The second sense

The 7th Sense

Jaehyun was over the scare after a few weeks, and now he started frequenting his favorite café again. After a long time not going to the café, he now realized that there was a new part-time worker there sporting blonde hair who could make latte drinks better than the previous worker. He then got to know the man as Moon Taeil, who apparently went to the same university as him, but he was so close to getting his engineering degree, while Jaehyun barely started his freshman year in international studies.

They got along pretty well, even though they weren’t that close due to them being in different major and Taeil was mostly busy in the café. At least, whenever Jaehyun came to buy some drinks, Taeil would greet him with a smile that one would use when greeting their friends instead of just a mere customer.

Jaehyun thought he was slowly back to the normal routine, no more weird dreams. But once he went to a library, while going through books after books to prepare for his finals, he ended up napping on his opened book, and then the dream started again.

He saw the couple again, but this time, he also saw Taeil there.

Strangely, they were not in the café, as Jaehyun would’ve thought. It was a small room with only a lamp hanging from the ceiling. The boy kept touching the old clock placed on the table, while his other hand was around the girl. The three of them though seemed to be in a friendly term, because he could see from his side profile that Taeil seemed to show little smiles from time to time.

“Hey.”

Hearing the unfamiliar voice, Jaehyun woke up from his dream. And he realized he wasn’t alone.

Once he lifted his head up, he saw a boy sitting in front of him, across his table, without any readable expression on his face, staring down at him. Jaehyun felt something was weird here, because he didn’t know this boy at all, so why would he look at him like that?

“Found you,” the boy said all so sudden. That raised more questions in Jaehyun’s head.

“I’m sorry, but who are you?”

He stayed silent, never letting his gaze off Jaehyun, which made the latter feel slowly uncomfortable.

“Just call me Winwin,” he finally answered.

“Winwin?” That was a weird name. Indeed, perfect for him. “Why are you staring at me like that? Did we meet before?”

“No. And actually I need to ask a favor from you.”

Jaehyun noticed the other’s accent, and he was curious if the guy was not Korean.

“What favor...?” he asked hesitantly.

Winwin then showed him a candid picture of the boy and girl in his dream. He then looked at Winwin, feeling astonished.

“You see this girl?” Winwin pointed at the said person in the picture. “You just need to look over her. Report to me for a few times a day of how she was doing, and if there seems to be something wrong going on, you must tell me immediately.”

Jaehyun didn’t know how to feel. That sounded more like an order instead of asking for a favor.

“Why should I do this?” Jaehyun looked at Winwin, feeling unfairness in this whole ordeal. “I don’t know her, so why should I do this?”

“Because this is a matter of life and death.”

Winwin looked pretty serious about it, but Jaehyun couldn’t be so sure just yet.

“You are the only one who can see how she is doing even when she is somewhere far, far away. Also someone has predicted her death in a near future, so we need to stop it before it really happens.”

Jaehyun suddenly felt lost. Him being the only one who could check on her, even when she is in a far away place? Someone predicted her death?

“What kind of sorcery are you talking about?” Jaehyun voiced his thought out loud.

Winwin looked at the other boy in disbelief. “Don’t you know?”

“Know what?”

“What you’re capable of?”

“Me?” Jaehyun tentatively shook his head, although in his head, he was slowly getting all the loose ends tied up to the others.

“You are a clairvoyant, but you can only utilize your power through your dream. At least for now.”

The said clairvoyant was frozen in his place, like he couldn’t believe what he just heard.

“The details you’ve seen in your dreams were also happening in the real time. And somehow you keep getting your dreams tangled with their reality, so we figured it would be best to get your help to prevent her death.”

Jaehyun started shaking his head in disbelief.

“No, no... that’s impossible...”

“Believe it or not, it’s true.” Winwin tried to reach Jaehyun’s shoulder to assure him, but the other swatted his hand away.

“But... why me?”

Winwin looked worried seeing how Jaehyun was reacting to the information.

“I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out.”

He then brought out a business card, looking pretty much like a company’s business card.

“I see that you’ll need some time to figure out everything... if you need to talk, just call the number there.”

Without anything left to say, Winwin got up from his seat and left Jaehyun, who was still under a shock, although it was starting to fade. He eyed the business card that Winwin left on the table. A publishing company, but he doubted the existence of it. He hesitantly grabbed the card and put it inside his pocket, then closed his book and left the library. He’d had enough to learn for a day.

 

 

It was another day for Taeil, going to his classes and then to work. Once he entered the café, he went straight behind the counter and into the room behind it.

He stopped his track when he entered the room. It was kind of like a living room where the workers took some rest when they were not on shift. Literally no one else was allowed to enter that room besides the manager and the workers.

Then he remembered just yesterday when the couple infiltrated the room when he was about to leave after his shift. He hoped no one found out about it so he wouldn’t get in trouble with the manager.

As soon as he started his shift, he could see a familiar figure entering the café, but strangely, he looked distraught that day.

“Jaehyun-ah,” Taeil started once the said boy reached the counter. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Hyung.” Jaehyun looked over the list of menu on the wall behind the worker. “One iced Americano, please.”

Taeil raised his eyebrows. The boy never ordered anything else other than latte or frappe. He disliked bitter coffee. So why would he suddenly order an Americano today?

“Jaehyun-ah, do you need to talk or something? Are you sure you’re going to order Americano?”

“Yes, yes.” Jaehyun was staring at the boy, seemingly thinking of something. “Yes to both. I have something to ask you, actually.”

The elder boy didn’t look so sure, but he complied. He started making the Americano. While waiting for the coffee roaster, he went to check on Jaehyun, curious on what he was going to ask.

“What is it that you want to ask?”

Jaehyun was playing with his fingers, hesitating to ask the question to the elder, but he asked anyway.

“Hyung, do you know a guy and a girl? They... well, they usually go around together. The girl has a blonde hair and sad, droopy eyes. The guy has a brown hair, and different from the girl, his eyes are huge. Also his teeth— I think he kind of looks like a bunny overall, but anyway, have you ever talked to them?”

Taeil already knew who Jaehyun were talking about from the moment he said ‘a guy and a girl’. But he didn’t expect that the younger would know them as well.

“Yes, I know them. I’ve talked to them too.”

“Then, did you talk to them yesterday outside the café? Around 6 pm or so?”

Taeil widened his eyes in astonishment. That was the time when they walked into the living room behind the counter when they were not supposed to do that. Did Jaehyun know? How did he know? Even if he knew, he wouldn’t say it to his manager, right?

“Uh, actually, not really outside the café, but yes. But promise me you won’t tell the manager about it, okay?”

“Why?” Jaehyun asked, slightly confused.

The elder looked around the café first, making sure no one else other than the two of them were around, before getting closer to whisper.

“Because they entered the room over there,” he pointed at the door with ‘employees only’ sign behind the counter, “when they’re not supposed to.”

Jaehyun was seemingly even more confused. “Why would they?”

“I don’t know, but it was the time when I left the counter empty for a while, so they probably searched for me to order something.”

“Are you friends with them?”

“Well... kind of? Just like you and me. But not as close. But we talk and greet each other when we meet outside the café.”

“You also meet them outside the café?”

The coffee roaster machine beeped as a sign that it had finished roasting the beans. Taeil immediately went to fetch the coffee, leaving Jaehyun on the other side of the counter with a lot more curious questions. His eyes were fixated on the ‘employee only’ door. He glanced at Taeil, who was busy making the Americano for him, so he dared himself to walk behind the counter and opened the door.

To his surprise, the room was indeed the one that appeared in his dream, except the clock on the table wasn’t there.

“Jaehyun-ah!” He felt Taeil’s hands pulling him away from the room by his shoulders. “I might get in trouble if I got another person going there without permission!”

“Sorry, Hyung.” Jaehyun smiled guiltily as he went back to where the customers were supposed to be waiting for their orders.

“Don’t do that again!” Taeil didn’t seem really angry, but more like worried. He handed the glass of cold Americano to the younger.

“Okay, okay. Here.”

After paying the drink, Jaehyun said goodbye to Taeil before leaving the café.

 

 

After he arrived home, he put the iced Americano inside the fridge. Even though he felt like drinking something bitter, he knew he wouldn’t be able to handle the taste.

He then sat on the sofa while thinking of the room and the fact that Taeil was indeed talking to the couple. He even remembered the time that the missing clock showed in his dream. 6:37 pm.

So he really was a clairvoyant...?

He took out the business card that Winwin gave to him the other day. He did say that if he wanted to talk, he could just call. But why a publishing company? He didn’t think someone who knew so much about the power that he had would be working under such company.

Anyway, he tried out his luck. He pressed the number on the business card into his phone before putting it on his ear. He heard the usual ringing tones. It took long enough, but someone finally picked it up.

