Her Last Nightmare

She Knew

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t give a on how many times you want to hit me, or tear my flesh apart but you-”

 

 

She laced her hand with Seulgi’s firmly, tears welling. 

 

 

“Don’t you ever, ever touch her again.” 

 

 

 

***

 

 

and brushing Irene’s hair as she laid on her side, one arm under her own head, Seulgi was indulged in watching the peaceful face of her love once the sun rose. 

 

 

 

Irene’s fever had subsided after some medication, even the wounds looked much better after careful nursing but there wasn’t a moment when Seulgi let herself fall asleep deeper, as if afraid something might go wrong once she allows herself to relax.

 

 

 

Watching how Irene stirred lightly at her caress, she leaned in closer, pressing her lips on the forehead, waiting for her puppy to awake so they can start their morning together. 

 

 

 

Hand resting on the face, thumb drawing tiny circles on the cheek, Seulgi’s motions came to a pause upon the vibration on the nightstand. Reaching out for her phone, an unknown number surfaced on the screen. 

 

 

 

The call ended before she could pick up but her phone vibrated almost immediately again. 

 

 

 

Quickly kissing Irene on the nose, she left for the outside. 

 

 

 

“He-”

 

 

 

“Meet me at the coffeeshop down Joohyun’s house now.” 

 

 

 

Whatever peace she originally felt was washed away by indistinguishable emotions at that very instant upon the voice. 

 

 

 

Her heart sank even further when a pair of skinny arms s around her waist, another warmth pressed up against her back and a kiss landed on her shoulder before the face buried into the crook of her neck. 

 

 

 

“Why did you leave me alone in bed..?”

 

 

 

An angry breath heaved from the other side of the phone. 

 

 

 

“You disgusting pe-”

 

 

 

Seulgi hung up the call, putting the phone down on the table in front of her, ignoring the incoming messages before lacing her fingers with those resting against her stomach. 

 

 

 

“Good morning.”

 

 

 

Turning around, her crazy heartbeat decelerated with the same peace upon seeing Irene rubbing her eyes, adapting to the sunlight. Gently and carefully, she took the petite girl fully into the depth of her embrace. 

 

 

 

It would be a lie to say that she wasn’t disturbed by the unfinished comment but she only wanted to focus on Irene at that moment before her serenity would be once again disrupted.

 

 

 

“Good morning, baby.” 

 

 

 

Irene tightened the hug when Seulgi greeted her again, peppering kisses on the crown of her head, not saying anything but let herself drowned in her bliss. 

 

 

 

“I wanted to make us some breakfast but there isn’t much ingredients left so let me go get some groceries and food for ourselves, okay?”

 

 

 

“First you left me alone in bed, now you want to leave me again?”

 

 

 

A tiny smile broke across Seulgi’s face as she imagined Irene’s adorable pout. Just like she thought, Irene’s pouty lips were prominent when she backed away lightly to look Irene in the eyes. 

 

 

 

Cupping the face, Seulgi kissed the pout away, feeling much anxiety arising within her again, knowing she wasn’t just leaving to get food. 

 

 

 

“I love you.” 

 

 

 

The pout dropped, Irene’s mouth ajar, though soon enough, she recovered from the pleasant surprise. 

 

 

 

“Why- Why so sudden..?” 

 

 

 

Tucking the falling fringe behind Irene’s ear, Seulgi just shrugged. 

 

 

 

“Just thought you should know.” 

 

 

 

Looking at the time, the younger one swallowed hard and led Irene back to the room. 

 

 

 

“You barely recovered so why are you even out of bed?” 

 

 

 

She tucked Irene in bed, making the latter lay on her front again.

 

 

 

“Get more rest, I will be back soon okay?”

 

 

 

Irene’s smile was like her stabiliser, giving her the courage to face the unknown waiting for her. Her body turned but fingers still tightly laced with Irene. 

 

 

 

“Seul,” She looked over her shoulder. “I love you too, a lot, you know?” 

 

 

 

Seulgi mirrored the smile, nodding her head firmly. 

 

 

 

“Wait for me.” 

 

 

 

With that, Seulgi left for the coffeehouse. She felt like a zombie walking along the streets because her mind was in a mess, her body just heading towards where she was supposed to go without much control. 

 

 

 

The usual coffeehouse that she patrons suddenly became a dreadful place, the scent of freshly grind coffee beans awoke her senses as she scanned the area for the person who she had to meet. 

 

 

 

Seulgi expected herself to be petrified at the situation that she was in, but she was feeling more anger and hatred than fear itself as she sat down, opposite to the man who she would like to think of as a monster; one who bear hard hands on his own daughter. 

 

 

 

The day was bound to come, except that she wasn’t aware that it would have been three days after Irene returned home, sporting injuries that were results of abuse. Every time she checked on the wounds, it felt like she was mocked at. 

 

 

 

It was as if they were reminders that she failed to protect Irene, that she pushed Irene to suffer, all because of a moment of folly. 

