The third sense

The 7th Sense

Today, Kyunghyun came to the café alone. Taeil raised his eyebrow in curiosity upon seeing the oddness. She would usually come with her boyfriend, so why did she suddenly come alone?

“Hi, Taeil-ah! Make me some caramel macchiato, please!” she ordered in a cheery voice.

“Ah, why so sudden? I thought you can’t drink coffee?”

“Doyoung is out taking care of some important family business, so I’m free for today!”

She was talking as if she was relieved to be without Doyoung for once. Taeil thought she really loved Doyoung that much, but he figured the boy was kind of possessive around her, like never ever letting her go even for just a moment. They even went to the bathroom together; Taeil had seen that once when they were lounging around the café.

“Okay, one caramel macchiato. Do you like it hot or cold?”

“Hmm,” she looked at him with such fond eyes, “hot, just like you.”

At that moment, Taeil felt something burning on both his cheeks. Was she... flirting with him? But she already had a boyfriend though, why would she do that?

“Taeil-ah.”

He saw the little boy turning towards the childish voice calling him. A little girl ran towards him with a bunch of asters in her hand, and then she handed it to him.

“Here. Take it.”

“Oh, it’s pretty,” the little boy said. “But why are you giving this to me?”

The girl beckoned the boy to get closer. As he got closer, she whispered something into his ears.

“Because I like you.”

“Taeil-ah.”

He heard Kyunghyun’s soft voice calling him, and immediately snapped out of it. He looked totally bewildered, and she looked concerned.

“What’s wrong? Are you feeling sick?” she asked with a worried look on her face.

Taeil shook his head, trying to pull himself together. “No, I’m fine. I’ll make you the caramel macchiato.”

“Really? Are you sure?”

“Yes. Wait a minute.”

He could see that she wasn’t really assured, but she didn’t ask further questions. He then tried to distract himself with the coffee machine, but as he was waiting for the coffee to brew, he couldn’t help but think of what he had seen again.

He was even more assured that the boy he saw was indeed himself. But who was that girl? Now that he thought about it, he kept seeing this whenever he saw her.

He tried to take a look at Kyunghyun, who was still waiting for her order by the counter, but couldn’t dare to turn fully at her until he finished making her drink.

Once he did though, he was finally able to look at her face-to-face.

“Here is your drink.”

“Thank you!” She paid for the coffee and gave him a wide smile.

“Yeah, you’re welcome.”

“By the way,” she started, although she hesitated for a second, but she continued anyway, “when will you be free? Are you working a nightshift or...”

“Me?” Taeil didn’t seem to be so sure of what he was hearing now. “I—well, I’ll finish my shift in 30 more minutes, why?”

“I’m just wondering if you want to go out with me.”

Yeah, he definitely couldn’t believe it. She was asking him to go out with her, even though she already had a boyfriend.

“Don’t worry, we’ll just go out as a friend! You know, hanging out and stuff.”

The more Kyunghyun assured him that way, the more tempted he was to actually go for it. As he looked at the clock and Kyunghyun back and forth, he was slowly forming a decision in his mind.

“Okay.”

“Yes! Thank you! I’ll sit at that table while waiting for your shift to end!”

She then moved towards an empty table and sat there just like what she said. Taeil just looked on, while she turned at him for a moment to throw a sweet smile. At that, he felt like his insides were melting.

 

 

After getting himself out of his apron (which was the only thing that qualified as his work uniform) as a sign of ending his shift, he was greeted with Kyunghyun’s warm smile.

“Do you like chicken and beer?” she asked. “How about we buy those and then eat them at Han River?”

“Well...” Taeil wanted to say that he didn’t really drink alcohol, but seeing her bright face made it hard for him to say no. So he just said okay to her suggestion, and there they were, sitting on the grass while looking at the night view of Han River, with chicken and beer laid out on the grass as well.

“This is the real taste of freedom! Don’t you think, Taeil-ah?”

She was holding a chicken leg on one hand while holding a bottle of beer on the other. He just smiled and grabbed a chicken leg on his own, but he tried not to drink too much.

“I really love this kind of day, when I can go wherever and with whomever I like...”

As he bit on his chicken leg, he felt something was wrong. When he looked at Kyunghyun, she was drinking another sip of the beer, and then proceeded to finish the chicken leg in her other hand.

“Have you never felt free all this time?”

At that, Kyunghyun put down the beer and the remains of her chicken leg, while her fingers that held the chicken just now.

“I don’t know. I feel like I can go anywhere with Doyoung, but it’s different...”

She put down her head, her eyes lingering on her bottle of beer.

“I like him, don’t I?”

Taeil turned to look at her, an unexplainable feeling spreading in his chest.

“Doyoung? You like him. It’s obvious.”

Kyunghyun looked up at Taeil, her eyes showing signs of tears.

“Then why do I feel like I want to be with anyone but him right now?”

