Anxiety

Stupid Anxiety
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He’s waiting patiently for a promised spectacular dish his wife has been talking since they woke up this morning. The lady of the house has turn her hobby from extreme sports to cooking and he has to say that he’s impressed with how quick her skills level up. During their college time, his wife was ‘okay’ with her cooking skill, at least if he really missed a kimchi soup or a simple japchae the woman of his dream can make that perfectly for him.

These days however, Han Sera writes down every single meal into her schedule calendar as her way to lure her husband to eat at home, even during lunch. Since he opened his own private practice, Kyuhyun now has more time for themselves because he’s not tied up to the cooperate schedule any longer.

“Here you goooo..” Sera brings out a medium sized oval plate to the table and put in in between them. “Today’s breakfast is goat cheese and spinach quesadilla.” She announces her creation proudly to her husband.

Kyuhyun scoffs and rolls his eyes. He hates eating vegetables and Han Sera has make it her mission to sneak any kind of veggies into their diet. He can’t say no to her cooking obviously since he doesn’t want to hurt her pride as a woman, so he gladly takes his portion and give it a try.

“It’ll be perfect to combine with red wine Sera-ya.” He chews his food halfheartedly but secretly grateful that Sera didn’t put too much spinach in his portion.

“Ya! It’s not even nine yet.” She gives him a glass of water instead. “You need to look out for your health Kyu, it’s the most precious thing in life. I think we learned that from my experience the hard way.”

She places her left hand under her chin as she let her mind wander to the past. Even though She’s now living a wonderful life with her best friend that turns into her husband, she can’t forget the horrible experience she had three years ago while she’s waiting for a heart transplant to keep her alive.

He smiles and swallows down his quesadilla, “I know, thanks for looking after me.” He stretches his hand to hold hers across the table.

“By the way, I’ll make roast beef with vegetable gratin for lunch. I just subscribe to this awesome channel and it gives mouthwatering recipes everyday..”

“Ah, I forget to tell you,” He remembers about something, “I can’t have lunch at home, I’m meeting a client.”

She pouts , if it’s up to her, she really wishes Kyuhyun will just work at home and not at his own office. His job sometimes requires him to go outside of the city—even outside of the country—to collect supporting evidence for his clients and sometimes that makes her restless for a reason she hasn’t understand yet.

“Dinner then?” She widens her eyes, trying to negotiate.

“Don’t wait up, I don’t know when I’ll finish.” He takes another bite of his breakfast. “I have to follow my client to her farm in Jeongson, she needs to find a real evidence of her accuse that her husband is doing a money laundry using her family’s land field there.”

“She?” Sera lifts one of her eyebrow.

Kyuhyun nods.

“So you’ll meet her there?”

“I’m picking her up actually, I made my appointment at nine o’clock,” he takes a look on his wrist watch. “Which means I need to go now.”

“You’re not going to finish your breakfast?” She shoots him with a sharp look, annoyed by the idea of her husband will take a long ride together with another woman.

Kyuhyun stuffs the rest of his meal into his mouth, chew it quickly then gulps down his whole glass of water she prepared. “I just finish my breakfast.” He grins at her then get up.

Her eyes follow his move and when his face get really close to hers, she lifts her chin so Kyuhyun can peck her on the lips.

“Who’s your client’s name?” She asks while acting to be cool.

“Lee Ahra. Why?”

She shakes her head slightly, “Noting, just curious.”

“You’re not gonna stalk her, do you?” Kyuhyun messes with her hair and gives her another kiss on the forehead.

“Please.” She rolls her eyes, “I don’t have time for that.”

She gets up from her seat, helps Kyuhyun with his briefcase and walk him to the front of their house to send her husband off. As he drives by, Sera gets in with a new plan for today—finding Lee Ahra bio in Kyuhyun’s files.

She knows that it’s illegal for her to do that, but it’s not like she’s going to do anyone any harm by doing it. She knows how Kyuhyun is bonded by his oath to guard his client’s confidentialities and he rarely talks about his cases, unless it’s too bizarre to keep to himself.

After she cleaned up all the utensils she used to cook the breakfast, Sera get herself into Kyuhyun’s study room and begins searching his case file that he keeps neatly in a labeled container. His tidiness has make it very easy for her to find the file she’s looking for. She takes out the file from the rest of the stack and place it on his desk then she makes herself comfortable seating on his working chair before she begins to open up the file.

Sera can’t stop shaking her legs when she’s anxious and this is exactly what she’s doing right now while studying Lee Ahra profile.

Lee Ahra is a successful chef that own a little French restaurant in Itaewon, she basically great at cooking a lot of things but chose to make French cooking her forte since she got her title from Le Cordon Bleu. The woman is only in her early thirty and the reason she filed a divorce is simply because her husband cannot cater to her ual needs. What makes Sera more anxious is the fact that Lee Ahra is very pretty. Every client has to submit a frontal profile photo of them for documentation purpose, and Sera can tell that Lee Ahra face is fitting into Kyuhyun’s type. 

Sera closes the file in front of her and chose to put it back to his stack, she figures her anxiety is nonsense and she should just trust her husband. She knows how much he loves her anyway and looking back to their history, Sera’s certain Kyuhyun won’t betray her or do anything to harm her. With that thought in mind, she gets back to the living room to watch some more cooking videos.

 

*

 

Han Sera has kept her silence about the annoyance she feels towards Kyuhyun’s client for about a week. She’s giving Kyuhyun his space and honestly she’s about to burst out in anger because Kyuhyun has make another lunch appointment with his client outside of the office. Not that she’s possessive or anything, she’s just insecure, and to trick this situation, Sera figures it’ll be best if she comes along with him during lunch so she can meet with his client to erase her suspicion. She nags him by saying she wants to try to eat in his client’s restaurant that he talks about lately and Kyuhyun agreed as long as Sera doesn’t meddle in his client’s business.

