Chapter Five

Descendants Of The Sun (Wonkyu Ver)

This is the last chapter. If I'm not too busy and or lazy, I will update the Epliogue next time....

and thank you for reading this story! it has been a good time. :)

 

 

 

 

***

Their way back to the camp was awfully quite contrast to how eager the captain was when they were about to pick up the pretty doctor before. The two soldiers in the front seats glanced at each other worried something was about to happen.

“So how is your head, doctor? We heard that you’re injured badly that time...” the soldier who sat beside the driver broke the silence.

“Uhm... it is fine now, I am recovered really fast actually.” She smiled and glanced at the captain who stayed mum beside her.

“Don’t you think it’s too risky for you to be back this fast? You should rest a little more.” The soldier added.

“Ahh....it’s more tiring to stay at the hospital or lazing around the house. I can’t stand a day off let alone three weeks. I am really bored.”

Both soldiers broke into wide smile while the captain was completely zoned out. He didn’t even have any reaction with the conversation; his mind was floating miles away. How is he? Where is he? What is he doing right now? Is he really okay? Why there is no news about him?

“Sir...sir...” the soldier spoiled his reverie while holding the door for him to get out. Only by then he realized that they have arrived the camp and dr.Cho was already in front of the medicube welcomed by the staffs.

Capt.Choi looked back at the soldier, flustered but maintained his flat face and got off from the car.

“Sir, are you okay?”

“Why?” he asked haphazardly.

“You were so cheerful before, but after meeting dr.Cho... is there anything we need to know?” the soldier asked attentively

“Huh? Nothing. I’m just a little tired.” He walked pass the other soldier who was confused with the captain as well. “Ah and.... I want to rest at my office. Unless it’s emergency, I hope you do not bother me.”

“Copy sir.”

 

 

***

Reaching his office, Capt.Choi walked to his desk, hands wiped his face, upset, annoyed, worried sick and mad. He stood closer to his window and looked to the direction where the doctor was happily chatting with the medicube staffs; she turned her head to the captain’s direction; as soon as their eyes met, Capt.Choi shut the window close.

Not even five minutes later, he heard a hustle in front of his office. He walked to the door and opened it only to find his soldiers shielding the door from dr.Cho to enter.

“I’m sorry sir...I already told dr.Cho that you are resting, but...” The soldier looked sorry.

“Why can’t I enter? You even closed your window when I looked at you just now.” she said with a smug face that reminded him so much of Kyuhyun.

“It’s okay, let her go.”

“Yes sir.”

“Dismissed now.”

The doctor entered the office and looked around as if she was originally invited to be there. She even opened the window and looked outside “Whoa... you have a great view from here. So envious.”

Capt.Choi closed the door and followed the doctor to stand by the table near the window.

“What are you coming here for?” folded his hands on his chest, he spoke.

“Nothing. I just want to wander around the camp.”

“To the point you bother my soldiers?” he quipped his eyebrow

“Yah.... you haven’t given me a proper welcome greeting. I thought you are a fan of me.” She pouted, it is so cute and makes Capt.Choi’s heart flutters but then he was perplexed realizing what she just said.

“See... your acting is really bad. You, at least should talk to me a bit even though today is our first meeting.” dr.Cho mumbled while touching the files on the soldier’s desk.

“Did you...?”

“Of course I knew. I found it out...in rather worst way. I was inside the MRI room with the other doctors to help him, my own brother. His head was all covered by blood; broken bones. he didn’t wake up for five days.”

“How is he now? Is he still at the hospital? Where is he now?”

“He had just released from the hospital yesterday. He recovers really fast, typical of agents. They just can’t stay on their bed for a few weeks.”

Siwon didn’t say anything but his expression was very clearly showing how relieved he was, hearing the news.

“Or else, I won’t be here.” She continued “The mission is successful. I am thankful for him.”

“So do I.” He smiled.

“I heard you were not cooperating very well. You almost spoiled the mission.” She squinted her eyes, suspecting the captain.

“Well, that was inevitable. I have sharp eyes.” He replied with a smirk and followed by a chuckle from the doctor. It almost took the captain's breath away how similar their chuckles would be. The twins amused him more.

“Yes, no wonder my brother asked me to meet you. He said you asked him to introduce me to you.” She pursed her lips, anticipating.

“Uh...wait...I can explain.... that was at a critical moment, you know I need to distract him, so...uh”

“It’s fine. I’m okay with it. I got a lot of fanboys because of that health show. Many of them are soldiers too.” She grinned gleefully. “What I can say is you have a good taste.” She flashed her thumbs up.

“Excuse me?” how the twins could always make the captain speechless and slightly annoyed.

“Yah, captain, just cut it out, I completely understand.” waving his hands in annoyance.

“B-but...”

“Oh yeah I almost forget the reason why I come to your office, other than protest about your improper greeting.” She took out something from her lab coat’s pocket, a brown envelope folded in two. “A letter for you, from him.” She offered

Capt.Choi straightened up immediately and walked closer to dr.Cho, taking it from the doctor’s hand in a split second.

“You must like my brother so much, don’t you?”

“W-what?” he said still staring at the beautiful handwriting outside the envelope

To. Choi SW

“Nothing.” She grinned. “Ah, from now on please act like usual so no one won’t get suspicious, okay? I’ll leave now. Bye!”

“Doctor...”

“Yes?” she turned around

“Thank you.”

“Anytime!” she disappeared behind the closed door.

 

Dear Captain

I hope you are doing fine after what happened in that building. I am really sorry that you had to get involved in that tough situation and I thank you for helping me to complete the mission. It was my mission, but you sacrificed your live to help me, the honour was on me.

As what I promised, I told my sister that you like her and I hope you can take care of her despite her impulsive self, because I know you are a good guy. But if you, ever, break her heart, I’m not one who can stay calm.

Anyway, you are a good soldier. Till next time, salute!

                                                                                                                                                 KyuHyun

 

“Seriously?” Capt.Choi hissed “Is this his letter all about? Like...what? This rascal, he didn’t even tell me about his condition and now ask me to take care of his sister. You...”

He stopped whining when he saw the name below, he moved his thumb over the name. “Kyuhyun...” he whispered “Kyuhyun, you still owe me a story...”

 

***

The next day was just the same as yesterday for Capt.Choi. Even though he was asked by the doctor to act like usual but the captain just didn’t know how to do it, more like how he usually acted when Kyuhyun was there. Because with Kyuhyun, everything was spontaneous and Kyuhyun always surprised him.

 

When he walked pass some of the medicube staffs, he could hear the staffs whispering to each other, one of them loudly said if the captain and the doctor were fighting, one even guessed they broke up.

Capt.Choi sighed and tried not to preoccupy with that thought, he needed to focus on work, protect the country.

There was a strange feeling whenever he met the doctor, his heart was anticipating something, but the excitement was fast gone as soon as the doctor spoke. There was something not right about the whole thing, he liked to see the doctor around but he just couldn’t pin point what made him feeling suffocated at the same time.

So he took more times to go running, exercising, patrolling perimeter and sometimes he went driving alone.

One time he stopped near the railing, he could still see the tire pattern dig on the ground, it was the time they jumped the ocean while stuck inside car. Without knowing it, he whispered the name he was not supposed to.

Kyuhyun....

Capt.Choi came back to the camp and was surprised when he heard the crowd in the back yard. He curiously went down to the source of the voices and found the tables and chairs were taken out to the yard arranged in a way as if there was a big party going on that evening, the staffs and soldiers were busy enjoying the meal and cake.

“Sir!” said by one of them and made all other soldiers stood up and saluted.

“Sit down. What occasion?” he asked curiously.

“Ah Capt.! Today is dr.Cho’s birthday...”

“Yes, today is dr.Cho’s 33th birthday Capt. and also a welcoming party to dr.Cho, she had gone through a lot” another one spoke

“Ah....don’t you think 33 is suitable for marriage?” Miss Lee said teasingly and earned a loud boohoo from the others.

“Here we go!” the doctor came with two wine bottles in each of her hands. “I bought these especially for this party.” Then she realized that the captain has just arrived. “Captain....come on join us, you’ll get nothing if you just stand there.” The doctor pulled the captain to sit in one of the chairs and the crowd started roaring.

“Yah miss Kang, move, Captain should sit there.” And Miss Kang stood up to move but stopped by the captain.

“No, it’s fine.”

“Don’t be shy Captain” Miss Lee teased again

“Yah yah yah! Enough, don’t tease the captain like that, look! he is blushing.” The doctor laughed wholeheartedly

In the end, Capt.Choi was forced to sit beside the doctor and was served with foods.

“Such a compatible couple.” One said.

“Look at them...” the girls started gossiping

“Is today your birthday?” Capt.Choi asked after finishing his meal.

“Hm...yes!” she beamed

The party went on till dark and they started to light the fire and dancing around it. They were so happy, some of them played guitar and sang, dr.Cho was sitting by the fire and sang along happily too.

Capt.Choi looked away, the thought of someone was actually celebrating his birthday alone bothered him so much.

Today is his birthday, what is he doing right now? Does anyone greet him? Who is he with now? Does he eat well? He was the one who deserved this party... where are you now?

 

Day by day, it felt suffocating to see dr.Cho everywhere while the doctor he wanted to see the most wasn’t there. He tried so hard to distract himself, starting his jogging early in the morning and run for two hours. He cleaned up the yard with the other soldiers too and he even went fishing. The captain grow more and more quiet each day, the soldiers suspected but they didn’t dare to ask the latter.

What worst was the nightmare that kept coming after the agent left. He always have the same dream which was the moment when they were stuck in between the building wreckage, Kyuhyun’s blood on his hand and he didn’t make it even before the rescuers came to help them. Those nightmare scared him to death; despite the news from dr.Cho that Kyuhyun was alright, he just couldn’t believe it fully if he hadn’t see it himself.

That day he sat alone on the edge of the office rooftop, staring far away. There was a wine bottle standing beside him but he didn’t touch it.

“Are you drinking alone?” the voice startled him, it was dr.Cho.

“I can’t drink when I am on duty.”

“So why is it here?”

“It’ll be pathetic if I am alone here.” He smiled though he was not really smiling.

“Why are you like this?”

“I don’t know.”

“Do you dislike me being here?” dr.Cho chose the words carefully.

“Why would I? Please don’t say something like that...”

“The staffs kept asking if we were fighting or breaking up...” she paused “Makes me wonder what kind of relationship you had when he was here.”

