.o4: The Climb

Trapped

Her condo’s just 3 blocks away from mine! I can’t believe it took me this long to get here!

It was the wee hours in the morning, no sun yet, no moon either. I mean I had to walk 3 blocks of darkness with just my phone’s flash to light my way. Note to self: buy a real flashlight.

I head inside the condo, being familiar to security, he just let me walk in. Never had I been more glad to be wearing rubber shoes, when I realized that her unit’s up in the 18th floor and without any elevator, I’m sure I’m going to die.

Of course I went straight to the landlord’s office. I’m sure since nothing was working, they also do not know that people are trapped in one of the elevators.

While on my way there, I noticed this guy repeatedly pressing the elevator’s button. He can’t be serious right? It’s kinda obvious that there’s no electricity!

Hellooooo? Don’t you think what you’re doing is kinda stupid?” I snarkly asked. “If you weren’t informed, there’s a city wide power outage, pressing the button won’t do you any good. Plus, my friend’s inside. I’d rather not complicate things more with what you’re doing, doofus!”

The guy turned around and I was stunned for a few seconds. Dang! Doofus had to be a pretty boy!

“I am not a doofus, miss…”

“Hyeri,” I supplied.

“…miss Hyeri. My friend’s inside too. I was just trying my luck.”

“So you’re Johnny’s friend?”

“H-How’d you know, Johnny?” He was looking at me like it’s a sin to know his friend. What’s wrong with this boy? “Wait! Are you Seon Ah’s friend?”

It was my turn to give him a surly look. “How’d you know Seon Ah?”

He laughed at me. I would have hit him but he looked to pretty when he laughed.

“Guess our friends were both excited to show us who they were stuck with?” he asked lightheartedly.

“Maybe,” I shrugged then made my way to the landlord’s office. A few knocks after, the office door opened and out came with Mr. Choi.

“Ms. Jeon, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit this early in the morning?” he inquired, his lips as he looked at me up and down.

Joheun achimieyo, Mr. Choi,” I greeted him as I bowed. I noticed that my unexpected companion did the same thru my peripheral. “But the elevators…”

“Ah yes,” he cut me off while scratching his head. “Well, there’s a power outage so you kids just go use the stairs. It’s not like you don’t need the exercise anyway.”

Excuse me? Is he implying what I think he is? The nerve!

I didn’t notice that my fist was shaking in annoyance until I felt another hand grasping mine, as if trying to calm me down or at least stop me throwing a punch at this .

“We understand that we need to take the stairs to head up,” calmly said pretty doofus. “However, we would just like to inform you that our friends, your tenants, have been stuck in the elevator for 2 hours.”

He looked at the both of us, eyes wide in panic. “!

 

-x-

 

“So tell me,” he started. “Does he always do that to you?”

“Who does what to me?”

That guy, does he always look at you like that?” he clarified.

Ah, well,” I cleared my throat “he’s usually harmless. I don’t talk to him unless needed, which isn’t very often since I don’t live here. Seon Ah on the other hand is another story.”

“Well she won’t be having any issues with him again. I’m sure.”

Oh?”

“Gut feeling tells me so,” he surmised.

We were right up front the stairs when he turned to face me directly, his hand extended, posed in a handshake. I gripped his hand and shook it as he was expecting me.

“My name is Ten,” he introduced himself with a smile, his eyes almost disappearing. He may be a doofus, but he’s seriously pretty.

“My name is Hyeri,” I responded although I’ve already mentioned my name earlier.

“Well, Miss Hyeri, are you ready?” he chuckled, glancing at the flight of stairs we are about to climb.

I could only sigh in defeat. I mean, c’mon, that’s 18 floors! 18! “You’re not opposed to carrying people, are you?”

He laughed out loud as he already started climbing the stairs. Near the top flight, he turned back to face me, again with a smile plastered on his face. “I don’t think I am,” he started innocently, then an evil smirk replaced his sweet smile. “But you have to beg me to do it.”

My face scrunched up in disbelief. I hurried up and climbed the stairs to give him a piece of my mind but he was already way ahead of me, laughing at my sheer annoyance. Damn pretty doofus! I hate you!

 


 

Just in case you forgot that this story also includes Chittaphon, although a minor character, but here he is. Is he out of character here? Isn't Ten a playful boy? What are your thoughts?