Full of Honesty

To: Our Dear Tae,
 
 

Jaehyun waited by himself in front of the school gate. Yugyeom was in rush of leaving early, say, he promised someone a date and Jaehyun didn’t bother to guess which girl was now involved with his active best friend. He checked on his phone, re-reading the text when Suzy said she’d be there in five minutes. However, he was stupefied to find who was by his side, expecting the older at the same time as well.

“So, you’re the one entitled to meet Jungkook today…” Taeyong eyed the first-year student from head to toe. “Do you know what’s wrong with him?”

Jaehyun swallowed a big lump within his throat, before he answered and— inside— possibly questioned why did Taeyong didn’t attend the seniors’ extra courses.

“Um… No.” He was uncertain to throw him, like, a real question. “Do you know why he got hospitalized… Uh…sunbae-nim?”

Jaehyun has regretted the moment he inquired the older that and he squeezed the backpack straps even more.

Taeyong did get back at him with such annoyed expression. “You’ll see.”

He attempted to read the flat countenance by the older but shorter guy. On the other hand, the final-year student let out a sigh and crossed his arms, hoping for Suzy’s arrival.

Thankfully, she appeared when already the silent treatment by Taeyong had almost made Jaehyun sunk on the spot.

“Hi! Sorry I’m late…” Suzy clasped her palms, in which Jaehyun replied with faultless smile. At what time she glanced to the other and asked him what everyone probably should. “Why’re you here?”

The fine-looking younger tilted his head as he acted in response. “I’m not completely recovered from my anemic state… You know, right?”

Suzy frowned. “Why don’t you go home and take some rest—”

Not even she finished the sentence, he already dragged her to go where she parked the car. “Let’s go.”

Jaehyun simply trailed those two without saying a word.

“I call shotgun!”

Taeyong called out when they reached the vehicle. Where Suzy caught sight of Jaehyun who curved his lips edge as a simper.

For the reason she spoke. “Jaehyun hates sitting in the front, anyway.”

 

“How’s my boy doing today?”

Jungkook nearly dropped a spoonful of chocolate pudding for his afternoon snack when Taehyung’s best friend came into the room, blatantly saying that. Taeyong had been one of the kindest beings in utmost he knew him— all-smiley and friendly when approaching— up till the point, it caused Jungkook feels weird since he was unlike what he supposed to be. However, the appearance of Jaehyun entering the hospital room in arrears Suzy, was something he needed to be sure about the purpose.

“I say we let Jungkook be alone with Jaehyun—”

“Can’t you let me chill first and get to know how’s he—”

Suzy and Taeyong were involved in such argument, which concluded her persuading the younger with a bribe to leave the place.

The younger could sense her cunning intention. “Don’t you use the sweet treat card on me! You know I love everything with sugar—”

Taeyong huffed when she kept holding onto his sleeve. Nevertheless, he did a hopeful glimpse to the girl who seemed demanding. “Where do you want to buy me the ice cream?”

“In Mapo-gu.” She answered quick and he took not even a jiff to retort.

“That’s quite far!”

“Gosh, Lee Taeyong! Come on!”

“Fine.”

 

After five minutes, they departed and Jungkook was left with Jaehyun.

“Hi, Kook…”

Hesitant, Jaehyun prevented himself to get closer toward Jungkook.

“It’s okay, Jae…” Jungkook raised his left wrist wrapped in bandage. “Tried to kill myself two days ago— well, didn’t work.”

There’s no way for him to take back what he muttered as Jaehyun turned speechless in where he stood at.

He resumed. “What did you guys hear about me at school?”

It took few seconds before Jaehyun could get himself a grip from the shock. “Just about you’re getting hospitalized… N-nothing else.”

“Good.” A single statement from Jungkook as he realized his parents did everything to make sure no one in the outside world knew what have occurred.

Jaehyun scratched the back of his head and saw Jungkook offered him to sit on the chair beside his bed.

“But, I’m all okay now… See,” Jungkook began again, revealing there was no sharp objects near him and not even he allowed to use anything but disposable utensils. “What’s up, Jae?”

“Right…” Jaehyun timidly was preparing what his real aim of coming. “I need to tell you something.”

Jungkook couldn’t help but frowned. Jaehyun had never been this spontaneous and he believed there was nothing they certainly shared of one another.

“About my brother.”

“Hold on a second,” Jungkook raised an index. “You have a brother?”

Jaehyun merely nodded, hence it didn’t decrease Jungkook’s curiosity, onwards.

“You always said you’re only by yourself…”

Jaehyun fidgeted on his seat, making circles in between his grip with the thumbs. “Yeah… But, I never mentioned that I was born an only child.”

Jungkook’s frown just gotten deeper and deeper as Jaehyun began his story.

“My Junmyeon hyung died in a car accident when I was five and he was fifteen… He sat in the passenger seat, after bickering with me to do so— as always— and was the only one who didn’t survive the crash.”

Paused for Jungkook’s priceless expression, whereas Jaehyun lifted his shirt to expose stretched scar on the upper ribcage, right above his ripped abdomen.

“This is what remained on me, along with the memory of my hyung that I don’t really like to tell everybody else.”

Jungkook didn’t know what he ought to respond, except. “Did Yugyeom know about this?”

“He knew,” Jaehyun was done securing his top. “But, it’s because he visited my house and I didn’t have time to hide my hyung’s pictures.”

It crossed within Jungkook’s mind, Yugyeom was an excellent secret keeper despite his outer case of a person fancied to talk much.

“I’m sorry, Jae… But, can I ask?”

Jaehyun nodded as he signaled him to go on.

“Why are you keeping this to yourself?”

The only question Jaehyun would never miss, in anytime someone identified his strange behavior regarding his late brother.

Jaehyun took deep breath as he answered. “Life’s too short for my hyung and this year I’m already 17, quite lucky to get a couple more years than him… But, not once I think, I have done anything enough to be just like him.” Jaehyun had such bitter smile which rarely caught by any person. “He always made my parents proud in every single thing he did. Always on top of the class… I think he was number one class president in the entire school… He set already where to college when he was graduating middle school. And, you know what kills me the most, Kook?”

Jungkook shook his head slowly.

“His entire dreams vanished because he insisted to sit at the front instead of me.”

The patient gradually put his hand on the other’s shoulder who lowered his view to the floor. “Don’t say that, Jae…”

Jungkook’s heart clenched as he sensed he might becoming too sensitive in the recent days. Nonetheless, Jaehyun lifted his head and flashed him an unexpected beam.

“Almost twelve years have passed and it took me more than a decade to really say at myself, life must go on… And no matter how hard I tried to be like my hyung, but then again, I will never be with the bottom line… ’Cause I’m not Junmyeon hyung.”

It hit Jungkook right to his upmost core to get the last sentence.

“I hope I won’t need a decade to make sure myself that I can never be Taetae hyung.”

Having his jaw dropped almost literally, Jaehyun motioned he required more explanation from Jungkook. “Taetae hyung as in, Taehyung sunbae?”

“Yeah…” The round-orbs boy chose his words carefully. “Taetae hyung has this incurable illness and he didn’t have that much time left.”

Jaehyun bared in his mind, what Suzy asked him in favor was much more than just disclosing a deep secret with one of his good friends.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Kook…”

Jaehyun had no idea to say anything unless that, but he regretted when Jungkook had this slight change of his face.

“Please don’t say sorry… My Taetae hyung won’t stay alive, anyways.”

Surprisingly, Jaehyun responded him at ease. “At least, you know you’re going to lose your brother… When at five years old, I didn’t have even a single clue.”

Jungkook didn’t have the right cause to laugh at what Jaehyun stated, but they sure did a quite chuckling.

Maybe when life didn’t give you the reason to be amused, then you just made one by yourself. As ensuring everything happened for a reason and in the end, your own life has to go on.

And again, there was no justification for Jungkook to try ending his as what he had done a couple days ago.

“So, this is why?” Jaehyun aimed to Jungkook’s left wrist and he replied with a single nod.

“But, nope… I didn’t want to go through it again and it was painful as hell.”

“Good.” Jaehyun fisted Jungkook’s side arm gently. “I don’t know if you trust me enough, but… You can always talk to me about things… You know, as a friend.”

Jungkook grinned for the rare whiles he had lately. “Thanks, Jae.”

“Anytime, Kook.”

It came to Jungkook’s notion of what he should’ve asked Jaehyun in the first place.

“How did Suzy noona encourage you to do this?”

Jaehyun raised an eyebrow. “How do you know it’s her?”

“Who else then?”

Well, Jungkook made his intent clear to this.

“She just said I need to tell you about my hyung…”

“And you trust her just like that?”

Jaehyun shrugged. “For me, she seems so sincere… And I believe she cares a lot about you, so that’s why.”

One face of a certain soul popped into Jungkook’s mind, as it was on cue, she has returned to his hospital room with Taeyong.

 

Suzy was walking Jaehyun to the lobby as Taeyong stayed with Jungkook later.

“Do you know where’s Taehyung?”

The older probed Jungkook as he the TV and currently switching channel. Inhabiting next to the patient, of course.

“He’s gone for late lunch with Jin hyung, just before you came with Suzy noona.” The questioned boy fixed his half-sitting position as keeping an eye to the older. “Hey, Taeyong hyung…”

Taeyong turned to Jungkook with his typical, impression of aloof. “What?”

The younger blinked a couple times before exposing what was bothering him. “Can I ask you a question?”

“It depends.” Taeyong reacted while shifting his view to the movie channel, then toward Jungkook once more. “Only normal ones are allowed.”

Jungkook bit his lower lip, still tentative to proceed. But then, he did. “Why are you so nice to me?”

Taeyong coughed for no reason afore he reverted at the younger. “Is that your definition of normal question?”

“Come on, hyung… We both knew we never really liked each other…”

“Jungkook, I’m quite amazed if this is how you treat me after what we’ve gone through—”

“Taeyong hyung,” Jungkook had to put a stop and placed his hand atop of Taeyong’s. “You’re only been nice to Taetae hyung, or maybe sometimes, to Suzy noona and Jin hyung… And, never did to me before… So, why now?”

At the time, Taeyong couldn’t retort anymore for the reason Jungkook had made his point so clear.

“Alright…” subsequent to him was eventually giving in.

Taeyong faced Jungkook completely as he was prepared to accept anything he would get in return, whether it was good or bad.

“I never had a little brother of my own, Jungkook…” He couldn’t hold it any longer, although his voice got even deeper and smaller. “It doesn’t hurt me, maybe, to consider you as mine.”

Jungkook had never prepared and not even once he had think, this kind of day would come. As for him to listen of such heartfelt confession from the older.

“Taeyong hyung…”

He might need to prepare a whole box of tissue, as tears were surrounding his orbs and it was also the buildup of what chanced with him and Jaehyun earlier.

Taeyong rolled his eyes as he stood up. Even though deep inside, he was touched to see Jungkook’s reaction.

“Man up, Jungkook… I expect more from you.”

Jungkook sobbed as he slowly crawled to squeeze on Taeyong’s tummy from where he settled. Taeyong, on the other hand, scoffed heavily yet he still hugged Jungkook back and well along, ruffled the raven hair of his.

“You should know, I don’t mind having one more hyung, even if we didn’t have the same parents…”

Jungkook’s later statement caused Taeyong to wrap it up with a genuine smile he hardly presented to anyone. “Well, then… Thanks for your acceptance, little brother.”

 

Suzy strolled with Jaehyun until the taxi stop when she made sure again the younger didn’t need a lift, as her earnest appreciation of what he had done.

“Seriously, Suzy noona… I’m fine going home with a cab.” Jaehyun waved, in advance of she stopped him to get into the vehicle that expecting to be occupied.

“Once again, thanks Jaehyun-ah… Seriously, thank you.”

With that, Jaehyun detained himself to grab the cab’s door and turned at her once more. “Okay, maybe you can do a favor to thank me…”

“And what is that?” Suzy did furrow her brows, seeing Jaehyun threw her such a suspicious smirk.

Jaehyun tightened the grip of his bag straps, as he prepared to reveal what comes next. “Answer me, truthfully… You did all of this because you care about Jungkook, don’t you?”

Suzy put a finger on her lips, raising an eyebrow to the younger who anticipated her honest answer.

“If you are me, Jaehyun-ah… Do you think you’d do all of this if you didn’t care so much about that certain someone?”

She earned some chuckles from Jaehyun who opened the cab’s door for himself. It was when he uttered before entering. “That’s what I’m talking about.”

 


 

In about an hour, Taeyong has returned from getting himself some snacks downstairs when he bumped into Seokjin, who weirdly had exiting the room right next to Jungkook’s.

“Seokjin hyung?”

Taeyong’s brain did process some other questions once he perceived the older became awkward as noticing his appearance.

“You know Jungkook’s room is next to this one, aren’t you?”

Seokjin fixed the glasses on his nose bridge, putting arms on his hips. “Okay, but can you please stay calm after what I will say?”

“About what?” The younger was surely far from the state of stillness, which Seokjin would not guaranteed to be one hundred percent truthful.

“Taehyung’s in this room—”

He merely was pointing with a thumb and Taeyong was on stance of rushing to enter. But then again, Seokjin was quick to make him stay outside.

“What’s wrong with Taehyung?” Taeyong couldn’t avert his gaze to the designed ward and he insisted Seokjin to give decent clarification. “Seokjin hyung!”

“Taeyong-ah, calm… Please.”

Although Taeyong continued to attempt going in, Seokjin was stronger to haul him first and made him sit on one of the waiting couch.

The younger’s eyes started wandered everywhere. Mostly panic, but still focusing to the specific door and the Kim eldest maintained his coolness, because who else would be if it wasn’t him.

“Taehyung was exhausted… I just went out to check on Jungkook after he’s asleep.”

If it was the right moment for Taeyong to shed some tears, then maybe he was on the verge of actually doing it.

“He’s on the state at even the slightest exhaustion would cause him to collapse. So, we did choose this room as it was vacant, and Taehyung kept requiring to be very near to Jungkook.”

“We?” Taeyong let out his first word after a minute of being frozen.

“My parents and I… We noticed something’s wrong with Taehyung ever since his arrival yesterday,” Seokjin, then, gently put a palm onto the younger’s shaky edge. “Taeyong-ah, please… We still need to inform Jungkook and Suzy later about this.”

Taeyong squeezed onto his own head as he dropped his gaze to the floor. “Why this should be happening right now?”

 
 

 

A/N: So, last night NCT decided to give me heart attack...

 

 

 

 

 

 

THESE GUYS OWE ME SOME SERIOUS EXPLANATIONS......

 

 

Jaehyun's older brother turned out to be this handsome guy, Junmyeon <3

 

Alright, I need to get back to my sense...

Hope you guys enjoy the update and please leave some comments!!!

 

xoxo,