Another Proposition

To: Our Dear Tae,
 
 

Suzy tried to digest the reasons Jungkook provided, only for her to refuse believing. It came to her thoughts something that occurred the night before, appeared as she checked on her phone by this morning while still summoning the will to oppose her hangover and gone to attend the later classes.

“Jungkook, where were you last night?”

She crossed her arms, asking straight to the younger and not minding other three persons who never caught she snapped like that.

The called person couldn’t conceal his expression and was so artificial. His eyes began to wander anywhere but to Suzy’s, simply causing her compelled him further for an answer.

“I was sending Taetae hyung away… At the airport with Jin hyung.” Jungkook replied her in serious tone.

Thankfully, she didn’t catch the sudden question mark Seokjin had toward the younger’s false statement. However, Jungkook should’ve known she was more sharp-witted than anyone supposed. The awkward tension on their table has nearly reached its limit, but no one dared to jump in and probably divert the intense topic between those two.

“Why do you have to lie to me?” she leaned in toward the boy in front as her orbs started to get watery, because she truly didn’t want to have any argument with Jungkook. “This morning Jinri said that you were in the building—”

“Why the hell should we talk about this??” Jungkook cut Suzy as he slammed a palm and forcing her to end the examination. He soon pointed, “Taetae hyung was taking the midnight flight and there is a chance that maybe, I was going to the airport right after Taeyong hyung dragged me the first time to your place and to find you!”

Liar, that one term kept resounding within Jungkook’s head. It was like a dam of words, which he was holding since he never did such lying for so many times in a day, as it commenced his head to feel groggy. Panic, could be also the other that caused him almost having the vomiting sentence right at the moment.

“Jungkook,” then came her calm reply. “I didn’t even mention Taeyong, and how can you identify there were more than one time he was in my place last night?”

An exhale could be heard from the boy and now, everyone noticed he was on his feet as he bowed toward the other girl next to the eldest.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I can do this.”

Jungkook swiftly grabbed his backpack and marched toward the exit. In a matter of seconds, Suzy was intending to go for him, thus Jaehyun substituted the role because he sensed Jungkook didn’t want to be bothered by her.

“Let me talk to him.”

The dimpled-boy excused himself as he was dashing to catch up with the seemed furious friend.

Suzy took a deep breath as she saw Jaehyun’s back was disappearing from her sight, following the individual she began to share the attention. It was when she dropped back to where she seated, Seokjin threw her all the question he wanted to ask.

“Did Taeyong stay in your place last night?” With that, he initiated.

Suzy sighed again as she glanced to Jisoo, who apparently was throwing the similar look as the older. In which took her quite a while to clarify that no, Taeyong didn’t stay, as he probably just carried her up to her unit and then leave. As well as she explained the younger was kind of prevented her from an unwanted circumstance, which she never wished to deal with. Even so, she kept the contemplation that he was actually carrying it out with someone else, only to herself.

 

Jaehyun sped up to be right next to the friend he recognized was moping, even barely he sighted the back. Jungkook was aimlessly strolling as he kept going toward the busier place filled with noise that could cover what’s ringing in his notion.

“Hey,” Jaehyun elbowed and saw clearly Jungkook was not in a good mood. He wished Yugyeom was here though, since the tallest would excel this kind of situation, rather than him. “Can I walk with you?”

“Yeah, sure… Whatever.” Jungkook plainly responded as he gave him a quick squint.

There were times within the last months when the shorter was behaving toward his friends much better than this. It was like meeting Jungkook for the first time in high school, which he was far of being a social person— by now, he could socialize well with Jaehyun and Yugyeom, or even some of their classmates.

“Is there something bothering you?”

They simply walked toward some way that none of them would be precise to where of and not even Jungkook had anything to say, yet.

Jaehyun strived for more and for anyone such as him, he should be awarded of his attempt of breaking Jungkook’s silence. “I don’t know if I can help… But, I guess if you talk to me, at least you didn’t keep it by yourself.”

Jungkook turned to the other, whereas Jaehyun bit his lower lip, hesitating to resume the next one.

“It’s frustrating to keep stuffing the whole thing in your mind, Kook.”

“If I tell you something,” he started with low voice. “Promise me, if you want to ask, please not anything that’ll make it worse… ‘Cause I won’t answer.”

The taller didn’t really know what he meant, hitherto, he nodded and gestured Jungkook to continue.

“I’ve created some plans since yesterday, Jae… If you, or everyone wonder, why did I suddenly backing off to help her with the assignment… It’s because I decided not to do this with her.” he looked down to the ground as he kicked a pebble afore keep walking. “And if you speculate again, of what she confronted me before… It’s true, actually I have gone to pick her up at the bar last night, but I made Taeyong hyung to be the display. He did in favor of me.”

Jaehyun had his eyebrows furrowed, since both stuff Jungkook told him were irrelevant. Keep marching toward unknown street which didn’t have the end that near, the dimple boy didn’t dare to speak up till,

“Come on, Jae… I know you want to say something.”

Jaehyun pursed his lips in advance of uttering. “Why did you do that? Is it simply because you care for her…? I don’t get it.”

“Look,” Jungkook groaned, gazing to his friend. “I do care for her, but I can’t let my feeling got any bigger than this… It’s not just about she was dating my older brother—”

“Jungkook, you said it in past sentence.”

“Yesterday he broke up with her. Oh God…” He grabbed his hair and Jaehyun led him to sit on a near bench. “Taetae hyung is so stupid… Why did he do that?”

“Is there anyway that your brother knows about your feeling?”

Jungkook nodded weakly. “Yeah, but… He’s so careless if he thinks I would make a move when they just broke up and… You know what? This is not like some kind of plushie we fought for when we were kids… This is about a girl that both of us probably will love for the rest of our lives, well, I know Tae hyung does— ugh, please Jae, this is not as simple as that!”

“Hey, Kook… Calm down.” Jaehyun showed the empathy as he comforted by rubbing the shorter’s back. Jungkook seemed so stressed before he put palms to cover his face. “But, Kook… I’m sorry to be a bearer of not-so­-good news… I’m gonna say, not everything you planned will come up as what you wanted them to be.”

It took Jungkook more than a minute to process things and cued Jaehyun to carry on.

“If you intend to push someone away… You can do nothing if that someone tries to climb back and put it their way to refuse being out from your circle. You know, it is also not simple just like that.”

Jungkook raised an eyebrow when the other snapped his fingers.

“ it, I’m screwed…” He lowered his view again, supporting his weary head with one hand. “I must say that you and Gyeom should be thankful of whatever you guys have right now, because you aren’t as screwed as myself.”

The friend chuckled to hear such blunt declaration from him. “We all have our own problems, Kook… As for you, one thing I need to remind you right now is, you gotta know that there is one big planner above all of us.”

Jungkook’s lifted his view to find Jaehyun was directing to the sky.

There was a smirk tugged on his face before he said. “I don’t know you’re quite the religious guy, Jae…”

In which made Jaehyun poked his shoulder. “Hey, I go to church every week—”

 


 

Taehyung’s head shot up when his iPhone rung out of the blue, as he looked to the window that it was still dark outside.

“Hello,” his voice sounded even more hoarse when he picked up.

Taetae hyung!

There was only one person who called him such as that. “Hi, Kookie… What’s up? Did you call because you feel sorry for not being with Jin hyung at the airport for me?”

He smiled when he listened to the other’s hum and he must admitted, it wasn’t the same to live in the place without his varying type of brothers.

You’re going back with Suzy noona, aren’t you?”

This wasn’t what Taehyung expected, especially when he peeked at his watch on the bedside. “Jungkook,” the person in the other line must knew Taehyung was upset when he called him without the pet name. “It’s six freaking am in here… And what the hell are you doing? You should go to bed, it’s a school night!”

Why did you yell at me?? You’re mean.”

“Jungkook, I’m in holiday… I also know that now is almost midnight in Seoul, so that’s why—”

Why didn’t you answer my question?”

“Jungkook,” Taehyung exhaled as supported his forehead. “It’s my privilege to hook up with girls, now…”

No, you’re not… You were sleeping by yourself, aren’t you?”

“I arrived here already passing the sunset… I need to get proper sleep and I’ll go out later tonight— hold on, why did I even tell you all this stuff?”

Maybe, because I ask…” Jungkook’s sigh was prominent through the call. “But, you will fix things up when you return, right?”

“You know what? I’m hanging up.” Taehyung did although he heard Jungkook was repudiating, as he switched off the phone even if he couldn’t rest his mind afterwards.

 

Mr. Oh came inside the house around 9 a.m., returning from grocery shopping as he put the stuff to the fridge inside the kitchen. Subsequently, he observed the back access that lead to the beach. Whereas the old yet charming man found Taehyung was already there, barefooted and holding a glass of seemingly warm milk.

“Young master, you’re up early…”

Taehyung grinned as he searched for the source of voice from the man that stood by the door verge.

“Hi, Mr. Oh! Kookie called me so early this morning… I couldn’t sleep after.”

The old man approached the boy who he has taken care of since he was baby. Even compared to his own son, Mr. Oh would say he spent most of his time to overlook more for Taehyung.

“Your father informed me he needs to leave for inter-state business.”

Taehyung scrunched his nose. “I know… So, let’s have breakfast just the two of us!”

He forced Mr. Oh first to accompany him sitting in the dining room, even though the old man refused because he was used to stand up whenever the boy was having his meal.

“Come on, Mr. Oh! I thought you are retiring…”

He couldn’t say no if Taehyung gave him such disappointed face.

“My son will be here to take us go around at 10—”

“Alrighty!” Taehyung seemed excited from where he seated. “Wait, he’s not going to the university?”

“I told him to take some days off…” He glanced at Taehyung who was finishing his scrambled eggs. “He has to return the favor you did—”

“Mr. Oh… Please don’t mention it.” Taehyung appeared to be enthusiastic as he stood up. “I’m meeting you here again in thirty minutes, okay?”

Mr. Oh nodded, though Taehyung revisited in two seconds.

“Uh, Mr. Oh…” he scratched his not-so-itchy hair. “Your son is allowed to take me to the club, huh?”

“He’s older than you so I believe he is allowed to bring you there…” replied Mr. Oh with a slight furrow.

Taehyung threw his signature grin as he gave thumbs and walked in backwards.

 


 

Suzy shoved the pizza box straight to Taeyong once he unlocked the door for her. It was passing ten in the p.m. when the younger checked the wall clock and he contemplated to keep the entrance wide open.

“What?” The older questioned as she took a seat near to the single table arranged, adjacent to the simple kitchen.

Taeyong disclosed the box which it has a warm content and seemed Suzy was buying it just for him. “What is this for?”

“For you to be eaten.” She responded, “I know you usually have take-outs for dinner and the leftover can be stored until tomorrow.”

“Wow, thanks!” He replied while rummaging his fridge to find something for them to drink. “You want cider?”

“Cider’s cool.”

Taeyong handed Suzy the plastic cup that he already filled. “Seriously, what are you doing here?” he asked in small voice, a bit worried that she was going to snap if he kept asking.

Suzy was fiddling with her phone, busy scrolling for nothing before she could tell Taeyong what was her intention to come to his place this late. “It’s for thanking you for helping me last night…”

“And?” He asked coolly as sipping his own beverage.

“There’s no ‘and’ because I’m done.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Taeyong, I’m serious…”

“And me, too… I’m serious.” He reverted, although in soft tone. “If you are done, please go home because I don’t want people to suspect anything strange between us.”

“Whoa, you do change to be a better person, don’t you?” Suzy said to him in an awe. “You make me proud… Anyway, you win… There is something else,”

“There you go.”

Taeyong’s flat expression turned into smirk, the minute she was ready to share him the problem.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but Jungkook was there too when you search out for me and you found me at the bar, wasn’t he?”

The younger frowned as he swallowed up until nothing has remained inside his mug. “Excuse me, what?”

He was trying to protect what promise he made to the Kim’s youngest, but now he cussed inside since he never was a person who’s good in keeping a secret.

“Come on, Taeyong… You knew me first before you know him, so please… Be with me on this.”

Oh, no… No… No!” Taeyong aimed his index as he swung it a couple to left and right. “Don’t you play that card on me!”

Suzy giggled because it was funny to see his face was red and she realized, he was losing the nerve such at this moment.

“If Jungkook ask, never once we discussed about this.” Taeyong has eventually surrendered, granting he didn’t say it straight. “You had your own assumptions.”

“The assumption which I assume is totally right.”

“Whatever.” The younger snorted, even so the next one he was about to provoke her, would really taking it up a notch. It was like a light bulb that popped beside his temple and it shone so bright. “But I wonder, why did you even care whether Jungkook was there or not?”

Suzy left Taeyong’s apartment not so long after she couldn’t deliver him an answer for the last one.

 


 

It was another day Suzy went to the coffee house to meet the subject of her assignment. The difference was the person she was now needed to examine wasn’t Jungkook. The girl in checkered outer waved toward Jaehyun, as she was entering the place with Jisoo— without Seokjin, because the older had a lecture he required to attend— and her focus shifted to the raven-haired person who was seated across to the younger.

“Hi, Jungkook!”

Jungkook was startled because she was coming from the direction of his back. He didn’t reply as he was on his feet and kindly offer Jisoo if she wanted to order a drink.

“Wow, Jungkook is pretty nice…” Jisoo commented as she occupied the chair next to her classmate.

“Really?” Suzy raised an eyebrow. “It’s the thing he usually does whenever we were meeting here.”

“This one never offered me any.”

Jaehyun rolled his eyes because he realized Jisoo was referring at him.

A bit annoyed, he scoffed afore was getting up. “Alright, what do you want to drink?”

“Jungkook’s already ordering me—”

“I’m asking Suzy noona… I’m with her, now.” Jaehyun stuck a tongue out, hence Jisoo jokingly smacked his arm.

 


 

The next day, Suzy and Jaehyun were seated around three tables away from Jisoo and Jungkook. Jaehyun had sworn within himself that Jungkook was looking at their direction more than he was facing Jisoo, as he knew the older girl must be keep asking him questions. Just the same as what Suzy did toward him.

“I must say, Jaehyun… Your choice of songs is quite differing …” Suzy bobbed her head a couple times. “Interesting.”

“Maybe because I’m still in teenage phase…” Jaehyun responded. “Even my mom would say what I want to eat in a day could vary from pasta to bulgogi.”

Suzy didn’t know what else to comment as she agreed of whatever Jungkook once said that this friend of him was probably brighter than everyone else. “Okay, maybe we can finish today’s faster than the other group.” She complimented him once more. “I still have one more question regarding your song choices… You have children songs and yet, some of the oldies were pretty much contrasting. And all of this were around the same era.”

“Okay, shoot.”

Suzy was impressed because Jaehyun was at poise and definitely mature for someone his age.

“Did you have any memory you recall the most by the time when these were released?”

She asked to the boy who took it easy from his chair. However, his posture changed as he caught palpably what was she purposed.

“Jisoo noona never asks me this.”

Jaehyun suddenly piped down from whatever he was playing with his note and pencil.

The older bit her lower lip. “Jaehyun, she’ll get to this point sooner or later… Maybe she needs time to peruse every song you mostly listen to.”

“And why should you ask me this in my second session?”

Suzy took notice that Jaehyun started shaking his legs under the table. “Uh,” she hummed. “I believe someone looks the brightest actually has something going on wildly inside their head.”

Jaehyun tensed at her statement. Well, he never prepared someone as sharp as this person would alter Jisoo, whereas the previous older preferred to relate with fun games first with the lyrics.

“It’s a collection of what I used to listen a lot with my hyung…” He showed her the playlist that clearly loaded with random content. “We have ten years difference and we bicker a lot, because we fight for which song to play inside the car whenever we go out with mom and dad.”

Jaehyun’s orbs were darkened when he began to speak about the matter. Suzy’s reaction toward his sentences were solemn though.

“Are you close with your brother?”

The younger met her eyes as soon he glanced over outside the window, distracting his then disordered mind. “No, if you are asking now… Then, no.”

She took a sip of her caramel macchiato, in advance of she explored more of Jaehyun’s sorrow. “May I know why?”

Jaehyun shrugged and there was a simper plastered by his edge. “Because he’s dead when I was five years old.”

 

If only he knew, he just made Suzy’s sentiment broke into pieces. Deep inside, she remembered Jungkook had mentioned Jaehyun was an only child. Perhaps this, she could use as reference for the latter.

 


 

A/N: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just a few pictures of my biases being Rude 🔥🔥🔥

 

Please leave comments 주세요!!!