A Melody of You (jicheol)

SVT OS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon was sitting in the corner of the practise room. The members were having a little break during the practice. Even though they weren't yet practising for a new album, the Love&Letter album's coreographies still needed plenty of practice to keep the boys in shape.

Jihoon used this little freetime to drink up the rest of his water before spacing out. He was already awfully tired, his legs and arms numb due to the hours of continuous dancing, and he was planning on staying in the studio to come up with something useful that he could start the next album with. He looked at the clock on the wall.

12.23am. Jihoon sighed, knowing that it was going to be a long night.

He almost didn't hear the clapping of Soonyoung that signaled the end of the break, and with a low groan he pushed himself to stand up. Looking around the room he saw that he wasn't the only one hoping that the practice would end soon, though nobody mentioned it.

Like always. If anyone started complaining, the others would soon follow him and it would ruin the practice. Also, everyone knew better than to argue Soonyoung over the importance of practice.

Jihoon shook his arms, trying to get rid of the vague ache in them although he knew it was completely useless. He hopefully had to survive only one more hour or so, before he could sink into his piece of comfortable heaven in the studio.

The practice continued, with all the members focusing at their bests and without a single word of complaint. Jihoon, however, did stumble a few times because of tiredness. He had a hard time concentrating with so many thoughts in his head, and the fact that he was sweating like a pig wasn't helping either. He wiped his forehead with his upper arm and took a deep breath. Taking a step backwards to lean against the wall he accidentally bumped into a walking Seungcheol.

"Oh- sorry." he apologised that sounded more like an incomprehensible murmur, though Seungcheol seemed to have understood it.

"It's fine," the leader smiled softly and took in the sight of a sweaty and panting Jihoon. "Tired that much?" this caused the composer to look at him with weary eyes.

"Don't tell me you're not," he said, and when the other shrugged slightly he continued. "Good for you. I'm not that tough."

"Yeah, I know," Seungcheol said. After years of being together now, he knew that Jihoon was the type who usually got tired out sooner than most of them. Physically, at least. In mental concentration, he was leading the list though. "It's gonna be over very soon." he said, hoping that it'd make the composer feel a bit better about it.

"I know. I'm staying to try out some new things though. That'll probably be easier." he let a soft smile crawl upon his face and Seungcheol pursed his lips.

"Why? You should rest. You need sleep just asmuch as we do." Jihoon shrugged, averting his eyes from the other.

"I'm curious. Maybe it will help me with coming up something new later."

"You can be curious later. Come back to the dorm with us and sleep." Seungcheol said and leaned against the wall while keeping his gaze on the younger. Jihoon shook his head and raised his hand to settle his bang. The leader helped him when he didn't manage to do it properly due to his arms slightly trembling cause of the tiredness. Jihoon stood still while Seungcheol was settling his bangs, looking past the other then thanked him when he was done.

"I'll be quick." he assured the taller and ignored the sudden weight of Seungcheol's hand on his shoulder.

"Alright then." he smiled and left Jihoon there to go to his bag for some water. Jihoon looked after him, following him with his eyes before sighing, and went back to his place in the beginning of the coreography, waiting for the others to continue the practice.

In those racing thoughts in his mind was one that had been deeply buried for weeks now. Jihoon hated it and tried to avoid it as hard as possible, without being too obvious about it. He had managed to get away with it so far, and he was happy about it. The last thing he needed was his secret crush on his leader being revealed.

Little did he know that his play wasn't as convincing to Soonyoung, who had been crouching next to the loudspeakers while watching him, as he had thought.

~#~#~#~

After the practise had ended, Jihoon was walking down the hallway to the studio. He entered the room and smiled at the familiar scent of it that had always welcome him whenever he was about to work here. He the computer and sank into his comfortable chair, letting out a deep sigh of tiredness. He had rather gone back to the dorms with the others, but a tiny little melody in his head didn't leave him alone all day, and he was afraid that he would forget it by tomorrow evening, so Jihoon found it better to make a draft now when he still remembered it.

He waited until the program started before turning to the sintetizator and playing the melody. He frowned when it didn't sound like the one in his mind, so he changed a few notes, but it still didn't sound good. Jihoon took a deep breath to clear his mind and started again, hitting the keys in order of the ones in his mind.

After like ten minutes he managed to create a short melody that sounded almost like the one that had been bugging him all day, though something was still missing and Jihoon couldn't figure out what it was. Nevertheless this current thing seemed something that was worth working on, so Jihoon continued adding a few effects to it, changing it, mixing it.

He was so into his work that he failed to notice the door opening and closing behind his back. Only when someone tapped his shoulder from behind did he realise that he was not alone in the studio. He jumped slightly and calmed his now racing heart before turning around to face a tired-eyed Seungcheol.

"What are you doing here?" Jihoon asked, surprised to see the other there.

"I stayed behind to wait for you. I thought you said it was gonna be short?" he said, turning the last sentence into a question. Jihoon checked the time on the computer and realised that it was already past two. He had been in the studio for almost an hour now. He scratched his nape, suppressing a yawn, and looked back at Seungcheol.

"I didn't know it was this late... but why are you still here? I mean-" Jihoon mentally sighed, because Seungcheol had said his reason less than a minute ago. He tried again, not wanting to look weird in the other's eyes. "Why did you wait for me?" the leader shrugged and sat down on the ground next to him.

"I thought you would finish early and I didn't want you to walk home alone, also I had some moves to clear now that we changed a few things in the coreography. So I practised a bit more, then waited for you, then came here. So what have you been up to?" he pulled his lips into a smile even though it was clear that he was exhausted.

"You should have gone home..." Jihoon muttered, feeling guilty that he made the other wait so long. He looked back at the computer, unsure about the current result of his work. "I don't know to be honest. There was a melody stuck in my head all day, so I worked on it a little. It's not what I expected though." he finished, looking back at Seungcheol.

"Can I hear it?" the leader asked, his eyes shining in the light of the computer screen. His hair was messy and sweaty from the pratcice, and it all made Jihoon get lost in staring at him. He shook his head, to get out of this state and also as an answer to Seungcheol's question.

"It's not good."

"Come on, I'm sure it's better than you think so. Please?" he asked with a wider smile that made Jihoon grimace slightly while debating with himself.

"I- uh... no. Maybe somewhen later." he finished and quickly turned off the computer. He looked back at a pouting Seungcheol and chuckled at the sight. "Let's go home." he said and the leader agreed, standing up. They headed towards the door.

"Will you show it to me when it's ready?" Jihoon nodded, closing the door after they had left the room.

"Sure." he said, though deep down he knew that he wouldn't finish it, since it wasn't how he imagined it at all. And he never gave out anything from under his hand that wasn't fully matching his expectations.

The two then walked back to the dorm together, quickly, to have as much sleep as they still could before the next day.

~#~#~#~

In the following weeks the Seventeen members continued with their schedules, practising and performing at different places. It was still hectic, but not as much as it had been a few weeks ago. The members were more relaxed now, and it made the atmosphere lighter, much to their delight.

During this time Jihoon noticed that Soonyoung and Seungcheol spent more and more time together. He pushed the tingling feeling of jealousy aside since he knew there was no reason for him to feel so. Seungcheol had the right to do whatever he wanted, he could be with whoever he wanted. Jihoon wasn't in any place to say anything. Still he couldn't help but feel sour whenever he saw Soonyoung and Seungcheol playing and having fun together.

Sometimes he wished he wasn't so introverted, that he was easier to talk to. He could act more natural around s, and he would be able to spend more time with Seungcheol without feeling shy and uneasy. But he didn't know how to act like how Soonyoung did, he wasn't open at all.

Most of the time Jihoon ignored their fun talks and interactions, and left the room to find something to distract himself with. Usually this distraction was someone else, or if no one was around he mentally continued the little melody that was still unfinished. Jihoon managed to improve it somehow and eventually he grew to ignore and forget that little unsatisfying thing about it. Now it sounded right and he was happy that it didn't bother him anymore.

Jihoon started to spend more and more time in his studio after practice, just like how he always did when they were preparing for a mini album or the Love&Letter album. It was a place where he felt completely at ease, where the group's bothersome things didn't reach him. The other members had noticed his absence, but they didn't want to bother him with questions so simple. Obviously he was preparing for the next album. Or so they had thought.

Actually, Jihoon spent this much time in the studio because he wanted to get away from the members and Seungcheol until he completely buried his feelings again, and he used this chance to work on the melody. He had changed it so many times that he couldn't even count it. It was either because he didn't like the result or because it sounded weird as a complete song. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter