CHAPTER III

BITTER AND SWEET

“Ya,what’s with you?” Youngjae whispers to his seat partner who doesn’t pay attention to Mr. Lee at all.

“Youngjae-ah,do you know how can I sell my soul to satan? I think I’m gonna die if I keep living without a phone.” Taehyung rests his head on the table.

Youngjae sighs. “You’re not the only one who’s having financial issue now.”

Taehyung looks at his friend. “Why?”

“I am running out of money to buy Coco foods.”

Taehyung frowns. “Don’t you raise her with someone else? What’s his name again? That american fella.”

“Mark hyung.” Youngjae shakes his head. “I gotta take the responsibility,too.”

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “Seriously? Why would you raise her if you couldn’t even afford money to feed her?”

“And why would you buy a phone if you’re gonna lose it again?”

“Youngjae! Taehyung! Be quiet as long as I am being nice to you two.”

“We’re sorry,sir.” Youngjae and Taehyung replies in harmony since this always happens to them.

“Anyway,” Taehyung whispers. “That american hyung is so quiet,isn’t he?”

“His name is Mark Tuan,not american hyung.”

 “I tried to talk to him. But seemed like he’s avoiding me. Ya,do you think he has a crush on me or something?”

Youngjae sighs. “He avoids you because you’re so aggresive. I would also avoid you if I were him. but here I am,sitting next to you. Out of all people in this room,why was I paired with you. Why,Taehyung?”

Taehyung glares at Youngjae. “Ya. I also don’t like it.” He sighs. “I wonder how he’s doing in classroom. I mean,what if no one talks to him because he’s too quiet?”
Youngjae rolls his eyes. “He’s not that quiet if you’re close to him. I heard he’s close with Yoongi hyung.”

-----------------

“Oh my God,Bambam. Stop doing it!”

“Don’t tell me how to live my life,hyung.” Bambam says as he continues teaching Mingyu how to dab perfectly.

“I can’t believe you guys have someone like him in your squad.” Yoongi shakes his head as he watches Bambam and Mingyu

Mark snorts. “Said someone who has Taehyung in their squad. He’s like the weirdest person I’ve ever met.”

“At least we only have one. You guys have not only Bambam but also Wang Jackson.”

“At least our leader is normal. Look at your leader.” Mark points at Namjoon who’s dancing weirdly.

“He’s originally a genius. “ Yoongi mutters.

Mark laughs. “Anyway,I heard you didn’t join the basketball event. What a cocky guy.”

Yoongi purses his lips. “Should I regret it,then?”

“Of course,you have to. I mean,there were some top basketball player.” Mark looks at Yoongi who’s had his head down. “You even have to think whether you should regret it or not. Ugh,I can’t stand be friends with arrogant guy like you.”

Yoongi laughs. “Fine,I regret it. happy?” He takes a deep breath. ”Anyway,I heard your leader is being casted for a high school drama.”

Mark nods. “Jaebum and Jinyoung.”

Yoongi smirks. “And how does it feel,Mr. Tuan? Your crush and your leader finally get together again for another project. And you won’t be able to see him for a month because of that.”

“Shut up,you lil piece of-“

“Mark hyung!”

Both Mark and Yoongi turn around. A guy in spec is standing in front of them. Mark clears his throat. “Why?”

“Why don’t you have a lunch?”

“I’m full. Why do you come?” Mark asks

Junior glances at Yoongi before going back to Mark. “Please tell Jackson that I can’t go to the music event with him and Bambam. I’ll go to Apgujeong this afternoon”

“You’ll go there alone?”

Junior nods. “Why?”

Mark shakes his head. “I’ll tell Jackson.”

Junior slowly steps back and steals another glance at Yoongi who’s eyeing him. “Um,I’ll go now.”

They watch Junior leaves the room in a hurry. Yoongi then chuckles.

“So,you like awkward guy?”

“He maybe awkward. But he’s still better than Park Jimin who dates literally everyone.” Mark snorts. “Anyway,I heard he’s dating a girl now,our junior.”

“Really? Who told you?” Yoongi asks

Mark grins. “We got our dispatch in singer classroom.”

Yoongi frowns. “Dispatch? Youngjae?”

Mark shakes his head and shows Yoongi a text from someone.

-----------------

“Yugyeom-ah.”

“Yugyeom.”

“KIM YUGYEOM!!”

Yugyeom drops his phone on the floor and quickly picks it up. “Jesus Christ,Busan! You don’t have to yell to talk to me.”

Jeongguk glares at his seat partner. “I called you thrice.  What were you thinking about?”
Yugyeom shrugs. “That’s no one of your business. Why?”

Jeongguk sighs. “Are you free tomorrow? I’ll go to department store.”

Yugyeom shakes his head. “Sorry,pal. I have a drama marathon tomorrow.”

Jeongguk smacks Yugyeom’s head. “Is that all on your mind? Kdramas?”

“Kdrama is love. Kdrama is life.” Yugyeom sneers. “Beside that,I’ve got enough seeing you five times in a week. It’s such a boring view to have you sitting next to me.”

“Crazy bastard.” Jeongguk pauses and hesitately opens his mouth. “Yugyeom-ah,um,what if I like my friend? Shall I tell the truth or just hide it?”

“Depend.” Yugyeom looks at Jeongguk. “The closer you two are,the more awkward it’ll be.”

“Really?” Jeongguk mumbles to himself.

Yugyeom fix his gaze on Jeongguk “Hold up,was it..me?” He then pats Jeongguk on the back. “Sorry,Jeongguk. I am straight.”

“For God’s sake,Yugyeom. It’s not you!” Jeongguk screams

Yugyeom laughs. “I was just joking.” He looks at Jeongguk. “Who is it,then? Since you’re afraid of girls,it must-ack!”

Yugyeom rubs his head that’s being smacked by a thick book. “Since you’re afraid of girls-ack,then it must be a guy. C’mon,bro. I won’t tell anyone.”

Jeongguk snorts. “I bet you’ll tell Mark right away if I tell you.”

Yugyeom was startled. “You know Mark hyung?”

Jeongguk sneers. “Breaking News, Jimin is dating a girl who is our junior.”

“Ya! Privacy,bro.” Yugyeom quickly slips his phone into the pocket of his uniform.

“I can’t believe Seungkwan has a competitor here.” Jeongguk reaches for a manga on the drawer

Yugyeom chuckles. “Okay. Since you don’t want to share your love story. Can you share Taehyung’s love story? How did he and Park Bogum break up?”

Jeongguk rolls his eyes. “They were not even a thing. Honestly,all of these park bogum talks make me sick.”

“But we just started it. So,Taehyung and him-”

Jeongguk cuts Yugyeom. “I don’t give a damn about them,okay?”

Yugyeom laughs. “Chill,bro. Is it possible..” He whispers. “That friend was Taehyung?”

Jeongguk hit Yugyeom’s head with manga. “Are you out of your mind?” He stands up. “Ugh,I’ll go to the restroom.”

Yugyeom smirks as he watches Jeongguk leaves the room. “I’ll see how long you’ll deny it,seagull.”

Yugyeom reaches for his phone and was about to plug in his earphone before Taehyung walks into the room.

“Yugyeom-ah,you don’t have a lunch?”

Yugyeom shakes his head. “I’m not hungry.”

Taehyung nods as he sits down. “Jeongguk too?”
“He loses his appetite lately. Why,hyung? Are you worried?”

Taehyung frowns. “Of course. Why did you ask such question?”

Yugyeom chuckles. “Nah.” He then sits next to Taehyung. “Hyung,may I ask you something?”

“Sure. What is it?”
Yugyeom giggles. “It’s about you and Park Bogum. Did you two break up or something? I haven’t seen you with him these two weeks.”

Taehyung was dumbfounded by the younger’s question. “What are you talking about? We’re not even a thing.”

Yugyeom narrowed his eyebrow. “Really?”
Taehyung points at his own face. “Does this face look like he’s lying?”
Yugyeom learns the older’s face. “You’re so ugly that I can’t stand staring at it for too long,hyung.”

Taehyung hit Yugyeom’s head lightly. “This rascal! Why is all 97 kid so annoying? You,Jeongguk,Seokmin. I can’t stand you all.”

Yugyeom pouts. “But you love Bambam.”

“He’s pretty annoying. But he’s cute. So it doesn’t matter.” Taehyung pulls out a chocolate bar out of his backpack and hands it to Yugyeom. “Your face is a bit pale. Eat it if you feel like about to pass out.”

Yugyeom takes the chocolate with a smile on his face. “So this is why he falls for you.” He mumbles

“Yugyeom-ah,why do you keep taking my seat?” Youngjae bursts into the room while holding a plastic bag. “Seriously. Are you trying to hit on Taehyung or something?”

“Ugh,just for your information,I am straight.” Yugyeom stares at the plastic bag. “What is it,hyung?”

Youngjae sighs and put the plastic bag onto the table. “Fish’s food. Mark hyung asked me to feed his fish. I couldn’t even get mad at him because there’s Coco’s food in it. Seriously.”

“Wow,that american hyung loves pet so much,huh?” Taehyung giggles

“Stay in your lane,Mr. Kim.” Youngjae replies blandly

“Anyway,where’s he gonna go?” Yugyeom asks as he chews the chocolate

“Apgujeong.”

------------------------

Jinyoung glances over Mark who sits next to him and cracks a smile. It is 9 p.m and they’re in the bus on their way home from Apgujeong. There are less than ten passengers so it is all quiet in the bus.

“Hyung.” Jinyoung breaks the silence they’d been sharing as Mark kept staring outside the window

Mark eventually breaks the gaze and looks at Jinyoung. “Why?”

“Why did you follow me to Apgujeong?”

Mark frowns. “I already said that I was afraid that you might get lost in Apgujeong.”

Jinyoung snorts. “Look who’s talking now. Someone who just moved from L.A three years ago.” He looks at the older. “I think I know the reason.”

Mark slips his hand into the pocket of his jacket. “What?”

“You decided to stick around me because you won’t be able to see me for a month start from tomorrow.” Jinyoung purses his lips. “Am I right,Mark Tuan-ssi?”
Mark gazes at the younger for a second before breaks it with a snort. “Where did that confidence come from,Mr. Park?”

Jinyoung laughs. “I learned it from Jackson.” He looks around. “Oh! It’s your stop,hyung.”

Mark looks around and mentally sighs as he realized he has to get off the bus. He steals a glance at Jinyoung before stands up and gets off the bus.

Jinyoung pops his head out the window “Don’t miss me,okay?” He waves at Mark who’s still standing on the same spot. “See you next month,hyung!”

Mark waves back and lets out a long deep sigh as soon as the bus drives away.

“Next month.” He mumbles to himself as he stomps his way to his apartment.

“Mark!”

Mark turns around as he heard someone calls him. And it is no one other than his seat mate a.k.a Min Yoongi who’s running toward him wearing a basketball uniform.

Yoongi finally catches up and manages to breathe properly. “I’d been calling you like ten times.”

Mark frowns. “Really? I didn’t hear it.”

Yoongi sneers. “Of course. You’re too busy staring at Jinyoung to even realize that you didn’t lace up your shoes.”

Mark looks at his unlaced shoes and laughs. “Wow. You noticed everything about me,didn’t you?” He continues walking

Yoongi follows him. “Being your neighbor for three years and being your seat mate for two years speaks a lot.”

Mark purses his lips. “It ,doesn’t it?”

“It does.”

“Hyung..” Mark whines

Yoongi laughs. “Stop calling me hyung when I am only 7 months older than you. It makes me feel so old.”

“You already looked like my grandpa.”

“Ya!”

“Whut?” Mark giggles. “Anyway,Jimin has a date tonight. You know that?”
Yoongi pulls out a bottle of water from his backpack. “I know.”

Mark sighs. “You still like him although he dates literally everyone?”

“You still like Jinyoung although he just sees you as his hyung?” Yoongi asks back

“I don’t know.” Mark mutters

“So do I.” Yoongi mumbles. He slings an arm around the younger. “To be honest,I am so frustated right now.” He speaks in a loud voice

Mark looks at the older and swings his arm around Yoongi as well. He laughs and copies what the older did. “To be honest,I am so sad right now.”

Both of them walk side by side,with arms are still around each other.

“Why are you so tall? My arm is hurt.”

“Blame your height.”

“Shut up!”

-----------------------

“Why is it so cold tonight?” Jongin states as he puts both of his hands above the hot soup on the dining table. “Noona,did you see my jacket?”

Taeyeon walks into the dining room and wordlessly throws a blue jacket right on Jongin’s face.

Jongin pouts as he wears the jacket. “Thanks for being such a gentle noona.”

Taeyeon pulls out a chair and sits down. “Thanks for being such a useless dongsaeng.” He glances over her another dongsaeng. “Taehyung-ah,put it down and let’s have a dinner first.”

Taehyung who’s busy reading a manga,looks at Taeyeon with his puppy eyes. “Just two more pages,noona.”

Taeyeon sighs. She always softens whenever her little brothers addressed her as noona.”Anyway,why hasn’t Jeongguk com-“

“Noona,please gimme a bowl of rice.”

Jeongguk gets into the house without even bothered to knock on the door. He approaches them and sits next to Taehyung who’s already finished his manga.

Taeyeon sighs. “Why am I surrounded by these people?” She hands Jeongguk a bowl of rice.

Jeongguk glances at the manga as he spoons the soup. “You already finished it?”

Taehyung nods. “Lend me another one tomorrow,okay?”

“Hold on!” Jongin frowns at Jeongguk. “You lend him a manga?  Jeon Jeongguk a.k.a our stingy Busan fella lend someone his most precious thing in the world?”
Taehyung sighs. “You think he’d just lend it to me? I have to sacrifice my weeknd to go to department store with him tomorrow.”

Taeyeon chuckles. “Go find a girlfriend,Jeongguk-ah. This is like the tenth time you ask him to go with you.”

Taehyung snorts. “How would he get a girlfriend if he’s too afraid to approach girls-ack! It hurts!” He glares at the younger who just smacked his head.

Taeyeon purses her lips. “Then just find a boyfriend like Jongin.”

Jongin chokes on chicken and immediately rushes to the sink. Taehyung and Jongin stared at Taeyeon who’s busy laughing at her poor brother.

“What?” Taeyeon asks as she realized the two boys are staring at her. “I heard he’s having a crush on a guy named Kyungsoo. There’s nothing wrong with that,kids. Trust me.”

“That’s not the problem.” Taehyung says. “Jongin hyung is dating a girl,not that Kyungsoo. Her name is Krystal.”

And this time,it’s Taeyeon who chokes on water. “Krystal? Jessica’s sister???”

Taehyung nods. He lets out a long sigh. “She seems as cold as ice.”

“She is.” Taeyeon mutters.

“Ugh,just mind your own love life,noona.” Jongin sits down. “Ups,I forgot that you and that Seo Joon had broken up.”

Taeyeon smacked her brother’s head. “Stop bringing up his name,will you?”
Jongin grins over his victory. He then looks at Taehyung. “Anyway,it’s been awhile since I heard about Park Bogum. How is he doing with you?”

Taehyung shrugs. “We never met each other since two weeks ago.”

“Aw.” Jongin pets his brother’s head. “Look at this broken heart man.”

Taehyung shoves Jongin’s hand. “Geez. Stop throwing that old joke.”

Jeongguk cracks a small grin on his face. He’s always happy to hear it from Taehyung that him and Park Bogum never met each other anymore.

“Anyway,” Jongin looks at Jeongguk. “What are you gonna buy at department store?”
 

----------------------

Taehyung huffs loudly as he arrives at the bus stop meanwhile Jeongguk was busy eating up his ice cream. Taehyung glances over the plastic bag which is on Jeongguk’s grip. He then lets out a sigh.

“Seriously,it took you three hours and five floors just to buy those similiar white t-shirts.”

“Why? You want one? I’ll give it to you,then.” Jeongguk asks in serious tone.

“Nevermind.” Taehyung sighs. “When will the next bus arrives?”

Jeongguk glances at his watch. “In three minutes.” He takes out a small plastic bag and hands it to Taehyung. “Here.”

Taehyung frowns and hesitately takes the plastic bag. “What is this?”

Jeongguk coughs. “Manga. I bought them when you went to restroom. You can have them.”

Taehyung frowns even more. He pulls out one of the mangas and observes it. “Why?”
“It must be so boring to spend the days without phone. I always kill the time by reading mangas.”

Before Taehyung could proceed what the younger said,the bus arrives and they get into the bus. Jeongguk chooses an empty seat at the back of the bus. Taehyung was about to sit next to the younger when a voice calls his name.

“Taehyung!”

Taehyung turns around and finds someone’s smiling at him. A smile that he hasn’t seen two weeks ago. He immediately walks toward the man who sits by himself.

“Bogum hyung.” Taehyung couldn’t help but smile. He sits next to Bogum who’s still smiling. “What are you doing?”
“I am going home. Where had you been?”
“I went to department store with my friend.” Taehyung turns around only to find Jeongguk’s playing with his phone with earphone on. “Anyway,how are you doing,hyung?”
“I am very busy these two weeks. I went to several auditions but failed.” Bogum laughs sheepishly. “How about you? I haven’t seen in two weeks but you look cuter.”

Taehyung purses his lips. “I am doing fine. You look thinner,hyung. You didn’t eat well,did you?”
Bogum smiles. “I was too busy to even had a meal.”
Taehyung sighs. “It must be so tough.”
Bogum nods. “But it’s all over now. So we can see each other again.” He glances over the manga Taehyung’s holding. “You like reading manga?”

Taehyung nods. “Jeongguk bought these for me so I don’t get bored since I don’t have a phone.”

“It must be such a relief to have a such caring friend.” Bogum mumbles.

Taehyung turns around and looks at Jeongguk who’s still busy with his phone before turn back to Bogum. “Sometimes he’s such a bastard but I couldn’t bring myself to hate him.”

Bogum chuckles. “Anyway,why haven’t you bought a new phone?”

Taehyung sighs at the question. “I am looking for a job now so I can buy it.”

Bogum pauses. He then looks at Taehyung. “Taehyung-ah,do you want to work at my friend’s book store? He’s looking for a part timer employees.”

Taehyung beams. “Really? I freaking want to!” He then manages to calm down as Bogum seems startled. “I mean,I want to,hyung.”

Bogum chuckles. “I will talk to him.” He looks around. “It’s almost my stop. See you tomorrow,Taehyung.”

Taehyung grabs Bogum’s hand. “Hyung,uh,can you ask your friend how many part time workers he needs? My friend’s looking for a job too because we both face financial issue.”

Bogum smiles and pets his head. “No wonder your have such a caring friend. I’ll ask him.”

“Thanks,hyung.” Taehyung tries his best to hide the blush.

----------------

Jeongguk reaches for a mint roll and applied it under his eyes to keep him awake. The clock reads 10 p.m and it was drizzling in Seoul. He fights the cold by wearing four layered-clothes and a cup of coffee on the table. People might think he’s out of mind,as he always sits at the balcony of his house in such cold weather. And Jeongguk does think so,too.

He’s in fact,been doing it for these past two months since Taehyung got the job at book store. Caught a cold at least thrice during those times made him realized how stupid he is. But he’s still doing it anyway. He still sits at the balcony,waiting for Taehyung who usually goes home at 10 p.m.

Jeongguk glances over his the clock on his phone screen which reads 10.15 p.m. He was about to get into the house to get another cup of coffee when he hears a familiar voice.

“Ya..ain’t it cold outside?”
Jeongguk turns around and spots Taehyung stand in front of his house.

“Huh? I-I was about to get inside.”

He’s been caught sitting outside the house at night by Taehyung at least six times,but he always stutters whenever Taehyung is giving him a suspicious look.

Taehyung sighs. “Come here.”

Jeongguk frowns but still does as Taehyung told him to. He walks toward the older who’s holding a small paper bag.

“Bogum hyung bought me fish cakes. Eat these for me,okay?” Taehyung pets Jeongguk’s head and walks away.

Jeongguk stares at Taehyung who’s got inside the house. He lets out a deep sigh and walks into the house with an empty cup and a small paper bag of fish cakes.

Taehyung hates fish cakes.But he couldn’t bring himself to tell Bogum who’s become his close friend that he dislikes fish cakes. So he always passes the fish cakes that Bogum bought to Jeongguk who loves fish cakes.

And Jeongguk hates that Park Bogum. So he always throws the fish cakes into the garbage can with bitter in his heart. The bitter he’s been carrying with himself for these two months as he distants himself from the older. And the bitter becomes double as Taehyung seemed doesn’t notice the growing distance between them.

-------------

“Taehyung,pass me the book.”

“Kim Taehyung.”

“Ya,Kim Taehyung!”
Youngjae reaches for a thick dictionary and smacked it onto Taehyung’s head. And it works.

“Stop smacking me,will you? I think I’ll end up at hospital before I could even make a debut.” Taehyung rubs his head.

Youngjae rolls his eyes. “You’ve been like this for two weeks. What’s wrong with you?” He stares at his seat partner. “Your group’s gonna make a debut soon. How will you do well if you keep being spaced out?”

Taehyung frowns. “Do I?” He looks down as soon as Youngjae nodded. “Youngjae-ah,if you have to choose between friendship and your dream,what will be your choice?”

Youngjae gives Taehyung a suspecting look. But he then gets what’s happening. “Depend.”

“On what?”

Youngjae rests his head on his palm. “If I choose to pursue my dream,I’ll get smacked by my bestfriends. But if I choose to stay loyal and abandon my dream,I’ll get smacked by myself. You know which one is more painful,right?”

Taehyung shakes his head with blank expression. Youngjae sighs.

“It’s being smacked by yourself. Other may will get mad at you for choosing your dream over BTS. They’ll feel betrayed,they’ll think you’re selfish. But that’s normal,trust me.”

Taehyung blinks his eyes several times. “How-how could you know that I was referring to that?”

Youngjae chuckles. “Ya,I am close to you five days a week for these two years. I even knew that you’re having a crush on someone right now.”

Taehyung chokes up. “WHAT?”
“Kim Taehyung!” Mr. Park sends him and Youngjae a death glare.

“Sorry,sir.”

“When will you two stop talking in the middle of the class? Your groups will debut less than a month.” Mr. Park shakes his head and goes back to the board.

“Don’t waste your time denying it,Kim Taehyung. You couldn’t lie to an expert. I even figured it out first that Mark hyung has a crush on Jinyoung hyung.”

Both Youngjae and Taehyung gasp. Taehyung then throws his gaze at Jinyoung who falls asleep. “That american hyung has a-“

“Ugh,just mind your own business.” Youngjae manages to calm down after realizing he just spitted out a secret he’s been carrying with himself for these two months. “So,who’s that someone my friend has a crush on? Is it Park Bogum?”

Taehyung once again chokes up. He takes a drink of water. “Stop saying a nonsense.”
Youngjae giggles. “So I’m right,huh? Wow,I think I’ve found another talent. Reading people’s hearts.” He pats Taehyung’s shoulder. “Ya,about your dream,decide it soon before it’s too late,okay?”

Taehyung who was about to smack Youngjae,couldn’t help but smile after hearing Youngjae’s last statement. “Thanks,pal.”

Youngjae smiles. “Thanks for giving me that job,too. I don’t know how would I feed Coco if I didn’t work at Bogum friend’s bookstore.”

Taehyung smiles to prevent himself from crying. He knows it’s almost the time to say goodbye,not only to Youngjae,but also to his six childhood and present bestfriends.