Jaehwan's visit

The dreaded marriage.

 

Jae Hwan paid them a small visit, few days after that, and Sang Hyuk was unlucky to be sitting by the front door with Ravi and N. “Good morning, Sang Hyuk, sirs.” Jae Hwan forced a smile but Sang Hyuk didn’t return it, as he bowed.

“Mr. Lee, I’m honored by your visit. I’ll notify Mr. Jung and his husband for your visit.” Sang Hyuk coldly spoke and nearly stepped away when Jae Hwan held his hand. It made Sang Hyuk’s eyes get filled with tears and Ravi pulled a shocked N to leave the couple alone. They stood in the front door, holding hands, and looking at each other in the eyes. “Let me go.”

“I missed you… so much.” Jae Hwan’s voice broke. “but I worked hard for my position, Hyukkie. You know I did.” Sang Hyuk nodded looking away.

“This is why I hold myself from hating you, Jae Hwan Hyung.” Sang Hyuk freed himself and stepped aside. “Please get in. I’ll call Hong Bin. He will be happy to see you.” Jae Hwan forced a smile as he felt like crying.

“I’ll be happy to see him too.” Jae Hwan mumbled to himself as he observed Sang Hyuk walking away. “He is fitting in so fast.”

“You can say he is trying.” A voice made him look back to N. “The poor kid cried himself to sleep for several days, but in the end, he got his together for Hong Bin’s sake.” Jae Hwan noticed the couple and nodded absently to them. “Are you the man he loves?” It wasn’t really a question but N seemed to ask for a confession from him.

“I’m the man who broke his heart.” Jae Hwan smiled, offering his hand to Hak Yeon. “Lee Jae Hwan. Nice to meet you.”

“Cha Hak Yeon, and this is my husband Kim Won Shik.” Hak Yeon and Won Shik shook hands with Jae Hwan, noticing how he eyed them curiously. “We are honored to meet you, sir.” Hak Yeon bowed. “We will take our leave now, excuse us.” Jae Hwan nodded and observed as Hak Yeon and Won Shik held hands as they walked away.

Hong Bin showed up soon after but no Sang Hyuk along. “Jae Hwan! I’m glad to see you.”

“I came to check on you both.” Jae Hwan smiled. “It is rare for people to fit out of their clans but you both seem glowing.” Hong Bin chuckled at that.

“We are. Everybody is nice to us, here. Sang Hyuk made new friends and I got myself a huge supply of books.” Hong Bin admitted with a loud bright tone. “I can’t ask for more.”

“How about your marriage?” the question took Hong Bin off guard and he looked away, blushing. “How does he treat you?”

“Taek Woon treats me well. But we are taking it really slow in the wedding.” Hong Bin admitted. “We are both not used to… same relationships.”

“It doesn’t differ from the normal relationships if you ask me.” Jae Hwan commented but he blushed as Hong Bin looked at him. “Well… I always thought it didn’t.”

Hong Bin chuckled as he led Jae Hwan to a sofa. “Well, both of us want to dominate this relationship so we are taking it slow, to grow used to the differences between us, and to find common points. I mean, we are completely strangers to each other.” Jae Hwan nodded at that. “But anyway, how is the situation?”

“Tight.” The comment made Hong Bin blink. “It seems there is a raising war in the air, which is why many clans are joining hands like ours with Mr. Jung. ” The realization fell heavy on Hong Bin’s shoulders.

“So our clan’s arranged marriage is a guarantee for war’s alliance?” Hong Bin stood up. “It explains things to me.” Jae Hwan seemed surprised by Hong Bin’s reaction.

“I’m sorry; I thought you were aware of the nature of this arrangement.” Hong Bin shook his head. “I’m sorry, Hong Bin.” Hong Bin sighed and pulled Jae Hwan along to the swings. It was a rainy day so Hong Bin could step out in the daylight. They didn’t talk for a moment. “Will he forgive me someday?”

“You denied him; it’s hard to forgive such blunt denial.” Jae Hwan nodded, stopping his swing. “But he will forgive you.” Hong Bin and Jae Hwan looked at each other right in the eyes. “He understands what you feel, even if you did hurt his feelings.” Jae Hwan had a small sparkle of hope in his eyes. “I just wonder if you aren’t making the wrong choice. Yes, to be a headmaster is a great honor and a great responsibility… but does it worth giving up on your love, Jae Hwan?”

“It doesn’t.” Jae Hwan admitted. “I know it doesn’t but I had no choice. Among all the future headmasters, I was always considered as the weakest. I had made a promise to myself… you know how hard it is to keep a promise to yourself and how hard it is to not to.”

“I understand.” Hong Bin smiled. “I just hope that someday, you will find the right path for you and Sang Hyuk, or that you will find those who will make you happy.” Jae Hwan’s face flinched in pain. The idea of spending his life without Sang Hyuk is already unbearable but to spend it with someone he doesn’t love makes it even worse. He knew he needed Sang Hyuk, the only reason why he missed his duties to come and visit. “I truly hope only that Sang Hyuk and you will be happy in the end.”

“Thank you, Hong Bin.” The smile in Jae Hwan’s face faded. “I should pay the headmaster a visit or he won’t like me getting in his mansion without greeting him at least.” Hong Bin nodded at that, leading the way. They spoke a little, rather casually because Hong Bin felt like Jae Hwan wouldn’t stand the day. Once in the office, Hong Bin naturally stood by his husband side.

“Dear father, my clan’s head master’s son came for a short visit.” Hong Bin said with a smile, and Jae Hwan got in bowing, before noticing that Sang Hyuk was already there as well.

“Mr. Han alerted me. Please get in, Jae Hwan.” The old man stood to shake hands with the startled man. “It is a pleasure to have you in my house.”