“Why?”

Taeil saw the boy and the girl again, but this time, the girl was with her parents. It seemed like she was crying while looking at her parents.

“Your father will have to move away from here. But don’t worry, you can still call Taeil whenever you miss him.”

The boy hugged the girl from behind, seemingly trying to comfort him.

“Your mom is right. We have telephone in my house. We can still call each other!”

The girl was still sobbing as she turned to the boy. “I will call often then!”

The boy smiled while wiping the tears on her cheek. “Of course! I will wait for your call!”

“Why do I feel like I want to be with you right now?”

Taeil blinked. He was not drunk, he was sure of it. So what was it that he saw again? Was it another one of his forgotten past?

He looked at Kyunghyun again in the eye. Then he reached out to wipe the tears that were already staining her cheek. He suddenly felt goosebumps, because it was exactly the same thing he saw in his vision just now. Not only that, it felt so familiar.

“Have we ever met before?” he eventually uttered the question.

She smiled, showing a genuine eye smile. Her smile was also a sign of relief, he noticed. She held his hand that he used to wipe her tears. She reached out her other hand to his cheek, her smile becoming even more genuine.

“Do you remember me?”

Bit by bit, more pictures of the little boy and girl started to fill his vision. As they started to fill, their faces were also getting closer to each other, as if they were ready to share a passionate kiss.

 

 

Jaehyun woke up to the sound of his ringing phone.

He didn’t make a move to pick it up quickly though. He was too distracted by what he saw in his dream just now. It couldn’t be real, right? The fact that he saw Kyunghyun and Taeil in his dream, acting like lovers?

His phone stopped ringing, which made him realize that it was ringing. Not too long after that though, it started ringing again. This time, he reached out his hand to his bedside table, where his phone was located. The words ‘private number’ was on his phone. Sure, he wouldn’t expect Winwin to call him with some public number.

He was hesitant in picking up the call, mostly because he wasn’t sure if his dream happened for real. All of his dreams with the blonde girl in it happened during his daylight nap, but the dream he had just now happened during midnight, so he wasn’t sure if it was really his power working or just his high level imagination. Sighing, he picked up the call.

“Hey. Took you long enough to pick up.”

Jaehyun sighed once again. The other boy definitely didn’t know what he just went through.

“Anyway, any news? You must be having a dream just now, right?”

“Well... I haven’t agreed on helping you yet.”

“You agreed by the time you called in to our number. Now spill it.”

“Gosh, you’re really persistent.” Jaehyun shook his head, wondering why such person existed. “I’m not sure if it’s real anyway, so there’s no use telling you about it.”

“Why not? Do you still not believe that you are a clairvoyant?”

“No, it’s not that...” Well, probably that actually, he thought. Indeed, he still wasn’t sure 100% about his power. “The thing is that, my dream about her always happened during the daylight, not at night, so I’m not sure about it...”

“Hmm, perhaps your power is getting stronger? Anyway, just tell me what you dreamed about.”

“No, it really was nothing. Might have been just my imagination.”

“Really? Then, if it was nothing, it’ll be fine to tell me about it, right?”

He sighed. He lost against Winwin again. He could probably cut the call, but he could imagine Winwin bothering him by calling him again. Heck, even if he shut down the phone, he could imagine the boy finding him in his apartment, especially since he had his phone number. He could track where he lived just with that.

“Fine. I saw her on a date, but with different guy...”

“Different guy? Who?”

“Well, I don’t know... I couldn’t see his face.”

Jaehyun had enough conscience to know that he shouldn’t say Taeil’s name recklessly, so he decided to lie just a little bit.

“Then did you see any of his other features? Like height, or skin, or hair?”

Jaehyun bit his lips. Taeil had a quite noticeable platinum blonde hair, a detail that would probably made him easy to find, especially with the fact that Kyunghyun visited his café often, according to the man himself. Should he say it or not? If he didn’t say it, Winwin would surely have no way to find out if he didn’t see the dream himself, right?

“They were sitting on grass, so I couldn’t see his height...”

“Oh, was it an outdoor place then?”

Jaehyun sighed in relief, well, internally. “Yeah, kind of like that. I think it looks like Han River.”

“When did you dream about them? Was it just now?”

“Well... yes.”

“Okay.” And then he hung up just like that.

Jaehyun looked at his phone, irritated.

“What an ungrateful guy...”

He decided to just go back to sleep. But he couldn’t do it right away; he still had something bugging his mind.

“He won’t go out and check if it’s true right...?”

 

 

A tall figure of a man stood behind a tree. His eyes were glued at the sight of the two seemingly drunk blonde people by the river. They were lying on the grass while looking at each other. Also, he could see the boy’s hand slowly reaching for the girl’s.

At that sight, he balled his fist together.

“So you’ve found him,” he whispered into the thin air while letting his fist unballing. Then he sighed deeply before finally making his leave, away from the couple.