up a small white rabbit candy.

                “Oh” I replied, my face straining into a smile. Soo Min and Hae Won leaned into our conversation, their interests piqued.

                “But,” she continued “I love Unnie so I’ll tell you. He said that you’re the creepy girl that is always staring at him.” She giggled, and my mouth dropped. Hae Won and Soo Min stared at each other with big eyes.

                               

                Min Hi casually popped the candy into , excused herself for class, and walked away quietly, her little jaw working hard to munch on her candy. I gave her a small wave, but my thoughts were in a frenzy.

HE NOTICED?! AND HE THINKS YOU’RE CREEPY. Oh Min Ja, now you’re going to be known as a stalker. AND A CREEPY ONE AT THAT. Min Ja you PABO. Just how much can you embarrass yourself?  I dropped my head into my hands and groaned. This could not have been worse.

                “YAH MIN JA,” Soo Min cried “you like LEE TAEMIN?!”

My head shot up. So that’s his name . . . 

 

 

 

 

D:  This is my first story . It came to me in a dream o.o

Please enjoy my fanciful imagination. I'm kind of new to this, so recommondations are more than welcome

Enjoy your day~ Btw, its almost winter break yayy!