The captain looked away; he remembered the bicker, the argument, the fight, the wound he left on Kyuhyun’s hand. “I’m not sure. I don’t know what it was...”

“Do you...like him?”

That question took all Capt.Choi’s attention to dr.Cho, he stared at her and she stared back

“Do you?” she asked again

The captain looked down; he didn’t have words for what he was feeling for the former doctor.

“You like him.” She said firmly.

“How can you say that?”

“If not, you could easily answer my question. If you couldn’t even answer that simple question, then you must fall a little too hard.”

The last words came as a shock to the captain, not like it was not true; it was what he had been thinking for a while.

“Want to hear my advice?”

“You have advice?”

“Stop it. Stop now while you can.”

“What are you saying?”

“He is not someone you expect for. He doesn’t stay. But...”

The captain looked at her wishing her to continue.

“I actually... if there is anyone I want to make happy, it’s him. It’s always him. He deserves it.” she continued 

“I’ve always known since I was a kid that he is different, when we both play together, he is always the prettiest, I envied him; but my father realized that he is not just pretty but he is something else. Dad couldn’t accept that, he often got mad at him when he played with the girls but he was mad too when my brother went with boys. Whatever he did, he was always wrong in dad’s eyes, he got a lot of punishments, hit, drowned in the bathtub. He often locked in the bathroom, he sometimes slept there. Mom couldn’t say anything, she was too weak. One day mom just couldn’t hold it anymore; she sent him away at the age of 12 and told the world that he was dead in a car accident.”

Capt.Choi was utterly speechless; he just couldn’t imagine what kind of life Kyuhyun had been through.

“I became a doctor for him, I volunteered to places to look for him, hoping to meet him. My wish came through, I met him and he became my patient. At least I met him. He is still pretty...”

“So, the reason why he hates water is...”

Dr.Cho flashed a thin smile. “He is strong now, no one can hurt him, even if one hurts him, I’ll cure it, and I’ll protect him like how he protects me from afar.”

“dr.Cho, can I ask you something?”

“Yes?”

“Can you tell me where I can find him?”

“I’m sorry but I can’t help you with that. He doesn’t tell anyone where he lives after released from the hospital. The only way to find him is him finding you.”

“Is it really that difficult?”

“Ah....I know someone you can ask. He might know how to meet my brother.”

“Who?”

“His name is dr.Shim Changmin, he was one of the doctors who operated my brother; turned out he is his close friend.”

“Okay, thank you. I’m going to find him.”

“Captain, I really wish he could feel the happiness like people could.”

 

 

Seoul Hospital, Seoul

“Dr.Shim...” the nurse behind the desk called the tall doctor.

“Yes?” the doctor turned to look at the woman; he was exhausted from the operation since the morning.

“Someone is waiting for you since 5pm.” The nurse moved her hand to the direction of a man who was sitting at the corner of the hall.

“Huh? 5pm? But it’s 10pm now. Didn’t you say I have a nonstop operation today?”

“Yes, I told him but he insisted to wait, he said he needs to talk to you.”

“OK. Thanks.” Dr.Shim Changmin walked through the hall to reach his room and the said man was dressed in suit, sitting handsomely in front of his office.

As soon as he saw Changmin, he stood up and greeted him with a bow.

“My assistant told me that you’ve been waiting since 5pm?” Dr.Shim confirmed.

“Yes, that’s right, doctor.”

He didn’t hide his surprise and continued “Have we met somewhere?” The doctor examined his face that looked a bit familiar.

“No doctor, I don’t think so. I am Choi Siwon” he offered his hand

“Choi wh-? Captain?” Dr.Shim immediately shook the captain’s hand and unlocked his door. “Come on, come in.”

Once both of them settled on the chairs facing each other, the captain spoke “I want to ask you for a favour, if you don’t mind... I need to meet Cho Kyuhyun.”

“Whoa--- wait... what are you saying?” Dr.Shim moved his chair upward, both his elbows firmed on the table while he was waving his palms.

“And you’re the only person that can help me with it, doctor.” Capt.Choi added.

“Wait....” Dr.Shim tried to muster his drained energy to comprehend what was just happening “You, Captain Choi, ask me to get you to meet Kyuhyun?”

“Yes.”

He chuckled “You know this is.......odd.”

“Why is that so?” Captain Choi didn’t grimace at all.

“Because that is the most impossible thing to do and you come to the wrong person. I am sorry but I can’t help you, sir.”

“I know you can, doctor. You are the only hope I have to get to him. You are his best friend, right? Max?”

The doctor looked at Capt.Choi with intense gaze, surprised that the captain knew that nick name of him. Dr.Shim kept his eyes locked with the captain, hoping he would back down but the captain’s eyes stayed still.

He finally broke the eyes contact, swirled his chair around and stood up “You don’t know who you are talking about...” he walked to sit on one of the small table near the window.

“I know, he is an agent. So do I. I’ve been working with him the past few months, he....” he stopped then muttered “I just want to make this right.”

There was a long silence in the room, the doctor sat in the edge of the table, contemplating “Okay. Why do you want to meet him actually?”

The captain looked up, not sure whether his answer sounded logic or not “I need to confirm something.”

“Something? Which is...” dr.Shim sent him a curious gaze.

“I’m sorry but I can’t tell you about it.” He replied shortly.

“Well.... I can’t help you either, if that’s the case. He is a precious person to me; I don’t want him to get any harm.”

“I won’t harm him and won’t let anything harm him” The captain took a deep breath before continuing “I love him....I think.” He added immediately.

“You think? Hm...That’s interesting.” He nodded his head while writing down something on his sticky note.

“He’s been in my mind in the past few months; I can’t get him out of my thought. It bothers me and I am not sure what it is either.” He suddenly blabbered things.

The doctor sighed “I’m sorry to disappoint you, but Kyuhyun, he is not someone who stays. He doesn’t linger in a place or people...” he went back to sit on his desk.

“That’s what his sister told me too. But you are a proof enough that even someone like him could stay.” The answer makes the doctor amused. Dr.Shim smiled, he folded the paper into a small one and put it on a tiny capsule.

“He is this precious to me.” Dr.Shim’s face changed slightly, putting the capsule on the table in between them “He was kicked out of the house at 12, betrayed by his own family, living like a wounded flesh, his soul was snatched from him when I first met him, but he was a kid with heart. When he was trained to become a soldier, he was always number one at a very specific skill, can you guess what it is?”

Capt.Choi stayed silent so the doctor continued

“Eliminating enemy with a knife, he stick his knife to their heads. He was so eager when he killed and didn’t even blink with the sight of blood, even the sight of his own blood, it doesn’t bother him that much, he just kept running avoided the bullets, kicked the guy and choked him to death. That’s why he was moved to a different department. He is a killing machine, the dept. said...”

Capt.Choi was shaken a bit by the revelation.

“I’m telling you this so you could rethink your decision... he doesn’t want attachment.” Dr.Shim pushed the capsule closer to Captain “But, if you still need a peace of mind and meet him, there is this.”

He stared at the captain who was gripping the capsule in his palm “That is the number he used to call me two days ago. I am not sure if he is still using it...He always changes his number. I don’t call him, he does. The last time he went on missions, he didn’t call me for over a year.”

Capt.Choi stood on his seat followed by Dr.Shim. “Open it if you really want to meet him”

“Thank you for this and for your time.” Capt.Choi bowed and bid his farewell.

I hope you don’t.” the last words dr.Shim uttered before Capt.Choi disappeared behind the closed door, holding the precious thing inside his grip.

 

 

***

Capt.Choi was awaken up by the shining light that coming from the slit of his curtain call, he sat up on the edge of his bed, massaging his temple; it was a quiet morning but felt tired already. He turned his gaze to the nightstand table beside his bed. The capsule was still there; marked 8 hours after he got it from dr.Shim, he yet dare to open the capsule, suddenly doubting all the options he had. Somehow he was scared of the forthcoming.

No, he wasn’t scared of the killing machine, Kyuhyun’s license to kill was not his most concern at the moment. The problem was his heart. He knew he liked Kyuhyun but it was too early to judge that he really loved the agent.

Hours passed, he decided to open the capsule and took the paper out. He detached the rolled paper from the capsule.

He doesn’t linger in a place nor people...” the words keep coming back like a nonstop warning to him. “What’s the point of all the efforts if in the end Kyuhyun leaves?”

He took the lighter and started burning the tip of the rolled paper. Maybe this was the best way... so he thought

A knock on his front door startled him; he immediately blew the fire off and put the paper back inside the capsule hastily.

He opened the door and found one of his subordinate waiting outside his door “Sir, I was asked to pick you up.”

Capt.Choi knew right away what was happening, missions come at odd times; they were all prepared for all the odds.

The sky was calm, inside the helicopter the team could hear the two bladed main’s voices hit the air. Capt.Choi remained silent after the briefing, he was completely unhearing of the jokes his subordinate threw to lessen the anxiety before mission. Contrast to the team, Capt.Choi’s mind was preoccupied by something else, far from mission. Kyuhyun.

 

9 hours

It was about time for them to execute the mission, they needed to jump with a parachute from 500 feet over the red mark. He signalled the team to get ready when the door opened, they jumped one by one to the air.

At the very moment, Capt.Choi smiled bitterly my life was also like this, I am too naive to expect someone to stay around while I am incapable of doing so.

 

 

***

The constant vibration on his table woke him up; he squinted his eyes open and looked at the clock, 3am and his phone was ringing.

The number was kind of suspicious. But he answered nevertheless; only to found out someone he knew was found injured badly near the seashore. He moved as fast as possible to the hospital, because the nurse said that guy held his number in his palm before fainting; who would it be having his phone numbers thousands miles away from home.

He was too startled once he arrived at the hospital and got all the information of the patient.

Choi Siwon, he collapsed with two gunshot wounds on his upper chest in front of the hospital an hour ago. That what the nurse said.

“I’m his brother.” Kyuhyun said confidently “I don’t know how this happened to him but I’ll report to the police later.” He said to the nurse; “Thank you for calling me.”

“You’re welcome. Please fill this form immediately.”

 

 

7 hours later

“Hey...” a tall guy walked towards Kyuhyun who just spent his sleep time sitting in front of the ICU, unfazed.

“Max...” he returned the hug

“How is he?” Max said. He was just arrived from Seoul, took the first flight.

“I’m not sure, he hasn’t regained his conscious after the surgery.”

“He’ll make it I’m sure. He is a tough guy. He even chased you here.” Max pressed the word ‘you’ and chuckled.

“He didn’t. He had a mission, I think. Anyway, thank you for coming all the way here, pal.” Kyuhyun said to the bravest doctor he ever met in his life.

“You know I’ll break hell to help this little brat right?” He ruffled Kyuhyun’s already messy hair. He wasn’t bothered by the annoyed look Kyuhyun offered him after the action.

“I know.” He smirked

They sat at the bench in front of the ICU room for almost two hours. The tickling voice of the clock was the only sound heard in the hall.

“It gets me deja vu.” Max spoke after a long silence

“What?” Kyuhyun glanced.

“Remember our first meeting? We actually were waiting in front of the hospital too.”

“Ah yes. Ruby.” The dog who was hit by a car, seen by Max and Kyuhyun. Both of them brought the dog to the hospital to get treated.

“He was one tough dog.”

“And you are one rich kid.” Kyuhyun chuckled.

They laughed. “I really didn’t know. When I met you at that time, I never saw such a brave kid like you, I thought the dog was dead judging by the blood covering his body. You literally ran with Ruby’s blood all over your shirt to the hospital. It was as if you’re the one injured.”

“But I actually didn’t know what to do if they asked me to pay the bill. Seriously. I haven’t eaten for two days that day. Then you suddenly offered me a ride home.” He bumped his shoulder lightly to his doctor friend.

“And you said you actually didn’t have home.”

“I didn’t. So you offered me to work at your place. When your limo came I was so startled, I’ve never seen a limo in my life before.” He chuckled again “Who would know a son of the ministry will be wandering around without bodyguard and offering a ride to a stranger.”

“You’re not a stranger, you’re my first friend, and I just knew it. And because of that accident, I decided to be a doctor.” He patted Kyuhyun’s thigh “Thanks man.”

Kyuhyun replied with a sincere smile.

“Anyway.... how about him?” Max straightened up his position and stared at the agent seriously.

“What about him? Oh you gave him my number!” he hit Max on the arm.

“He was searching for you. He literally begged me to give him your contact. What to do?”

“I saw the number you gave, there was a burn stain on the paper. He was planning to burn it. Erased me. This incident was just—“

“But he still keeps it with him.”

“Still...” he shrugged his shoulders.

“Come on.... Just give it a shot.” Max leaned back to the bench feeling hopeless

“You, of all people, know me the most. You know I don’t belong to this world. I better off without sticking people on me.” Kyuhyun spoke gently. He knew telling Max excuses would annoy the doctor more.

“I, off all people, know that you are the frailest yet lovable person in the world, you deserve all the love in the universe... and today someone is volunteering to be part of your life, what did you call it again? Sticking to you...let him stick to you, two is better than one.”

“Or worse.” He turned his head to meet the now furious doctor “Max, no... I’m an agent, I don’t belong to anyone.”

“What? Are you going to shoot people using a cane at age 78?”

“Who knows I might die before 35.” Kyuhyun said haphazardly.

“Do you want me to knit your mouth shut permanently?” the doctor was officially annoyed and furious.

Kyuhyun’s eyes softened. He basically begged Max with his innocent look trying to win the argument “Max.....I love you, you know that.”

“Okay, one question and I won’t force you anymore.” Max stood up facing Kyuhyun “Do you love him?”

“What?” Kyuhyun blushed

“Do you love Capt.Choi Siwon?” Max recited

“Why are you suddenly asking me this?”

“If you can’t answer this simple question, then you shouldn’t make things complicated, Kyu. Let him try. Give him a chance.” Both stared at each other trying to reasoning their points. Then Max continued “He said he loves you by the way.”

Kyuhyun’s cheeks were getting warm with the revelation, he looked away; embarrassed.

“He thought of you all the time after you left, he didn’t even feel anything when he was near your attractive sister, and all he thought was you. Oh my God.... don’t tell me there is no butterfly inside your belly hearing all these stuffs. Come on.... you are a man, Kyuhyun... you have feelings... it’s just you put that aside.”

Kyuhyun turned his gaze to the floor, hand massaging his inside palm. He mumbled “What I am feeling right now is not important”

“It is.”

“Max...” he pleaded again.

“Kyu....I can help you taking him home tomorrow, but.... please talk to him later. You need it. Okay?” it was Max’s turn to beg “Please?

“I’ll see it then.”

“I took it as a yes.” Followed by a sigh from Kyuhyun.

 

***

9.30 AM. Two days after the surgery, Max decided to take Capt.Choi with him. The flight was taking off when Kyuhyun was standing outside the terminal building, made sure everything went as planned. Once the plane took off, Kyuhyun walked back to his car and got in, only to find the passenger sit was not empty anymore.

“Do you think I will lose the chance to see you again?” Capt.Choi grinned.

“Why are you here?” Kyuhyun was utterly speechless, both from seeing his first crush inside his car and the fact that his best friend just betrayed him.

“I hope I don’t ruin your friendship with dr.Shim. He is a very kind person.” He offered Kyuhyun a wide happy smile.

“I’ll sue him for spreading my numbers without my consent. And I’ll sue you for invading my private space and trespassing.”

“About that. I was planning to stop chasing you, but after last night... I changed my mind. I won’t stop.”

“What?” Kyuhyun tried not to blush at the comment, although it was failed because his fair skin just didn’t cooperate with him.

“For you to call your precious friend to pick me up and take me home, make sure I get there safe and sound, it was telling so much.”

“Telling what? Don’t get me wrong, Captain. I asked him to come because I didn’t want to meet you and Max owed me big time for giving away my phone numbers so carelessly.”

“My guts told me otherwise.”

“You don’t know what you are into.” Kyuhyun smirked

“I know, perfectly.” He suddenly moved closer and kissed the agent square on the lips before he was pushed hard by the latter. His head met the headrest, thankfully.

“Do you want to die so much?”

“It’s confirmed now!” Capt.Choi his own lips that had the taste of Kyuhyun.

“What?”

“I love you.”

“Your head hit too hard when we fell last time, you’re out of your mind, Captain.”

“I love you, I know it from the kiss.”

“How easy...”

“It’s not easy for me. Anyway, this is my first time seeing you without those girly outfits and long hair. I like you this way. No, I really really like you.”

“Stop saying nonsense.” Kyuhyun’s face suddenly changed after seeing a group of people went out of the airport. Siwon followed Kyuhyun’s gaze. “Get out now.” Kyuhyun spoke firmly.

“What? No. Do you have anything to do with them?” Kyuhyun’s eyes were still focusing on the group of people.

“You don’t want to get into this. Please get out now.” Kyuhyun gritted his teeth while speaking.

“No. I know who they are. They’ve been doing human trafficking for twenty years already but no one could put him in jail. They said not enough evidence. Remember about Eric? He worked for him too. No one could ever touch him”

“I’m going to.” Kyuhyun started the engine and followed the car of the yakuza.

“Is this your mission? Are you going to eliminate him?”

Kyuhyun didn’t answer the question, he just focused on following the car, and his face was deadly serious.

“Kyuhyun... I don’t think you could just bump head to head with him. It is too dangerous.”

“I’ve been waiting for this since 20 years ago.”

Capt. Choi went silent, he knew right away that this was not about mission anymore. Something must have happened in the past that make Kyuhyun became who he really was. Capt.Choi wanted to ask but it would be bothersome, he knew soon or later he would definitely get the answer.

They stopped 50 meters away from where the yakuza’s car stopped. Kyuhyun’s was still fierce, the eyes Capt.Choi had seen when they fought in the camp. There was anger and resentment, and all Capt.Choi thinking was how to comfort Kyuhyun without rubbing the past wound.

After some minutes monitoring the building from the car, Kyuhyun started the engine again and left with Capt.Choi still guessing on what would be his next move. There were four walls around Kyuhyun that blocked anyone who tried to get through. Capt.Choi clenched his hands for he hated what his mind told him of what the yakuza had done to Kyuhyun.

They arrived in a small hotel just some blocks from the building where the yakuza stayed. Kyuhyun didn’t say a word, not when they reached the room and Capt.Choi forced turning him around to face him. Kyuhyun’s eyes were haggard, he looked so weak and tired. Capt.Choi pulled him to his arms and Kyuhyun oddly gave in to the touch even though his body was as stiff as a wood.

Capt.Choi could feel Kyuhyun’s body started to relax in his embrace but not yet hug him back; since the captain didn’t hope for it, he just wanted to tell Kyuhyun that he was there, he would be there if he ever needed him.

Capt.Choi released Kyuhyun from the hug, touched his chin to make him look up. Once their eyes meet Capt.Choi saw everything, the longing in Kyuhyun’s eyes, the need to feel loved, the resentment, the anger, the frustration; all in one. No one knew who moved closer first, the thing they knew was just their lips met in the middle. They let go for a few seconds and stared at each other; the resentment and the anger were gone, changing into something more intense. So they kissed again with their lips moved in sync.

When the kiss deepened, Kyuhyun remotely cling to Capt.Choi’s shoulder. His fingers were circled around Capt.Choi’s neck while Capt.Choi gripped his hands on the small of Kyuhyun’s back.

It was something they couldn’t control; when Capt.Choi lifted Kyuhyun up on his laps and Kyuhyun circled his legs on the soldier’s waist, when their legs couldn’t hold it any longer and they decided to move to the small bed with grey sheet in the middle of the room. Everything was so fast; no one knew when did they started to remove each other’s clothes nor how they shoes ended up in the corner of the room and some sprawled near the desk.

The sound of the tickling clock was long neglected and covered by the voice of two human being worshipping every single part of each other’s body. Capt.Choi kissed every inch of Kyuhyun’s back, from the back of his head to the small of his back where there was butterfly tattoo on it. Capt.Choi stopped, his heart pondered at the sight of how beautiful it was to see this very special spot of Kyuhyun. He couldn’t help himself from touching it with his fingers and said “It’s beautiful”; before Kyuhyun flinched, his body stiffened and he suddenly turned around, while covering his body with the duvet. His back touched the frame of the bed made Capt.Choi flustered of a sudden protective gesture. Then Capt. Choi met Kyuhyun’s eyes; the insecurities he never seen was suddenly visible. It was all over Kyuhyun’s face. Capt.Choi sat up on the bed trying to figure out what had he done wrong to make Kyuhyun upset.

“Hey....” Capt.Choi whispered softly “What’s wrong? Did I hurt you? I’m sorry.”

Kyuhyun shook his head

“I’m sorry if you don’t lik -”

“No, it’s not that.” Kyuhyun looked up “I- I... that butterfly...” his expression turned fierce again.

“It’s beautiful.”

“No.” Kyuhyun replied shortly

“What about it?”

“It’s not beautiful. I wanted to get rid of it.” His voice cracked a little.

“Hey” Capt.Choi moved closer and held Kyuhyun’s fingers, massaged his knuckles gently “Spill it...”

“It was a sign I got when I was a slave.”

Capt.Choi couldn’t hide his surprise though he guessed since the start but to hear it right from Kyuhyun’s mouth gave him different emotions. He was beyond mad and there was already a scene on his head to chop every finger that ever lay on Kyuhyun’s body.

“Was it him?” Capt.Choi muttered carefully

“Yes, I was in a brothel business when I was 12. I was kicked home with nothing, only the clothes that stick to my body. Someone offered me help, said he’ll give me foods if I work for him. I didn’t know that I would be sold to jerks, day and night till I couldn’t differentiate the day, the seasons....years passed till I reached 17. He gifted me this tattoo on my birthday. I wanted to get rid of this butterfly because it was from that bastard but..... If it was not because of this tattoo, I would be a thing my entire life. I ran away after sticking the needle to the tattoo artist. I was sorry for him. He just did his job...”

Siwon listened without blinking his eyes, his heart raced in its ribcage, he wanted to skin all those people who hurt Kyuhyun, who forced him to do something he didn’t want to. He wanted them to feel the same five years of suffering Kyuhyun felt.

“But they made me who I am now. When I get out from there, what I want is to be an assassin, Max’s father sees the urge in me, he sent me to medical school as Max, but it didn’t give me satisfaction. I want to kill them all, I’ve killed half of them now. Then I realized revenge doesn’t give me pleasure. So I kill more, with purpose, now I get license to kill. They didn’t stop, there are many teenagers like me in that dirty business. No one will help them if I don’t.”

Capt.Choi tightened his grip on Kyuhyun’s hand. He then moved closer to take both of Kyuhyun’s hands and kissed every knuckle of his hands.

“I am with you on this.”

“No. This is my mission, not yours. Don’t dirty your hands with this case.”

“Even if you do not let me, I will still do this. Not only for you, but for Korean people who had been suffering because of them. This is my job as a soldier.” Capt.Choi spoke firmly and won Kyuhyun’s heart. Kyuhyun looked down at their intertwined hands. “This is my promise. Even if I have to go to hell to save you, I will do.”

 

 

***

“Capt. Choi...” Kyuhyun called out from the bathroom.

“What is it sweetheart?” Capt.Choi who was dressed up in a black suit walked to the bathroom door.

“I couldn’t zip this.” Kyuhyun peeked from inside.

“Zip....what?” Capt.Choi opened the door to the bathroom and was perplexed by the sight of Kyuhyun dressed in a long red gown. “What are you wearing?”

“Mission outfit.”

Capt.Choi was annoyed but still did what Kyuhyun asked for. “Why don’t you wear a suit like me too?”

“He is not gay. I can’t get his fingerprints if he doesn’t let me get closer to him.”

“Ah.... I get a better idea then.”

“What?”

“Why don’t I cut all his fingers to get us to open the case?”

“Whoa...you are cold hearted aren’t you?”

“Told you, I’m going to break hell for you.”

“We don’t have to do that. If he doesn’t have fingers, he can’t sign the paper in the court.”

“Oh well...”

“Come on. The party will start soon.”

 

 

***

As soon as the two agents arrived at the hotel for the party, they parted at the entrance, both of them communicate through the earpieces on their ears.

“Don’t let him go too far.” Capt.Choi mumbled through the earpiece

“How far is too far?” Kyuhyun smirked and glanced over at Capt.Choi who was standing near a table holding his glass of wine.

“I warned you.” Capt.Choi gritted his teeth seeing how Kyuhyun already made his move to the yakuza’s space. There were his men around him, but seeing the beautiful Kyuhyun in a y red dress with beautiful blonde hair, the yakuza couldn’t help himself enticed by him.

Once Kyuhyun sat on the yakuza’s laps he said “Your face looks familiar”

“Really? Well... I have been dreaming to meet you for years.”

“Really? How so?” the yakuza’s eyes challenged. Kyuhyun remembered how twenty years ago this same pair of eyes offered him a help and turned him into a play thing. He shook those feelings away and focused again on the mission.

“I am a fan. I wanted to know the feeling of serving the most powerful man in this country.” Kyuhyun whispered back.

He whispered in Kyuhyun’s ears. “Then serve me tonight.” The yakuza held Kyuhyun’s waist and lifted him up from his laps, he pulled Kyuhyun’s closer to him and walked inside his private room. Capt.Choi watched from the side with boiling emotion inside.

“Kyuhyun, I told you not to go this far.” But before Capt.Choi finished his talk, he could see Kyuhyun took off his earpiece and put it inside a glass of wine while passing the table before disappearing inside the yakuza room.

Capt.Choi was mad but he couldn’t do anything. He knew Kyuhyun knew what he was doing, it was just the image of the yakuza and Kyuhyun inside the room just killed him. Moreover he was afraid that Kyuhyun lose control and killed the yakuza instead of taking him to jail and finding out his entire network. They needed the yakuza alive to make the confession that business needed to stop for real.

