two

Miss Workaholic vs Mr Playboy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tonight. Tonight, was the night that Seolhee was going to meet her fiancé. Would he be handsome? Smart? Quiet? Or would he be mean and serious? She nervously bit her bottom lip as she carefully glanced at herself in the mirror. A knee-length, burgundy dress accompanied along with a pair of heels made up her formal attire. Her shoulders were bare while her hair was in a long braid. Her feet were already starting to hurt and she hasn’t even left the room yet. The balcony glass door creaked slowly as the wind made its presence into the room. She shivered and moved to close the door. Eyeing her messy bed, which had pillows and blankets sprawled everywhere, she grabbed her clutch and muttered under her breath. “The sooner I get this over with, the sooner I can return to my bed.”

The car ride to the restaurant was quiet. Seolhee made no effort to make small talk with her parents as she turned her head to the window. Her parents had agreed with the engagement and were more than happy for her. She didn’t like how her parents were like puppets for her grandfather. Whatever he wanted, they obeyed. Seolhee knew she was thinking too much about this but she just didn’t understand why the marriage even have to happen anyways. Her older brother should be the one getting married.

“Sweetie,” her mother’s soft voice interrupted her thoughts. Seolhee didn’t move an inch but instead stayed watching the scenery of Seoul as the car drove passed. Her mother pursed her lips and tried again. “Seolhee, do not ignore me.”

“What?” her voice came out harsh and cold. She honestly didn’t feel in the mood for talking. Her father at the front driving, eyed her in the mirror. “Don’t talk to your mother like that.”

Seolhee turned her face to her mother and forced out a stable tone. “Yes, mother?”

Her mother could see that she was still upset and she hesitated with her next words with her  eyes watching her daughter carefully. “I’m sorry. I know you don’t want-“

Just hearing the word sorry, anger immediately filled Seolhee, making her retaliate. “Then why? Why would you and father agree with this?”

Her father stayed quiet while the two women bickered. He knew she was angry about the situation so he understood why she was behaving like this. “This is the best for you and your future. Grandpa had decided on this before you were even born.”

She narrowed her eyes from her father to her mother. “Mother, I am 20.”

Her father replied for her mother. “You’re 20. You’re an adult now, not a kid. I expected better from you.”

Seolhee was sick of this. She really was. “What else do you want from me? I have complied with everything you ever wanted. I graduated as a top student and I’m in college now. I’m choosing to do business for you. What more do you want? Do you really have to go this far and ruin my life even more?” Her words struck a chord in her mother. “Young lady!” Tears filled her mother’s eyes as Seolhee huffed. She knew she shouldn’t have said anything. She should have just kept quiet. “Mum-“

“We have done everything for you! We gave you everything you ever wanted! All we wanted was for you to be happy. Me and your father know. We both know that you do not want this but we cannot change what Grandpa has decided. You know that too. Grandpa has pointed out that this will benefit you and the partnership between us and the Jeons. All we want is the best for you.”

Seolhee slumped down in her seat. There was no point in arguing back. The company always came before her. It always has and always will.

 

 “...be polite at all times,” his father ended the long lecture. The long lecture which Jungkook paid no attention to as he scanned the restaurant with his dark eyes. There weren’t as many people here. A few couples here and there. The atmosphere was tense as he leaned back into his chair.

“Son, did you listen-“

“I think we came too early,” Jungkook stated calmly as he avoided his parent’s eyes.

“That’s a good thing. Being early is better than being late,” his mother replied as she glanced at her watch.

His father added, “Now, remember to shake their hands when the dinner is over and also-“

Jungook rolled his eyes. “Dad. Stop.”

His father stopped talking and raised one eyebrow, pursing his lips into a thin line. Silence covered the family.

“There’s no point in telling me this when I already know it all.” Jungkook eyed his father. The two men had a stare off. His mother placed both her hands on their shoulders to remove the awkwardness. Jungkook was never as close to his father like he was to his mother. His father set his hand down on the table and took a sip of his glass before speaking. “I’ll say this once and once only.”

Jungkook gulped at the tone of his father’s voice but remained silent.

“No matter what happens, you will get married to this girl. Don’t even think of trying to do anything to her. If I find out you purposely planned something to break off this engagement, I won’t forgive you.” Jungkook clenched his jaw. Of course, he would know that he’ll try something. “And if I do? What will happen?” he replied in a cold tone.

His father narrowed his eyes. “Do you really want to know?”

Jungkook removed his eyes off his and rose up from his chair. “I need to go to the bathroom.”

Mrs Jeon raised one eyebrow. “They’ll be here any-“

He walked off, not hearing the rest.

 

“Good afternoon, sir. Do you have a reservation?” the receptionist asked with a bright smile.

Seolhee’s father smiled back. “Yes. Under the name Jeon Junghan.” As they entered the dining area, she could already see a couple that was smiling directly at her. When they reached the table, her father shook hands with the man who she presumed was Mr Jeon. “Minhyuk! Nice to see you again! It’s been too long since we last caught up,” Mr Jeon smiled brightly at him. Her father greeted him back and her mother was introduced to Mrs Jeon. There was no other person there so Seolhee assumed that he didn’t turn up. Wanting to escape the weird looks of the Jeons, she excused herself to the restroom. “I’ll be right back,” she muttered to the two older men.

Her father gives her a small nod of approval and she headed towards the direction of the ladies’ room. When she reached the brightly lit corridor, her clutch started to vibrate. Her hand stretched into it, in search for her phone. She furrowed her eyebr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter