CHAPTER I

BITTER AND SWEET

KE University

Let’s take a peek at “KE University” a.k.a Korean Entertainment University,where your dreams to be part of Korean Entertainment industry will come true. There are 2 departments at this university. The first department was created for youngsters who want to be part of Hallyu Wave. The second department was created for those who want to be part of K-Film and K-Drama industry. Hardworks and dreams will lead them to make a debut anytime and anywhere.

---------------

“Taehyung-ah! Wake up! It’s already 6!”

Taehyung mentally cries as he heard his older sister  shout from the outside of his room while knocking on the door. He sighs and reach for the pillow. “Noona,it’s just 6 and school starts at 7.”

“SIX?? OPEN YOUR EYES WIDE AND LOOK STRAIGHT AT THE CLOCK!”

Taehyung stretches his body and glances at the clock. “I’ve told you that it was s-! It’s almost 7!”

“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY??”    

Taehyung immediately grabs his towel and walks out of the room. He doesn’t miss the death glare that Taeyeon gave as he walked pass her.

“Noona,did you see my socks? I think I placed it somewh-“

“FOR GOD’S SAKE! Why do you keep losing those damn socks,Jongin? Why???”

Taehyung sits in front of Taeyeon who’s busy reading her book and drinks the milk. “Noona,dad and mom been at office?”

Taeyeon nods and takes something from her bag. She hands Taehyung some money. “Don’t eat ramen,okay? You can eat anything else but ramen.”

Taehyung takes the money happily. “Bur--“

“No burger! No pizza! No fried fries! No coke!”

Taehyung pouts. “Fine.” He turns around “Hyung,we’re so late now. Can’t you be faster???”

Jongin shouts from inside of the room. “5 more minutes.”

Taeyeon stands up. “Taehyung-ah,let’s go!”

“YA!! Wait for me!”

“YA?? Who taught you to shout at your noona?”

Taehyung sips his milk. “Sebooty hyung.”

Taeyeon looks at Taehyung who’s still sipping his milk. “Se- what?”

Taehyung chokes on his milk. “I mean,sehunnie hyung. Let’s go,I am really late now.”

Taehyung put on his shoes and opens the gate. He was startled as he found someone’s tying his shoes lace in front of the gate.

“Oh my gosh,you scare me!” Taehyung looks up “Did the sun rise from the west this morning?”

The dark haired man stands up and reached for his bag which laid on the ground. “What do you mean?”

Taehyung shrugs. “I mean,Jeon Jeongguk,the most dilligent student at KE University,hasn’t been at school at this time.”

Jeongguk clears his throat. “I slept at 1 am yesterday so-“

“Oh! Jeongguk-ah,you haven’t gone,too? Let’s go together,then.” Jongin said as he fix his hair.

Jeongguk nods. He takes something out of his bag. “Here.”

Taehyung reached for the yogurt and started drinking it. Jongin stares at Taehyung and turns to Jeongguk. “What about me?”

“You’d get one from that short man.” Taehyung smirks

Jongin smacks Taehyung’s head. “Ya! What did you just say? Just because you’re tall doesn’t mean you’re allowed to call people short,okay?”
Taehyung rubs his head. “Ugh,always defends his crush.”

Jongin glares at Taehyung. “Ya! He’s not my-“

“You two!” Taeyeon opens the window. “If you want to take the bus instead of my car,keep fighting like a kid! Get into the car,Jeongguk-ah.”

Jeongguk purses his lips and gets into the car followed by Jongin and Taehyung who’s busy glaring at each other.

-----------------------------------

Taehyung turn on the camera and starts filming himself. He fixes his hair as he directed the camera to his face.

“Hello,everyone! My name is Kim Taehyung a.k.a Taehyung a.k.a the most handsome guy at Seoul High School. Today,I am gonna make a documentary video about my school,especially about my squad. And right now,as you can see,I am in the messy classroom. We have a group meeting right now,so the rappers in our squad are here as well. Now,I’m gonna introduce you to my beloved buddies who live in the same block as me,except the rich in our squad a.k.a Yoongi hyung who lives in apartment. We’ve been together since we were kids so there’s no secret between us.”

“I bet that’s not your camera.”

Taehyung rolls his eyes. “Shut up,Youngjae! You won’t appear in this documentary video.” Taehyung stands up. “Now..the first person that I’m gonna introduce is..” Taehyung sat next to someone who’s busy eating his kimbab. “Kim Seokjin a.k.a Seokjin hyung! He is our second mom because he always feeds us. Hyung,say hi to the camera.”

Jin stops eating and looks at the camera. He waves his hand and smiles warmly. “Hello! My name is Kim Seokjin and I am the oldest and most handsome here. And taehyung,stop calling me your mom or Imma kill ya.”

Taehyung just laughs it off. He then moves to the next desk. “And the second one is our cool hyung who loves to sleep and-“ Taehyung pauses to think about another interesting fact from the sleeping guy. “And,yeah,he loves sleeping so much. He is Min Yoongi a.k.a Yoongi hyung!” Taehyung directs the camera to a tiny man who’s resting his head on the desk with eyes shut tight. “Hyung,say hi to the camera.”

“I am not in the mood to murder someone today. Turn it off.” Yoongi said without opening his eyes

Taehyung giggles. “What a greeting! Oh! The horse in our squad just came back from the toilet.” Taehyung stands up and walks toward a man who sits next to Jin. “Everyone,now I am gonna introduce you to the aegyo master in our squad. He is so lou-“

The guy suddenly stands next to Taehyung and speaks in a loud voice. “HELLO EVERYONE! MY NAME IS JUNG HOSEOK A.K.A HOSEOK! As Taehyung has mentioned,I am the aegyo master in our squad. Want to see?”

Taehyung quickly takes the camera from the aggresive Hoseok. “Nah,hyung. I am running out of the battery. There are three more people to be introduced.”

Hoseok pouts and follows Taehyung behind. He keeps popping on the screen and Taehyung tries his best to avoid the aggresive kiss from Hoseok.

“And,the next one is..Kim Namjoon a.k.a Namjoon hyung! He’s the brain in our squad and is an english expert. Hyung,say hi to the camera.” Taehyung directs the camera to a tall figure who’s busy reading a book.

“Oh! You’re finally doing it,Taehyung? Good job! As what I’ve said,there’s nothing more urge than today. Who knows. Maybe we’ll suddenly graduate tomorrow and you didn’t get the chance to film  our classroom. School is a place full of memor-“

Taehyung directs his camera off from Namjoon and whispers to the camera. “I forgot to mention that he’s philosophical.” Taehyung moves to the desk in front of him.

“And,here,we have,the y man with chocolate abs that has melted. But don’t worry! His face would still melt your heart. Park Jimin!”

The mentioned guy gives Taehyung a disgusted look. “Dude,stop treating me like that. I start to thinking you have a crush on me.” Jimin looks at the camera. “Oh! Isn’t this Taeyeon noona’s camera? Dude,do you not want to live anymore?”

Taehyung rolls his eyes. “She wouldn’t know. And I am not afraid of her,okay?”

Jimin smirks. “The last time you borrowed her laptop,you slept at my house for two days.”

Taehyung sighs. “Please don’t remind me about those traumatic days.” He then walks toward a dark haired man in the corner who’s busy reading. Manga.

“Last,but not least. Jeon Jeongguk a.k.a Jeonggukie dongsaeng! He’s the golden maknae in our squad. There’s nothing that he couldn’t do in the world.” Taehyung speaks softly. “But he’s kinda scared of approaching girls.”

“I heard that!”

Taehyung giggles. “Jeongguk-ah,say hi to the camera.”

But Jeongguk doesn’t take his eyes off from the manga. “Leave me alone.”

Taehyung pouts and sits next to Jeongguk. “Just say a few words to the viewers.”

Jeongguk sighs and turn his face to the camera. “Hi. My name is Jeon Jeongguk. And I really hate Kim Taehyung.Thank you.” Jeongguk read his manga again.

Taehyung gives Jeongguk a death glare but the younger doesn’t  even notice it. “I swear I’ll burn those mangas soon or later.”

Jeongguk flips the page. “Go ahead. I’ll kill you.”

Taehyung leaves Jeongguk behind. “Nevermind. He’s not a golden maknae but the evil maknae.”

Taehyung sits on his original seat. “Okay,everyone. I’ll sadly finish this short yet sweet introduction. See you guys next time. Love you!” Taehyung blows some kisses to the camera before turning it off.

“Stop that,Kim taehyung.” Youngjae groans.

“Mind your own business,Mr. Choi from Got7!” Taehyung sent a death glare to his seat mate

------------------------

“Wow,all of us look so handsome here.” Taehyung states as he checks his camera

All of them are busy stuffing their mouths with delicious foods at lunch break,except Park Jimin who is busy playing with his phone.

Hoseok takes a big bite of burger and fixes his gaze at a tiny man. “Oh! Isn’t he Jongin hyung’s crush?”

All of them automatically follows Hoseok’s gaze. But they quickly looks away as the tiny man stares back at them with a pair of big eyes.

“He seemed squishy yet scary.” Hoseok shares his opinion “What’s his name again?”

“Do Kyungsoo.” Jin pats Jimin’s back. “Jimin-ah,as Jongin’s ex admirer,how do you feel?”

All of them bursts into laughters while Jimin just give Jin a death glare. But Jin keeps laughing until he chokes on his kimbab. And eventually Jimin joins the laughters club thanks to Jin’s kimbab.

“Really,hyung? It’s like 4 years ago,okay? Can’t we leave it behind?” Jimin stated

Hoseok who’s been laughing like crazy,finally manages to calm down. “But it was classic. It was seriously unexpected,wasn’t it?”

Taehyung nods in agreement as he shoves oreo’s vanilla creams off from the cookies with a spoon. “He came to my house like ten times per day. And it happened for 3 months.” He put the cream-less cookies onto Jungkook’s plate. “At first,I thought he liked Taeyeon noona.”

“But it would be more surprising if he had a crush on Taeyeon noona instead of Jongin hyung.” Jungkook said as he stuffs his face with the cookies on his plate.

“Ya!” Taehyung glares at Jungkook “Is my noona that bad?”

“Is that even a question?” All of them replies in harmony.

Taehyung pouts. “She’s not that scary,okay?”

Jimin gives Taehyung a “really?” look. And all of them nods,approving Jimin’s expression.

-Two Years Ago-

“Taehyung-ah,where’s the kimchi???” Jin shouted from the kitchen as a big portion of ramen was being cooked.

Taehyung ran into the kitchen and handed Jin the kimchi. “Hyung,I have a bad feeling.”

They were having a ramen party at Taehyung’s house to celebrate their official squad name,Bangtan Sonyeondan a.k.a BTS a.k.a Bulletproof Boys. It was a must for every squad at Seoul Art School to get a name. And they decided that BTS was their squad name.

Jin stirred the almost cooked ramen. “Why? Taeyeon noona? Don’t worry. Didn’t you say she’ll be home at 8?” He glanced at the clock. “It’s 4 now. The sun hasn’t even set.”

Taehyung nodded,trying to believe in his hyung. The rest of BTS were busy singing to BigBang’s songs as they waited for the ramen.

“Ramen is here~” Jin put a big bowl of ramen onto the table. “Everyone,let’s eat now!!”

Jongin had a taste of the ramen broth. “Whoa...you should’ve been in our EXO squad,hyung. There’s no one in our squad that could cook as well as you.”

Taehyung chuckled. “What about that Kyungsoo?”

Jongin choked his ramen and Jimin handed him a glass of water. “You piece of sh-“

“Kim dongsaengs,your noona comes home earlier today. Let’s eat ram-“

Taeyeon gasped as she witnessed how messy the house was. And so did the others. They just sat in silence as they wondered what kind of fate that awaited. And as expected,they couldn’t escape the tragic fate.

“WHAT THE HECK IS THIS??” Taeyeon threw her gaze around. “How dare you guys do this,HUH? You don’t want to live anymore,do you all? You guys want to end up your life?? Crazy bastards! If you want to throw a party JUST DO IT AT FREAKING OUTSIDE AND DON’T MAKE A MESS! JESUS CHRIST! I can’t believe it.”

All of them tried to avoid Taeyeon’s death glare. None had the courage to speak up. The ramen is getting colder. Bigbang’s Loser was playing on Jeongguk’s phone.

“What’s that?” Taeyeon fixed her gaze at the banner hanging on the wall. “Bangtan Sonyeondan? So that’s your squad name? Bangtan Sonyeondan,huh? Want me to get a gun and see whether you guys are really bulletproof boys or not?? Go home now!”

All of them quickly stood up and left Taehyung and Jongin who were still sitting on the floor while staring at the ramen. Jongin swallowed his saliva. “Noona,at least let us finish the ramen first. It is gonna be cold soon.”

Taehyung nodded while giving Taeyeon a puppy-eyes look. Taeyeon sighed. She walked toward her brothers and whispered in the sweetest voice ever. “I’ll let you finish the ramen without cleaning up the mess first and finish your life right after that. Agree?”

They both quickly stood up and started to cleaning up the mess.

----------

“I was afraid to eat ramen after that day. The ramen remained me of how heartless human being could be. She didn’t respect human rights. I mean,we have the rights to at least finish the ramen,right?” Jin said as he wipes a single teardrop on his cheek. “She had no idea how much effort I put on that ramen.”

Namjoon nods. “And do you  guys still remembered how fast she talked? I thought she’d be a great rapper.”

Taehyung shrugs. “She was a famous singer at her university.” He sighs. “I couldn’t imagine how scary my house would be if Jongin hyung ended up with that Kyungsoo. A combination of noona and that scary guy..”

Jimin frowns. “Why? That guy seemed squishy although his eyes are slightly big.”

Taehyung takes a deep breath. “I heard a rumor that he’s the real serial killer. Someone said Byun Baekhyun wrote on his psych test that he had phobia on Kyungsoo because he kept getting hit by him.” He looks at Jimin. “Jimin-ah,you’re much better than that Kyungsoo. Wanna be my bro in law?”

Yoongi snaps. “Ya! Are you out of your mind?”

Everyone stares at Yoongi who spoke up out of the blue.

Yoongi clears his throat. “I mean,don’t interrupt your hyung’s relationship. It’s not polite.”

Jeongguk narrows his eyebrow. “Byun Baekhyun? Your mom?”

Taehyung glares at Jeongguk. “He isn’t my mom,okay? How many times do I have to tell you guys to stop calling me Baekhyun and Daehyun’s son??”

Jimin stands up. “Oh! He’s here. What a mom & son’s connection.”

All of them are  giggling as a short cute man approached them.

The short man manages to take a breath. “Taehyung-ah,Jongin is in rage now. He said you’d die if you didn’t appear in front of him within a minute.”

Taehyung stays still for a second. He stares at Baekhyun’s face and moved to his friends’ confused faces. He then stares at the floor.

“HOLY TT!!!!” Taehyung stands up and run like a cheetah followed by Baekhyun behind him.

“What’s wrong with him? Didn’t they decide to pretend not knowing each other at school?” Jin said as he sips the milk.

“It’s the shoes.” Jeongguk said blandly. “Didn’t you guys see Jongin hyung’s shoes that he’s wearing? I knew he’d get into trouble soon.”

Hoseok looks at Jeongguk. “Wow,I didn’t notice it though.”

The rest of the squad shrugs. “And so did we.”

Jeongguk clears his throat. “I just have eagle eyes,okay?” He looks at Jimin who is busy typing on his phone “Hyung,you don’t eat?”

Jimin pauses. “I am emptying my stomach for tonight. Sungjae said he likes to see me eating. We’ll be dating tonight.”

Yoongi rolls his eyes. “Could you be any more stupid?”

Jimin pouts. “Hyung,are you jealous or something?”

“Want me to kill you?” Yoongi asks while resting his head on Hoseok’s shoulder

Everyone continues eating quietly. They know one noise would cause a fatal result.

--------------------

Jeongguk keeps checking on his watch. He stands up once in awhile,only to sit down on the bench again. The person he’s been waiting for finally made her appearance. A cute girl is approaching him while fixing her uniform.

“Oppa,sorry. My friend wanted me to help him. You must have been waiting for too long.” Yeri manages to breathe properly.

Jeongguk shakes his head. “Nah,I just came here.” He lies. “So,what do you want to say?”
Yeri scratchs her head. “Uhh...um,I just am wondering,um,if you want to go to the movies with me next week.”

Jeongguk stares at Yeri who’s sweating nervously. He swallows his saliva. “Ah,I need to ask someone to get his permission first. Do you mind?”

Yeri nods awkwardly. “Sure. You can tell me anytime.”

Jeongguk glances at his watch. “Okay,then. See you tomorrow.”

Yeri stares at Jeongguk who bumped onto garbage can while running like crazy. She wonders how can she still find him attractive after witnessing that accident.

-------------------

Jeongguk stops running when he reaches the gate. He takes a deep breath and fans himself. He casually walks toward a tall man who’s carrying Jeongguk’s backpack.

“What kind of business did you actually do?” Taehyung hands Jeongguk the backpack

“Why are you so nosy? Are you that curious?” Jeongguk put the backpack on his shoulder.

Taehyung rolls his eyes. “Really Jeongguk-ssi? What I was trying to say is,at least carried the backpack by yourself instead of asking me to carry it for you. It was heavy as hell. What’s inside it? Tons of mangas?”

Jeongguk shrugs. “You would’ve left me if I hadn’t done it.”

Taehyung sighs. “Jeongguk-ah,you’re  already 19 and you’re still afraid to go home by yourself?”

They walks together on the empty road. It is 2 pm now. Some autumn leaves are falling as they walk under the trees. Jeongguk suddenly stops walking. And so does Taehyung.

Taehyung sighs “Why? You left something at school again? Just for your information,I wouldn’t wai-“

“Yeri asked me to watch movie with her.”

Taehyung frowns at the younger who was staring at him with an expression that Taehyung couldn’t understand. “So?”

The wind sweep away some falling leaves between two men who stand face to face.

Jeongguk fix his gaze at the older’s eyes. “Shall I go?”

Taehyung narrows his eyebrow. “Huh? Why did you ask me? Do you want to go or not?”

Jeongguk shakes his head slowly. “No.”

Taehyung sighs. “Then you already had the answer.”

Jeongguk swallows his saliva. “Tell me not to go!”

Taehyung frowns. “What?”

Jeongguk looks down. “I-I couldn’t just refuse her. It’d be impolite. I need to give her the reason. You’re my hyung,so she’d understand that.”

Taehyung was taken aback for a minute. But he then pats Jeongguk on the back and cracks a rectangular smile. “Whoa,our Jeonggukie has finally grown up. You’re afraid that you might hurt her feeling,aren’t you?” He moves an inch closer to Jeongguk and pet his head. “Okay,don’t go with her,Jeongguk-ah. Don’t. Okay? You’re mine so no one can have you tomorrow,or next week,or on the next life. I wouldn’t share you with anyone. You’re hyung’s.”

Jeongguk let himself being petted by Taehyung. He just stares at Taehyung who’s also staring at him

Taehyung steps back to his original spot. The smile has dissappeared “Happy?”

The question snaps Jeongguk back into his conscious. “What? Why am I happy? There’s nothing to be happy about. My happiness ain’t cheap,okay?”

He quickly continues walking,way too quick that he leaves Taehyung behind. Realizing that Taehyung is behind him,he cracks a big grin,smiling like an idiot. But once Taehyung catches up,he plasters the cool-expression on his face all over again.

Taehyung grabs Jeongguk’s arm  “Ya,I realized something now.”

Jeongguk gulps. “Wh-what?”

Taehyung stares at the younger,way too intense. He then put his hand on Jeongguk’s forehead. “See! You caught a cold. That’s why you’re being so weird.” He pulls out a jacket from his backpack and put it on Jeongguk. “Consider that you’re lucky to you have me by your side. Let’s go home quickly. You might pass out here.”

Jeongguk put his hand on his forehead. He then smiles after realizing that he really catches a cold. He tightens the jacket and walk beside Taehyung. Yes,he’s lucky to have Taehyung by his side.  

------------------

Yoongi drags his left foot on the road to his home. He wipes the streaming blood on his knees once awhile. With a backpack on his shoulder,nike shoes on his feet,and white t-shirt,he walks in the darkness while trying his best to hold the pain. He mentally curses his greed that forced his strength-less legs to play basketball for 10 more minutes. And as expected,he has to go home with bleeding knees.

“Just 5 meters to go,Yoongi. Hang on.” He mumbles while wiping the blood with tissues

He sighs when the phone on his pocket was buzzing. There was an urge to pick up the call and curse the caller,but the anger turned into curiousity as he saw who’s calling him.

“Jimin?” Yoongi tries to sound cool. He bit his lips as his knees start to bleeding again,followed by pain.

“H-hyung? Where are you now?”
“Home.” He lies. “Why? Aren’t you with Sungj-“

“We broke up.”

Yoongi stops dragging his foot “What? How?”
“That’s not important now. Can you come here? I think I am lost since it’s too dark here. I am kinda scared.”

Yoongi swallows his saliva. His knees bleed even more “Okay. Where are you now exactly?”
“I am at the coffee shop next to McDonald in Apgujeong.”

Yoongi nods. “Wait right there,okay? I’ll go now.”

He hangs up and stops a taxi that drives by.

-----------------

Jimin turns off his phone and takes a deep breath. He looks across the busy road,trying to figure out what kind of sin he comitted today that he have to get this kind of bad luck. His stomach is growling as the result of not eating for a day,but he ignores it. His mind is busy picturing the scene where Sungjae introduced a girl to Jimin as his girlfriend. He now doesn’t even remember how could he get here.

He was so close to tears when a tiny man walks into the coffee shop. He mentally prepares himself to receive all kind of curses that Yoongi always spitted off. He couldn’t even keep his head up as the older stands in front of him.

“Ya. Let’s go.”

Jimin slowly lifts his head to look Yoongi in the eyes. “Hyung,sorry for making you come here.”

“I said let’s go. I am so hungry. There was a jjajjangmyun restaurant near here. Let’s eat there.”

Jimin slowly stands up. He keeps his eyes on the older as they walked out the coffee shop. “You aren’t mad at me?”

Yoongi rolls his eyes. “Do you want me to get mad at you?”

Jimin quickly shakes his head,imagining how shameful it’d be if he got dissed on the street. Yoongi sighs. “Who did it first this time? You?”

Jimin shakes his head slowly. “Hyung,I don’t want to love anyone anymore. I don’t wanna be in a relationship anymore.”

“You said that everytime you broke up with someone.” Yoongi said dryly

Jimin let out an empty laughter. “Really? How many times exactly you were with me everytime I broke up? Five?”
“Ten.” Yoongi answers immediately,as if he’d spent the days by memorizing it.

Jimin laughs. “I really mean it this time. I won’t get into any relationships anymore. I’d focus on achieving my,I mean,our dream,to make a debut in Kpop industry.”

“You’ll date a hundred more people before we make our debut.”

Jimin laughs out loud. “Am I that cheap?” He looks at the older “Hyung,why are you carrying a backpack?”

Yoongi glances over his backpack. “This is my fashion. Why?”

Jimin snorts. “What kind of fashion was that? Plain t-shirt,school backpack,nike sh-“ His eyes fix on the older’s knees “Hyung,your knees. It’s blee-“

Yoongi quickens his pace,leaving the younger behind. “We’re almost there. Can’t you be faster? I feel like I am gonna die of hunger.”

Jimin grabs Yoongi by his arm,making the older stay still. “Hyung,why are your knees bleeding? Why did you let it be like that? Why didn’t you cure it?”

Yoongi sighs.  “I’ll do it when we go home. It didn’t hurt,anyway. Let’s fill our stomach first.”

Jimin sighs. “Hyung,that’s your problem. You always hide what you feel. Just show it if it hurts.”

“A man full of swag shouldn’t cry.” Yoongi said blandly

Jimin snorts. “Yeah,all you care about is swag.”

Yoongi looks at Jimin. “No.”

Jimin nods. “Yes,there are some other things that you care about.” He starts to listing them “Swag,rap,sleep,and basketball. Am I right?”

Wrong. “RIGHT!” Yoongi clapped his hand

Jimin smiles proudly. He then gazes at Yoongi’s knees. “Let’s take care of your wound first.”

“No,I want to eat jjajjangmyun first. The wound could be handled later on.” Yoongi resisted

“No.” Jimin grabs Yoongi’s cold hand “I wouldn’t be able to eat while your knees are still bleeding.”

Yoongi sighs. He let himself being dragged by the younger.

After several feet,Jimin slows down and turns around “Hyung,where’s the drug store?”

Yoongi rolls his eyes,unable to believe how bad Jimin’s sight was “Really,Jimin? It’s in front of us.”

Jimin look over the drug store in front of them. “Ahh..” He giggled “Sorry,hyung. It’s way too dark here.”

Yoongi couldn’t help but crack a smile as he let himself being dragged by the younger again.

-------------