Emotional roller coaster

Like father like son

Three weeks had passed and Chansung was back to his old chaotic self. He had been down for a few days, but after he realized how much his group mates worried about him, he pulled himself together. Now everything was back to normal and they were currently in their dance practice room. They had just taken a break. Minjun and Junho lied down on the big black leather couch, Chansung sat on the floor, leaning against the mirrored wall and the rest was gone to get some food and drinks.

“Chansung! You never told us you have a son!” Nichkhun yelled as he came back with Wooyoung and Taecyeon. Called member just looked at them with widened eyes and the ‘WTF!?’ was written all over his face. It made them laugh while they put the food between them and also the Junbros joined them on the floor.
“You’re so easy to confuse! Chill down, man! It’s just that outside was a pre-school group and one of them looked like a young version of you!“ Wooyoung explained. All of them were laughing, but Chansung’s thought just went crazy. Pre-school group… that means the children were around 5 years old. Sangmi disappeared around 5 and a half years ago. It was NOT possible that the child the others just saw was really his son, was it? Sangmi didn’t disappear because she was pregnant, did she?

The next days went by without something unusual or strange. Chansung’s thoughts also calmed down. But exactly one week later it happened again. “Hey, Channie, your mini-me was outside again!” Wooyoung grinned as they entered the practice room with food. “And I managed to take a photo! I already send it to you”, Nichkhun added and Chansung grabbed his phone, looked at the photo.
Damn. It really was his mini-me. It felt like he was looking at a photo of himself, taken many many years ago. He was close to run outside to look for the pre-school group himself. But he just grinned. “Wow, we really look alike! Cute~” And everyone was laughing again.

Chansung did his best to act normal, but he never had a harder time to concentrate and focus. He couldn’t stop thinking about the possibility that this child was in fact his son. To his luck this time the others didn’t seem to notice his mood change.
At least not until three days later, when Junho overheard a phone call Chansung made when they came back to the dorm in the early afternoon.
“...... Yes, of course it’s important! What are you thinking, hyung? ...... Well, she is back ...... Sangmi is back, you idiot! ...... I’m afraid yes. That’s the reason I never had a proper relationship afterwards and mostly just one night stands ...... Yeah, just make fun about me when I try to tell you something important!”
To say that Junho was confused was an understatement. What the hell was Chansung talking about?
“The point is: I’m a dad to a five-year old boy. ...... No, I’m not crazy! It’s a long story ...... Tomorrow is fine. The usual café?...... Okay, see you tomorrow!” He ended the call and turned around, only to petrify right away. “Nuneo! How much have you heard?” he asked and gulped. Junho’s face was blank. “Enough.”
Chansung knew that there was no way to lie his way out now. So the two youngest member went to the living room, where everyone soon gathered. And then Chansung told his story to his hyungs.

*****  

Chansung was nervous. No, he wasn’t nervous. His nerves were tensed like never before, his palms were sweating and he chewed his bottom lip. His breath was uneven and his heart was beating hard against his ribs. Not even their debut day made him that nervous.
“They should come by any moment, Chansung.” Nichkhun tried to calm him down. After he had told his hyungs about Sangmi and the possibility of him really being the father of the little pre-school boy, the others were surprised but supporting. So now it weren’t Nichkhun, Wooyoung and Taecyeon as usual to buy food. All six of them were sitting in the small restaurant, where they regularly brought their take out. And right on time a group of pre-schoolers went by, a teacher in the front and one at the end to protect them.
Chansung’s eyes directly found the one boy he was looking for. And seeing him up close set a whole lot of feelings inside of him free. “He looks like me… but he has Sangmi’s eyes and her ears… and he even has the same birthmark she has, directly in the middle of his neck.” he whispered and nearly crushed Junho’s hand he was holding for support.
Was there more confirmation needed? Chansung was now more than sure, that this little boy was indeed his son. All he wanted to do was run outside, but he knew he couldn’t. He wasn’t able to walk anyway. His body was shaking and without even realizing it, tears run down his face. “I’m a father…” he said and still looked out of the window, also the children had already passed and were out of sight.

