Stress

Fortune

A worried Baek paced the lobby, waiting for news of his boss. Soon, Joonmyun's father walked in through the hospital doors, but the young man didn't notice. He was too caught up in his thoughts.

"Byun Baekhyun!"

He turned around to see Mr. Kim. "Sir!" He suddenly stopped pacing to bow. "I see you've got the news. I'm sorry, sir, I don't know how it happened-"

"Baekhyun," Mr. Kim put an arm on his shoulder. "Thank you for helping my son."

"Ah- of course, sir." Baekhyun nodded nervously. 

"You're free to go now."

"Eh?"

"You can leave now. You have no reason to stay here."

Baekhyun stared at the man blankly. He wasn't waiting for Mr. Kim during that time. He was waiting for confirmation that Joonmyun would leave fine. They were never super close, but they knew each other since childhood, and Baekhyun has always felt affection towards him, even after Joonmyun became his boss. He didn't want to leave, but Mr. Kim insisted. So he did as he was told, feeling powerless.

His job wasn't one that required too much concentration, but he couldn't focus on it as he was thinking too much of the earlier events. The gardener spotted Baek and walked over to him.

"Hey, what's going on today? Our boss is gone, I heard all the ruckus this morning... did someone go to the hospital?"

Baek sighed. "What do you mean, Kyungsoo, have you not heard?"

The gardener scoffed. "Well, no one has."

Baek paused what he was doing. "You mean nobody was notified? Sajangnim (boss) is in the hospital. He nearly drowned in the pool." Sighing from the flashback, he continued. "I'm so glad I found him in time, I just wish I knew what his condition is..."

Kyungsoo's mouth dropped open. "He almost drowned? Tsk, I could only think of one person who would do that..."

Initially confused, Baekhyun quickly shook his head, surprised that Kyungsoo would accuse him. "No, not at all! I hadn't even known it was him until after he regained conciousness!" The young man shook his head and rubbed his eyes. "I'm so worried..."

"Yah."

Baek looked up at the gardener.

"You're just a pool cleaner. You may have known him since you were a kid, but that doesn't mean anything to him. In the end, you're just a slave, like the rest of us. He might thank you for saving him, but your life won't get any better. It's no use, stop worrying so much. He'll be fine, anyways, the best doctors are on his side and he's got money."

Baekhyun shook his head. "Sajangnim and I may not be friends, but I still respect him. I'm not going to shrug off such a traumatic event just because I may not gain anything, that's not me. I just want him to be okay."

Kyungsoo sighed. Baekhyun just seemed to good hearted, but he liked that about him. A naiive pool cleaner who grew too close to the family he's known too long. "You'll know his condition sooner or later, Baekhyun, so don't worry too much. Just finish your work and get some rest."

They bowed and Kyungsoo walked away.


Baekhyun walked to the yard and sat at a shaded table, as he did everyday. He took his small lunch out of the box: rice, beef, pickled carrots, bok choy, some kimchi, and apple slices. Instead of water, this time, he drank some iced green tea to treat himself. It was the most he could do to reduce his stress.

A chef by the name of Yixing came towards him, followed by the two cooks Chanyeol and Jongdae. Yixing was from China, but had studied in France and Italy. He planned the menus for every event planned in the Kim Estate. The two behind him were sutdents, but also nothing more than two figures underappreciated in the midst of the other servants in that estate. However, why Chef Yixing was coming towards Baek of all people was a mystery to him.

"Chef," Baek greeted him with a bow. Young yet successful, that was what Baek envied about Yixing.

The chef humbly bowed back at the young man, and his two students quietly did the same. "I heard about what happened today."

"Ah, yeah..." Baek quickly became uncomfortable. Since the incident, he had retold the story to many curious workers and was growing tired of doing so. He was already stressed.

For some strange reason, Yixing looked at the pool cleaner with a wide smile. "Is there anything special you would like to eat? We'll make sure it's created with the best quality ingredients to ensure it exceeds your expectations."

Baek stared at the man in disbelief. "W-what?"

Yixing looked at the two cooks behind him. Jongdae spoke up, "To celebrate, sir."

"Wait a minute," Baekhyun's face became a dark red in anger. "Don't you dare 'sir' me! How dare you three come here telling me to celebrate what happened! Are you all not ashamed?!" He covered his face, supressing a scream.

"Sir," started Chanyeol.

"I don't wanna hear it!"

"But sir, have you not heard? We thought Kyungsoo told you. Sajangnim ordered that we serve you today. Also, you can invite anyone over tonight. He's saying thank you."

Baekhyun hadn't heard it right away, but slowly his anger went away as he looked at the three astonished. "Wait, what?"

Suddenly, he heard someone behind him say his name. It was Kyungsoo. He turned to see him running towards him. "Ah, there you are." The gardener greeted Baek with a smile. "I was wrong about our boss. He wants you to have the best night of your life... are you okay?"

Baek rubbed his eyes then laughed. "Really?"

"Yeah..."

He turned to the chefs, who just nodded, still taken aback by his previous behavior.

The pool cleaner laughed. "He's okay?" He looked up at the sky. "I'm so glad he's okay."