“This is SM Publishing Company, how may I help you?”

Jaehyun raised an eyebrow. So this is a real publishing company? Why would he give him this number then?

“Uh, someone gave this number to me, and he said if I want to talk...”

“May I ask who gave you this number, Sir?”

He hesitated for a moment. “Well... he said his name is Winwin.”

“And may I know what’s your name, Sir?”

“Um,” he hesitated again, “It’s Jung Jaehyun.”

“Okay, wait a minute, Sir.”

And the call ended. Just like that.

Jaehyun looked at his phone in disbelief. The person on the other line told him to wait, but he hung up?

His frown didn’t last too long however, as his phone started to ring, and he saw the words ‘private number’ on the screen. With much caution, he picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Hello. What is it that you want to talk about?”

It was Winwin’s voice, apparent from his accent.

“I think...” Jaehyun trailed off, not sure how to say it properly.

“Think what?”

“Well... my dreams? They’re real? I think?”

There was an amused chuckle on the other side of the phone. Even Jaehyun wanted to crack a smile, because his statements all sounded like questions, thanks to his hesitance.

“Of course they’re real, because it is your power.”

“Yeah, so, I need some explanations.”

“I see. Do you want to see me face-to-face?”

Jaehyun immediately nodded, even though there was no way Winwin could see it. “Yes, please.”

“Oh, okay. Where do you want to meet up?”

 

 

Jaehyun’s eyes kept searching around the massive amount of crowds gathering around the entrance of the amusement park, obviously in search of someone. Although he could barely believe the fact that he was capable of clairvoyance, but if he could use it now, he would, because certainly it was hard to spot one person among the many crowds gathering in this Sunday afternoon.

“Hey.” Someone patted his shoulder, and to his relief, Winwin found him first.

“There you are,” Jaehyun said with a mix of relief and annoyance. Obviously annoyed that it took them so long to meet up there.

“You could’ve searched for me using your power,” Winwin nonchalantly shrugged, before realizing something. “Oh, right. You have to be asleep first to do that.”

Jaehyun wanted to punch the guy in his face, but he tried to manage his emotion. “Well, who thought of the brilliant idea to meet up in an amusement park?”

“I like amusement park,” Winwin tried to defend his self-made choice. “Besides you said I can choose where we should go anyway.”

Winwin then started looking around the visible rides and attractions, seemingly trying to pick which one they should ride first. “How about the Ferris wheel? We can have a nice chat while going up there.”

Both of them turned to look at the slowly moving Ferris wheel. While Winwin looked at it fondly, Jaehyun internally shivered. He didn’t like the idea of going to high places, that’s for sure.

“Can we go somewhere else? I don’t like going on Ferris wheel.”

“Oh, then should we ride the rollercoaster instead?”

“No!” Jaehyun looked utterly shocked, in which Winwin smiled a little bit teasingly.

“Are you scared?” he began asking the question in a teasing manner as well.

Jaehyun was visibly flustered, but he was quick to dismiss it. “No, I just don’t feel like it.” There was no way he would admit that he was scared in front of a guy he barely knew about.

“Let’s just go.” Winwin turned and started making his way towards the Ferris wheel, leaving the flustered boy behind.

“Hey, where do you think you’re going?”

 

 

The next moment found Jaehyun and Winwin in one of the carts of the Ferris wheel, preparing to go up.

Don’t look outside, Jaehyun tried to calm himself down. Winwin couldn’t stop smiling in amusement.

“Just try to focus on me.”

Jaehyun immediately threw a dirty look at the boy, who was half-excited and half-amused. Although he wanted to grab Winwin’s collar for getting themselves in this cart, he shouldn’t forget the purpose of why they came here.

“Why don’t you start the explanation then?”

Winwin looked at him with fake innocent eyes. “What explanation?”

He was successful at making Jaehyun groan internally.

“You know, about this power stuff. Superpower? Anyway, just explain it.”

At last, for a long moment of seeing Winwin’s amused and excited smile, he sighed like he was slightly frustrated.

“You are a clairvoyant. I already explained it to you, right?”

“I know that. I mean other things beside that. Like why and how did I get this power? And why are you looking for me?”

Winwin was entering his thinking mode, and Jaehyun was starting to be more conscious of how high they were starting to go to.

“Well,”

Jaehyun snapped his head at that, back to the boy sitting in front of him.

“as to why and how you got the power, I don’t know the answers to any of them, obviously. You might be born with it, or you might get experimented. I don’t know.”

“Me? Getting experimented?”

“That’s just one of the possibilities. As to why we are looking for you, I already told you about that too. You are the only connection we can get to find out how Kyunghyun is doing.”

“Kyunghyun?”

“The girl.”

“Oh. And the guy? You don’t care about him at all?”

“We care about both of them. It’s just that she is the one in danger.”

At that time, Winwin realized that they were already at the top of the wheel. He looked outside the window with a happy smile on his face.

“Wow, so beautiful...”

Jaehyun tried not to look outside. He had to get themselves back in the conversation, because so far it was the best way to distract himself from his phobia.

“Winwin, I remember what you said about the girl.”

The said boy looked up.

“You said she will die in the near future, right? How did you know about that?”

Winwin sat back in his seat, his smile already erased from his face, replaced by a serious look.

“Someone saw the future. That someone also has his own power just like you.”

“And who is that someone?”

“You don’t need to know.”

“Don’t tell me it’s you.”

“It’s not me. I have a different power.”

“Oh. You have a different power?” That made Jaehyun curious. “What is your power?”

“What?”

Jaehyun tried to look more nonchalant, because he didn’t want Winwin to think he was interested in him.

“I need to know so that I can be more aware. Besides, you know mine. So tell me about your power.”

Winwin gave it a little more thoughts as to whether or not he’d talk about his power to Jaehyun. In the end, he decided to go for it.

“It also has something to do with dreams.”

“Dreams?”

“Yes. I can look into your dreams. I can also manipulate your dream world.”

“Oh.” No wonder he could identify him as the clairvoyant he was talking about. That wouldn’t really come out of the blue if he hadn’t checked himself what he dreamed about in the library that day. Then something struck Jaehyun’s mind, a question that he became curious about but somehow thinking about it gave him a little goosebumps.

“Then... if I dream of something that is happening in the present, will you be able to change it as well? Does that mean you’re changing the present?”

For once, Winwin seemed to be in a little shock, gaining a small satisfied smile from Jaehyun.

“That— I never tried it before, because I never found someone like you to try it out.”

“Do you want to try it?” Jaehyun asked with the most daring tone he could muster.

“I’d rather not.”

Winwin’s quick answer made Jaehyun disappointed. “Why?”

“It can be dangerous. If you change something in the present, the future can change as well, right?”

There. Jaehyun lost against Winwin again. He knew it sounded dangerous, especially since someone’s life is on the line, but he thought maybe it could change whatever would happen to the girl in the future.

“The safest thing we can do right now is if you cooperate with us and report about her well-being every time you dream of her.”

“Us,” Jaehyun repeated with a slightly confused gaze. “You keep saying ‘us’. Just what kind of people are you guys?”

“I told you, just like you. Kyunghyun is a dear friend of us, that’s why we want to protect her. But her situation right now doesn’t allow us to do it, and someone among my friends is desperate.”

The cart seemed to be going for one more round as it was starting to go up again. Jaehyun could feel the movement, and Winwin’s suddenly sharp stare didn’t help to manage his calm at all.

“To be honest, that friend of mine, the one who can see the future, saw a glimpse of you when he saw her death in his vision.”

The boy in question widened his eyes, and gripped onto his seat nervously.

“And now that we know you are the only one who can help us in the safest way possible, we really need your help.”

The cart reached on top of the wheel again, and now preparing to go down.

“So please, will you help us out? Of course we won’t take your help for granted. We can give you anything in return.”

“Anything?”

“Yeah. We are quite loaded.”

“You mean your publishing company? Is it even a real publishing company?”

Winwin only smiled at that, and then looked outside to see the scenery again.

“You should try looking outside. It’s not that bad.”

No, thank you, was what Jaehyun managed to say in his mind only, but he was too busy overcoming the slow rush of going down to the ground. It wouldn’t last too long, it would be over soon.

After what seemed like a long time, the cart finally stopped moving. Jaehyun immediately let out a great sigh of relief.

“It’s over. Let’s go.”

“Wait! Let me calm down first.”

“Oh. Well, I’ll go first then. I’ll contact you first.”

“Hey!” As much as Jaehyun wanted to chase Winwin and topple over him, he didn’t want to do it at the same time. Enough torture for the day, because who knows if he was going to take him to another scary ride.

Then he realized what Winwin said just now before leaving the cart, and at the same time, understood that the boy with some strange accent wouldn’t take no for an answer.