the deal

The dreaded marriage.

Hong Bin always thought that incarnation was a set of bull, until he was turned into a vampire in his twenty second birthday. Living through years, a face kept showing up whenever he met someone, or precisely  someone which he don’t do often.

The face is unknown but within himself he knew it belonged to someone he loved before. He couldn’t define who, but he knew the man existed. The odd part is that he always looked for a female, and yet rare are those who manage to seduce him in bed, while his heart knew it wanted a man. His clan even called him “The picky ” despite the seventy times he had .

Once every thirty three years, he meets someone who pull his strings tight and he finds himself drown to the pain of losing a part of his heart in it. And every time, he kisses them, or deep into their souls, while sharp eyes kept looking at his. Eyes he only imagined, in his fuzziness, while his lips mewl a name he never heard.

“Hong Bin.” Sitting in the library, Hong Bin hoped to be unseen by people but it seemed kind of impossible. He looked up to his friend, a member of the clan who he managed to handle, Hyuk who got in with a shocked expression written in his face. “Did you hear the news?”

“What news?”

“Well they are setting a wedding between our clan and another clan.” Hyuk sat down, incredulous. “I know our headmaster is old school but not to this point.”

“Arranged marriages are always a good solution to clear conflicts, none of the clans will try to hurt the other side as long as their clan’s member is married to the other side’s member.” Hong Bin explained while Hyuk gave him an outraged expression. “It’s the headmaster who will get married?”

“No. Well, I don’t know. They said a party made in the clan’s mansion determinates who may be a suitable couple.” Hyuk leaned closer. “They said they may marry two males with equivalent powers so that it will reduce the risk of conjugal abuse but that is just a rumor.”

“Oh.” Hong Bin looked curiously at Hyuk’s eyes. A sudden rush of anxiety seized him. “I see. Are you afraid to be chosen?”

“What? Me? No.” Hyuk seemed more than nervous as he said so, resting his back on the sofa. “I had set my eyes on a member of the clan already, I am safe.” He looked at Hong Bin. “In fact, everyone in the clan have a partner… except you.”

Hong Bin’s world paused.  “I see. You think I’m the one the headmaster will marry.” Hyuk nodded. “I am glad you told me in advance about the whole thing.”

“I just don’t want you to be hurt, Hyung.” He admitted sitting closer to Hong Bin. “If you fall in love before the ball, I think it will be your safe haven.”

“And what about the arranged marriage? If they made such decision, then it is for the good of the clans, I won’t mind playing my role.” Hong Bin smiled reassuringly to his friend before frowning. “Wait. WHAT? You have set your eyes on someone and you didn’t tell me?” Hyuk seemed taken aback about it before blushing madly. “Hyuk! I thought I was your friend.”

“Hyung… we are just… in a friend to boyfriend kind of level… and I don’t know if the clan will approve us.” Hyuk mumbled shyly while Hong Bin tensed.

“A man? You are in love with a man?” Hyuk nodded, looking down. “Is it why you didn’t tell me too? I don’t truly mind who you are with as long as you are happy, Hyuk.” Hong Bin gave it a moment of reflection. “However, the headmaster will be mad about it, I guess.”

“Oh, he will.” Hyuk nodded, before burying his face in his hands. “This is why we didn’t try to date properly. We are just… friend to anyone who sees us.”

“Friends?” Hong Bin didn’t truly know who is friend with whom in the clan but he knew Hyuk’s list of friends. “I never noticed you giving any special treatment to any of your friends.” Hyuk blushed. “Wait, he is not?” Hyuk shook his head. “Who is it?”

“The headmaster’s son.” All Hong Bin could mutter was holly and Hyuk chuckled at it. “Yeah… he is barely leaving his side, I don’t know how I’m going to be anything more than that for Jae Hwan.”

“It’s risky. Headmaster put a lot of trust in Jae Hwan; if he discovers that the man is gay, hell will break loose in your both heads.” Before Hong Bin could say anything, he noticed tears in his friend’s eyes. “Don’t cry, ok?”

“I’m not crying.” Hyuk’s voice wavered as he stood up. “I’ll go finish some stuff.” Hong Bin sighed deeply, before putting down the book he was reading. He faced the window and observed the night with a heavy heart.

The ball’s date was announced in the dinner time, and anyone who had a date had to show up with. Hyuk and Hong Bin looked at each other for a moment, before Hong Bin smiled reassuringly. “They will choose me, don’t worry. I’m more handsome than you.”

Hyuk punched him lightly. “You are so full of yourself and nothing will prove that they will choose you.”

Hong Bin laughed at it, while his eyes went to the silent man by the headmaster. The man seemed tense, his eyes on Hong Bin and Hyuk. “He is looking at us.” Hyuk tensed a little before looking at Jae Hwan who suddenly broke into a smile. “He’s cute when he smiles.”