Fifteen minutes, Siwon was success to get inside the yakuza's private room where the case was store. But Kyuhyun hadn’t given him anything, he wondered what happened to Kyuhyun, was he okay? Was he caught? But then a mail came to his phone. Siwon opened the mail it was an image of the fingerprints. Kyuhyun did get it. Then he scanned the fingerprints on the small screen on the case. It got through, Capt.Choi rushed to get all of the files and kept it inside his jacket. He also closed the door case before left the room to lessen the suspicion.

The mission was so easy for Capt.Choi. He went out without anyone noticing, been doing this kind of job for years made him as slick as an eel. Once he arrived at the car where he and Kyuhyun promised to meet after get done with the mission, he found the car was empty. Kyuhyun should be there judging by the time he sent the mail to Capt.Choi.

He called Kyuhyun but he got no answer, he was panicked and went out from the car to find a way to get inside again. But then his phone ringed.

“Kyuhyun where are you?”

“Are you outside already?” Kyuhyun’s voice was gasping

“Yes. I was in the parking lot.”

“Good.” At that word Siwon’s heart suddenly raced all of sudden; he knew that couldn’t be good. Kyuhyun has planned something else. Before Capt.Choi made a move, there was a loud explosion from inside of the building.

“No.” Capt.Choi ran towards the building but there were other big explosions came one after another. Capt. Choi ran and ran to the building even though the fire started spreading to the entrance. “No Kyuhyun... no... You wouldn’t do this to me.” He ran to the main entrance but he was stopped by someone.

“The hell you are doing!” Kyuhyun yelled.

“Kyu...hyun? I thought...”

“Let’s go.” They went inside the car and moved fast with Capt.Choi driving.

 

***

“Why didn’t you tell me that you are out?”

“I have no time.”

“Why did you burn them down? Don’t we need to take him to jail?”

“That was not me. Someone else was aiming for him. I think his insider in the police knew that agents are working for this yakuza case, so they needed to erase the evidence.”

“Don’t worry the evidences are safe with me.”

“Thank you.” But then a loud bang came from the right and left sides of their car. Shots were aimed to them from the car around them.

“Damn!” Capt.Choi hissed. “Are you okay?” He glanced at Kyuhyun who was preparing his revolver despite the shaking and bumping.

“I’m fine. I’ll take care of this.”

Kyuhyun pushed the button of the sunroof, he then climbed up and started aiming his gun to the shooters around them. Capt.Choi tried to shake the car and made one of the car overturned and exploded.

“Watch out. There is a tunnel.” Capt.Choi warned.

Kyuhyun has been practicing for years, he could aim perfectly even in the dark. Once they were blind in the tunnel, Kyuhyun shoot his entire enemy, but then there was a car came from the front once they out the car. Kyuhyun was thrown away from the car, with Capt.Choi was still inside the car, spinning. The guy who was inside the front car went out from the car while holding a gun, he was searching for Kyuhyun’s body. Before the guy found Kyuhyun, Capt.Choi ran to attack him and got a shot on the side of his stomach, but he still kicked the guy down and took over the gun and shoot the man in the head, twice.

 

Three days later

“Morning sunshine” was what Kyuhyun heard as soon as he opened his eyes. Everything was white and blurred. He squinted his eyes to adjust his new surroundings before he finally could see clearly the source of the voice. Choi Siwon. Bandaged on his shoulder and there was a bulge on his belly that was probably a piled of bandages too.

“Morning, sleeping beauty.” Capt.Choi muttered again, smiling. Kyuhyun stared at him. He didn’t know what to feel, after what happened between them and the mission...the failed mission.

“You are hurt, aren’t you?” Kyuhyun spoke softly

“I am fine. It was just a scratch.”

“I saw a man shoot you before I passed out.” Kyuhyun reached his hand to Siwon’s shirt, trying to picture the wound behind it.

“You’ve been sleeping for three days.” Capt.Choi stated

“It could be worse.” He looked away. Tears hanging in between his eyelashes. “You could be worse. This is my fault.”

“What? No...Kyuhyun... You’re the one laying on the bed for three days and now you’re blaming yourself for this single wound.”

“It could be worse!” Kyuhyun cried out.

Capt.Choi took Kyuhyun’s hand, sandwiched it with his hands, he gently until Kyuhyun looked at him again “Okay it could be worse. I could be worse, you could be worse. We could be. But this is who I am. I shoot and I got shoot, I could break one or two bones, I could be disable for the rest of my life, but I chose this, even in the next thousands life, I will still choose this.”

The tears finally dropped, then Kyuhyun spoke “This is who I am, I got licence to kill, I shoot and got shot, I had killed more numbers of people than my age, but I chose this, even in the next thousands life, I will still choose this.” At the end of his speech, Kyuhyun kissed Capt.Choi’s hands that enveloped his. Capt.Choi stood up to bend down and kissed Kyuhyun’s forehead.

“You know what... this is my first time listening to agents exchanging vows... very thrilling.” Max who was standing in the corner of the room suddenly spoke.

“Was you there all long?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Yes, sleeping beauty. Thanks for neglecting me.” He sent a smile that embarrassed Kyuhyun more.

“I heard everything and I give my blessing.” Capt.Choi smiled even wider. “Anyway, Dad called. The case of 15 years ago is reopened again. With the evidence you got, we’ll definitely win this time.”

“We will.” Both Capt.Choi and Kyuhyun said at the same time.

 

END__

 

regards,

Serena H