Of Comfort and Operations

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene knocked on Amber’s door. It opened. Amber waved her inside. Joy and Yeri were looking through files. Wendy was on her laptop. A USB drive stuck inside of it. Krystal was collapsed on one of the beds with her eyes closed.

The atmosphere was studious. The kind that Irene liked. She walked over to Wendy and sat down next to her on the bed. It took her weight without complaint. Wendy acknowledged her with a small smile that didn’t reach her eyes. She pulled up a file from the drive and turned the laptop towards Irene.

“So this is what the police had on my brother.”

Irene stared at Wendy. She didn’t like it. She didn’t like her flat tone and dull expression and the detached air around her. If she was going to be honest, it reminded her too much of herself. Irene took the laptop off of Wendy’s lap and set it down on the bed. She grabbed her wrist and stood up. She pulled her outside with her.

“Irene, what are you doing?”

Irene stopped. She turned to Wendy and looked her straight in the eyes. Right now, there was confusion. But beneath it, Irene could see hurt and pain and cracks in the flawless exterior that Wendy had shown since day one.

“You don’t have to hide,” Irene said.

Wendy’s eyes widened. She looked away. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You don’t have to pretend like it doesn’t bother you.”

Wendy let out a poor imitation of a laugh. “You’re being silly, Irene.”

Irene’s jaw clenched. Her hands turned into fists. She made herself relax. She stepped forward and put a hand on Wendy’s shoulder. “Stop acting like it doesn’t hurt, Wendy. There’s no possible way it doesn’t. No one is going to blame you for showing that you’re hurting. Not for something like - ”

“Fine! It hurts! It hurts, okay?! But what am I supposed to do? This is a - this is just a mission! I’m an agent, and I have to do this professionally! Who cares if it’s my brother? He was a member of the Maple Leaf! I have a job to do, and I’m doing it, Irene! What more do I need to do?! I gave up everything for this agency! I decided that after the officials said that my brother was murdered! I studied day and night to get here! I gave up my childhood to be where I am now! So who cares if this is an operation for my brother?! This is what I came here for anyway!”

Irene stared as Wendy stood in the middle of the hallway. There were tears sliding down her cheeks, she was gasping for air. Irene smiled softly. This was what she’d wanted. For Wendy to let things out. Let things out so it wouldn’t eat her from the inside. If there was even the slightest soft spot she had, it would be for Wendy.

Irene stepped forward and hugged the younger woman. Wendy tensed, then collapsed against Irene. Muffled sobs filled the empty hallways. Irene just held Wendy closer.

 

Seulgi woke up with a clear head and the memories of a goldfish. Alcohol tended to do that to her. She vaguely remembered hair pulling but nothing more. She nearly fell off the bed when she spotted a dark figure in front of the window.

“Holy !” Then, “Irene?”

“Yes.”

Seulgi breathed out in relief. She swung her legs off the bed. Looked at the clock on the bedside table.

11:31 p.m.

“How long have I been out?”

“Eight hours.”

“Damn. Did we get the information?”

“Yes.” A pause. Then, “You’re a crazy drunk.”

Seulgi laughed. “Yeah, I’ve heard that one before.”

“You called me a bunny.”

“Did I really? Did I do anything else?”

“You tackled Krystal to the ground in the police station. Do you really not remember anything?”

“No, I don’t. Alcohol tends to do that to me.”

“You only drank half a beer.”

“Yeah, I have little to no defense when it comes to alcohol.”

Irene stood up and walked towards her. Seulgi stayed still. She walked closer until she was standing right in front of her. All of the lights were off and the only source of light was from the windows. Seulgi couldn’t make out the woman’s expression. But she had an idea that even if she could see Irene’s face, she would get nothing out of it.

“Can I ask you a question?”

Irene’s voice seemed to be carefully neutral. Seulgi had a foreboding feeling. She swallowed, then nodded.

“Do you have family?”

Seulgi froze. Her body tensed. Why was Irene asking her something like that? All of a sudden? Seulgi’s eyes widened. Could she have possibly said something that she wasn’t supposed to say?

“Why are you asking me this?”

“It’s not a difficult question, is it?”

Seulgi stood up. She brushed past Irene. “I don’t have to answer to you.”

Seulgi walked into the bathroom. Irene didn’t stop her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter