Of Siblings and Proposals

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The team was called to the Head. There were no questions and there was no time to spare. Joy knew that there would be no holding back. This was Lee they were talking about, the founder of their organization. Messing with him was the quickest way to declaring war. And they had done it. Now, it was personal. The agency never took well with personal.

Joy led the trio. Wendy had reported that they’d lost connection with the Field Team moments ago, which meant that they may or may not have been compromised. It was a sticky situation. She’d never liked sticky situations. She liked them plain and simple and clean. Anything otherwise was simply a pain in the and a waste of time.

“Do you think they’re okay?” Wendy asked.

“Knowing those two, they’re probably kicking right now. I wouldn’t worry too much.”

They reached the door and Joy knocked twice then walked in. They’d called for them so there was no sense in waiting for an answer. The Higher Ups were waiting. They were seasoned, veteran agents, the counsel to Lee’s leadership. Joy had only seen them once before. And because she’d only seen them once, there was no trusting them. Every word would be weighed. She knew it would be the same for Yeri and Wendy. They weren’t complete idiots.

“Welcome, agents. As you know, Director Lee has been taken.”

It was a woman speaking. Tall, blonde, and in her early thirties at most. She was clearly speaking for the Head. She looked and sounded the part at least. Joy could give her that. She scanned the rest of the group. There was a nearly even mix of men and women. All clearly older than the woman in front of them, which meant that they’d chosen the youngest of the bunch to represent in hopes that communication would be easier. At least they didn’t look as if they’d let go. They were obviously fit. Their eyes were clear. Intelligent. Just as an agent’s eyes should be. She was glad.

“Yes, obviously. We wouldn’t have been called up otherwise would we?”

Sarcasm was her weapon. She used it wisely. The corners of the woman’s lips twitched upwards. As if she was amused. Joy wasn’t sure if that was good or bad. Probably good. Less likely bad.

“I suppose not. I presume introductions are in order. My name is Lee Dabin. Younger sister of Director Lee. It’s a pleasure to be of acquaintance.”

Joy stared. Then blinked, then stared again. Younger sister. Which meant that Lee had family, which was a foreign concept to her for reasons unknown. She’d always assumed him to be detached from anything other than his agency. Clearly, she’d been wrong.

“You’re his younger sister.”

“Yes. Is it that surprising?” she said with a smile.

“Well, we know who the better sibling is.”

“Joy!” Wendy hissed.

There was laughter. Not just from the younger Lee but the others, too. She took that as a good sign. Agents with humor were right up her alley. She could work with them. There was movement as they collected themselves and Joy did the same. It was back to business. The banter had been purely to size the other up. She assumed she’d passed.

“So, what’s our mission? Our skills won’t be put to waste, will they?”

Lee Dabin shook her head, smiled. “Of course not. We need to use every asset we have, and you three are our biggest assets.” She turned her attention to Wendy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter