I Wonder How We Got This Far

Bartender

After a week Chanyeol was happy to see the bruises on his face start to fade. They went from being horribly black and purple to slightly green to now a fading yellow. Thanks to Baekhyun Chanyeol had been able to cover his bruises the first couple of days but when Suho noticed the make up he had to come clean. He had suffered an immense amount of teasing but at least his bruises weren’t as bad anymore. He gave himself one more look over in the mirror before he headed out of the bathroom. He felt a little excited as he put his shoes on. Tonight he would be going on a date with Baekhyun. They hadn’t been on one for awhile. They hung out at each other's houses all the time but they hadn’t really gone out.

 

It was a simple date. They were gonna go to a new restaurant Baekhyun had heard about and then to a bar that Chanyeol knew had a great night life. Chanyeol had been lucky enough to get the night off since the new guy at work had been willing to cover his shift. The guy was three years younger than Chanyeol and a complete clutz, but after Chanyeol took him under his wing the guy showed immense improvement. It had taken a lot of patience but Chanyeol was happy to help. Plus having this new guy meant he’d be able to switch schedules. He only hoped that the kid didn't get into to much trouble without him there.

 

As he made his way to the car he pulled out his phone to text Baekhyun that he was on his way. Right as he was putting on his seat belt he heard his phone ring. Assuming it was Baekhyun he answered right away.

 

“Hey babe I’m-” Chanyeol had started to say when he heard gagging noises on the other end

 

“Eww yeah no, not you babe.” a familiar voice interrupted. Chanyeol’s eyes widened and felt a little embarrassed.

 

“Suho???” he asked

 

“Yes lover boy it's Suho.”

 

“Uhhh what's up boss man?” Chanyeol asked grateful Suho hadn’t some more but also wary because it was never a good thing when Suho called on his nights off.

 

“I need you to come in.” Suho said getting straight to the point. Chanyeol was definitely not surprised but was absolutely annoyed.

 

“Whaat?? Oh come on Suho I can’t.”

 

“Please Chanyeol! Junior here can’t handle it on his own. He already broke two glasses. And it's Friday you know how busy it gets.” Suho pleaded.

 

Chanyeol cursed under his breath. Baekhyun was definitely gonna kill him. With a sigh he told Suho he’d get to work in 20 minutes. When he hung up he called Baekhyun. Baekhyun picked up on the third ring.

 

“Wow that was fast. I’ll be down in a minute.” Baekhyun said sounding excited.

 

“Wait Baek. I’m not there yet.” Chanyeol replied feeling extremely guilty.

 

“Oh then what’s up?” Baekhyun asked confused

 

“I’m gonna have to cancel.” Chanyeol replied wincing with just imagining how Baekhyun would look if he had told him in person

 

“What? Why?” Baekhyun asked sounding angry. Yup Chanyeol was so dead.

 

“Suho just called me. Says he needs me because the newbie apparently can’t handle it.” Chanyeol said with a sigh

 

“Are you serious?!”

 

“I know I’m so sorry”

 

“Okay but why didn’t he call someone else like Jaehyo?” Baekhyun asked

 

“Because he’s probably already there.” Chanyeol replied.

 

“He needs to hire more people.” Baekhyun grumbled.

 

Chanyeol chuckled, “Yeah I know but hey I’ll make it up to you.”

 

“No it’s fine.” Baekhyun said but his voice made it sound like it was absolutely not okay.

 

“Don’t be mad Baek.” Chanyeol whined. He knew it couldn’t be helped but he still hoped the other wouldn’t get mad at him.

 

“I’m not mad.” Baekhyun quickly replied.

 

“You sure?” Chanyeol probed once more.

 

“Yes Chanyeol I’m sure. Shouldn’t you get going?” Baekhyun replied a little annoyed. Chanyeol couldn’t blame him though. If Baekhyun had been the one to cancel on him he would have felt more than a little disappointed too.

 

“Yeah yeah I guess. Hey look next time Suho calls I won't answer.” Chanyeol said hoping to get a laugh out of the other.

 

Baekhyun chuckled, “I doubt it but okay. Have fun at work.”

 

“Alright. I’ll call you tomorrow maybe we can get breakfast or whatever.” Chanyeol said hopeful. Tonight was ruined, but he would definitely try to make tomorrow better.

 

“Sounds good. Good night.”

 

“Night.” Chanyeol said solemnly before hanging up. He ran a hand through his hair in thought before deciding to just go to work. He always had a spare black t-shirt so he wouldn’t have to go all the way back to his apartment just to get changed.

 

He pulled up to SKY 20 minutes later as promised and let out a tired sigh. The place was absolutely packed. He could mope but he decided to look on the brightside and think of all the money he’d make tonight. Maybe he could take some vacation days and take Baekhyun on a trip. They could go to Busan or Seoul. Or maybe they could even go to Jeju. Chanyeol smiled to himself liking the thought of going to Jeju. He’d only been there once when he was a kid. He didn't really remember what they had gone for but it had been fun. He walked to the back and hung up his jacket. He looked around hoping to find Suho but instead he found Changkyun.

 

“You made it!” Changkyun cheered. Chanyeol rolled his eyes at the younger.

 

“What the man? I thought you said you had it down.” Chanyeol said voice light.

 

Changkyun nervously chuckled and scratched the back of his head. “I thought I did but I’ve never worked with such a loud crowd. I got nervous. Broke a couple of glasses….which made me more nervous and-”

 

“It’s fine kid. Just breathe. And pay attention to how I do it so next time there won’t be a need to call me in.”

 

Changkyun nodded, “Of course oh and I’m sorry for ruining your date…”

 

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at him and lifted an eyebrow at the younger.

 

At this Changkyun blushed and then stammered, “I-I-umm Suho t-told me.”

 

Of course Suho told him. Chanyeol shook his head before placing a hand on Changkyun’s shoulder, “Come on kid let's get to work.”

 

It was two hours into his shift when Chanyeol got a space to breathe. The crowd had died down considerably. Everyone had a drink and looked relaxed. People were dancing, chatting, flirting, drinking, all the normal things that happen at a bar like Sky. He was wiping down the counter when Changkyun suddenly appeared next to him calling his name excitedly.

 

He looked at Changkyun bobbing his head to say what’s up.

 

“You have to see the hot guys that just got here!”

 

“Umm you do know I’m in relationship right?” Chanyeol said with a smile. He was sure if Baekhyun had heard him he would have been very proud. His friends on the other hand would have roasted him for the next hundred years

 

“Oh come on, I just want you to see them. Acknowledging that someone is attractive doesn’t mean you’re cheating.” Changkyun pleaded.

 

“They better be as hot as you say they are otherwise I’m gonna make you clean the whole bar area by yourself.” Chanyeol warned.

 

Changkyun gave him a bright smile, “You got it.”

 

Chanyeol followed Changkyun a short distance towards the end of the bar. He looked to Changkyun who was squinting into the crowd trying to find the two guys. When he did he pointed them out subtly enough that only Chanyeol would know what was going on. Chanyeol followed the direction and found the two figures. They were alone it seemed but all Chanyeol could see was the sides of their faces partially. Even with that there was something oddly familiar about both of them. Maybe they were regulars?

 

“Do you think I have a shot with the darker haired one?” Changkyun asked hopeful.

 

Chanyeol stared at the one Changkyun was interested in and gasped. The other male had turned giving Chanyeol a better look at his face. Of course this person was familiar. Knowing who it was made it so much easier to identify the other male that was with him.

 

“Yeah I don’t think you have a chance at all.” Chanyeol said skeptically.

 

“What? Really? Okay what about the one with lighter hair.” Changkyun asked obviously hoping he could at least get to know one of the two guys.

 

Chanyeol shook his head no keeping his lips pressed together in an effort to keep from laughing.

 

“Aww come on Chanyeol help me get their numbers. I swear I’ll cover your shifts whenever you want. I’ll even help close up tonight that way you can go home. Please?”

Chanyeol pretended to think about it. This was all too amusing. Being the that he was he decided to go with it.

 

Right when he was about to say he’d help Changkyun cut him off.

 

“Oh they're walking over.”

 

Chanyeol turned to look and sure enough the two guys were making their way towards them. Both of them were truly good looking but the brunet was definitely Chanyeol's type. He smiled brightly as they came closer and he could see a smile on the brunet's lips as well.

 

“Hellooo what can I get you two.” Changkyun greeted once both men were in front of them.

 

The light haired one smiled brightly before turning towards Chanyeol, “What are you trying to show off to newbie over here that you can’t say hi?”

 

Changkyun threw Chanyeol a confused look.

 

“Of course not. How’s it going Luhan?” Chanyeol greeted enjoying the way Changkyun’s eyes widened in surprise.

 

“Pretty good. Isn’t it Baek?”

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol smile lingering on his lips, “I guess. So, bartender what do you recommend?”

 

“It depends on what type of night you want to have.” Chanyeol replied leaning onto the counter.

 

“Do you have anything that can help me forget I have an idiot for a boyfriend?” Luhan asked. From the corner of his eye Chanyeol could see the pout on Changkyuns face.

 

“I might have some ideas. Changkyun you got any suggestions?”

 

Changkyu’s eyes widened but he quickly composed himself,” I’d say to get peach or lime daiquiri.”

 

“Hmmm a daiquiri sounds good make us two peach ones.” Baekhyun said smiling at Changkyun. Chanyeol tried his best again to not laugh when he noticed the blush blooming on Changkyuns cheeks. Poor kid. He knew what it was like to have those smiles directed at him. They were quiet disarming.

 

Changkyun got to work making a show of preparing the drinks obviously trying to impress Luhan and Baekhyun.

“So what brings you guys here tonight?” Changkyun asked as he handed them the drinks.

 

“My friend Luhan here got in a fight with his moronic boyfriend so I decided to treat him out.” Baekhyun replied taking a sip from his drink while Luhan nodded along.

 

“What did Sehun do now?” Chanyeol asked genuinely curious.

 

“He got a call from this one place and I answered because he was in the kitchen. When I asked him who it was he wouldn’t tell me. I got angry because this isn’t the first time he’s gotten random calls and not told me who they are. He tells me everything. But he's just been so off lately and we just keep fighting.” Luhan said with a sad sigh.

 

“Ohh thats not good I would never treat a pretty thing like you like that.” Changkyun flirted. Luhan and Baekhyun laughed. Chanyeol couldn’t help but nod in approval. The kid had spunk.

 

“Oh man if I had maybe two more daiquiris in me and I wasn’t hopelessly in love I would have totally gone for you.” Luhan replied with a wink.

 

“Please tell me this isn’t something Chanyeol here has taught you.” Baekhyun said still laughing.

 

“Uhh no he didn’t.” Changkyun said embarrassment clear in his voice

 

“Good. I was starting to worry he’d lost his edge.” Baekhyun said while looking at Chanyeol.

 

“Aww come on you of all people should know I’m still a great flirt.” Chanyeol replied wiggling his eyebrows at Baekhyun.

 

Luhan scoffed at that, “Please your game went away as soon as you started dating.”

 

“Daaaamn. Hey Chanyeol I really need to meet this boyfriend of yours. I want to meet the man that was able to make you lose your game and not even want to acknowledge looking at others.”

 

Baekhyun laughed merrily before saying, “Guilty”

 

Changkyun laughed but then his eyes widened in realization. “Wait! Wait wait….you’re telling me you’re Chanyeol's boyfriend?!”

 

“Yup, Changkyun meet my boyfriend Baekhyun.”

 

“A little late on the introductions don’t you think.” Luhan said before taking a sip of his drink.

 

Chanyeol shrugged .

 

“I cannot believe you!” Changkyun whinned.

 

Baekhyun and Luhan both gave them curious looks.

“He’s just mad because I said I’d help him get either one of your numbers” Chanyeol explained.

 

“Wow Chanyeol you’ve been around Baek too much. Thats so mean.” Luhan said smiling over at Changkyun. “Hey kid, know for a fact if I wasn’t in a committed relationship I would have given you my number.”

 

“Actually Luhan he wanted Baek’s specifically.”

 

“Oh my god!” Changkyun whined in embarrassment.

 

“Oh then nevermind.” Luhan said with a shrug.

 

“Huh. I probably wouldn't have given it to you.” Baekhyun said straight out. Making Chanyeol chortle.

 

“Ouch.” Luhan said while Changkyun pressed his lips into a firm line.

 

“Not anything against you. I’m sure you can be real charming and if you work on your flirting technique you can definitely become the new Chanyeol”

 

“Not that it was my flirting that got you to date me.” Chanyeol replied.

 

“Yeah true. Flirty bartenders aren’t my type”

 

Changkyun looked uncomfortable before asking, “Wait so if flirty bartenders aren’t your type how did you end up with Chanyeol? I mean I’ve seen him working and he’s so good at it and Suho has even told me.”

 

“That is a story for another time, my child. We have customers to attend to.” Chanyeol said patting Changkyuns shoulder.

 

Baekhyun laughed and rolled his eyes, “We’ll come hang out later.” He said before hooking his arm into Luhan's and leading them to a table.

 

Once they were alone Changkyun threw Chanyeol a dejected look, “I thought we were friends.”

 

“We are.” Chanyeol replied innocently before wiping down the counters.

 

The night went on with both Chanyeol and Changkyun keeping busy. Suho stopped in randomly to see how things were going and would leave to the back and do whatever it was he did. Chanyeol would occasionally glance towards Baekhyun's table making sure his boyfriend was having a good time (and not getting hit on). People kept coming and going but thankfully Changkyun didn’t break anymore glassware. At one point in the night out of boredom Changkyun decided to make a competition out of who could get the most tips. The poor naive soul of course lost.

 

“It's not fair! You waited on a group of ten people and most of them knew you!”

 

“Hey, you didn’t set any rules. Don’t complain.”

 

“Just give me a month. Watch it’s gonna be me making all that money.”

 

“Alright kid whatever lets you sleep at night.”

 

Changkyun was going to reply but right before he could speak they heard loud cheering. Both of them turned to the direction of the noise and Chanyeol's heart nearly stopped. Next to him Changkyun hollard enthusiastically.

 

Surrounded by a group of people were Luhan and Baekhyun dancing sinfully on the tables. How this could have happened Chanyeol had no idea. He swore he had seen them earlier still pretty sober. When had they gotten drunk enough to dance on tables?

 

“Oh hell no!” Suho said somewhere behind him. Chanyeol turned to look at his boss with an apologetic shrug.

 

“You’re boyfriend needs to stop doing this type of . Go get him down from there.” Suho ordered.

 

“You’re boyfriend does this often?” Changkyun asked in amazement making Chanyeol wince.

 

“No. It's just this is the second time this has happened.” Chanyeol explained staring out into the crowd and watching a very familiar scene. He smiled to himself as he remembered that night. But Changkyun’s voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

 

“Damn, he a freak.” Changkyun said enthusiastically.

 

“Do you want to get fired?” Chanyeol asked glaring at Changkyun.

 

“No.” Chankyun replied instantly shrinking away from Chanyeol.

 

“Then shut up.”

 

“So you gonna go get him down or?” Changkyun asked nervously after a short awhile.

 

“Didn’t I tell you to shut up?” Chanyeol said annoyed beyond belief. With a sigh he pulled out his phone and dialed Sehun's number. To his relief Sehun answered right away and said he’d be here in a few minutes. Chanyeol took a deep breath before hopping over the counter and heading over to where Luhan and Baekhyun were dancing.

 

He fought his way through the rowdy crowd wondering again how the those two had gotten so drunk. Luckily Baekhyun spotted him and stopped dancing which forced Luhan to stop to.

 

“You! Bartender guy! Get me another drink.” Baekhyun yelled pointing a finger directly at him.

 

Well . “Baek come on get down from there. This isn’t safe.”

 

Baekhyun crossed his arms in front of his chest and glared at him or at least that's what Chanyeol thought he was trying to do because it looked more like he was squinting at him. “You can’t tell me what to do. Watch I’m gonna tell my boyfriend and he's friends with the manager and then they’re gonna fire you.”

 

“Babe I am your boyfriend.”

 

Baekhyun blinked at him before his eyes widened. “Ohhhh.”

 

“Yeah so are you coming down or do I have to force you down.”

 

Baekhyun contemplated it for a second before shaking his head no. “I want to dance. I don't want to come down. And Lulu doesn't either. Right Lu?”

 

Luhan of course shook his head no and giggled cutely. Chanyeol really needed Sehun here because he was in no way shape or form ready to deal with that.

 

“Baek if you come down I’ll make you a blue motherer. How does that sound?”

 

Baekhyun thought about it before shrugging and jumping off the table. Chanyeol was quick in semi catching him and straightening him out so he could find his balance. Seeing Baekhyun off the table Luhan followed suit except he landed on Sehun who magically appeared at the right time. The crowd dispersed and Chanyeol let out a breath.

 

“So where's my drink?” Baekhyun asked blinking tiredly. Chanyeol was overwhelmed with how cute Baekhyun looked he couldn't stop himself from kissing him. Baekhyun returned the kiss sloppily but hummed in satisfaction.

 

 

His night didn't end there though. Nope. The night truly ended when Chanyeol had finally gotten Baekhyun and himself into bed only for the shorter to throw up all over the floor and then proceed to pass out. It was then that Chanyeol realized that this had to be love as he smiled fondly at Baekhyun's face cleaning him off before cleaning up his floor.

 

Ummmm....? Have some domestic type things....lol I hope you guys like it! Thank you all for subscribbing commenting and upvoting even just silently reading!  It is highly appreciated and I hope to see you all in the next chapter kthanksbye!