“Thank you. I just came to check on our clan’s members.” Jae Hwan smiled formally. “It is hard to fit out of the clan, especially for my hyung’s case. He lived around two thousand years in our mansion.”

“I am aware of your concerns.” The man said with a smile as he held Hong Bin’s hand. “But Hong Bin is now my son, and I’ll make sure he is happy wherever he is.” Hong Bin smiled shyly at it. “How is your father? I expected news from him.”

“He is not in town. He went to meet a friend out town.” Jae Hwan admitted. “He told me it is around the same subject he spoke with you about, the last time you held a meeting.” The old man nodded. Jae Hwan used all his strength to not look at Sang Hyuk, but it tore him. “If you excuse me, I have to be back in the mansion and fulfill my duties until Dad comes back.”

“Sure. Mr. Han, please Mr. Lee.” Sang Hyuk bowed and stood in front of Jae Hwan who bowed goodbye to the old man, Hong Bin and Taek Woon, before following the stiff man. Once out of the room, Jae Hwan held Sang Hyuk’s hand, and it froze the man in front of him.

“What are you doing?” Sang Hyuk seemed confused and rather uncomfortable.

Jae Hwan leaned too close in order to whisper softly. “It may be the last time I’m this close to you.” His other hand held on Sang Hyuk’s arm while Sang Hyuk just stood there. “I missed you oh so much…”

“I missed you too.” Sang Hyuk coldly said as he pushed the man away. “But we are no longer from the same clan and entertaining a long distance relationship isn’t my cup of tea.” Jae Hwan held his hands, a broken expression in his face. “Jae Hwan… don’t do this.”

“Just one last time. Just let me hold you for one last time.” Sang Hyuk had limits and he crossed them all as he pulled Jae Hwan a little harshly out. Once in the front yard, Jae Hwan looked utterly hurt, confused, and heartbroken. “Please…” He nearly sobbed. God knows he truly wanted to cry, he had been holding it for days. “Just one last time.”

“Jae Hwan, it is better like this. I don’t want to live with the memory of one last time here…” Sang Hyuk’s tears flew down before he could stop him. “And I don’t want your reputation stained because of me. I am not meant for you, Mr. Lee. Good Bye.”

Sang Hyuk stepped back, observing as Jae Hwan’s world crushed down. The man was standing on his feet but he was shedding tears with the most lifeless face Sang Hyuk ever saw him wearing. “Good Bye… my love.” Jae Hwan’s car showed up and got in before saying or doing anything stupid.

He felt that he already made many mistakes meanwhile Sang Hyuk cried loudly as he ran to the swings. He sat on one and cried his heart content. He didn’t know why it did hurt that badly because he was sure both him and Jae Hwan made the correct choices.

“Hey…” He looked up to notice Taek Woon standing in front of him with a napkin. “Dinner is served.” Sang Hyuk looked up to notice the nighttime and nodded. “If you need someone to talk to… you can talk to me.” It was surprising and it made Sang Hyuk look at the man for a moment before chuckling.

“I am fine.” Sang Hyuk walked ahead when he felt a hand on his wrist and he looked back to notice a deadly glaring Taek Woon holding him. “I am truly fine.”

Taek Woon didn’t let him go and pulled him in a hug, which surprised Hong Bin who observed them from afar, and Sang Hyuk who sobbed uncontrollably. “I know you aren’t.” Taek Woon softly said. “I know and I am sorry I can’t help you out.”

Sang Hyuk needed to stop crying first. “It’s ok. I made a choice and he made his, we can do nothing about it now.” Sang Hyuk forced his smile out and sniffed as he tried to dry his cheeks. “Let’s go eat.” Taek Woon observed as Sang Hyuk got in the mansion, walking past an expressionless Hong Bin. The couple looked at each other for a moment before Hong Bin walked toward him. Taek Woon didn’t know how to explain the kicking sensation that spread in his veins when Hong Bin suddenly smiled to him.

Hong Bin was feeling more grateful Taek Woon made a move to befriend his friend so he stood close and held the man’s hand. “Let’s go.” Taek Woon frowned at him and allowed Hong Bin to pull him. They reached the dinner table where Hong Bin and Taek Woon faced each other. Hong Bin didn’t need to eat but it came as a habit since he had to be around his husband. The dinner went in silence but Taek Woon noticed how Hong Bin would smile from time to time and glance over him. He didn’t know why but he liked it.

Sang Hyuk meanwhile couldn’t eat. He tried to force the food through his throat but by the end, he just chewed lifelessly, waiting for the headmaster to leave the table first, like the tradition said. His heart was bleeding and he wished he could do anything to stop it. Taek Woon and Hong Bin noticed eventually and tried to act against it. They couldn’t help him anyway, and they knew it.

“I’d like to send Mr. Han to check on their clan. I may trust Mr. Lee’s words but I do not trust the clan’s loyalty toward the poor kid.” The words made Sang Hyuk freeze and Hong Bin was fast to speak.

“Jae Hwan may seem young, but he is respected and loved in the clan. I am sure everything is fine.” Hong Bin said with a smile. “However, I won’t stop you sir if you want to send him for a visit.”

Taek Woon glanced over Sang Hyuk then his father. “Sending Mr. Han just after Mr. Lee left us is a sign of distrust. I prefer if you do not, father.” The old man glared and his brother sighed.

“Taek Woon is right. Mr. Lee will be offended, both son and father.” The words seemed to make sense more. “You don’t want us to get into a fight with our allies, right father?”

Sang Hyuk swallowed his tears the best he could, he truly did but by the time the headmaster looked at him, his face was red and broken with tears. They basically knew why he was like that and a sudden heavy silence fell on the room.