Of Rescues and Failures

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy lounged on the black leather chair they’d given her at her request. There was a table in front of her. It had her favorite snacks piled up on it. She took another chip out of the bag. She knew that everything that they were doing for her was to appease her. To make sure she didn’t try anything funny. And she wouldn’t. Because she trusted her team. They would get her out. And until then, Joy would enjoy herself.

There were two guards stationed in front of the three doors that conjoined the room she was in with others. Another guard stood five feet away from her. She waved him over. The guard stared at her for a good three seconds. He walked towards her.

“Hey, can I get some coffee? I want to stay awake when my team gets here. You know, don’t want to miss the best part,” she said. She tossed another chip into . Grinned.

The guy looked down at her. She could see his jaw flexing.

“Of course.”

 

The van stopped half a block away from the building in an alleyway. It was ten at night. The streetlamps glowed yellow. Plenty of people were walking down the streets. Presumably because they were in the middle of a shopping district. Irene instinctively placed her hand against her hip, fingers brushing against the of her gun. It was reassuring. It was calming.

“Okay, everyone, checking earpieces,” Wendy said.

Irene placed her fingers against her right ear. A familiar crackle sounded, and then Wendy’s voice seeped through.

“Can everyone hear me?”

“Yes.”

Irene watched as Krystal nudged Seulgi on the arm. Krystal wasn’t part of the team, but two tanks on the field would be better than one.

Wendy typed something into her laptop. Irene blinked at the image that popped up into her vision. A year ago, SM had designed digital contact lenses that could have important things sent into agents’ visions directly. It was simple and more than handy in a mission. Irene had been one of the first to use it.

“Okay, does everyone see the map I’ve sent out?” Wendy asked.

Along with Wendy’s interrogation skills, she also had skills in coding and hacking and anything related to technology. Irene had figured it out when Wendy had been put into her team a year ago for a mission in Japan. Wendy had been phenomenal.

“Yeri, you’ll be with me. Krystal will be with Seulgi. Wendy will be monitoring us and sending important information from the van. The two of you,” Irene pointed to Krystal and Seulgi, “will go around to the back. Yeri and I will meet them in front. Remember, this is a rescue mission. One of our own agents. After we get her out, the other teams will come in. Do not put your guards down. This group is highly trained and dangerous.”

“And we’ll keep in touch through the earpieces,” Seulgi said.

“Exactly.”

Irene and Yeri were in agency issued uniforms. Seulgi and Krystal were in civilian clothing. Yeri and Irene would go in head-on like the Maple Leaf had planned. Krystal and Seulgi, on the other hand, would go in secretly. They still had a mission to complete. One that didn’t involve Joy’s capture. Park Sujin had two agents stationed in her home. She had understood.

“Okay, Team 2, this is your stop. Good luck.”

Seulgi and Krystal climbed out of the car. They looked around before exiting the alleyway. The door closed and the van started up again. They backed out to the other end. An agency car stood idle near the curb.

“It would be odd if you two showed up in a full van, right?” Wendy said.

Irene nodded.

 

The car slowed to a stop in front of Jung & Co. The building was at least one hundred meters tall and made of navy blue glass. Four guys in black came up to greet them. Irene stepped out. She heard Yeri follow behind her.

“Frost will see you now.”

The albino. There was no doubt that Frost was the albino they’d seen at the bomb site. The men led them in. The interior was just as impressive as the exterior. They led them to the elevator. They were sleek silver. They slid open. Two of the guys filed in. The other two stayed behind. Irene and Yeri walked in after. One of the guys reached over and pressed the button for the thirty-sixth floor. Irene felt the elevator move. It was smooth and silent. She felt a touch at her hip. She grabbed the guy’s hand and slammed him against the wall. She pinned her forearm against his neck.

Irene saw Yeri pull out her gun and aim it at the other guy.

“What was that?” she asked calmly.

“Gun. You have a gun,” he choked out.

“Did you expect us to come here without protection? Do not touch me again.”

She let go of him. Turned back around to face forward. She saw Yeri put her gun back into place. The rest of the ride up was silent. The elevator stopped. The doors opened.

“Welcome, agents.”

Frost stood a few feet away. He was wearing a black suit. It contrasted against his skin. He was tall and he was thin and he had his sunglasses off. His eyes were a shocking red. Bright to the point it seemed to glow. He stepped forward with his hand outstretched.

Irene took it.

“I remember you. You’re the smart one.”

He turned to Yeri. “And I don’t remember seeing you there.”

Yeri stayed silent.

Frost laughed. “Point taken.”

“Where is our agent?” Irene said.

“Direct, aren’t you? Not that I don’t respect that.”

“Where’s Joy?” Yeri asked.

Frost’s eyes flicked from Irene to Yeri before he nodded. “The Boss told me to show you to her. Let’s go.” He paused. Turned around again. “Oh, right. And you two. Go back down.”

The two guys nodded. The elevator dinged.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter