Of Keys and Possible Impossibilities

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy jammed on her gloves, pulled up her hood, and opened the car door. She stepped outside. She immediately felt her nose go numb. She heard the crunch of another pair of boots behind her.

“I wonder if there’re any bakeries around here.”

Joy turned around. “Seriously? We’re investigating a murder and you’re asking for a bakery?”

Yeri grinned and said, “Just asking.”

Joy shook her head. She could see the bright yellow caution tape placed across a narrow alleyway between a clothes store and a bakery. Amazing.

“There’s your dream come true,” Joy deadpanned.

“I knew it!”

A police car was parked in front of the clothes store. Its engine was still running. She could see a man that looked to be in his mid-twenties sitting in the driver’s seat. He was playing with his phone.

Joy rolled her eyes before walking up to the black and white car and knocking on the window. The guy startled before looking through the glass. Joy stepped back as he opened the door. He was only an inch or two taller than Joy. He seemed to notice. He straightened up and puffed out his chest. He was scrawny. His uniform didn’t fill out like it was supposed to. There was a coffee stain down the front of it and it was wrinkled. His crooked name tag read Shin Taejoon.

“What can I do for you? Is there some kind of trouble?” The guy was trying to make his voice sound deeper. The strain was obvious in every syllable.

Joy lifted a brow. “I’m sure your chief told you about us.”

His brows furrowed. “Chief? What are you talking about? Look, kid. If there’s nothing wrong, you and your friend should go run along so I can do my work, alright?”

Joy scoffed. She heard Yeri laugh quietly behind her. Joy reached into her pocket and pulled out her SM badge. She shoved it in the guy’s face. His eyes comically widened. Joy shoved it back into her pocket.

“Did you ever wonder why you were out here with the caution tape up even after the body’s been cleared and your guys searched the place?” she asked. The guy said nothing. Joy shook her head. “Come on, hurry up so we can get this over with.”

The guy immediately walked to the yellow caution tape. He slid under it and held it up for them. When they got through, Joy started to inspect the area.

“I don’t know why you guys are here. Like you said, we already searched the place.”

“Yeah? And we can trust the police force when they have a guy like you on hand?”

The guy shut up again. Joy heard Yeri walk further into the alleyway as she knelt down in the snow in front. She sifted through it with gloved hands. No blood stains anywhere. Clean. Spotless. Then, she spotted something shining under the snow. She pushed the ice away before picking it up. It was a key. New by the look of it. She stood up before her jeans could get soaked. She brushed off the clinging snow on her knees.

“Yeah. You guys scoured the place real good,” she said, holding up the key. “No one came in here except for your guys, right?”

“Yeah.”

“And none of them are missing keys.”

The guy swallowed. “No.”

“Good. Yeri, let’s go.”

Joy felt Yeri’s presence beside her after a moment. Joy walked back to the caution tape and pulled it up for Yeri. She slid under it after her and then let it snap back into place before the guy was halfway through. He grunted but said nothing. Joy put her hands into her pockets.

“Alright. You have our clear. You can undo the caution tape and go back to desk duty or something.”

The guy glared briefly before nodding and turning around.

Joy turned around to see the agency car behind her and the driver looking at her. She motioned towards the bakery and he nodded. Yeri squealed and latched onto her arm.

“Just because I’m hungry.”

“Whatever you say, Sooyoungie.”

 

Seulgi couldn’t get the image out of her head. It was seared into her brain. Pale, milky skin, black bra stark against it. And she’d seen it. The scar. She’d only registered it after she’d stumbled out of the bathroom, but it had been there. Long and shiny and ugly against otherwise admittedly flawless skin. It was a scar that started at her left collarbone and ran diagonally across to the middle of her chest. Not recent. Not too old, either.

She heard the car door open. Cold air practically blasted against her face. Irene was climbing out. Seulgi quickly followed after her. Her boots sunk into the snow with a satisfying crunch. It was freezing. At least there was no wind. A few police cars were scattered here and there. Cops in uniform strolled towards their designated vehicles with cups of steaming coffee in hand. Seulgi could kill for a hot coffee.

Irene suddenly turned to her. “Don’t start any fights in there.”

Seulgi frowned. “What do you take me for? Some gang member off the street?”

Irene merely gave her a long, steady look before making her way up the steps to the police station. She would never get over how cold the woman was. Irene opened the door to the police station. Seulgi followed. Warm air blasted her this time. She felt the first painful ache of thawing in her face and hands. She could feel the familiar feeling of having people watch her. All eyes were on them. She wasn’t the least bit uncomfortable.

Irene walked to the main desk a guy who seemed to be in his mid-thirties looked up from his computer. His brow raised before he seemed to realize who they were. He straightened up.

He said, “Are you from SM Agency?”

Irene said, “Yes.” She pulled out her badge from her pocket, showed it to the guy, and put it back.

Seulgi imitated her.

“The chief’s been waiting. I’ll take you to him.”

The guy motioned a woman over. Presumably to ask her to man his station until he got back. Probably a close friend. He then walked towards the right side of the station. They reached a dark wood door. The guy knocked and then walked in.

“Chief, the agents are here.”

Seulgi followed in after Irene. A man was seated behind a desk. Unlike Lee, this man was short, overweight, and lacked any sort of charisma that should come from a leader. Irene had more presence than he did. His hair showed signs of graying, his uniform was rumpled, and dark bags sagged beneath his tired eyes. Seulgi couldn’t help but pity him.

“Ah, agents from SM?”

“Yes,” Seulgi said.

“I’m glad you could make it. Please, sit down.”

Seulgi took a seat. So did Irene. The chief waved his hand dismissively at the guy behind them. The sound of the door closing sounded. The chief let out a deep sigh before straightening in his chair and properly facing t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter