Life and Death

Random Oneshots

 

“Life and Death have been in love for longer than we have words to describe.

Life sends countless gifts to Death, and Death keeps them forever.”

 

 

Life and Death

 

    Life slid through the crowd, shyly brushing his wavy golden locks behind his ear. For a small, frail boy, he had the biggest, hardest job out of all the beings in the room. He also had the biggest, darkest secret. Only his sister Ocean knew of it. Life jogged up the stairs, pulling the hood of his silky multi-colored cloak over his head. At the top of the stairs stood a door, seemingly hanging in midair. Life pushed the door open, his heart beating faster. He knew where the door led. It went to Earth, Life’s domain, and a special place on Earth at that.

 

    Life stood, knee-deep in grasses blowing gently in the wind. Ahead of him stood a large rock, and on top of that, a boy. As Life approached, he could see the boy more clearly. His black cloak reached to the heels of his boots, and the hood draped carefully over the middle of his head. The boy turned, and Life could see his face. He was handsome,with pale skin, dark eyes, a perfect nose and perfect lips. At the sight of Life, the boy smiled. He reached out and took Life’s small hand in his own. Holding Life close, the slightly-taller boy placed a chaste kiss on Life’s lips.

 

    You see, Life had loved Death for much longer than anyone could know. Although at first, Life disliked Death (he didn’t appreciate Death stealing his creations), after confronting him, the golden boy had fallen hopelessly in love with his greatest rival. He wasn’t supposed to love Death, but he constantly sent Death gifts, and Death kept them forever.

 

    Now, the pair seemed young, only in their teens. But they had been around since the beginning of the world, giving life and taking it. Death sired several of Life’s creations, and their love created more. Anyone could try to untangle the ties that held them together. But they need each other. Death cannot exist without Life, and Life cannot exist without Death. Without one, the other was hopelessly lost. As one token Death gave to Life said: 

    “Loved you yesterday, love you still. Always have and always will.”