.o3: Misunderstandings

Trapped

I was jolted awake when I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. I guess I was a bit restless when I fell asleep because now I’m curled up on the floor with Johnny’s coat covering me. I noticed that he was on the other side of the elevator. I slowly sat up while rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand.

I took a glance at him and saw that he was busy fiddling with his phone and he’s grinning like a lunatic. God! Is he texting his friends or is he reporting back to his girlfriend?

My internal panic-attack was cut short when I received a message from Hyeri.

 

Girrrrrrl! He’s so pretty! Why are you always the lucky one?

 

Lucky? How the hell am I lucky? His girlfriend’s probably waiting for him to get out of this cage and will be ready with arms wide open and jump him right then and there and coo at him saying that she was so worried about him and that she missed him and that he shouldn’t do that again and how scared she was and—

Panic mode intercepted again when my phone started to ring, Fifth Harmony’s Worth It blasting off the speakers. Said tone was specifically assigned to one person.

Yoboseyo? Yoojin-ah, are you here already?” I nervously asked. I was getting anxious and my inner ramblings about who Johnny’s messaging with was not helping me keep the anxiety away. “Please, please tell me that you’re already here to save me.”

Don’t get your up in a bunch, girly!” she attempted to placate me. “Although in this instance I hope you still have them on.” And she had the audacity to giggle. Giggle! At a time like this!

Yah, Kim Yoo Jin!” I let out of frustration. I’m being whiny and pathetic but who wouldn’t be? I’ve been trapped in this damn elevator for 3 hours already!

Chill, b! Both Hyerin and I are already here,” she finally decided to inform me. “Fire department and electric company are on their way. Just 5 more minutes. Can you wait by then?”

I let out a sigh. What kind of question was that? I’m trapped in an elevator, what other thing would I be doing if I could not wait for 5 more minutes to be saved?

I heard that!” she responded, pretending to be mad. I guess I said that out loud. “But I get it, obviously you have all the time to wait—

“Unless I die before the 5 minutes is up.”

Negative much?” I can just imagine her one of her eyebrows raised as she states this. “Anyway, how is Johnny?

“Doing good, I guess?”

What kind of response is that? Why the sudden glumness in your tone?

I covered my mouth so I didn’t have to speak so louder. “I think he’s texting with his girlfriend.”

His what? How’d you know he’s taken?

I didn’t get the chance to answer her as I heard her put her phone down and was talking to someone else. Unfortunately, she was too far for me to hear what she was saying. I was about to end the call when I heard another voice on the line.

Seon Ah?” she called out to me, worry laced in her voice.

“Hyerin!” I cried out, glad that I still had a friend who was concerned about me. “Where did Yoojin go?”

“Mianhe, she’s just trying to confirm something with someone.”

“Someone? Who is this someone?” my voice was rising up. I’m not sure if it’s panic or it’s in annoyance.

I could hardly keep my attention to what Hyeri was saying because Johnny then decided to sit right beside me again. He took my hand with his and asked me what was wrong.

“It’s nothing,” I responded casually as I removed my hand from his. I’d like to stop whatever this is that I’m feeling while it’s still this early. “I’m okay, really. Sorry you had to stop what you were doing to check up on me.”

“What?” he answered confusedly. “Sorry, my friends are being asses telling me to savor the moment while I’m stuck here with you.”

Wait. What???

I was so surprised by what he said that my head hit the metal wall of the elevator. I immediately felt his hand on the back of my head, rubbing the sore spot.

My little accident must have triggered something because the elevator box jolted a bit and it moved down a notch, which in turn killed the emergency lights. Now it’s all pitch dark and all I could do was cling on to the only other person with me, fearing for our lives.

My hands were trembling as I gripped the front on his shirt, almost ripping them. I didn’t even realize I was crying until I felt his thumbs rubbing wiping them away from my eyes.

“I’m scared,” I admitted to him. I was joking when I told Yoojin that I could still wait 5 more minutes unless I die, I wasn’t expecting that it would come true. Am I destined to die like this?

“We’ll be okay,” he assures me, cupping my face in his hands. If we could only see thru darkness I know he’s staring back directly at me while he tells me this. “Helps on the way, ok?”

I wanted to believe him, I really wanted to. But tomorrow isn’t always guaranteed. I’m such a pessimist. What a downer, right?

I suddenly felts his thumb tracing my lips, then his face closer to mine. I could feel our breath mix in and I swear I could hear his heart beating with mine. I’m not sure if any one of us was planning for this to happen but I just decided to close my eyes and let things be.

With the silence around us, I suddenly heard another voice calling my mine. I moved away from him to see what was It about only to see my phone’s screen light up. I had completely forgotten that I was still talking to Hyeri. I immediately picked up my phone and talked back to her.

Seon Ah! What the hell? Why weren’t you answering me? What happened to you?” she shot back rapidly.

“I hit my head on the wall then all the lights turned off,” I sobbed.

Oh my goodness! Are you ok? What about Johnny?

“God, Hyeri! The elevator moved down a bit, and I’m so scared. I had no other choice but to cling on to him and everything’s a mess Hyeri,” I rambled on. “…and I kissed him.”

Mwo???????