 

 

 

The greatest contributor to their unhappiness was sitting right there before her and despite of the fury in her, she was paralysed. 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe she is stupid enough to let somebody three years younger mess with her mind for so long. To think she graduated with first class honours but only to be confused and fooled by you.”

 

 

 

The first exchange of words was an accusation stabbed into Seulgi’s heart. She narrowed her eyes at Mr Bae’s description of his own flesh.  

 

 

 

“Haven’t you had enough fun of Joohyun?”

 

 

 

“Our relationship isn’t a game, Mr Bae.” 

 

 

 

He scoffed. “Singing the same tune, giving the same answers. Did you brainwash her?”

 

 

 

How was it possible that both parents of Irene said the same thing to Seulgi, but only to sound so different? Mrs Bae was truly amazed by their chemistry while Mr Bae was just being sarcastic. 

 

 

 

“You need to stop this nonsense, the both of you.”

 

 

 

Seulgi watched as the aged man grew angrier at each second that passed without her speaking up, somehow enjoying agitating him with her silent treatment. She couldn’t help but let a soft laugh escaped when he cursed at her. 

 

 

 

“What kind of demon are you exactly?” 

 

 

 

“Not one that would be cruel enough to lay heavy hands on people I love.”

 

 

 

He called her out to reprimand her, but it backfired.

 

 

 

“You control her, you disrespect her, you left those prints on her that made her sick, possibly scarred for life.”

 

 

 

She retaliated, matching his level of agitation as she thought of every difficult times they were put through, every drop of blood oozing from Irene’s wounds that turned the water chalky red. 

 

 

 

“You hurt her. You did everything that I will never because I love her and you don’t!”

 

 

 

It happened so fast that it was only when she heard soft gasps from the worker behind the counter, then she started to feel the pain spreading across her cheek.

 

 

 

“You deserve more than just a slap, Kang Seulgi. You are disgusting.”

 

 

 

If murder wasn’t a crime, Mr Bae would have slaughter Seulgi right then and there with the kind of flame burning within him. 

 

 

 

“I am utterly in love with Irene, and you can’t stop me.”

 

 

 

Seulgi wasn’t backing down, not at all; not when more images of Irene being in pain flashed into her mind. When another slap came at her, she didn’t dodge, for she was trying to prove her words.

 

 

 

“In love my ! It’s all bull! What exactly do you want from her? To see her in pain? To toy with her feelings? To have her business, have her assets?” 

 

 

 

“I just want her.”

 

 

 

Her words reminded Mr Bae of those love bites he spotted on Irene’s neck during their confrontation back at their house and he reached out to grab Seulgi’s collars.

 

 

 

“You piece of !” He hissed. “You ruined my child, you took her ity, her dignity!” 

 

 

 

I didn’t ruin her! I trusted my first with her too! I love her and I’m serious about her!” 

 

 

 

She was slammed back into the chair right after her declaration.

 

 

 

“You better lower your volume and not let the world know about this dirty relationship!” 

 

 

 

With his finger pointing at Seulgi’s face, he gritted his teeth.

 

 

 

“This is just a phrase for Joohyun and she can’t see it yet so you need to leave her, you hear me?”

 

 

 

“Why can’t you just accept Irene for who she is, for who she loves? Why can’t you see that I’m truly in love with her and I want a future with her? Why can’t you let me love her?”   

 

 

 

Seulgi was shocked at herself for how desperate she sounded, almost begging for answers. 

 

 

 

“You can be a disgrace to your family but my daughter will not be.”

 

 

 

She regretted instantly for having the slightest hope that maybe, her sincerity would be able to move the man, or at least make him stop pursuing the matter for the time being. Mrs Bae was the only possible blessing from the Bae residence. 

 

 

 

“Joohyun will marry Ilhoon and my words are final. Disappear from Joohyun’s life, that would do her good.”

 

 

 

“You can’t force her to do things she doesn’t want to. Don’t flatter yourself by thinking she would do as you say because there is no way she would marry him.” 

 

 

 

“She will.” He threatened. “Or I will disown her.” 

 

 

 

Seulgi felt her heart ached at Mr Bae’s claim, on behalf of Irene. She couldn’t understand how can such a father exist but she knew, he wasn’t the only one in this world. 

 

 

 

“How do you sleep at night, knowing that you are making Irene do things against her will for the protection of your shame with the exchange of her happiness?”

 

 

 

Mr Bae’s face twitched, as if Seulgi exposed his true intentions. 

 

 

 

“I bet you sleep just fine, don’t you? Because you never cared. No matter what you do, I will never give her up. I will never ever give up and I’m sure she wouldn’t give up on me too.”

 

 

 

Her voice was soft, almost masked over by the worker’s greeting to a new arrival into the shop.

 

 

 

“So go ahead and plan the wedding, let Irene marry Ilhoon.” 

 

 

 

“You-”

 

 

 

“Seulgi..?”

 

 

 

A cracked voice interrupted before Mr Bae could lash at her again.