“Back off, he’s mine.” It made Hong Bin chuckle while Hyuk smiled widely. “I saw him smiling properly and he was so effing cute. He is cute when he speaks too.”

“He speaks? I never heard him speaking.” Hong Bin stated which is true, Jae Hwan rarely spoke to any of them. “Anyway, we need to shop suits.”

“You will buy me one?” Hyuk pleaded with a smile and Hong Bin scoffed even if he was going to do so.

The ball’s night, the mansion was so tense that half of the members went to the woods, avoiding it. The headmaster won’t push them to show up, anyway. Hong Bin was one of those who stayed, eyeing the door as cars parked, and people got in. “Woah. Their number is big.” Hyuk exclaimed

“It’s a bigger clan than ours indeed.” A new voice made Hyuk and Hong Bin look back to Jae Hwan who stood by their side. “Mind if I join you?” He stood by Hyuk’s side and the both men blushed madly while Hong Bin observed them with a smile.

“I never heard you talking.” It made Jae Hwan chuckle, showing a cute expression.

“Really? I apologize for it. Dad rarely let me interact with people, he keep me by his side to teach me how to be a good headmaster.” Jae Hwan said with a serious tone, despite his smile. “But let us forget about this. The ball’s room is full by now, let us greet our guests.”

Before they could even move a white car showed in the open space in front of the door, and three men left it. Jae Hwan managed to pull them away to the side of the door before bowing to whoever got in. Hyuk and Hong Bin bowed too, as many others did, because it seemed that it was the headmaster of the guest clan. Hong Bin and Hyuk rushed to the ball’s room, urged by Jae Hwan who seemed worried. “What is it, Jae Hwan?” the man looked at Hyuk with a serious expression.

“One of the two men with the other clan’s headmaster is set to be the husband of whomever dad chose as suitable partner for the arranged marriage.” Jae Hwan explained, holding on Hyuk’s hand subtly. “I am so worried they will choose me.”

“What?” Hyuk’s face was drained from blood when suddenly Hong Bin’s hands landed on their cheeks.

“I won’t let that happen.” Hong Bin said with a smile. “I’ll go bow to your dad, and use some charm.” Jae Hwan’s jaw dropped as Hong Bin indeed walked toward the headmaster, pulling a waiter who was serving fresh blood, before bowing to them. “Good evening Master, Sirs.” The headmaster noticed the charming smile and eyed the men by his side. “May I offer you fresh blood?” He offered the guest master first, bowing to him, then to his clan’s headmaster, before looking up to the two men. For a moment, he felt like he lost sense of space and had to blink before giving the two men their drinks with shaken hands. “Please enjoy the ball.”

“Thank you, Hong Bin.” The headmaster had a satisfied expression. “Can you serve us some water, I’m sure Mr. Jung feel thirsty.”

“Indeed, I am a little thirsty.” The man said with a teasing tone. “But your son’s charming smile is as fresh as a summer breeze. Very refreshing.” Hong Bin smiled again, showing his dimples to the masters before offering a cup of water to the guests.

It made the headmaster beam, but still shook his head. “Hong Bin is the oldest members of the clan, nearly as old as me.” The remark made Hong Bin’s smile flutter. “He was attacked by a clan who turned him and threw him in the battlefield but I got him in time and raised him like a son.”

“It was an honor.” Hong Bin bowed to the master before looking to the guest. “If you excuse me, I’ll make sure your clan’s members are served as well.”

“Oh, yes please, take those two with you.” The guest seemed enjoying kicking the men by his side around. “Go have fun.” The men rolled their eyes and each one of them followed Hong Bin to the buffet.

“What do you want me to serve you?” Hong Bin offered, before subtly looking for Hyuk and Jae Hwan, who were nowhere to be seen.

“Isn’t it the role of the headmaster’s son to serve the guests?” The question made Hong Bin freeze but he smiled.

“Actually, it’s the oldest member of the clan who should serve. The headmaster’s son is still young and has little idea of the proper etiquette.” Hong Bin served them blood. “Please, pick whatever you want.” The one who spoke nodded absently, picking an empty plat and serving himself while the other one stood silently, observing Hong Bin who ignored his eyes. Those familiar eyes. “Do you desire anything?”

“Desire?” the silent mumble was enough loud to make Hong Bin shiver. “I need fresh air.” Hong Bin smiled, offering the man to follow him. They headed to the backyard where Hong Bin noticed Jae Hwan and Hyuk, both swinging in the children area, and laughing in delight. “They seem to have fun.”

“They are close.” Hong Bin offered the man to sit in a bunch but the man went to the swings. The two men stood as soon as they noticed Hong Bin with the man. “Can I join you?” the question shocked Hong Bin who observed the man sit in a swing and swinging while his friends looked at him in confusion.

