Only a Pool Cleaner...

Fortune

"I don't have many friends, and I have no family."

Joonmyun's party planner, Kibum, looked Baek in the eye. "Are you serious? You don't know anyone?"

"I'm fine with a small gathering. I'm even fine if it were just me and sajangnim, I'm still not really in a celebrating mood."

"No, he's not coming tonight Baekhyun," Kibum informed. "He's staying at the hospital overnight, just for good measure. He's allowing you to throw a party, but he won't be attending."

"Oh..." Baek stood up and paced for a while. "I... I don't want to party though."

Kibum sighed. "Can you not waste my time?"

"I'm... I guess I'm fine with just having dinner with everyone else here. That'd be fine with me. Actually, we can all eat outside and have a fine dinner and enjoy the stars, ya know?"

"Hmm.... I don't know if I can allow everyone else to celebrate though. I was only told by Mr. Kim that you can."

"Everyone's been working so hard, I don't see why it's a problem. You can eat with us too."

Kibum nodded. "Okay, I see. I'll make sure everything goes well. In the mean time, just go finish your work and your party will be prepared perfectly."

 


 

Baekhyun didn't have much to do for the rest of the day, since the pools and hot tubs were already cleaned. He decided to inform everyone that they were invited to dinner later. He could hear some people groan, though, at the invite.

"Hello, I'm informing you that you are invited to dinner later tonight," he would say.

"Oh, really? Whose party is it?"

"Mine, actually. Sajangnim said I could throw a party, and I decided to invite you all to a dinner and we could enjoy the stars as well."

After he'd walk away, he would hear such remarks as, "What's so special about eating with you?" "Party with a pool cleaner? I probably won't come."

His heart sank. He wished he could have more friends, but it was hard having friends in such a place. He was basically at the bottom of the social system at the Kim estate, and no one wanted to be associated with that.

"Huh, I don't want them to prepare so much food..." He worried it would all go to waste. "No one is going to attend anyways."

He was walking back to the dorm to wash up before the dinner when the butler, Siwon, stopped him.

"Sir, Mr. Byun."

"Mr. Choi," he greeted him.

"Your items have been moved, sir."

"Eh?" Baekhyun was taken aback. "W-Why?"

"You haven't been told?"

"Well, to be honest, a lot of gossip and news actually doesn't get to me very quickly,"

"Well, you've been moved into the mansion, sir."

"Eh?"

Siwon, initially acting proffessional, loosened a bit. "Of course, it might not be for long, but for the time being, Joonmyun is allowing you to sleep in a guest room in the mansion."

Baek nodded. "Thank you for letting me know..."

"I'll show you where it is."

 


 

Siwon led the young pool cleaner through various halls. Baek had been inside a few times before, but for the most part, he had no reason to since he slept in a separate building and his work was always outside. So as Siwon led him to his new room, he was very astonished by all the polished furniture, shining mirrors and decoration, all the beauty the mansion possesed.

But as they got further, he could see the darkness approaching due to lack of lighting in the coming halls, and he started to cough because of dust.

"Where are we going..."

"To your room, sir. Here it is."

Siwon opened the door, as if he were leading him into a grand place. "It used to be the storage for cleaning supplies and extra furniture and stuff."

The place was a mess. It wasn't as grand as the other parts of the house he had seen. Even the bed from his dorm was there. He thought we would have had a new, comfortable bed, but it was the old one he had for years."

"Sajangnim wants me to sleep here?"

"Yes," Siwon smirked. "You are just a pool cleaner, after all."

Baek sighed. He was disappointed to think he was going to get something special, and felt foolish for it.

"It's fine, of course. It's kind that he's allowing me to sleep here at all, even if it's temporary. Thank you sir, I would like to take a quick shower. is there a bathroom nearby?

"There's one in the bedroom, sir."

"Okay, thank you. Excuse me." They bowed and Baekhyun entered the room and closed the door.

He did a bit of cleaning so that it wasn't so dusty and opened the windows before taking a shower. Afterwards, he dried his hair and immediately left for dinner. He was surprised that he didn't get lost walking through all those halls.

 


 

Baekhyun sat quietly at the table he sat at earlier, a distance away from where he would eat dinner. He looked at all the maids and chefs prepare the table and set the food neatly at the middle, and Kibum checking if the plates and silverware were set correctly, the least he could since this wasn't much of a party.

It's no use anyways, if I'll be eating alone.

The stress of the event that morning, and the blunt remarks people made behind his back, it all caused him to lose his appetite. He should have just insisted that it was okay that he didn't need a party. He just wanted a glass of water and to sleep.

As he thought this, the chef walked over to him saying, "Dinner will be ready soon. You're welcome to sit at the table while we gather everyone else."

"I already invited everyone," Baek sighed. "But I don't think they're coming..."

Yixing pursed his lips. "I know that you have a hard time here, but you're not worthless ya know."

"Thanks, but it's okay."

"No, I'm serious," Yixing looked at Baekhyun sincerely. "I know that people talk about you for your status, but none of that matters. I never thought I would be studying culinary arts in Europe when I was younger, but I did. Even if you have a tough time now, you will certainly go far later. Trust me, your kind always do."

"What do you mean by that?"

Yixing chuckled. "Someone kind hearted and hard working at whatever they do, like you."

"Well, either way, all this food will go to waste."

"No, it won't, let's go eat now."

Yixing smiled, and Baekhyun smiled back. They walked over to notice that there, in fact, were people coming to join them, despite their remarks earlier.