 

 

 

“Ba-Baby?” Seulgi’s throat went dry. “Why are you here?”

 

 

 

Irene hesitated for a second, as if taking in the entire scenario happening before she raised her hand, the one holding onto Seulgi’s phone. The youngest figured Irene chanced upon her text messages, the ones that Mr Bae sent to summon her for a confrontation. 

 

 

 

“What happened to groceries? It became a wedding planning for me? Without me knowing?” 

 

 

 

“Joohyun, now you see what I meant by how she is fooling you?” 

 

 

 

Seulgi’s eyes widened at how Mr Bae manipulated the situation to gravitate towards him so he can have the upper hand, head shaking in denial at his shameless words as she made a move to Irene, only to be held back by the wrist and pushed away.

 

 

 

Every last bit of respect she had for the man was gone when he stood between her and Irene, hand constantly pushing at her shoulder whenever she inched forward.

 

 

 

“Don’t touch her!”

 

 

 

Despite the confusion in her eyes, Irene still stood out to protect Seulgi, pulling Seulgi to her side. 

 

 

 

“He hit you?”

 

 

 

She eyed the reddened cheek, then glared at her father before Seulgi could respond.

 

 

 

“I don’t give a on how many times you want to hit me, or tear my flesh apart but you-”

 

 

 

She laced her hand with Seulgi’s firmly, tears welling. 

 

 

 

“Don’t you ever, ever touch her again.” 

 

 

 

Without letting her father have anymore chances to insult them further, she turned to leave in a flash, dragging Seulgi who obediently followed.

 

 

 

The more they walked, the weaker she got. 

 

 

 

She gave cold shoulder to the younger one when she was told to slow down for her own sake, ignoring every word until they got home.

 

 

 

Seulgi couldn’t withstand the chagrin eyes burning invisible holes through her any longer. Like a child who got caught being naughty, she took tiny steps towards Irene, inching closer till she held the girl in for a hug. 

 

 

 

Nobody spoke for awhile until a sob resounded through the apartment. 

 

 

 

“Were you going to give me away..?”  

 

 

 

“What-” Seulgi quickly cupped the face and looked into the eyes. “No I wasn’t!”

 

 

 

“Seulgi, everything hurts. Every whip hurts so badly..”

 

 

 

Worriedly wanting to check on the wounded back, Seulgi only found herself being held onto tighter than before. 

 

 

 

“I’m so uncomfortable, I can’t sleep properly at night without stretching my wounds. I can’t sit straight without having my waist to ache, I can’t lay on my front without my chest feeling like it’s suffocating.”

 

 

 

She sobbed as she complained for the first time. 

 

 

 

“Everything is so, so painful, Seul, everything.”

 

 

 

Her voice may be soft but each word was like knife stabbing deep into Seulgi’s heart. She could feel her own tears falling as she pressed their bodies closer. 

 

 

 

“But I endured for you, Kang Seulgi.”

 

 

 

“I’m so sorry, I’m so useless.”

 

 

 

“For you, I can and I will go through all these again.”

 

 

 

“No baby, no..” 

 

 

 

Seulgi’s mouth hovered over Irene’s as she whispered apologetic words, fingers caressing the tears away. Irene didn't want to hear anymore, just desperately reaching out for Seulgi’s lower lip; 

 

 

 

Biting, , , tasting. 

 

 

 

She darted her pink muscle in a hurry, colliding with the other, savouring as if it was the last chance to taste. Oxygen didn't seem essential until her chest finally tightened at the lack of air, then they reluctantly parted, foreheads attached.

 

 

 

“You made a promise to stay with me, Seulgi."

 

 

 

The younger one nodded quick.

 

 

 

"Don't ever break it, because you will break me." 

 

 

 

"Never, I will never. I promise with my life."

 

 

 

In the midst of all complication, Irene was worn out. 

 

 

 

But she knew with that one sincere promise, they have nothing they can't conquer as a pair of two individuals sharing one idea of a future together.

 

 

***

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

To every boon (Mrs Bae) there will be a bane (Mr Bae).

But at least now we know how firm Seulgi is in fighting for Irene. 💖💛

We are in the final stages of She Knew; yes, it’s ending.. 2 more chapters to the end. 💔

I have been thinking of writing part two of She Knew, but I’m not too sure if I will go on with the plan because this story is based on reality, what real LGBT couples are likely to face in the real world.

So I don’t want to write anything that is anything lesser than the real. I'll think it through for She Knew 2.. :) 

Anyway, SeulRene’s LieV app last night totally got me..!! 😍😍😍

There’s so many scenes that are so fanfic material so… Look forward to certain scenes in my other upcoming stories. :) 

The next chapter has somehow became one of my top 3 favourite chapters..

It's quite a steamy, yet full of emotion chapter. I hope you are as excited to read as I am excited to update. ☺️

So till the next update, do leave me a comment

Thank you to everyone’s support. 💘

 

PS: Is there anyone who would like to help me with poster edit for this fic? 😊