The apology

The dreaded marriage.

When Taek Woon got in the room, his father’s expression wasn’t pleasing. “Sit.” Taek Woon did as he was asked. “I got a glimpse of what you said to your partner, Lee Hong Bin.” The man stood up. “And I can’t deny I’m disappointed of you.”
Taek Woon paled. “I have no idea what I said. I was drunk.” The old man shook his head. “I apologized but Hong Bin refused it.”
“If I’m in his shoes, I won’t just refuse your apologies but I will also kill you.” The man growled. “Do you have any idea how high ranked that man is? He is the second generation of vampires in the whole Asia. He is even older than I.” Taek Woon couldn’t believe so. Hong Bin seemed more down to earth and lively for a three thousands year old vampire. “You are making our clan’s position really compromising. If ever the lee clan gets a glimpse of your attitude with the man, they will conceal the wedding and the deal.”
“I am sorry.” The old man glared at him. “I’m seriously sorry, father. I will try to fix it, as soon as possible.”
The man scoffed. “You better fix it son. A fight in the first day of the wedding is never good news.” The man leaned to look at Taek Woon right in the eyes. “If you fail this wedding, I’ll make sure you will suffer until your last breath.” The threatening tone was enough to make Taek Woon nod. “Go now.” The man went back to his office and Taek Woon fast made his way outside the room. He fast noticed how shaken he was.
He stood there, trying to breath, and once he calmed down, he searched for Hong Bin. The man was soon found in the bedroom, sitting there lifelessly. “Hong Bin…” The man looked at him and Taek Woon made sure he was sitting close enough to look at him right in the eyes. “What did I say to you that made you hurt yourself this way?” Hong Bin’s expression wore a heavy shock. “I seriously can’t remember what I said, and I am sorry. When I get drunk, I get mad and I don’t control my mouth.” His soft tone was soothing but Hong Bin’s face didn’t show the emotion Taek Woon expected.
Hong Bin showed outrage and humiliation. “You didn’t just say something to me, Mr. Jung. You humiliated me.” Hong Bin hissed, his eyes getting filled with tears. “I didn’t live my life to end up as your slave…”
“ slave?” Taek Woon pushed himself away, shocked. “I said that?” Hong Bin turned to look away. “I would never do that, Hong Bin. The marriage is not about in first place.” Hong Bin didn’t know why it did hurt even more to hear so. “Our wedding should mirror the arrangement between our clans, to express how we all want it: Peaceful, respectful, and happy.” Taek Woon made Hong Bin look at him. “This is what I want to offer you, Hong Bin, and I don’t truly see you any less than a respectful, charming, sophisticated, and strong person.”
Hong Bin stood suddenly, holding breath and looking away. Taek Woon sat there, waiting for him to calm down and speak up. “I want to sleep in a separate room.”
It shocked Taek Woon for a moment, but he realized he probably spoke in a very humiliating manner so Hong Bin won’t forgive him easily. “I understand. After what I said, I bet you don’t want to be in the same room as me but… I beg you…” Taek Woon never begged before, and it nearly made him kick a wall. “I beg you to not give up on me now. It’s a mistake and I’ll pay my life for it but please, Hong Bin.” Hong Bin wanted to snap but he decided to not to. Nodding, he tried to avoid Taek Woon when the man hugged him.
It brought them a sudden memory, a moment Taek Woon was sure he never lived. He and Hong Bin were hugging in the middle of a yellow corn field, while they could hear people yelling. The smell of smoke nearly choked them as they parted and looked at each other in shock. “You saw that?” Hong Bin nodded. “This is strange…” Taek Woon held Hong Bin’s hand. “Come. You need fresh air, and the night is beautiful.”
Hong Bin didn’t say a word until they were out and he noticed swings. Taek Woon pulled him to a swing. “Sit, I’ll push you instead.” Hong Bin stood behind the swing as Taek Woon sat on. “You seem to like swings.”
“Mom used to take me here, she would read while swinging while I push her from behind.” Taek Woon’s tone seemed sad. “But she fell sick like most of the female vampires in the last few years.”
Hong Bin stopped the swing and sat by Taek Woon’s side. “Mrs. Lee is still battling between death and life as we speak. The virus that attacked our specie is really specific.” They looked at each other. “This is why I brought Sang Hyuk here. His sister died from the virus three years ago, his parents ran to another country while he stayed in our clan… for his first and last love.”
Taek Woon said nothing as he looked away. “He’s so lucky… to have you.” Hong Bin looked at him surprised. “I am not good at making friends.”
“Me neither, but he was a pain in the . I ended up considering him as a best friend against my will.” Hong Bin chuckled. “He is also a passionate reader, like me.”
“Oh. I read too.” Taek Woon stood. “Come, let me show you our glorious library.” It pulled Hong Bin on his feet as he rushed to Taek Woon’s side. “We have all kind of books, from fiction to no fiction, passing by textbooks and all kind of written knowledge.” Hong Bin’s eyes shone and his jaw dropped as they got in a dungeon, totally decorated to fit millions of books and cozy couches. “I slept here most of my childhood.”
“I’d exchange my lived years to be born here.” It made Taek Woon chuckle as Hong Bin headed to the fictions, and he observed as the man took a book and smelled it. “Damn it, it smells so good.”
“Do you want me to bring something for you to drink?” Taek Woon tore Hong Bin out of his daze and the man shook his head. “I will leave you read at your ease.”
“Stay if you want.” Hong Bin nearly regretted saying so but Taek Woon went far than his section, picking a book before falling comfortably in a couch. He didn’t say anything as he started reading so Hong Bin dared to sit in the opposite couch, holding the book he first grabbed. They sat facing each other and they both subtly looked at each other from time to time as they read their books.
“Is it good?” Sang Hyuk’s voice made Hong Bin look up from his book to smile to the man who made a spot by his side. “I’m bored.” Hong Bin chuckled.
“You are always bored. Where is Hak Yeon?” Sang Hyuk sighed. “What?”
Sang Hyuk looked up. “He and his boyfriend ditched me to make out… and I don’t know.” Hong Bin pulled Sang Hyuk closer. “I miss him.” Sang Hyuk’s voice broke and Hong Bin nodded, patting on his back. Sang Hyuk hadn’t notice Taek Woon and Hong Bin forgot he was there. The man observed the best friends, a sudden jealousy kicking in. “Can’t we go and visit our clan?”
“Maybe we can. I should ask Taek Woon about it.” Hong Bin looked to the couch and he noticed the burning gaze coming from Taek Woon, which he truly tried to ignore. “Can we visit our old clan?”
Taek Woon kept his gaze on Hong Bin for a moment. “Yes, it is possible, but not now. It will be odd if we visit in our fifth day as husbands.” It made Hong Bin feel weird. It had been five days and it felt like years in his head. They fell into a heavy silence after that. Sang Hyuk had fallen asleep, in his position, while Hong Bin kept reading and Taek Woon kept glaring at the scene. “Does he have to be this close to you?”
Hong Bin looked down to Sang Hyuk than up to Taek Woon. “You should learn to control your jealousy, dear husband. He is my best friend and he will never be something more.” Hong Bin smiled, but Taek Woon didn’t seem to ease.
“Seeing him like this with you boil my veins.” Taek Woon admitted.
“Hearing you saying I am only here to open my legs for you boiled mine.” Hong Bin spoke in a calm manner. “Yet, I didn’t say anything.” It was enough to make Taek Woon huff and walk out of the library. Hong Bin fixed Sang Hyuk’s position and spent the night reading.
In the morning, Taek Woon got in, finding Sang Hyuk snuggling his husband who seemed too caught in his book to notice. “Good morning.” Taek Woon tried to speak normally but it left his lips like a hiss. “Breakfast is served.” Hong Bin slapped Sang Hyuk’s arm, surprising both Hyuk and Taek Woon.
“Go eat your breakfast.” He flipped the page as he spoke to Hyuk when the man snatched the book away. “Hey! Give me that back.” Sang Hyuk ran behind Taek Woon.
“Not until you eat too!” Taek Woon held Hong Bin’s arms as Sang Hyuk did put the book away and ran out of the library.
“I’m going to kill him!” Hong Bin struggled. “Han Sang Hyuk you better get your back here! HAN SANG HYUK!” Taek Woon held Hong Bin tighter as the last struggled to free himself. “Let me go.”
“Stop.” Taek Woon’s tone made Hong Bin stop and he looked up to meet Taek Woon’s expression. “Please stop.” Hong Bin sighed and nodded. He stood there, as he faced Taek Woon who kept looking at him strangely. Taek Woon himself didn’t know why he was feeling like that. They stood there for a moment before Taek Woon stepped back, nearly leaving the piece.
“Is it really hurting you that I’m that close to Sang Hyuk?” Taek Woon looked over Hong Bin with an expressionless face. “Why?”
Taek Woon didn’t answer at it, as he pondered for a moment, but he soon found one reason between many that he could share. “Because I don’t get as equally much care as he does… from you or any one in general.” Hong Bin didn’t know how to react to that, so he kept his mouth shut. Taek Woon left the room, and Hong Bin stayed there until Hak Yeon showed up.
“Hyuk looked for you; he thought you will be in the dining hall.” Hak Yeon soon noticed Hong Bin expression. “What is it?”
“Doesn’t Taek Woon have friends?” The question didn’t surprise Hak Yeon but the tone.
“No one, unless I’m mistaken. Taek Woon is not good with words so he is usually alone, either reading or in the swings, or he is with his father, working on helping him. Why?”
“He said he wished he could get a friend like I’m to Hyuk.” Hong Bin diverted the facts but it was nearly the same. “Do you think I should treat him like I do to Sang Hyuk? Will it make him … less tense around me?”
Hak Yeon didn’t expect the question. “Mr. Hong Bin, with all the respect I due to you, he is your husband, treating him with love and care must be the first thing to offer, but not as much as you give to Hyuk… probably a little more. Hyuk have us too.”
Hong Bin realized Hak Yeon was right. It was his duty to befriend his husband and learn to like him. “You are right. I didn’t realize that much. After all, it is all new to me.” Hong Bin walked out of the room, went to get some blood and went to the swings were he found Taek Woon. “I’m sorry.”
Taek Woon looked up, startled before looking away. “For what?”
“For being bad at this.” Hong Bin sighed. “I didn’t truly learn to be social despite all my tries, all this years.”
“I heard you slept with countless women.” Taek Woon blushed at his remark while Hong Bin chuckled.
“No, just seventy times.” Hong Bin admitted. “I’m not that old, you know. Just two thousands nine hundred twenty six years old, I’m considered as a thirty years old vampire now.” Taek Woon gaped at Hong Bin who looked away. “Even if, I barely interacted with any of them… well, I would live enough to see them fade, and once a girl dies, I meet another one. One every generation. I never made effort… to live with one of them forever.”
“Why?” Taek Woon’s expression was full of curiosity, looking like a lost kitten which made Hong Bin nearly squeal. He looked away blushing before looking back to Taek Woon.
“I waited for you.” At that confession, Hong Bin walked away, turning crimson. He hates how his face betrays him when he is freshly fed. Meanwhile, Taek Woon felt so bubbly he wished he could just hold the man and kiss him, yet Hong Bin was long gone and he sat there, swinging with a grin plastered in his face.