Both of them are now walking towards Lee Ahra restaurant, Kyuhyun has arranged the meeting there so Sera can enjoy the food and doesn’t feel bored once they’re done eating—Kyuhyun will continue the meeting and Sera can take a walk around Itaewon to window shop.

He tells the waiter that they’re here for the owner and they’re given a seat at the back of the restaurant. Sera personally likes the decoration of the café, it makes her feel like she’s really in Paris with the little knick knacks spreads on the wall. The French song back sound only make the experience more authentic and after she takes a quick glance to the dessert fridge in front of the restaurant, she has to admit the dessert choices succeeded to impress her.

Sera was scanning through the menu in front of her when the owner of the restaurant comes and greets them.

“Ah, Kyuhyun-ssi, have you been waiting long enough?”

Sera’s jaw drops when she studies the woman in front of her. She knows from her profile picture in Kyuhyun’s file that she’s good looking. With her big almond eyes, sharp nose and high cheek bones, Lee Ahra won’t get any hardship to divert people attention to look at her. But what makes Sera more anxious is the way she looks from head to toe.

Lee Arha is a bombshell! The woman blessed with a tall and lean figure to completes the beautiful face of hers. She dresses provocatively by wearing a red bodycon dress that has a slit on the side of her thigh that cuts up midway of the thigh length. Sera can’t even begin to describe how perfectly round her s that look like they’re about to jump out of the tight dress she’s wearing. Sera looks down to her own chest and cringes because she knows her s are at least two size smaller than the woman in front of her.

If those aren’t enough to rise her insecurity, Kyuhyun is now shaking Lee Ahra’s hand and allows the woman to slightly kiss his check on both side—western formality, she assumed.

“Ahra-ssi, this is my wife, Han Sera.” Kyuhyun graces his hand towards Sera that’s now looking very idiotic since she tries to analyze so much in a short amount of time. “She’ll be having lunch with us, if you don’t mind. She curious to try the food on this restaurant of yours and I figure it wouldn’t hurt to take her with me. But after meal, she’ll stroll around by herself so we can get down to our business.”

Lee Ahra smiles formally to Sera and offers her hand also. “Nice to meet you, Han Sera-ssi. You are one lucky woman to have such amazing husband as he is.” Lee Ahra playfully taps Kyuhyun’s shoulder, “Unlike mine—which I’m about to divorce now.” She laughs to her own joke.

“Ne, I’m very lucky indeed.” Sera takes her hand and shake it halfheartedly.

“Please have a seat.” Lee Ahra gesture both of the to sit down. “I’ve prepared lunch a’la provence specially for the both of you. Oh and I don’t forget your favorite wine Kyuhyun-ssi, Senechaux 2006—the best year I believe.” She gives sign to her waitress to deliver the special meal she prepared for her guest.

Sera holds her desire to rolls her eyes when she hears Lee Ahra trying to impress Kyuhyun with wine.

Apparently, Lee Ahra’s idea is a good one because now his eyes are glistening in awe once the waitress pours in his favorite wine into the wine glass, “I don’t usually drink while I work, but I can make an exception for this.” He twirls his glass, smells the sweet aroma of the red wine then takes a sip of his favorite drink. “Beautiful, as always.” He adds after he gulps down the wine.

Sera feels like she’s now a pathetic girl that sits in between two people that tries to impress each other, she feels like a chaperone to Kyuhyun’s blind date with an amazing woman. She sits quietly and tries hard to enjoy her meal even though her mood is already ruined.

From her quick observation, Sera figures that Lee Ahra and Kyuhyun are close enough to each other since they don’t use each other’s tittle while addressing one another, but use their given names instead. She also notices how Lee Ahra really pays attention to what kind of food he likes and what irritates her more is the way Lee Ahra tries to touch Kyuhyun on his hand whenever she gets a chance. It’s like she just learned flirting 101 and tries to practice it to Sera’s husband.

“Kyu, I’ll take a walk around since I’m finished eating, I hope that’s okay.” Sera takes her napkin to dabs it on before she excuses herself from them. She can’t watch the ridiculous sight in front of her any longer and she can’t wait to get out of there simply to cringe her face in disgust. How could that woman try to flirt to her husband in front of her? Lee Ahra obviously needs to learn more on how to flirt and she definitely shouldn’t make Kyuhyun her practice target.

Sera tries to get her mind off her annoyance and divert her attention to the shops along Itaewon. It’s not her favorite place for a window shopping experience but it’s still much better than sitting in the restaurant. Kyuhyun also needs his confidentiality, so Sera can’t be there to listen to their conversation anyway.

She was just walking along when she spots something that tweaks her interest, she comes closer to the store and a smile draws on her face, she just gets an idea to make Kyuhyun forget about his new client.

 

*

 

Kyuhyun just came home from work a little late the next day. He’s dealing with his other client today—a man that just figured out about an affair his wife has. He hated it when he had to call Sera earlier to tell her that he had to skip dinner again. He knows how hard she puts her effort into making their married life a better one than she had before and he knows that cooking daily is one of her way to keep the romance alive between them.

He opens the door to their bedroom and tiptoes because he doesn’t want to wake her up, but the dimmed lighting in the room tells him at once that Han Sera has another plan for him.

He can feel his face blushing when he sees the wonderful woman that’s now lounging on their bed.

“You’re home.” Sera pulls her smile to the side then she gets up from the bed as she takes off her sleeping coat.

Kyuhun feels the pounding on hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter