3. Reflection

Her Reflection, His Mirror : : WSWC2011
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Orange light spilled through the open glass windows, casting shadows inside the class room. The sun was about to set over the horizon and the school was nearly devoid of teachers and students. Silence passed between the two students – the boy gazing worriedly at the girl, while the latter had her eyes on the floor, ashamed.

 

Never had she felt so appalled of herself. She was finally beginning to grasp the extent of his love - an emotion new to her; and it was beyond what she thought he was feeling for her. And to make her feel even worse, she was doing the exact same thing she hated the most to the very person who accepted her wholeheartedly. She has always been careful with her words and actions towards others because she knew how it is to be hurt. How could she do this to him? Tears pooled in her lids, the gravity of her actions causing the clear liquid to spill.

 

Panic alarmed all his senses at the first trickle of liquid down her cheek. Cruel. His heart dropped to his stomach at the word she used to describe herself. It wasn’t included in the list of adjectives he had for her. She is the only person who could break him; even so, he didn’t like to see her in tears.

 

She cried quietly, unmoving, when she felt his strong arms wrap around her shoulder and waist. “Shh, you are not,” he cooed, pulling her closer to him. “I shouldn’t have said that.”

 

“Stop being so nice,” she choked. “It was my fault. What I did was unforgiveable.”

 

“No. You stop being so hard on yourself,” he reprimanded her gently, caressing her back. “Like you said, you were just protecting yourself and I understand that. But can’t you see that I won’t hurt you? My heart would break even before that happens. All I am asking for is for you to let me in.”

 

He vowed to cherish her, and most importantly, to protect her, even from herself. She is her worst critic and he has witnessed how hard she is on herself. For the past months, he has been helping her fix that.

 

“You don’t realize it but you were very careful with my heart, even during my confession. I know that this is new to you, too much for you to take but you guarded my heart while protecting yours.”

 

“I… did?” her voice wavered, mixed confusion and wonder marred in her features and she felt him nod, his chin brushing her shoulder. There was so much about herself she didn’t know. It amazed her how Jiyong knew her more than herself. But what puzzled her most was that, she wasn’t pushing him away. She instead found herself listening to him, letting him hold her as long as he pleases. It felt right.

 

“Yes, love,” he said, his chin still resting on her shoulder. “That’s why I could never give up on you, on us. I love you too much. And there is nothing that could take away my love for you, even you.”

 

She gulped, overwhelmed by the intensity of his emotions, but she couldn’t deny them any longer. They were real. “So then?”

 

“But there are times that I feel like I am forcing you to reciprocate my feelings. I know I have been doing that to you, but… I hope that you would love me in your own terms. I am scared that you won’t be able to do that without me pushing you. Please take away my fear.” His plea mixed with his love and longing made her heart heavy. She should just accept him and take him out of his misery. But, she was still uncertain of herself.

 

He gave her another squeeze hearing the wheels turning inside her head. She was always thinking too much. It couldn’t be helped. Even though they would be graduating in a few months, they were still high school students; what would they know about love and relationships? He might be young for that but he is certain with what he feels.

 

“I would never hurt you. My heart could not allow it. Trust me,” he whispered, brushing his lips on the outer shell of her ear. “Please tell me. After all that I have said and done, is there still a reason why I shouldn’t love you?”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Fireworks burst in the night sky and she found herself smiling at the spectacular display of colours against the black canvas. She pulled her coat closer as she walked briskly down the chilly streets of Seoul. For five straight years, she never missed the chance of watching the fir

Please log in to read the full chapter