“Well, congrats then! Who thought that our maknae will be the first to form a family?” Taecyeon, who sat on the other side next to him, said smiling and hugged him. “We’re not a family… He has my genes, but I’m not his parent. He knows nothing about me, I know nothing about him. Not even his name…” Chansung whispered and now the member realized why he was so sad. Chansung was never a crybaby. But suddenly being a father definitely made emotional.
“Well, I searched for the school’s logo and name they had on their jackets. It’s not far from here.” Minjun said, his eyes still on his phone. “Just go there. I’m sure you’ll meet Sangmi.” he suggested and the others nodded. “But we still have practice and-“, Chansung started, but the oldest interrupted him. “Hwang Chansung!! You don’t really want to continue with this stupid dance practice for a dance you could also do perfectly if I woke you up in the middle of the night, do you? Get your out of here and to the school! You have a right to talk to Sangmi and to get to know the boy. If you’re not out of this restaurant in the next 15 seconds, I’m going to drag you there myself!!”
The youngest looked at his hyungs and stood up. “I love you guys. Seriously. Thank you.” He bowed slightly and went out after Minjun told him the address. That his hyungs were that supportive meant a lot to him.

It really wasn’t far and five minutes later Chansung stood in front of the pre-school. His heart was still beating faster and harder than normal. Was this a good idea? He wanted to see Sangmi and his son, maybe even talk to them. But there was also fear. Because now he realized more than ever that he still loved her with all his heart and he didn’t believe that she’d also still love him. Maybe she had a new boyfriend, or even a husband, being a happy family... But then again there were also so many unanswered questions about their past. About why she was suddenly gone and never told him she was pregnant in the first place. And he wanted answers.

Some parents were coming out of the building with their children. And another few minutes later Chansung’s tears started to fall silently. Out came Sangmi with the little boy on her hand. She had changed, but it was definitely her. Her once long and dark brown hair was now short and caramel brown. But the way she walked and gesticulated was the same. And so was her beautiful smile.
She hadn’t noticed him yet, but the boy did. He stopped in his tracks and stared at Chansung. “Jaehyunnie, what’s wrong?” Sangmi asked and followed her son’s look, only to widen her eyes in shock. And also Chansung got a shock when the young boy hesitantly looked between his mother and Chansung, mumbling an irritated “Eomma… he’s my appa, isn’t he? He looks like the man in the pictures!”  
But Sangmi didn’t seem to hear her son. All she did was staring at Chansung, also already crying. Both adults were staying a few feet away from each other, having so much thoughts and feelings inside of them. It was like time suddenly stood still, just the two of them existing.
Automatically Chansung moved forward, so they were only an arm length apart. “You’re back.”, he whispered with a broken voice and sobbed uncontrollably now. And at the same time both took another step forward and crashed into a tight embrace, holding onto each other like you hold onto a piece of wood while drowning.

Chansung’s head was spinning. Her warmth, her smell, her everything. He couldn’t believe it was real, that Sangmi was really in his arms, crying as much as himself. And then there was this little boy, Jaehyun, standing beside them, obviously confused. “Eomma? Appa?” he asked again and the adults broke their embrace to look at him.
Chansung squatted down to be on eye level with his son, after Sangmi nodded. His eyes were red and wet and he tried to wipe away his tears, but he smiled nonetheless. “Hey young boy”, he said and looked at his mimi-me, who smiled brightly at him with the same wide goofy grin as his own. Chansung was at loss of words because of all the similarities. Just a moment later the young boy threw himself into the man’s arms and hugged him. “I’m so happy that I can meet you now, appa!” he laughed carefree. Children were so innocent and pure and all Chansung could do was hugging the boy. It was an amazing feeling to know that this little kid was his son.

“Do you have time now? I mean would you… would you come home with us? I think we have a lot to talk about.” Sangmi’s words were hesitant, but she had a smile on her lips, seeing father and son finally together. Chansung nodded and stood up. He was more than willing to go and get some explanations. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, maybe a few of you guessed something like that from the story's title xD
What do you think about Chansung as a daddy? :D