Chapter 5

HOME

Six days later.

 

Wonho just arrived at his house after received all the documents he need to move to Pyeongchang. He parked his car inside the garage and when he was about to go inside, suddenly his girlfriend showed up.

 

“So you just wanna left me here?” Bona couldn’t hide her emotions.

 

Wonho couldn’t look at her eyes - it’s frustrating him. He knew that he’s wrong to keep a secret from his girlfriend about this.

 

“Bona-ya, that’s not what I mean..”

 

“Oh really? I know it’s good for us not having long distance relationship since I don’t know when will you come to Seoul again and I’m just being here missing you like crazy, but can you at least tell me as your girlfriend?”

 

Wonho is still quiet, didn’t know how to reply his girlfriend’s question.

 

“Oppa, for all this time, what have you been thinking about me? I know I’m not that smart compared to my friends, I know that I’m childish and I still nags, but do you think I can’t feel anything about this? Do you think I never care of my feelings for you?” Her voice cracked.

 

“No! Why do you think like that, babe?”

 

“Because if you really think that I care,” Bona couldn’t hold her feelings anymore - suddenly she cried in front of her boyfriend, “if you really think of me as your girlfriend, you should have said to me about this since the first time you know that you will be transferred to another city, Oppa.”

 

“Bona-ya, I’m sorry,” Wonho hugged her immediately, “I don’t want you to be sad and worry too much after hearing this,”

 

She refused.

 

“Please, let me explain it to you.” Wonho tried to grab his girlfriend’s hand, but she still refused.

 

“You don’t have to. I appreciate your decision about us, and I want you to know mine.”

 

“Bona-ya, I’m so sorry..”

 

“I can’t take this anymore. I’m going home. Good bye, Wonho-oppa.”

 

Bona didn’t look back even once.

 


 

Wonho couldn’t sleep this night. His ex-girlfriend words are still on his mind.

 

For all this time, what have you been thinking about me?

 

He couldn’t believe that his last day in Seoul would be his break-up day with his girlfriend.

 

I appreciate your decision about us, and I want you to know mine.

 

He started to cry.

 

It’s so painful to him - his sickness, his break-up with his girlfriend, his discharge from his basketball club, his being transferred to a school in another city - all the bad things come to him in just a matter of time. He checked his phone, looking for any notifications, hoping that his ex-girlfriend will text or send a weird picture to him, like she used to.

 

Hyung, what time will you go tomorrow? You need to take a picture with us and Mr. Kim before you go.

-Lim Changkyun

 

Hyung, are you leaving this city for real? Why don’t you tell me? I will miss you :(

-Yoon Sejun

 

Hyung, when winter comes, don’t forget to take photos and send them to us, okay? I heard that when winter comes the scenery of Pyeongchang is absolutely amazing, wish I could go there sometimes :(

-Han Dongwoo

 

“Just some messages from my basketball teammates,” he sighed. He missed those memories - those times when his ex-girlfriend cried about her bad day and hugged him tightly, those times when his ex-girlfriend nagged him to go somewhere new and take some photos there, those times when they’re laying next to each other on a couch and watched a movie together, with some cuddles and laughs - and he hated the fact that he knew he couldn’t spend his days with her anymore.

 

He cried, thinking how stupid and selfish he was not to tell his ex-girlfriend about what he’s struggling of, that may be his ex-girlfriend was not supposed to know because she couldn’t take the news about him. He cried, hoping that he could turn back time, or make a time loop with his ex-girlfriend and stay there forever. He cried so hard - he didn’t even realized that his pillow became so wet because of his tears.

 

He heard footsteps of his mother coming to his room.

 

“Wonho-ya, what are you doing this time?” his mother asked. “Did you just cry?”

 

“No, Mom. I’m okay,” he wiped his tears.

 

“I know you, my son. Just tell me what happened,” said his mother, patted his shoulder. “Is it about your break-up with Bona?”

 

“I couldn’t let her go,” Wonho replied, “She’s the best thing that I ever had, Mom.”

 

“Don’t be sad, my son,” she caressed him. “You know, this is all for your good. The important thing is we love you so much, and that’s all that matters. If she’s breaking up with you just because she can’t stand to have a long distance relationship with you, then why you’re still forcing your relationship with her?”

 

“I don’t know, Mom. I guess I’m being so selfish about this, but I don’t care. I don’t think that I can’t find any girl like her, and I’m so scared of it I couldn’t even think a way to solve this,” Wonho started to cry again, and this time he cried louder than he was before.

 

“It’s going to be alright, dear. You have to remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful struck of luck,” she kept caressed him, “You don’t even know how it’s like to live in Pyeongchang, and I’m sure you will find many good friends there, or even may be your truly one. So, cherish all those moments that you had with her and not hating it.”

 

“...But how?”

 

“You’ll find out someday,” she looked at her son, “No relationship is ever a waste of your time. If it didn’t bring you what you want, it taught you what you don’t want.”

 


 

7.00 a.m.

 

“Wonho-ya! Let’s go,” his father called, signalling him to be quick.

 

“A minute,” he replied while he went down the stairs.

 

“Be careful there, okay? You have to be good to your aunt, remember that,” his mother kissed his left cheek. “And don’t forget to give this to her.”

 

“I will, Mom, don’t worry,” he hugged his mother tightly. “Come visit me often, okay?”

 

“Sure. Be careful on the way, guys!”

 

2 hours passed and they arrived at Wonho’s aunt home.

 

“Hello, Jihee-nuna,” his father greeted his aunt. “We’re so sorry for bothering you, Nuna.”

 

“Oh, Hyunwoo-ya! It’s okay, don’t say that,” Wonho’s aunt greeted them back happily. “It’s been a long time since the last time I saw you guys. How’s my sister?”

 

“Jisoo is getting a little busier these days, but she’s good. Wonho-ya, say a greeting to her.”

 

“Hello, Aunt Jihee,” Wonho bowed his head to her.

 

“Wonho-ya, long time no see,” she patted his shoulder. “You’re a big boy now, aren’t you? The last time I saw you is you’re just about this tall and skinny. God, time flies too fast.”

 

“He was a basketball captain, Nuna, that’s why he got muscular abs and many girls are going crazy over him.” his father explained, which makes Wonho shy.

 

“Wow, that’s great to hear. Anyways, let’s take your belongings and put them in your room, Wonho-ya.”