2015年11月01日

A Heart made of Millions

 

November 1st, 2015

 

The shrill alarm of Yixing’s clock woke them up at half past six in the morning. While Yixing just rolled over to silence the alarm with a practiced hand movement, Yifan almost jumped up with a shocked expression on his face.

 

“What the is this!” The prince exclaimed and held his hand over his chest to feel his racing heartbeat.

 

“My alarm clock, obviously,” Yixing yawned and turned around to face the other one.

 

“I almost died having a heart attack!”

 

“Don’t be so dramatic!” The younger one retorted and Yifan fell back into the pillows, scoffing at Yixing’s comment.

 

The morning routine of the journalist consisted of checking news and his Weibo feed in the first fifteen minutes after the alarm woke him usually up. And even with Yifan at his side, he didn’t break that ritual. His hand automatically grabbed his phone and unplugged it from the charger as he opened the news app he usually checked everything that’s been going on in the world over night. Yifan grunted and mumbled some weird sentences into his pillow which sounded like he didn’t approve of the fact that Yixing seemed to be more interested in his phone than in him. The younger one only rolled his eyes but then opened one arm to let Yifan huddle into his chest. His eyes didn't leave the display of his phone though. Turkey returns to single-party rule in boost for Erdogan. French president heading to China to promote climate talks. 'Martian' tops North American box office. The ugly, the scary, the creepy: Celebrations for Prince Wu Yifan's birthday start a week early and gather China's high society.

 

"Oooooh, check that article!" Yifan butted in and didn't even wait for Yixing to say anything and tapped the hyperlink of the headline.

 

"You were there, why would you even bother to check that gallery?" Yixing asked with a grunt as the pictures loaded.

 

"I'm just curious. Do you think they took pictures of us?"

 

"Highly unlikely because I spent eighty percent of the time hidden in a KTV room." Was what Yixing had to say about this and they watched as the first picture of the gallery appeared on the phone's display.

 

It showed Yili's Instagram update which was a selfie of her and her brother in their Halloween costumes. Yixing asked himself how she had actually managed to look like a Zombie had eaten off half her face and still look cute and stunning. This woman could hardly be human. Yixing swiped to the left and in the next picture, Yifan was shown with William and Dawei who had appeared in relatively uncreative Michael Myers costumes. Another swipe, and another celebrity smiled into the camera with Yifan. This concept remained present until the pictures of Yifan and the "lucky ones who had won an invitation" appeared and Yifan let out a whine. The picture showed him talking to one of the girls wearing a Catwoman costume who had linked her arm with Yifan's. The prince was obviously saying something into her ear as his face was turned away from the camera while she showed a toothed smile. The first comment Yixing saw said 'Okay but what is Zhang Yixing going to say when he sees his man flirting with another girl? Why wasn't he there to prevent this?'.

 

"Yes Yifan, what do you think I'm going to say about this?" He slipped and wanted to slap his own face for acting like this once again.

 

"Hey, I didn't go home with her, haven't I?"

 

"Wow. That is exactly what you SHOULDN'T say, Yifan!" Yixing cried out and pushed the older one off him.

 

The prince grunted while Yixing sat up straight to throw a sour look his way. Yifan blinked in confusion and watched how the younger one closed the news app and tossed his phone back onto the night desk.

 

"I really didn't flirt with her, Yixing."

 

"Yeah, whatever. Do you want to take a shower or something?" Yixing scoffed, being annoyed with himself for getting so petty at a simple picture.

 

Maybe that was mostly because that Catwoman had been a gorgeous girl. And Yixing knew he couldn't compare with gorgeous girls. There were enough things he couldn't offer as a biological man and he wasn't really sure how Yifan saw all of this - it could be possible that Yixing was just some sort of experiment and that mere thought was enough to leave a bitter taste on Yixing's tongue.

 

"Yixing, oh my god, aren't you the Media? You, out of all people, should know how pictures can look when they're taken out of context - take that OMG article where everybody thinks you were flirting with me at Disneyland while you actually told me to off!" Yifan cried out and grabbed Yixing's arm so he couldn't get up from the bed.

 

"Okay, so what was the context?" Yifan hesitated for five seconds at the question. Five seconds that were enough for Yixing to snort disdainfully and try to get rid of Yifan's hand holding him back. "Okay, don't even bother!"

 

"It's my father, okay?" The older one blurted out.

 

"What in god's name does your father have to do with you getting touchy with other women?"

 

Yifan let out a long groan and heaved a sigh before he sat up himself. He didn't even really bother when the blanket slid down his upper body and revealed his skin. Yixing's eyes tried to look at something else so he focused on a point at the wall behind the other one.

 

"My father came over yesterday," Yifan started his explanation, "And he never comes over to talk to me unless it's something urgent. 'Urgent' as in telling me that I have proven to be a disappointment once again. So when he came I just knew I ed up again in his eyes."

 

"No offense but that sounds like your father is a big reason why you went to rehab."

 

"Oh, that is exactly what my therapist has told me too," Yifan commented and shrugged his shoulders, "We really don't have a good relationship. I cannot remember him praising me ever. I think I haven't even gotten a hug once as a child."

 

He frowned as if thinking hard, but then he seemed to remember why he had started talking about the Emperor, shook his head to refocus and continued his explanation:

 

"Anyways, he came over to talk to me about 'recent happenings' and it took him like five minutes to finally cut to the chase and tell me that he has heard about the rumors regarding us two."

 

"Oh, so it took him almost a week to notice," Yixing said in such a sarcastic tone he made Yifan snort hard.

 

"Yeah, he's slow."

 

"Let me guess, he didn't really approve of anything he's read."

 

"Well... he didn't put it like this but he told me that he's wishing for everything to 'get back to normal after your birthday'. And my father doesn't wish for things. He commands them."

 

"He wants me gone, don't beat around the bush." Yixing stated and Yifan clicked his tongue.

 

The older one scooted over and threw his arms around Yixing before he put his head on his shoulder.

 

"Technically, he's wanted everyone in my life who's not related to me by blood gone, so..." Yifan's words were a weak source of comfort but Yixing stayed silent. The prince tightened his grip around the other's shoulders. "I just thought that if I let one of them dangle off my arm and someone took a picture of it they'd let you off the hook. Including my father. I really didn't flirt with her. Forgive me? Pretty please?"

 

Yixing sighed and felt how he grew weak again at Yifan's words, even though he really didn't want to. His father interfering should be taken as a sign to stop and deal with a minor collateral damage instead of risking a total write off if anything got noticed by the public. When Yixing still refused to answer, Yifan tried another small speech:

 

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? But I don't know how to deal with this any better than you probably do. I am horrible at handling the public attention. I just thought I'd give them something else to talk about, I left her alone the moment I realized someone had taken a picture. And to be very honest, after you left I wanted that party to be over as soon as possible. I just wanted to be with you."

 

"Why are you so stupid all of the time?!" Yixing whined and felt how Yifan smiled against his skin as he buried his face in the curve of the younger one's neck.

 

"Don't act like you don't like it."

 

"I should kick you out, and you know that!"

 

"Yet I'm still here."

 

"Yet you're still here," Yixing echoed while he shivered under Yifan's touch, "I hate myself."

 

There was another alarm going off in the room next to them and they heard Luhan grunt in annoyance. Hearing his roommate shuffle around behind the wall next to them made Yixing realize he still had to go to work somehow.

 

", I need to take a shower before Luhan blocks the bathroom for an hour."

 

"Why? We're supposed to arrive at the hotel around ten."

 

The next bigger event was a brunch with the royal family and friends held at the Yi House Art Hotel which was closed to the public. Yixing was actually one of the only two journalists that were allowed to enter, but Yixing had the feeling that he was only on the list because Yifan wanted him to be there, not necessarily to do his job.

 

"We have a weekly meeting at nine, I can't miss that. Just imagine: There are people with actual jobs in this world!"

 

Yifan rolled his eyes and let Yixing finally go. He got up himself and put on the pants he had been wearing at his arrival and said:

 

"But you're coming, right?"

 

"Yes, I'll catch up. I'll leave the office right after the meeting."

 

This statement seemed to pacify the prince and he threw his shirt over his head. While he fumbled his arms through the sleeves he walked over to Yixing and kissed his forehead.

 

"I'll see you there, love. I'll walk myself out."

 

Yixing still followed him to the door though and right when they stepped out into the hallway, Luhan opened his door to go to the bathroom. When he saw Yifan, he threw him an angry look.

 

"Yixing, run for the shower, I'll distract him!"

 

Before Luhan could react, Yixing jumped into the bathroom - when he closed the door and locked it, he heard his roommate yell:

 

"Wu Yifan! You are so annoying how does Yixing put up with you?!"

 

"What can I say, Luhan - I have good arguments!"

"Yeah, I am very well aware of that."

 

"Anyways, Luhan, Yili wants you to tag along to my birthday party, are you interested?"

 

Luhan's screech drowned in the running water of the shower that Yixing stepped under. He washed his body and hair in an amazing speed because he knew Luhan didn't like to be kept waiting in the morning. When he stepped out, Luhan just gave him a judging look while pushing himself past his friend.

 

"You're lucky I'm too tired to hit you!"

 

"I love you, Luhan!" Yixing chirped but fled the scene as soon as he heard Luhan mumble something like 'I'm going to kill your whole family!'.

 

 

Yixing made it in time to the office but barely followed the content of the meeting which somehow went unnoticed by his boss, but when she dismissed everyone, she told Yixing to stay. He swallowed hard, preparing himself for a scolding because he hadn't handed in any content of the party yesterday.

 

"Yixing, do you have time to talk for a few minutest?" Mrs. Wang asked and waved at the chair he had gotten up from to show him he should sit down again.

 

"Ummm, yeah, I was actually planning on going to that brunch thing..." He said but sat down again, because you just didn't disobey Mrs. Wang's orders.

 

"It won't take too long, I promise."

 

"If this is about the online entry about the Halloween party, I'm really sorry! I was having the worst migraine and left early, I promise to do a better job from now on!"

 

"Oh! No, no, relax, it's okay," she said and shook her head.

 

Yixing didn't quite understand and frowned as she heaved a heavy sigh. Then she folded her arms in front of her chest and looked straight at him.

 

"It's about Mr. Deng."

 

"Is he getting better?"

 

The look she gave him told him that his colleague wasn't getting better.

 

"I received a call from the hospital this morning. He's been getting chemo which has been working out to a certain degree, but he cannot afford further treatment because his insurance will not cover for him anymore."

 

"I'm... but... why would you get informed?"

 

"He doesn't have any family and listed me as the contact person," she answered and for the first time he knew her, a sad look flickered across her face.

 

The news sank in slowly and Yixing felt like someone had punched him in the guts. Mrs. Wang sat down next to him and handed over a piece of paper where she had written down some visitation information of the hospital Mr. Deng was staying at for his treatment.

 

"Maybe you want to tell the prince about it. Mr. Deng would appreciate it."

 

With a heavy heart, Yixing took the paper and nodded.

 

"I'll surely do."

 

"Thank you," she said softly and patted his hand, then she immediately snapped back into her business demeanor, "Now let's go to that brunch, I need some nice photos of the royal family!"

 

The Yi House Art Hotel was located in the art district of the city, which Yixing actually liked to frequent, but had barely found the time to do so in the last two months. When he strolled through the streets, he got reminded of the long days and nights he had spent here with his friends. He wasn't someone to understand art a lot, but he appreciated it and had even visited several vernissages before. When he arrived at the entrance of the lobby, it was almost quarter to twelve because the traffic had been hell once again. Yixing stepped into the building that was a weird fusion of classy luxury chic and hip art character. When the door opened, a young woman looked up from the counter and one of Yifan's bodyguards stood up from the chair he had been sitting on.

 

"Hello, Sir, may I help you?" The woman asked with a practiced smile as Yixing neared her.

 

"Hello, I just need to get to that brunch," Yixing said, "How do I get to the restaurant?"

 

"Of course, do you have an invitation?"

 

Her question threw Yixing off track. Of course he didn't have an invitation. He didn't need one, because he was usually around Yifan anyway. Yifan was his invitation in some sort of way.

 

"Umm... no?"

 

"I am sorry, but I am not allowed to let anyone in without an invitation."

 

Yixing exhaled a long breath and for a split second he wanted to ask her if she knew who was standing in front of her, like he was some super important person. The thought scared even himself and he tried to remind himself that this girl was just doing her job and obeyed orders.

 

"Okay, I'm surely on the guest list or something, maybe just check that?"

 

"Sure, what is your name, Sir?" She required and pulled out a long list of names.

 

Yixing saw the bodyguard nearing them and he got nervous.

 

"Umm, it's Zhang Yixing."

 

The staff looked at him for a second, but then got back to being professional. She flipped the pages to the section with names starting with Zhang. Then she took a long look at the listed names, even double checked, but finally said:

 

"I'm sorry Mr. Zhang but I cannot find your name on this list."

 

"Wait, but... no, that's impossible, just check again!"

 

The bodyguard had reached them and he asked:

 

"Is there a problem?"

 

"Yes, my name isn't on the list," Yixing said and somehow expected him to help him out here, but instead the man said:

"Well, then I guess you're not invited. I need you to leave the venue, Mr. Zhang."

 

"Wait, but...! Come on, you know me!"

 

"This does not change the fact that you're not on the list, I'm sorry."

 

Yixing was starstruck for a moment and his body only reacted again when the man gently but firmly grabbed his arm to get him out.

 

"That is ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous! Let me give Yifan a call!"

 

The bodyguard sighed but let him pull out his phone and call the prince. Yifan accepted the call on the second ring.

 

"Where are you? I'm dying of boredom here!" He whined into the phone.

 

"I'm already here, but I'm not allowed to get in!" Yixing said.

 

"Huh? That doesn't make any sense, I put you on the list!"

 

"No, I am not."

 

"... what? That is ridiculous! Lixun is downstairs, he knows you and can just let you in?"

 

"He is, in fact, trying to kick me out, so maybe just come downstairs and put your watchdog on a leash again?" Yixing spat out but regretted his words immediately as Lixun lifted one of his eyebrows.

 

"Oh my god, what is going on... I'm coming downstairs, wait for me."

 

"Sorry about that, I didn't mean to insult you," Yixing mumbled after he had put his phone back in his pocket and an awkward silence emerged between the three.

 

"It's okay, I've been called worse."

 

The joking comment didn't do much to lighten up the mood and Yixing felt like he had never been more happy to see Yifan coming out of the elevator. He had changed into a navy blue suit and had his hair pushed back, just like Yixing loved it most, but the younger one wasn't sure if Yifan was aware of that. When Yifan had caught up to them, he asked:

 

"So, what is going on here? Lixun, you know Yixing, why are you kicking him out?"

 

"My prince, I have the order to show everyone out who cannot show an invitation. Mr. Zhang doesn't have one," the bodyguard explained matter of factly, "Order of the Emperor."

 

Yifan looked at him as if he had lost his mind.

 

"My father, huh?" He scoffed and shook his head, "So are you serving him now or me?"

 

"I am just doing everything to ensure your safety, my prince."

 

"That is ing ridiculous, Yixing isn't a threat and you know that!"

 

Yixing heard Yifan's frustrated grunt and had to hide his victorious smile as Yifan grabbed his arm and told Lixun that he'd be taking it from here. Before Yifan led him to the elevator, he turned to the woman at the counter.

 

"Darling, can I take a look at your guest list for a moment?"

 

She was so shocked to be directly addressed by the prince, so she handed the papers without a word and a startled expression on her face. Yifan flipped through the pages and furrowed his eyebrows when he couldn't find Yixing's name.

 

"This is not the list I told my staff to send to you." He finally gave his statement and sent her a confused expression.

 

"I am so sorry, my prince, this is the list we've received this morning by a staff member of yours and I reckoned I use this one," she explained with a few bows.

 

Yixing didn't understand why, but Yifan bristled with anger and tossed the list onto the counter. When the woman behind it flinched at the move, he said:

"I am not angry at you, sorry. Thank you for telling me."

 

Then he pulled Yixing to the elevator and started to mutter some incoherent sentences under his breath.

 

"Yifan, what's going on?"

 

"That was my father!" The older one snapped, "He's doing this to keep you out! God! He is such a ing ! See? That's why we never get along, he always needs to control my life, it's so ing annoying!"

 

"Oh, ummm..." Yixing was so bummed he didn't know what to say about this.

 

When they got out of the elevator the buzzing from the party carried over from the restaurant to them. Yixing heard people clinking glasses and sharing laughs, accompanied with some classical music. It was surely everything Yifan hated combined in one big event.

 

"I will talk to him about this, don't worry," Yifan said and squeezed Yixing's hand, "I'm sorry this happened. Let's just get this over with, shall we?"

 

"Umm, actually I think I need to talk to you for a second."

 

The smile that had creeped on Yifan's face now that Yixing was here faded.

 

"You're not breaking up with me, right?"

 

"What?? God, you are impossible!" Yixing blurted out and hit the other's shoulder, dodging the question in a more or less elegant way, "This has nothing to do with you or me."

"Oh. Okay..."

 

Yixing had wrecked his brain how to break the news of Mr. Deng's health situation as psychological useful as possible, but sometimes it was best to just say the things that needed to be said without taking detours.

 

"It's about Mr. Deng," Yixing started and then explained what Mrs. Wang had told him earlier.

 

When he was finished Yifan didn't say anything for a moment. He just stood there, his fingers loosely intertwined with Yixing's, until he said:

 

"So. We're going to visit him, I guess?"

 

"If you want to, I'll go with you."

 

Yifan nodded in appreciation and then tried to get back to the actual reason why they were here - Yixing reckoned this was some kind of self protection, to get back to business as soon as possible and not dwell on bad news.

 

"Okay, prepare yourself for the lamest thing on earth, this whole thing big time. Tao couldn't make it because he's wind up in Qingdao and has to take care of business, it's such a drag..."

 

"Oh, I see," Yixing said and followed Yifan to the entrance of the restaurant.

 

The older one squeezed Yixing's hand one last time before he let go and opened the door. Some heads turned, but their arrival didn't seem too cause too much of a fuss. Yifan handed Yixing a glass of champagne that one of the waiters carried around and offered the guests, before he said:


"I will talk to Yili about Mr. Deng for a moment. Can I leave you to yourself?"

 

"Yes, mommy, I won't break anything."

 

Yifan rolled his eyes, but cracked a smile as he made his way through the room towards Yili who was talking to her mother. Yixing watched as the siblings retreated to the balcony to have a private conversation. In that moment, the Empress saw him and walked over. She gave Yixing a flashing smile and the grip around his glass got tighter the nearer she came.

 

"Mr. Zhang, it's nice to see you!" She greeted him and they shook hands.

 

"It's great to see you too, my Empress."

 

"Mr. Wang told me you haven't been feeling well, are you fine now?"

 

"Yes, I'm better, thank you."

 

She lured him into some pleasant small talk when suddenly her husband appeared next to her. The Emperor was a tall man with sharp looks that Yifan had inherited from him but while Yifan also had some soft features of his mother, his father's facial expression was the hardest Yixing had ever seen. Or maybe he was just under the impression since he had every reason to believe that he had something against him.

 

"Darling, may I bother you to check in with one of the staff to resolve their questions? They’ve been annoying me with the menu and I cannot handle any more of their incompetence," he said.

 

"Of course, honey," the Empress retorted and turned to Yixing, "I'll see you later, Mr. Zhang."

 

Yixing only nodded and felt a rush of adrenaline shooting through his body as the Emperor eyed him from head to toe.

 

"I see you've made it, Mr. Zhang." He stated the obvious and Yixing swore he could hear the icy tone in the Emperor's voice.

 

"Yes, I was busy at the office but could manage to get off my boss' hook."

 

"I see how it is."

 

They eyed each other carefully and Yixing decided to mention the list, trying not to get intimidated by the other one.

 

"You know, my Highness, it's rather weird," he started and forced Yifan's father to look back at him, "When Yifan made the guest list, I was sitting next to him and I remember clearly him putting me on that list. Now I had to find out I wasn't listed. Isn't that unusual?"

 

"Oh it isn't, in fact. Sometimes people make mistakes and forget to type down a name, especially when my son lists all his friends. I guess the staff who forwarded the list simply forgot you, also, it's easy to forget to type down your name on a guest list since you never seem to leave my son's side."

 

His answer sounded rehearsed but Yixing didn't feel like it was his duty to bust the Emperor's scheme. So instead, he ignored the passive aggressive remark at the end and took another sip of the champagne.

 

"Yes I guess that's it. An honest mistake."

 

"We all make them sometimes," the older man said and curled his lips into a cold smile, "Take my son, for example, and his awful bad taste when choosing his... partners. Mistakes happen, but I'm willing to look past his horrible choice of people because I know they are never here to stay."

 

Yixing's pulse started racing and he hoped he was able to control his face properly.

 

"Isn't that generous of you," Yixing squeezed out behind grinding teeth.

 

The Emperor gave him a smile, one of the kinds that read like a big ' you' to the one it was addressed to.

 

"I'll see you, Mr. Zhang. If you'll excuse me now?"

"Of course! Go ahead, my Emperor!"

 

There wasn't even a proper nod to bid Yixing goodbye and the monarch turned around to get back to his seat. Yixing closed his eyes and took a deep breath to calm himself down again. While he was thinking that, yes, the Emperor was working against him, someone else appeared at his side.

 

"Look at my favorite journalist making it to save the day!"

 

The man opened his eyes and saw Sehun standing in front of him. He had recognized his accent right on the spot.

 

"Oh my god! Sehun! I didn't know you were here too!"

 

"Of course I am," Yifan's cousin said, "I arrived yesterday, but I am not a fan of Halloween, so I didn't attend the party. How are you doing? Was the Emperor a meanie again? He uses to intimidate people..."

 

Yixing didn't know what to say because he felt like telling Sehun the Emperor had just indicated to keep him as far away from the royal family as possible wasn't really a thing he should do. Sehun gave him an encouraging smile and then said:

 

"You know, no matter what he's saying, he's often just a dog that barks a lot, but never bites. When I was a kid I used to cry when we had to visit him, because I was so scared of him. But he has good sides."

 

The journalist could hardly believe those words but just as he wanted to respond to them Yifan and Yili entered the room again and walked over to them.

 

"I see Sehun's kept you company, how nice!" Yifan said and Sehun just nodded as if not hearing his cousin's sarcastic tone.

 

"I thought I'd save him from my dearest uncle," Sehun explained.

 

The mention of his father made Yifan's head to Yixing.

 

"My father talked to you?"

 

"It's nothing, really," Yixing muttered, knowing very well this wasn't going to work.

 

"What did he say?"

 

Yili squeezed her brother's shoulder.

 

"Yifan, please don't start a scene right now."

 

"Shut up Yili," Yifan hissed and his sister rolled her eyes in annoyance, before he turned back to Yixing, "What did he say to you?"

 

"It was just stupid talk, nothing important. He was just... I provoked it. I mentioned the guest list and he said that it probably was a mistake and a staff member forgot to put my name on it."

 

"He is such a ing liar!"

 

"Yifan, watch your language, we're not at home!" Yili cried out and looked around to check if anyone had heard.

 

The people around them were too engaged in their conversations and food to notice though and she exhaled a breath.

 

"No, seriously, this is the only reason why our family ascended to the throne - because our great grandfather lied and cheated and manipulated people. He's inherited that from him!" Yifan fumed and prepared to stride right over to his father.

 

Yixing grabbed his elbow to hold him back from doing so.

 

"Please, listen to Yili. Don't start a scene. It's not worth it."

 

Eventually, Yifan gave in, but he swore to confront his father about his behavior. Yixing wished he hadn't because it felt like that was exactly the thing that would make everything worse. Yixing tried to act like he didn’t really mind about the whole thing, especially since he’s been trying to convince himself that disappearing after Yifan’s birthday would be best for the both of them, but his eyes kept darting back to the Emperor who mostly sat at his place and eyed the party. And more than often, he was staring straight back at him and Yixing pretended to focus his gaze on something behind him. It was ridiculous, but the cold shiver running down his spine when those sharp eyes pierced right through him was too real to be trying to convince himself he was making all of it up.

 

Yifan’s father, the Emperor of China and probably one of the most powerful men in the world, hated him.


WOW HI WELL I AM ALIVE FINALLY UMMM SORRY TO KEEP YOU WAITING. SORRY TO GIVE YOU A TRASH CHAPTER THAT ISN'T PROPERLY EDITED. SORRY!!!!