“He is one of the guest headmaster’s sons, I guess. I wasn’t properly introduced to him.” Hong Bin carefully looked at the man who kept swinging without saying a word. “This Han Sang Hyuk, my best friend and Lee Jae Hwan, Master Lee’s son.” It made the man freeze the swing before looking at Jae Hwan who kept an expressionless face.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Jung Taek Woon. The son assigned for the marriage.” Jae Hwan paled badly but he still shook his hand with Taek Woon, offering a sincere small smile. “You have a beautiful smile.”

Hyuk stood behind Hong Bin, shaking suddenly for a moment, before running away. Jae Hwan looked at him running away before smiling to Taek Woon. “Nice to meet you, I’m glad you came to me before the clan’s decision.” He looked at Hong Bin. “Thank you for trying, Hong Bin.”

“Jae Hwan…” Hong Bin tried to find words but he looked away, hurt written in his face. “I’ll let you talk.” Hong Bin ran to find his friend, which wasn’t easy. The man went to the cave, hiding in a corner. “I had to use my hunting abilities to find you.”

“ off.” Hyuk hissed, and he seemed like he cried enough. “Leave me alone.”

“Why are you so broken? Nothing is decided yet.” Hong Bin noticed Hyuk hiding in a dark corner. “Hyuk…”

“You saw how he reacted when he knew Jae Hwan was the headmaster’s son. He wanted someone equal to him in status too! You are no match!” Hyuk sobbed. “God, why didn’t I think of it? huh? If I did, maybe I would have held myself from loving him so much.” Hong Bin pulled his friend into a tight hug. “Leave me alone, Hong Bin. I need it, please.”

“Even if I go, know that I am always here for you.” Hong Bin said with a sad tone. He didn’t like to see his friend hurt. “I won’t give up trying to help you out.” He left the place without waiting for an answer and headed to the ballroom, after fixing his suit of course, and eyed the ballroom when a hand caressed his back.

“Mind to join me for a dance?” the request wasn’t a shock, but the requester instead made Hong Bin break into cold sweat.Taek Woon stood behind Hong Bin, hovering over him with intensity. Hong Bin didn’t even move his lips and he was pulled to the dance floor where everybody enjoyed a waltz. Nobody seemed surprised to see Hong Bin with a man, he was known for his irresistibility, but the headmasters had observed the scene with surprise written openly in their faces. “Jae Hwan seems to admire you.”

“He had something to admire me for.” Hong Bin teased tiredly. He didn’t even try to smile properly. “And you seem to appreciate the situation.”

“Do you believe in reincarnation?” The question took Hong Bin off guard and his expression fell. “I’ve seeing my beloved first partner in people’s eyes… and suddenly Jae Hwan happened.” It made Hong Bin pause, looking at Taek Woon’s dark orbs, with a sudden raising anger. Frowning deeply, Hong Bin left the ballroom, making people pause to look with shock at Hong Bin’s rude attitude. He left a guest in the ballroom, a chuckling guest, which was a first! Never did he ditch a guest in front of his headmaster before. Pissed and angry to dizziness, Hong Bin went to the backyard, where Jae Hwan was still.

“What did he told you?” Jae Hwan didn’t even look up and heavy tears fell down. “Jae Hwan! For god sake! What did he tell you?”

“That I’m what he looked for.” Jae Hwan said with a hurt expression. “He had set his mind on marrying me even before meeting me, Hong Bin. He knew that the headmaster had a son and didn’t want to take someone with less position.”

“But… You love Hyuk.” Hong Bin’s voice wavered. “He loves you too.” Jae Hwan stood to give Hong Bin a shaken cold shoulder. “He refused to give up on you despite how unreachable you are, doesn’t that count?”

“It does but Dad is the one who will decide on the matter.” Jae Hwan said coldly. “and I doubt my father will let me marry someone like Hyuk.” Hong Bin’s throat got tighter.

“You know… you know why I rarely have partners? Because I keep seeing a specific set of eyes whenever I have with them… and those eyes belonged to someone you may never believe me if I told you his name.” Jae Hwan looked at him, expressionlessly. “I’ve been looking for him, through the generations, and he ended up being the one set to wed you.” Jae Hwan looked at him in shock and then looked at someone behind but Hong Bin didn’t seem to notice. “I didn’t think he is the one I was looking for but then he said he had seen his beloved incarnation in people’s eyes until he met you. Why you? I waited for him but he was meant for you.”

“What do you want me to do then?” Hong Bin looked down, suddenly too shaken to stand still. “What do you want me to do, Hong Bin? If dad set his mind on marrying…”

“Refuse. Please, for me and for Hyuk, refuse.” Hong Bin hugged himself, as a sudden freezing sensation wrapped his heart, and he felt dizzy. Arms held him but he was too dizzy to notice to whom it belonged. “Please…”

“When was the last time you did drink blood?” Jae Hwan’s voice seemed far and worrying. “Tell me.”

“Yesterday, I guess.” Hong Bin admitted before resting his head on a shoulder. “I feel so weak suddenly. It’s not normal.” He was taken to the nursery, where he slept.

When he woke up, Hyuk was sitting in a chair by his side, looking more drained than Hong Bin ever saw him. “Hyuk.”

Hyuk offered a cup of blood to Hong Bin, without a word. “How do you feel?”

“Better.” Hong Bin offered a sincere smile, before holding Hyuk’s hand. “How do you feel?” Hyuk closed his eyes and nodded. “I’m sorry, Hyuk.”

“You have no reason to be sorry, Hong Bin.” Hyuk said, offering a bright yet tired smile. “Your situation matters more.”

“Did they announce the wedding’s date?” Hyuk nodded. “When?”

“Once you get better.” Hong Bin frowned. “That Taek Woon guy chose you.” The shock made Hong Bin cough in shock. “Easy, dude.”

“But… why do you look like someone killed your cat?” Hong Bin asked him, avoiding to think of anything about marriage or that man. “What happened between you and Jae Hwan?”

“Headmaster got a hold of us… well, he discovered that I love him but Jae Hwan didn’t answer when the man asked him if he loved me back… and we are ignoring each other since. In fact, I’ll go with you to the new clan, as the orders were as such.” Hong Bin flinched before pulling Hyuk closer to a hug. The man hugged him and sighed deeply. “Maybe I was the only one in love.”

“Hyuk…” Hong Bin didn’t have time to say anything as the headmaster got in with Jae Hwan. Hyuk stood aside. “Master, I… I heard I was chosen for the arranged marriage.”

“Yes, you were. Both I and Taek Woon ssi found you suitable for the position.” The man said with a smile. “He said that your manners, your sense of etiquette and your charms are what he needed in his partner.” It made him tense, terribly. “However, I want your consent on it.”

“I am consent on one condition, sir.” The headmaster seemed expecting it. “Hyuk must stay with me forever, not just as assistant.” Hyuk looked at Hong Bin who looked at Jae Hwan.

“In such case, the only way to bring him back to his clan is to marry him to a member of the clan.” The headmaster spoke before nodding. “I accept your condition.” Jae Hwan gasped, nearly objecting but he couldn’t voice a word. “Mr. Han, please pack for you and Mr. Hong Bin. The wedding will be in your new clan.” Hyuk’s eyes were already full of tears as he walked out of the room while Jae Hwan tried to remain calm. “Please, make sure some guards are ready to Hong Bin and Mr. Han to their new home. I don’t want us to end up in conflicts with the other clan.” Jae Hwan nodded and left.  “I hope you know what you are doing.”

“Saving my friend from permanent pain.” Hong Bin admitted with a smile noticing the headmaster’s skeptical expression. “Would it be bad if your son loved someone in the clan?”

“I don’t think so… but he has to have a bride that gives him a proper heir.” The man said, before offering a sincere smile of apology. “Unless he gives up on his statue of heir to someone else, of course, and we both know how much he worked to get it.” Little they knew that Jae Hwan heard it up, and stood there in daze before stepping back. “Anyway, the ceremony will be private, since both of you are men; it will go in the most traditional way among the clans, and will be registered in the Vampires tribunals. All you have to do is to go to your partner’s clan and honor your position.” Hong Bin nodded before sitting up.

“Then I have to be there as soon as possible?” Hong Bin got a nod. “I see. I’ll head there now if possible. The less we spend time in the clan, the sooner we will get used to it.” Hong Bin realized he never was so accurate about something until he left the house with Hyuk by his side. The man was shamelessly shedding tears by his side, even silently while Hong Bin held his hand, to show support, and kept his mouth shut. He had a lot to deal with and one of it was his new life with Jung Taek Woon. The man hunted his life in the shadows.

The said man was standing by the door, bowing and greeting the headmaster who got out from a separated car than theirs. Jae Hwan and Hyuk’s eyes met for a moment and the headmaster’s son noticed the pain and the sadness in them before looking back to his father. Meanwhile, Hong Bin and Taek Woon shared a respectful bow before they bowed to the headmasters. “Let the ceremony of mating begins.”

Hong Bin’s gut twisted as suddenly a blush crept on the man’s face, and he hoped he didn’t blush as much. Taek Woon held his hand, softly, before leading him to the room. The hold was firm but soft, as if Taek Woon tried to tell that even if he leaded the relationship, Hong Bin had the freedom to choose either to hold his hand or pull off. It made Hong Bin smile, happy to such consideration that eased his heart despite all the worries it buried. Indeed, a new life was opening up to me.

a/n: made it complete for now,but I will truly finish it properly because damn, I love the plot.