1. Confessions

Her Reflection, His Mirror : : WSWC2011
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The dark sky burst into an array of bright colours, the fireworks creating breathtaking and spectacular patterns as midnight struck. The loud noise from crackers, horns, party poppers and cheers erupted as everyone welcomed the New Year. But amidst the celebration, a silence fell between two souls in a building rooftop.

 

They definitely had the best view of the open heavens; if only they were looking. At that moment, both were subjected to an array of emotions exploding within them, so intense that the fireworks display amounted to nothing. The air surrounding them grew thick and the coldness of the icy winter breeze enveloping their bodies could not contend to the warmth that rushed through their veins.

 

His anticipating heart quivered, knowing full well that his life was hanging by a thread. Who could ever think that the waiting part after the confession would be mentally and physically draining enough to bring him to his knees?  It took him years to build enough courage just for that day to come only for him to realize that he wasn’t fully prepared if it didn’t turn out the way he hoped. He stood there, fighting off all the negative feelings he was nursing and held on to the only thing that kept his heart beating.

 

Her mind whirred at the words he just uttered; she stood motionless in front of him, beyond confused that she could not even form one coherent word. Just a few words from him, carried by his passionate and almost pleading voice, made her breath hitch, her heart hammer against her chest and her control shake; it terrified her.

 
He stared longingly into her soft hazel eyes searching for any hint of assurance that could calm his wildly beating heart but much to his dismay, she didn't do anything to slow down the rate his heart was going. Her deep hazel eyes rounded at him as if he said something ridiculous.


It was only after a few more tense moments that she confirmed his thoughts. "What? What did you just say?" she asked, almost breathless, shaking her head in an attempt to clear her thoughts, before fixing her gaze.


He swallowed the lump in his throat, his voice soft and shaky. "I love you. Will you go out on a date with me?" Reduced to a few words, he repeated his confession, slowly feeling the dread and the pain that she was about to inflict on him sensing her denial. But he hoped he was wrong because he can’t imagine what would have become of him. It scared him to even think about it.


She gaped at him in disbelief, her mind spiralling to find the logic in his words. Was she even hearing it correctly? Fate has definitely a way of making her life more complicated than it already was.

 

She wouldn’t deny that the boy in front of her could charm every girl that comes his way. He is heartbreakingly handsome and has a great personality that draws people to him. He is, much to her chagrin, on a level above her in everything. What could someone like him want from her?

 

Gathering all that was left of her sanity, she straightened up and looked at him straight in the eye, "Is this one of your pranks, Mr. Kwon Jiyong? It's not even funny,” she grounded.

 

With every word, his heart thumped hard against his chest in protest. With every word, his energy seeped from him. With every word, all his hopes shattered. How could she even say that after pouring his heart out? How could his gentle angel stab his heart with her words?

 

"Please don't mock me and my love for you." His eyes burned with mixed anger and hurt. She was taking him so lightly when he was serious about his feelings for her. "I have wanted to tell you this,” he said, steadying his voice, “all these years. But you didn't even let me take one step close to you."


"Exactly,” she bit back and he cringed at her cold response. “So why are you saying this?!" She snapped, losing her control because of him. She had been keeping her distance from him, to save herself from the pain but here he was asking her for the exact opposite.

 

He could hear the wheels turning in her head. It was the first time he saw her being rattled. But even at her current state, she was glorious. Her almond eyes were stunning even as they threw daggers at him, her luscious pink lips slightly agape and her cheeks were flaming red. The breeze tossed her black hair, draping her shoulders in beautiful waves. The glow from the fireworks adding more intensity to the emotions displayed in her face. She was definitely a sight to behold.

 

"Because I don't want to spend another year hiding my feelings from you… I don’t want to think of the ‘what if’s’…I can’t bear loving you from a distance anymore," he confessed, a small smile tugging his lips as he closed their distance. But as he took one step forward, she backed away with two, choking his heart.

 

Fear and doubt was making her weak and vulnerable but she wasn’t going to break down in his presence. All the past hurts came rushing back, stabbing her already bruised heart, despite the steel exterior she had built around it. "I hate this," she muttered under her breath, but he heard it loud and clear. She only realized it when she heard him say sadly, "Why? Why do you hate me?” She lifted her gaze just in time to see his eyes water as he repeated the words she didn’t want to hear, “I love you."


Guilt washed over her as clear liquid pool in his lids, the pain mirrored in his brown eyes. "Did I do something you didn't like?” He asked in a tortured voice, pain crashing over him like a tidal wave. “Tell me please." Desperation was evident in his voice as he bridged the space between them with three long strides, gripping her shoulders.

 

Of all people, it had to be her. How did that happen? She wasn’t the type of person that would hate on another on a whim. She was generally quiet and spends most of time by herself but she was kind and generous. What started out as a crush, turned to something deeper; the more he laid his eyes on her, the more he fell for her. It was her smile that captured his eyes but it was her genuine kindness that held his heart captive. Fate was indeed cruel to him for being the person his love hates.


"I... I'm sorry. I don't hate you. I..." She stammered, her eyes wa

Please log in to read the full chapter